Options

Operation Darkness: Panzer Dragoon=meh, Panzer vs Dragon=yay!

poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Games and Technology
So,

Operation Darkness is an XBOX 360 Strategy RPG which mines the fruitful/gonzo/awesome/ridiculous 'Nazis+Black Magic' genre made famous by Castle Wolfenstein.

It features Nazi Vampires

ss_007.jpg

SAS Werewolves

ss_032.jpg

Dragons

ss_003.jpg

and Sorcery

h-104_77532_o07.jpg.jpg

The graphics aren't amazing in static screenshots, though they're very detailed, very accurate, and in motion have some great effects (although the camera is a bit zoomy).

The sound effects are spot on (A Sten sounds like a Sten, a Schmeisser sounds like a Schmeisser)

ss_004.jpg

The plot concerns a group of SAS soldiers with magical powers fighting similarly-empowered Axis soldiers.

A little more plot:

A
new recruit, Edward, takes a bullet while fighting in North Africa. He is saved by a blood transfusion from a mysterious officer, James Gallant. Afterwards, Edward recovers un-naturally quickly and Gallant has Edward and his comrade Jude transferred to his platoon to keep an eye on him. Something.... interesting.... is going to happen next full moon.

Can you guess what?

The gameplay is turn-based, move and attack, but based on each character's speed rather than 'my side your side.' There is plenty of realistic gunplay, use of cover, and flanking, as well as the magical elements.

Operation Darkness also has an interesting cover system. You can set up the traditional 'opportunity fire', where you shoot at enemies moving into your line-of-sight and weapon range. This is called 'Cover Ambush' in the game. However, you can also select 'Cover Move' or 'Cover Attack', allowing your characters to co-ordinate moves and attacks (e.g. Jude attacks anyone Edward attacks, James runs around the building if an enemy gets close to him.)

The environments are destructible (fun with bazookas), and include tanks and other armour as enemies, as well as magical-types.

Characters have magic powers as well as firearms and explosives. Some characters can transform into hairy or fanged forms.

Official website (has English menus for easily navigability):

http://www.success-corp.co.jp/software/xbox360/operation-darkness

At the moment, it's only available on import (region-locked unfortunately), but Atlus USA has officially confirmed it for US release. Anyway, the Japanese version has English subtitles and info screens (albeit with some minor errors and comedy names such as 'Lancerot' 'Mirror (Miller)' and 'Break' (Blake). The import has Japanese voice-acting, but is otherwise completely playable in English. Even the tutorial hints and tips are in English.

Wait for the localized versions, or import if you can. This is a great game.

Finally, a video (with promised Dragon vs Tank):
Uncle Adolf is in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amL42cplxgs

I figure I could take a bear.
poshniallo on

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sold.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Those armor suits at the top are pretty much the Kerberos (Cerberus, whatever) troops from Jin-Roh.

Renzo on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dragons. Fucking Nazi dragons.

Someone buy me a 360.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did... did that guy just kill half a squad of Nazis by summoning the FIST OF GOD?

-SPI- on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Sold.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I apologise because I just found another OP on this game, which for some reason my search didn't pick up on before.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    WW2 has never been so awesome

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Panzer Dragoon=meh

I will never ever buy this game, just for this.

p.s. I will buy this game.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    vhzodvhzod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want it! When is it coming out in the US? I've never imported a game before if its region locked wouldn't it be kind of pointless to import it unless you have a japanese 360 lying around? It looks pretty damn awesome.

vhzod on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    vhzod wrote: »
    I want it! When is it coming out in the US? I've never imported a game before if its region locked wouldn't it be kind of pointless to import it unless you have a japanese 360 lying around? It looks pretty damn awesome.

Unfortunately this game is supposed to be region-locked, though many 360 games are region-free.

The Atlus USA site just says '2008'.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Sold.

Cannot wait for a U.S. release

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This made me think of
    ss_007.jpg

this:
    Killzone.jpg

Uncanny.

Seriously though, this looks goddamn awesome. Nazis + sci-fi has always worked well, so Nazis + fantasy should be just great.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did you say strategy RPG? With dragon Nazis?

Where's my damn checkbook.

Hevach on
  • Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    This made me think of
    ss_007.jpg

this:
    Killzone.jpg

Uncanny.

Seriously though, this looks goddamn awesome. Nazis + sci-fi has always worked well, so Nazis + fantasy should be just great.

and Killzone stole it from this.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You got your Nazi's in my Peanutbutter! You got your Peanutbutter in my Nazi's!

I would certainly download a demo

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wenchkilla wrote: »
    This made me think of
    ss_007.jpg

this:
    Killzone.jpg

Uncanny.

hellboy. <3

.la1n on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yep, there've been threads on this before.

But honestly it bears repeating: awesome concept.

Reminds me a little of the recent Michael Moorcock White Wolf's Daughter trilogy, with Klosterheim leading Nazis through various universes to find the Holy Grail while Elric tries to stop them with his evil soul-sucking runeblade.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Panzer Dragoon =/= meh.

take it back

LewieP on
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There is a demo up on the japanese marketplace. Unfortunately Microsoft seems to have 'fixed' the region locking. I used to be able to get japanese demos, now all I get is 'this product is not available for your region'

D:

chamberlain on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The concept is neat, and the gameplay looks awesome. However, it's kind of jarring to see SS strippers and B Grade anime rejects side by side with conventional character models that'd look right at home in Hidden & Dangerous or Close Combat.

