As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk about guns!

PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited October 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
Someone in H/A insisted that gun threads don't work in D&D because the D&D mods have crazy agendas.

Well I know for a fact that they do, and that at least one of them is pro-gun. So let's have some fun!

A few starting points:
A home invasion successfully defended against by a shootout in the middle of the night is a cowboy fantasy with very little role in reality. It is exceedingly unlikely that you will experience the home invasion, be present at the time, have a gun and ammunition (both locked up separately and securely as they absolutely must be if you're not an idiot) nearby, manage to arm yourself and locate the intruder without alerting the intruder, and disable/kill the intruder without injury to bystanders. None of these elements are likely to ever happen independently, let alone all on the same occasion.

So let's not obsess over the effectiveness of given weapons in CQBs where you defend your home against an armed invader.

Gun control may or may not have an impact on crime in general. It's nothing we're going to solve by arguing it here. It may be effective against gun crime specifically under very specific circumstances, but is often ineffective in many other circumstances, which may or may not apply to the country, province, state, city or rural municipality in which you live. I personally don't care.

The Desert Eagle is a ridiculous weapon with virtually no real-world purpose to it. That doesn't make a 14" barrel with "Aim Away From Face" engraved into it any less awesome and I fully intend to own this one day. After I have a home, and a fireplace, whose mantel over which this will hang.

Finally, we're not going to talk about how likely a given round is to kill or disable any number of hypothetical assailants in any number of hypothetical physical or mental states. I don't care how many times you'd have to shoot someone using PCP with a 9mm Beretta vs. a Colt 1911 vs. a Browning Hi-Power 9mm vs. my semen exploding from my engorged member. Neither should you. If it's something you'll ever have to likely deal with you'll know someone else who is in the same boat as you and you can talk to them about it. Don't bring it up here. It's a retarded argument with no logical end.

Okay?

Deal.

So let's talk about guns. Let's talk about what you own, what you want to own, what's a lot of fun to shoot, that sort of thing. Let's provide help and advice regarding how to acquire guns legally, and help people figure out which hoops they will need to jump through to get one for themselves where they live. This will be a completely sane discussion of things that aren't completely unlikely or fucking retarded on their face, and no illegal advice will be given or recommended or discussed.

In short, this is a thread for responsible adults who like to make big bangs and watch pieces of paper 45 feet away explode. Come on, doesn't that sound awesome?

IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
Pheezer on

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay so let's get the ball rolling

Springfield Armories, the XD line. It literally stands for "Xtreme Duty".

Regardless of how good the weapon is, can you really look at a gun with that stylized XD engraved on it without groaning?

Pheezer on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I uh..

I own a paintball gun?

An Ion, it's pretty fun to shoot. I'd rather sell it and get a Phantom though.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I touched a gun once.

Satan. on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    XD is unabashedly ugly, but a good gun.

Seriously though, I think my Glock 19 is better looking than the XD .45.

but..if you want ugly

hipoint01.jpg

Hi-Points make babies cry

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How old is that gun? It looks like it was either used in stage coach robberies or is a prop you stole from the set of Firefly

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    When I was about fourteen, my mom made us get a gun after a friend of hers was killed in a rather terrible story involving armed burglary and rape. It was a 9mm of some flavor, and I rather enjoyed shooting it. I was pretty decent.

That's about the extent of my experience with a gun.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    How old is that gun? It looks like it was either used in stage coach robberies or is a prop you stole from the set of Firefly

Its a Hi-Point 995--early 90s' manafacture I think---they make ugly, cheap guns for the gangbanger or just the weekend warrior on a budget

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Heh, as I stated in the H/A thread I'm looking at buying the below pistol. Looks like it'll fit my all my needs, home defense & target practice.

