As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

FLYSIS - Starfox Reborn as an MMO

F-Zero_RacerF-Zero_Racer Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
Main website here
Download Here

Like Starfox? Then you'll love this game. At it's core, it is Starfox mixed with some gooey korean goodness. It turned out to not be so horrible. Grind is there, but what makes up for it is the absolutely batshit insane PvP and huge battles you end up fighting later on. I'm talking 100vs100 fights with explosions and ships blowing up everywhere.

Fun.

You have a total of four ships that you choose from the beginning, each having it's own unique play style and abilities that you get to customize. They are called Gears.

bgearpn9.gif
The B-Gear, also known as the Bomber. These guys you will learn to FEAR, as they deal out massive damage. They are the bane to A-Gears, and are bad for anyone else they can get above on.

mgearym5.gif
The M-Gear, also known as Support Bitch. He's your best friend in formations, PvP, grinding and anything else you can think of. He's boring to play, but once he's in a group he really shines. An M-Gear can mean the difference between life and death. He's really slow to grind, so if you are playing him try to do so in groups or else you'll want to rip your hair out. He is also fairly hard to kill one on one, so bring a friend.

igearsr2.gif
I-Gear, otherwise seen as the Fighter. He's the guy who zooms in and out of the battlefield, firing missles and generally going pew pew on his enemies.* He's extremely fragile, so you must take extreme caution. Since he relies on agility, his evasion makes it hard for anyones shots to hit.

If you're new to Flysis, the I-Gear is the best to go. Fastest leveler out of all the characters.

agearvr8.gif
A-Gear, the Artillery. He can dish out some extreme damage, that is, if foes ever come in his range. He's a tank in that you'll spend most of your time grounded, shooting people flying above and around you. Due to this, he has a huge amount of energy and shield, meaning that he's rather hard to kill. Mind you, he's also a sitting duck when he's in Siege Mode, so take care that you have some allies to support you if you get swarmed.

And a few images:
horuslastbreathue3.jpg
skadi1tnailzk2.jpg
(If you have more images you want me to add, feel free to PM me with them and i'll throw them on here)

We will be rolling BCU on the first server under the name Balrog Armed Division (Yes...B.A.D). Goons are ANI, so expect some fierce competition.

F-Zero_Racer on

• Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This sounds awesome.

Downloading the Client now.

Edit: My god, 1.4 gigs, and the server's running at about 50 kb/s. This will take like 8 hours. Is there are torrent link?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    HOW CAN YOU RENAME THE AWESOME "SPACE COWBOY" INTO FLYSIS?! WHAT. THE. HELL.

Also. This is a fun game. BUt it's a MMO. So lots of grinding.

Forcing a formation gives pretty damn awesome feeling in a party.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Well, the original Space Cowboy shut down, so.

And yeah, it has grinding. But the PvP more than makes up for it.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Flysis? No.. This is SpaceCowboy reborn.

edit: beat'd :S

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Downloading now. Are we sure we need to be locked into that specific guild name? I would figure we could find some Backronym for W.A.N.G.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So how is this different than when it was called Space Cowboy? Or is it just the same game released by a new company under a new name?

Space Cowboy was interesting for a bit, but the terrible out-of-ship avatars, the grindy leveling, and the repetitive fetch quests (but in a spaceship!) turned me off. Granted, I was too low level to try any PVP, so maybe that's the draw?

Also, we have an MMO subforum for threads like this.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Every MMO has grinding, so it's a moot point.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    So how is this different than when it was called Space Cowboy? Or is it just the same game released by a new company under a new name?

Space Cowboy was interesting for a bit, but the terrible out-of-ship avatars, the grindy leveling, and the repetitive fetch quests (but in a spaceship!) turned me off. Granted, I was too low level to try any PVP, so maybe that's the draw?
    Well, they have done quite a few changes, mainly regardling map movement and gear balance, but they have made it so you can PvP from 11 and onward.

I was a bit on the fence about the game too up until I experienced PvP. It's really a whole different game when you fight other players.

edit: The reason I didn't put this in the MMO subforum is because I wouldn't get nearly as many people trying to play this if I did. It would end up dying out.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This sounds kind of fantastic. I will check it out in the next day or two as I am a huge Starfox fan and this looks fun.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man, I ground my A Gear in Space Cowboy up to like 39, I don't want to do that again.

But the A Gear was cool. FLYING TANK!

