As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Infinity Engine - The best RPGs the world has ever known are only on IE

PancakePancake Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Games and Technology
The Infinity Engine

The Infinity Engine is a 2D engine built in-house by BioWare Corp to power the latest and greatest games running on the 2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons ruleset and saw its first release on December 21, 1998. It drove five separate games and four expansion packs until it fell out of use in 2002.

Not an incredibly versatile engine, nor the easiest to work with, or even the prettiest, it has still managed to power some of the most compelling and complex role-playing experiences to date, from sprawling epics across the Sword Coast to heart wrenching and emotional planehopping adventures to discover one's self to slogs through dungeons fighting the fiercest creatures in Faerun's Frozen North, the Infinity Engine never failed to deliver an amazing experience that constantly built on what was done before.

The Best Games Ever Made

Baldur's Gate

sgateboxsj0.png

It all began on December 21, 1998, when a small, largely unknown developer from Canada that happened to have been founded by two medical doctors released the game that singlehandedly revitalized the dying RPG genre.

Building upon what had been done in previous AD&D CRPGs, BioWare built Baldur's Gate, a large, sprawling game set around the Forgotten Realms city of Baldur's Gate.

You are a young orphan of your choice of gender, race, class, appearance, and voice that has been raised in the monastic fortress library of Candlekeep under the tutelage of the wizard Gorion. You and your foster father are to be leaving Candlekeep today, though he won't tell you why or where you're going. After leaving, it's only a short while before you're ambushed by a large man in dark and intimidating armor who speaks to Gorion about wanting his ward. Gorion yells for you to run and stays behind to delay pursuit.

In the morning you're met by your old childhood friend Imoen who followed you out of Candlekeep unbeknownst to Gorion and she joins you. Now you two are alone and stranded in the wilderness of the Sword Coast with only a letter left behind by Gorion suggesting you seek some of his friends at the Friendly Arms Inn.

Planescape: Torment

planescapetormentboxmg4.jpg

Almost a year later, on December 12, 1999, Planescape: Torment was released, making it the second game to have used the Infinity Engine and the third game total for Interplay-owned developer Black Isle Studios. It is constantly hailed as one of the deepest and most meaningful RPGs ever made if not the deepest and most meaningful RPG ever made. It's filled to the brim with interesting characters and interactions, rich role-playing possibilities, and a storyline interesting, twisting, and heart wrenching.

You are the Nameless One, a heavily scarred man who wakes up inside a mortuary after having been brought there as a corpse. You have no memory of who you are or where you've been and you seemingly cannot die. With a cryptic message carved into your back and a floating talking skull your only companion, you set off into the city of Sigil to discover who you are, what you've done, and why you cannot die, and one question above all will follow you on your quest.

What can change the nature of a man?

Icewind Dale

106575755900wb9.jpg

Icewind Dale was Black Isle's second IE game and was released on June 20, 2000 and marked the first dungeon crawler on the Infinity Engine. It takes away the compelling plots and character interaction of the previous games and instead throws you into a hack and slash adventure across the Frozen North in a series of challenging and compelling encounters.

Your band of adventurers has found itself in Easthaven, one of the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale, the northernmost region of Faerun. It's a cold and inhospitable place populated with the some of the fiercest and most cunning creatures to walk the surface of the continent. You've taken to resting in the town's tavern when your party is approached by Hrothgar, leader of Easthaven, who asks you to take part in an expedition to the nearby town of Kuldahar. Word has come that strange things are afoot and Hrothgar wants to investigate.

The expedition starts as it should, but soon the caravan is ambushed by giants and you're waylaid in the wilderness of Icewind Dale.

Baldur's Gate 2

bgiicovernv9.png

Baldur's Gate 2 marked the second and last BioWare game to be made with the Infinity Engine. It was released on September 24, 2000 to wide acclaim and commercial success, outdoing every single IE game thus far. The series remains large and sprawling and decidedly amazing and has moved down from Baldur's Gate to Amn and most specifically centering around the city of Athkatla, the City of Coin, a city built around mercantilism and all the scheming and backstabbing both literal and figurative that entails.