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/5_of%20spotlight_pistol_subcompact.cfm

This will be the first weapon I own and may be the first I shoot in 7 years since I left the Army. I must note that if you ever want to get sick of shooting guns, join the Army. They take the fun out of it and by the time you're done shooting a 500-1000 rounds in practice over the course of two weeks you may never want to shoot again.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The storm series are good, the removable backstraps are a nice touch. Its a good choice if you ever decide to carry too.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »

Its a Hi-Point 995--early 90s' manafacture I think---they make ugly, cheap guns for the gangbanger or just the weekend warrior on a budget

Is there something wrong with me if I think it looks really, really cool in a sort of almost steampunk way?

Do they make any good guns or are they as crap as people like you think they look?

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    arod_77 wrote: »

Is there something wrong with me if I think it looks really, really cool in a sort of almost steampunk way?

Do they make any good guns or are they as crap as people like you think they look?

They are unreliable, not a good choice for zombies or anything, but ultimately if you just want to plink around the yard they aren't that bad

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want a BAR so bad. I know I can't get one that is automatic but I still want one. Such an amazing rifle.

bar.jpg

Shogun on
  • Options
    NumiNumi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I must note that if you ever want to get sick of shooting guns, join the Army. They take the fun out of it and by the time you're done shooting a 500-1000 rounds in practice over the course of two weeks you may never want to shoot again.

Sweet mercy yes! I was never much into guns but the army really just killed what little interest there might have been. But then again they also managed to take the fun out of urban combat, explosives, camping and pretty much everything else they could think of :P

Numi on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I only ever use bolt-action or semi-auto hunting rifles (<3 Mausers), the occasional pistol or shotgun, and, as a special treat, muskets. Muskets are fricking awesome. And they smell so good.

One of the local firing ranges has an Old West theme, and I have been itching to go there with a cowboy hat one of these days to shoot up cartoony pictures of evil rustlers for years now.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh man, a musket? Now that is just awesome.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They are such absolutely beautiful guns, and the whole process to load the shot is pretty cool.

One of these days though, I want to try a wheel lock or something.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My Italian-American grandfather still has his M1 Garand and Colt M1911 from World War 2 in his basement. I got to hold them one time.

After the war, he was in his basement back in New Jersey and had some sort of shell or something that he decided would be a good idea to shoot it with his pistol. Don't ask me why. He had 3 brothers and they were all really stupid. So he hits the thing, which explodes, and a piece of metal slices into his arm near the elbow.

It's still there today. Apparently it would have hurt him more to remove it.

He also has an Italian Beretta he found, but we don't speak about that...

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, what the hell? I am gun-friendly, and I was a mod for years.

In any case, I own the following:
    The Kimber Custom II
    custom2.jpg
    A good old 1911 .45. It's a great piece, but recently I've had the problem of it not loading the first round of a magazine correctly, it jams with the slide still back about a centimeter or so. I've been meaning to figure out what the problem is, but haven't had the time recently. It rarely does this with the remaining rounds, only if you hold it limp-wristed.

M44 Mosin-Nagant
    Mosin-NagantM44_thumb.jpg

It's a $79 piece of shit that doesn't shoot very straight and the bolt sticks no matter how well I clean out the chamber. It's still ridiculously fun for utterly destroying cinder blocks with a 7.62x54r round, comparable to a .308. Surplus ammo is heck of cheap as well, since the Russians made about 9 jillion too many rounds for their needs.

Remington 870 Express Magnum

rem_870_expsm_tky_syn.jpg

A 12 gauge shotgun that accepts 2-3/4 and 3 inch shells. I use it for bird hunting. Not much to say here, aside from it's exactly what you would expect.

Doc on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    How much do 9mm rounds normally go for, what is some of the cheaper bullets? I can't seem to find prices online as I guess you can't order them :lol:

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    9mm is pretty cheap. Not .22 cheap, but pretty cheap. If you google "9mm ammunition prices" you get about fifteen trillion online stores with their prices prominently displayed, so I don't know what you're doing wrong.

You can get really cheap 9mm ammunition for $150/1000. It looks like the price for average 9mm ammunition is around $150 for 500, though. There are a million different brands and flavors available though.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How much do 9mm rounds normally go for, what is some of the cheaper bullets? I can't seem to find prices online as I guess you can't order them :lol:

$9-12 per box of 50 is normal.