Doronron on
  • Options
    ReskiloberReskilober Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    Oh fuck, I NEED to get an Xbox 360 now...

I mean, holy fuck...

Reskilober on
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If this doesn't get a US release, heads will roll.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If this doesn't get a US release, heads will roll.

Check the OP again. It's coming here via Atlus USA.

I'll be picking this up. Looks like some nice turn based X-Com esque action.

Plus Werewolves. Can't really see this going wrong.

EDIT: Man, those are some EVIL looking nazi bitches.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It hasn't been released in the US until it's in my hands.

TwistedJester on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I want this like, now.

Any idea at all when its getting a US release? Fucking region locking.

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well damn, the only thing that would make this better is the ability to play as the Germans.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember the other thread on this, and it was pretty spectacular. This reminds me of Silent Storm, only it being Silent Storm XIII: The Sweetening.

The sounds for the respective weapons are perfect, and I enjoy seeing all those types of tanks in-game. I wonder if Japan realizes what side it was on during that war... that's probably why it's the Western front with only the British. Fair enough, really.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It won't stop me from getting this game but those graphics are utter shit. Looks like a PS2 game.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    MoogPaulMoogPaul Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    does the "make a new name in Japan marketplace, download and delete user name" trick still work for this demo? or is the demo itself also region locked?

MoogPaul on
    moogpaul.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    You can't even download the demo. The download is region locked.

Renzo on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Atlus + high demand x WWII / zombies = out of print in a week.

Maybe I'll actually have the system when it comes out.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well don't we know someone in Japan? I do but he's back here on vacation. The Jerk. He doesn't own a XBox either. Asshole. I will set aside some money for this. Is there any possibility of multiplayer?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Company of Heroes fans will notice that the Nazi Vampires have FG42s.

Fuck that weapon.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The graphics are quite nice when in motion - lots of jump-cuts, motion blur etc. I agree that the character models are nothing special, but together with the environments (e.g. sand whirling around when in the desert) it all looks good to me.

It has random missions as well as story missions. So far, it's not had much strategic depth, but there's plenty of tactical depth. You don't get to see numbers a lot, though - I still don't really understand what kind of objects provide good cover, and how much.

I'm thinking that the strategics (i.e. character customisation) will improve now that magic has reared its black head.

Mild story spoilers ahead:
    The first time something magical happens (our two POV characters don't know that anything odd is going on, so they're a bit shocked).

We're attacking about 8 or 9 German soldiers (I won't give details), and we take them out, along with an armoured car. The last German drops, and I'm feeling self-congratulatory...

Then suddenly 40 or so zombies in tattered German uniforms erupt from the ground! Some of them have lugers, but they're terrible shots...

My sniper kills zombies until she runs out of ammo, then she runs forward to grab a weapon from a fallen soldier.

BOOM! Landmine! She survives (medpack=unrealistic=Idon'tmindatall), grabs an MG-34 and starts blazing away. Others run forward with SMGs, Grenades, even a Bazooka. More Landmines! Everyone stops moving, just pouring fire into the poor zombies until they finally stop moving once more.

Excellent. The only problem now is that I have to go do a non-story mission because my sniper is 6 levels higher than anyone else now.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Malkor wrote: »
    Well don't we know someone in Japan? I do but he's back here on vacation. The Jerk. He doesn't own a XBox either. Asshole. I will set aside some money for this. Is there any possibility of multiplayer?

There is Live multiplayer, but I haven't tried it yet. I will soon, to see how it goes.

poshniallo on
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    poshniallo wrote: »
    The first time something magical happens (our two POV characters don't know that anything odd is going on, so they're a bit shocked).

We're attacking about 8 or 9 German soldiers (I won't give details), and we take them out, along with an armoured car. The last German drops, and I'm feeling self-congratulatory...

Then suddenly 40 or so zombies in tattered German uniforms erupt from the ground! Some of them have lugers, but they're terrible shots...

My sniper kills zombies until she runs out of ammo, then she runs forward to grab a weapon from a fallen soldier.

BOOM! Landmine! She survives (medpack=unrealistic=Idon'tmindatall), grabs an MG-34 and starts blazing away. Others run forward with SMGs, Grenades, even a Bazooka. More Landmines! Everyone stops moving, just pouring fire into the poor zombies until they finally stop moving once more.

Excellent. The only problem now is that I have to go do a non-story mission because my sniper is 6 levels higher than anyone else now.
    That sounds excellent. This game cannot come out soon enough. The 360 badly needs more RPGs of all types. Is there even anything that would be considered a SRPG on the 360?

grrarg on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    grrarg wrote: »
    poshniallo wrote: »

That sounds excellent. This game cannot come out soon enough. The 360 badly needs more RPGs of all types. Is there even anything that would be considered a SRPG on the 360?

There's the Arcade title Band of Bugs, but there isn't a full disc game, no.

Renzo on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I must have this game. I WILL have this game. Even if I must tear it from the cold, undead hands of a nazi skeleton warrior.

yalborap on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It's funny that MS was rather diligent and quick when it came to fixing region locking on marketplace content, something that never hurt anybody, yet when it comes to XBL users wanting to do something as natural as moving from one company to another they are SOL.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dude summoning a fist of god to take down the third reich?
    Fucking sold

B.C. on
    Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112