Having survived the events of the first game, you have been capture near the city of Baldur's Gate by unknown assailants. They have transported you to a dungeon in an unknown location along with your compatriots and you have been kept there for an indeterminant amount of time. You and Imoen have been tortured and broken and experimented upon by the crazed mage Irenicus.

It isn't long before his lair is assaulted by unknown attackers dressed in black and Imoen seizes the opportunity and escapes before releasing you. Finding a few old allies and one new, you must make your escape and reach the surface, wherever that may be.

Finally reaching the surface, you stumble out into Athkatla's Waukeen's Promenade and straight into a magical battle. Irenicus in his show of magical strength in dealing with his attackers has attracked the attention of Amn's Cowled Wizards who seek to capture and imprison him. He eventually relents and allows himself to be taken, but demands that if he is to be taken, so is Imoen.

And now the race is on to find Imoen and Jon Irenicus in the fortress prison of Spellhold and find what it is Irenicus wants and why he needs it so badly.

Icewind Dale 2

icewinddaleiiboxshot211yc0.jpg

Icewind Dale is the third IE game to be made by Black Isle and overall the last IE game to ever be made and see commercial sales. Released on August 27, 2002, Icewind Dale 2 is a very similar experience to the first Icewind Dale but for one difference: Icewind Dale 2 is the first and only Infinity Engine game to use the 3rd Edition D&D ruleset.

Your party is a band of adventurers out of the city of Luskan responding to a plea for help from the town of Targos, another one of the Ten Towns of Icewind Dale. As our adventurers arrive at the town via ship, the find the docks and all its ships ablaze. Goblins are attacking and you have to put them down. While that's fairly easily done, soon the main force attacks and your party and a few ragtag defenders are all that stands between the goblin forces and Targos.

The Mods

The Infinity Engine was never designed for easy modding and was never really intended to be modded, but a few enterprising individuals have figured out how to do it quickly and easily and with a minimum of mod conflicts and game breaking problems.

As of now, there is a staggering number of mods for the IE games, all of varying quality, of course, but you can find nearly all of them at the Pocket Plane Group's modlist: http://modlist.pocketplane.net/

wAgWt.jpg
Pancake on

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's not too little negatives in the title, which confuses me.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Odd hour to put up a new thread. Though I'm awake, due to my not sleeping and all.

dragon_walk.gif

Its really stunning how good the infinity engine looks.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    There's not too little negatives in the title, which confuses me.

Yeah, right.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hurm....perhaps I should finally get around to playing Baldur's Gate. I've started it a few times in the past and gotten bored (I know, heresy).

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Odd hour to put up a new thread. Though I'm awake, due to my not sleeping and all.

dragon_walk.gif

Its really stunning how good the infinity engine looks.

Tell that to all the game reviewers that constantly bashed the Infinity Engine games for being 2D with pre-rendered backgrounds rather than late 90's/early 00's 3D.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Planescape: Torment was my favorite by a huge margin. God I love that game.

Now I have to go play it again.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Pancake wrote: »
    Tell that to all the game reviewers that constantly bashed the Infinity Engine games for being 2D with pre-rendered backgrounds rather than late 90's/early 00's 3D.

Thats because Western gamers, unlike Japanese ones, have a hardon for polygons.

Infinity engine sprites were made the same way as Diablo's, they are based on 3d models. Which makes them look really, really good. Diablo 1 still looks amazing, too, though the lack of a run button makes the gameplay rather dated.

3d games like NWN 1 (which looked pretty damn bad at the time) look like ass now.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That dragon gif reminded me of how incredible the dragon battle music was in BG2.

You're going up against a dragon and without breaking the game, it's going to be difficult but it's also going to be so awesome when you finally kill it and the music just fit so perfectly.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BG 2 soundtrack is free online, last time I checked. And by that, I mean legally.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BG 2 soundtrack is free online, last time I checked. And by that, I mean legally.

I know, I have it, but the dragon battle song was shuffled into the ambient track for the dragon lair and takes up the second half of it.