Doc on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've only ever shot a BB Gun. I would like to get in to target shooting just for fun, but my dad doesn't hunt so my family doesn't have any guns. My grandpa has a .22 rifle that I'm hoping he'll let me shoot at camp.

One day I'd like to buy a small pistol or a cheap rifle just for taking to the range for fun. I don't know if there are any ranges around here, though.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I own a number of firearms, in a variety of calibers. I enjoy shooting them. I have a .22LR semi-auto Ruger Mark II pistol, a .22LR bolt action (maybe a Marlin?), a 20 gauge 870 pump shotgun, a Winchester 1894, and a .50 cal flint lock muzzle loader, and a .357 Ruger Security Six revolver.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Doc, that M44 is incredibly sexy. If I ever get my shit together, I'm going to file for one of the old surplus bolts that the US sells at discount to interested parties. I'd probably mount it but I would also obsessively play with the action.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Shogun wrote: »
    I want a BAR so bad. I know I can't get one that is automatic but I still want one. Such an amazing rifle.

bar.jpg

As cool as it looks, I believe that it was actually on the unreliable side in terms of being fully automatic. Was common to have the barrel to overheat, and the mechanisms to jam when fired in full auto. Can't say how it is/was with just semi-auto.

CptKemzik on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You can't just "play" with an M44 action, its closer to having rough, coarse, man-sex.

I have a scout scope mounted on mine, which is pretty hilarious considering I can't even hit the broad side of a barn with the thing--the explosions are satisfying though.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've never fired a gun in my life but I own three of them - I inherited them from my grandma though I never intend to use them.

Though I'm pretty good at Unreal Tournament so I must be a crack shot in real life. There was a blip in the October issue of GFW where two boys in the 40s stole a plane and landed it. When the authorities asked how the two knew how to pilot an aircraft, they replied they saw it done in some comic books.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oboro wrote: »
    Doc, that M44 is incredibly sexy. If I ever get my shit together, I'm going to file for one of the old surplus bolts that the US sells at discount to interested parties. I'd probably mount it but I would also obsessively play with the action.

Seems excessive to try and get one through the government. They have tons of the rifles available in every gun shop everywhere for well under $100.

Doc on
  • Options
    KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I found an old Pepperbox at a gun show once, but I had no idea what it was at the time, so I didn't buy it. I want to kick myself every time I think of that.

pepperbox-web.jpg

I'd never fire it, but damn it would be awesome to show off.

Kilroy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A family friend shot himself in the wrist when he was priming his musket... and he apparently was following all the safety regulations, so muskets are not necessarily all that cool

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    A family friend shot himself in the wrist when he was priming his musket... and he apparently was following all the safety regulations, so muskets are not necessarily all that cool

Simple answer? He wasn't following all the safety regulations.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Doc wrote: »

Seems excessive to try and get one through the government. They have tons of the rifles available in every gun shop everywhere for well under $100.
    Useful!

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't own any guns yet, but I'd like to pick up a bolt-action rifle some day to just go shooting with. That's what I always shot as a kid, and I'd like to do it again someday.

thanimations on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007

Useful!

Not emotionally able to live in an apartment with a man, on and off medication: maybe you should think twice about having a firearm in your residence Oboro.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Shinto wrote: »

Useful!

Not emotionally able to live in an apartment with a man, on and off medication: maybe you should think twice about having a firearm in your residence Oboro.

You know this post really isn't necessary and doesn't steer this thread in a direction that really benefits anyone, right?

Maybe if you're trying to help Oboro you could do it via PM, or if you're trying to make a catty remark you could just fuck off? Your call. I don't care. Please drop it, though.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    A bit of a hypersensitive reaction.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    God, some of you people must be insufferable to work/co-habitate with (unless we agree, of course)

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Numi wrote: »
    I must note that if you ever want to get sick of shooting guns, join the Army. They take the fun out of it and by the time you're done shooting a 500-1000 rounds in practice over the course of two weeks you may never want to shoot again.