Is it still around, anyway? I got it off the Interplay website a long time ago when the Baldur's Gate/BG2 and all expansions boxed set came out and it didn't contain the soundtrack CD promised on the box. Interplay isn't exactly around anymore, though.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BG1 was good times waaaay back before I had the internet. Me and my uncles would LAN and kick some monster butt without any knowledge of the DnD ruleset whatsoever (the best we knew was to sleep to recharge our spells or something). We reached the actual BG city, and then never played it again, I think because some new games came out.

Never did get into BG2, and PS:Torment I ran into a glitch or something, where I couldn't find this succubus type NPC despite running around the same areas in the city you start once you escaped (IIRC) 3 times over.

Sometimes I wish I could find a bunch of people to fully complete BG1, but it requires too much time and commitment which I don't have these days :(

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've completed BG 2 several times. I tried making a fighter/mage dual class on a new playthrough a while back, and when I got through BG 1, I sorta lost interest 'cause dual classing is such a bother in second edition. I guess nearly ten years of 3rd edition has soured me on AD&D in general. Dual classing is the thing that bothers me the most, though - I can live with THAC0 and all that.

Did anyone else not really like Throne of Bhaal? It just seems like they went way overboard with everything. Every shitty guard had +2 swords on him, you couldn't go 5 steps without tripping over another Bhaalspawn, and killing gods and Demogorgon was a bit much. I guess I don't really enjoy epic levels all that much, since they tend to break the game. My interest in ToB faded pretty fairly quickly since it just seemed too ridiculous most of the time.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    HearthjawHearthjaw Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Restarting a BG1 game like now...or far more likely tomorrow when I wake up.

Hearthjaw on
    steamid: sewersider
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I liked Throne of Bhaal, and actually thought I was in a minority there. I don't necessarily like epic gameplay, but I enjoyed it in ToB because I was using a character I'd had since level one; and because the games are lengthy I really did feel a huge sense of achievement in how much growing up my character had done.

BG2 had all of these little things that really added to the game for me; the way you get your own stronghold - I had my own castle! Awesome! - the detailed (compared to other RPGs, both old and new) romances, cameos/recurring characters from the first game, etc. I really did feel a part of an epic world.

Janson on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like the way BG2 looks because of the detail that went into the backgrounds, it's a lot of work and requires a lot of expertise to make a static background look so alive as it is in BG2. The environmental sounds add to this as well, walking around the docks at night you can hear the people in the distance yelling and fighting.

I did not like the pathfinding, though. D:

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    I like the way BG2 looks because of the detail that went into the backgrounds, it's a lot of work and requires a lot of expertise to make a static background look so alive as it is in BG2. The environmental sounds add to this as well, walking around the docks at night you can hear the people in the distance yelling and fighting.

I did not like the pathfinding, though. D:

Under the config, you can set the memory alloted to pathfinding to an absurdly high number thanks to modern processors. Plus, friendly characters no long block each other, ala BG 1.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Under the config, you can set the memory alloted to pathfinding to an absurdly high number thanks to modern processors. Plus, friendly characters no long block each other, ala BG 1.
    ...Why did I never notice that option? :(

Aldo on
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IE games are awesome in part due to the 2D pre-rendered/painted backgrounds and sprites. They age pretty damn well, with issues only with resolution(which can be fixed in most cases with mods and whatnot).

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, the amount of attention to detail is absolutely stunning.

Also agree on the sound effects - lots of great background noise.

Janson on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I got Baldur's Gate II for Christmas but I am having a hard time getting into it

It is very hard for me to think of an interface being any clunkier

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    2D is timeless, 3D is not, that's why a lot of old 3D games look like unplayable ass, and old 2D games still look good.

I tried to play a N64 game the other day, couldn't stand it. Pure ass.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I got Baldur's Gate II for Christmas but I am having a hard time getting into it

Seriously? Try playing BG1 then.

After seeing those beautiful backrounds of Bioware's Sonic RPG, I'd really like to know what a new Baldur's Gate game would look like today (even if it'd be just on the DS).

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

tooltips and spell descriptions in your spellbook are your friends. Also: put the resolution as high as possible.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I loves me some BGII. And BGI, and PS:T.

Oh Bioware. How I love you. Now release more games on systems I have, losers.

Khavall on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2008
    correction: release more good games on systems i have

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah ok, if Icewind Dale III were to come out on the PC I'd kill some bitches.

But like, other than the Icewind Dale games I don't think there has been a BioWare game I haven't liked.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, technically the ID games aren't Bioware

Not a fan of the ID games, either. Tried slogging through 2 (and I did get 3/4ths of the way, according to FAQs, before I found my party really lacking) and it was just...boring. No interesting characters. A plot that did not really involve my party in any direct manner. A cold, snowy world with no variation.

Janson on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The IE was the best thing that ever happened to PC gaming.

Burgu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Play NWN 2. In fact, play any other RPG, since BG 2 has a very easy to use interface. One of the best. I have no idea what some of you people consider "good" though, since I've heard people complain about Fallout's, too. The buttons are all there, on the screen.

And to the above, yes, IWD was not Bioware. The first game fed you XP, too. I didn't like that. Didn't make me feel like I was levelling up fair and square.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Burgu wrote: »
    The IE was the best thing that ever happened to PC gaming.
    The (point n click) adventure games would like to have a word with you, sir.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    2D is timeless, 3D is not, that's why a lot of old 3D games look like unplayable ass, and old 2D games still look good.

I tried to play a N64 game the other day, couldn't stand it. Pure ass.

I'm sorry, that statement is full of shit. 2D isn't timeless, good art design is timeless.

It's a logical fallacy you've just made, plain and simple. It has little to do with how many dimensions the game is programmed in. It's all about art design. It just so happens that games programmed in 2D, especially these days, have much more focus in the art department. But correlation does not equal causation.

Recoil42 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I love BG's interface, but I always wondered if that was because it was the first RPG I ever played.

Janson on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    I love BG's interface, but I always wondered if that was because it was the first RPG I ever played.

It wasn't even close to the first I played, and its still one of the best UI's I've seen.

First time I played it, though, I was like "what is all this shit?"

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I started Planescape: Torment last week.

Maybe this time I'll actually finish it.

I can't remember how far I've gotten before, but I seem to remember getting Ignus to join me... At the very least, I remember I got to the point where I could change classes.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Recoil42 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, that statement is full of shit. 2D isn't timeless, good art design is timeless.

It's a logical fallacy you've just made, plain and simple. It has little to do with how many dimensions the game is programmed in. It's all about art design. It just so happens that games programmed in 2D, especially these days, have much more focus in the art department. But correlation does not equal causation.
    Truth!

Aldo on
  • Options
    jagermeister73jagermeister73 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So I just got done with the maze in Spellhold *don't read unless you've made it to the maze*
    holy fucksticks I didn't see that coming with Yoshimo! I had to go to a previous save, thank god it was right before entering spellhold so I could strip the backstabbing bastard of all his gear. Man nice little plot twist there. I'm getting sad for I feel the game is winding down to a close but I'm only lvl 11! How far from the end am I?

jagermeister73 on
    jagermeister73.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So I just got done with the maze in Spellhold *don't read unless you've made it to the maze*
    holy fucksticks I didn't see that coming with Yoshimo! I had to go to a previous save, thank god it was right before entering spellhold so I could strip the backstabbing bastard of all his gear. Man nice little plot twist there. I'm getting sad for I feel the game is winding down to a close but I'm only lvl 11! How far from the end am I?
    The best is yet to come. You're somewhere half way through the main questline

Aldo on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Aaargh, such a hard choice.

Minsc dual wielding that legendary hammer and the flail of ages, how can that not be awesome. But I always bring him in my party, and a change would be kind of cool.

Mazzy probably doesn't have the same insane killing power, and I will be down to one melee fighter. On the other hand she promises to be a hoot since Korgan is in the party. She will be rabid about my disliked reputation though...

Vic on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Well..

I was level... 20 or so when I did spellhold because I did every damn side quest for every damn person all the damn time. I knew about Yoshi, but I totally forgot that I'd have to level up goddamn Immy until I actually had to. It's hard to tell where you are in the game, because you can take 40 hours on not the main story line, or you can plow through and the plot is much shorter. You've still got some fun stuff ahead though.

Khavall on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    IE games and Fallout was my late-teen gaming.

I think I was blessed, or something.

Zen Vulgarity on