Sweet mercy yes! I was never much into guns but the army really just killed what little interest there might have been. But then again they also managed to take the fun out of urban combat, explosives, camping and pretty much everything else they could think of :P

And oddly, I'm the opposite. I still hate Army ranges, but I can find at least some enjoyment in shooting on them and they don't deter me from shooting elsewhere.

Also, for anybody who says that videogames can't teach people to be killers, I call bullshit. I had never fired a gun (even paintball) in my life before joining the Army. I signed up as a tanker, which meant I qualified on pistol instead of rifle. Got on the range, started shooting, and realized I didn't know how to miss. I mean, I wasn't exactly getting headshots or anything, but I hit those little green silhouettes without fail. Shot higher than anybody else in my platoon, including my drill sergeant, and including people who had fired handguns before.

I like to think that at least some portion of that was due to the many hours spent playing shit like Time Crisis 2 in the arcade.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I own a couple of rifles and a shotgun, but they are stored back home with my parents as I had no need for them in the city or while travelling.

When I went for my arms licence back in the day the interviewer asked me about home/self defence, and believe me, the pass answer is "I would never use a gun in self defence because it is wrong and besides, my gun and ammo will be safely locked away separately and I will have mailed the keys to my future self".

The way the arms licence process goes in NZ (assuming it hasn't changed in the last two years) is:
    1) You apply and pay your fee - 150$ or so - they give you the Arms Code
    2) You go to the Police Station and take an arms safety course run by volunteers - this is video+handling guns that have misfired.
    3) After safety course you sit a theory test of (23 must be answered correctly)25 questions. In theory you should be retarded if you can't pass it, but I've seen people fail it so there you go.
    4) On your licence application you must provide a non family character witness, and a family character witness (wife/partner usually). The police will come to their house and interview them for 30 minutes
    5) The police then interview you for 30 minutes.
    6) If you pass all that = you are posted a licence.

So it can take a couple of months to get. Since I already owned my guns (having been given them) I've never had to use the licence except as photo ID for bars or the like. Which became less funny when i actually got searched for a gun in London outside a pub (in the south of London they take handguns seriously!).

How long does it take and what is the process in your area?

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Kalkino wrote: »
    I own a couple of rifles and a shotgun, but they are stored back home with my parents as I had no need for them in the city or while travelling.

When I went for my arms licence back in the day the interviewer asked me about home/self defence, and believe me, the pass answer is "I would never use a gun in self defence because it is wrong and besides, my gun and ammo will be safely locked away separately and I will have mailed the keys to my future self".

The way the arms licence process goes in NZ (assuming it hasn't changed in the last two years) is:
    1) You apply and pay your fee - 150$ or so - they give you the Arms Code
    2) You go to the Police Station and take an arms safety course run by volunteers - this is video+handling guns that have misfired.
    3) After safety course you sit a theory test of (23 must be answered correctly)25 questions. In theory you should be retarded if you can't pass it, but I've seen people fail it so there you go.
    4) On your licence application you must provide a non family character witness, and a family character witness (wife/partner usually). The police will come to their house and interview them for 30 minutes
    5) The police then interview you for 30 minutes.
    6) If you pass all that = you are posted a licence.

So it can take a couple of months to get. Since I already owned my guns (having been given them) I've never had to use the licence except as photo ID for bars or the like. Which became less funny when i actually got searched for a gun in London outside a pub (in the south of London they take handguns seriously!).

How long does it take and what is the process in your area?

In Washington State, USA:
    Rifles/long guns: you fill out a form, they call up the feds, run a 5-minute background check on you, and hand you your rifle.
    Handguns: same stuff, but you have to wait 2 weeks to get your handgun. If you have a concealed carry permit, they will give it to you that day.

To get a concealed carry permit, you go to the county courthouse, fill out a form, pay $50, get fingerprinted, and you get it in the mail within 30 days or so. We are a "shall issue" state, which means that they are required to issue you one if you have a clean record. Any felonies and you are out (obviously, since you aren't even supposed to have guns if you are a felon), and some misdemeanors will get you disqualified as well (domestic abuse type stuff especially).

Doc on