Dartboy on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Had a 50-something A-Gear with almost every point put into attack. During sieges, I could take down the enemy as well as the higher level players. No time to waste on an MMO at the moment. :|

Valkun on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Koreans have a special kind of MMO grind.

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Pharezon wrote: »

Koreans have a special kind of MMO grind.
    Silkroad wrote:
    Wuchon Road infested with Demon Ghosts, please to be eliminating 1000 Demon Ghosts from Wuchon Road.

Yeah, very special kind of MMO grind.

Kane Red Robe on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have to agree on names-

Space cowboy:^:
    FLYSIS :v:

Also this game got boring slightly slower than something like silkroad, but not by much. It's an interesting game, but it just devolves into the standard korean uber-grind but you occasionally do a barrel roll. In fact it actually seemed like it had less direction than most when I played it the first time around, not sure if they fixed that.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Space Cowboy was one of the better free MMOs to come from Asia, so this restart should be fun enough. I'll put a link to this thread in the Uber List, so don't look surprised when dozens of people start posting here.

haha, who am I kidding, hardly anyone reads the Uber List, I'm only writing this down so people will check the Uber List.

... :cry:

Aldo on
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Downloading, should be done when I'm back from work. That game looks pretty damn good.

Djiem on
  • Options
    SparrowSparrow Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember back when this was Space Cowboy and the first character update. I could have sworn my out of ship avatar was a guy, but after that update it turned my walking blob with sticks into a Korean version of Laura Croft. O_o

The site is also telling me that the game is still in closed beta, are you still able to play?

Sparrow on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm wondering how well something like this can control with just a KB&M, but I'll try anything once. And hey, if there's actually joystick support, there's a reason to dust off the ol' Sidewinder.

There's a torrent out there for the download. Link withheld due to questionable content, but a simple "Flysis torrent" search on Google will get you it.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This is one of the few Korean-style MMO's with good combat. I'll get it again, especially if some PA'ers are playing.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, they have done quite a few changes, mainly regardling map movement and gear balance, but they have made it so you can PvP from 11 and onward.

So they actually added a way for low level players to reach each other? The zone setup for Space Cowboy was horrible, the only connection between the two areas was the highest level zone, so you pretty much had to be near max level to PVP.

jothki on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm wondering how well something like this can control with just a KB&M, but I'll try anything once. And hey, if there's actually joystick support, there's a reason to dust off the ol' Sidewinder.

Think Freelancer. It's anything but a flight/space sim.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    How many people are playing this?

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    RolloutRollout Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I've had a level 6x I-Gear in SCO before the whole PA brigade went inactive and I lost interest. Since the 3 days of Flysis closed beta I played, I've noticed the following changes from SCO.

-New tutorial- Really goes through the basic and explains everything.

-Voice acting- A female voice will lead you across everything, if you couldn't read. A bit loud.

-Beginner town- There's a town where undecided players starts, instead of starting in Bygeniou. Limited NPCs and shops, but the missions and beginner grounds are the same as before.

-Arena- There's now an arena where BCU and ANI can match up and fight. There's a range of level restriction. Level 11-31 can only fight others players of the same level, level 32-50 needs to find people around that range and I haven't seen higher.

-New Quest log- The quest log looks different and you can now see an image of the guy giving you missions. It show up at the top of the screen when you reach the level required for a new mission or complete a standard mission.

A few comments about BCU vs ANI. BCU is getting a little beaten up right now because a large portion of the SomethingAwful forums apparently signed up for ANI and grinds like mad. There's level 50 ANIs right now while most of the better BCUs still stands at 35 and lower. As I type, BCU is being raided, making my training impossible.

Rollout on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is this space cowboy? I tried playing it but it was reallllllllllly boring and laggy :\

Has there been like super big changes?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    One of the coolest things I liked about Space cowboy was the built in MP3 player. Put some MP3s in a specific folder in the in-game directory and bam, you got your own custom soundtrack without having to alt-tab between stuff.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Built in MP3 Player?

I'm going to just stick Kenny Loggins in there and I'm set.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did anyone else get a trojan warning from the download link in the OP? It says it's the game executable. I just want to see what other people think before I let it run.

Edit: After reading the official forums, it looks like a false positive.

Aiserou on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This looks like Space Cowboy.

rayofash on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    rayofash wrote: »
    This looks like Space Cowboy.
    Space Cowboy shut down in December, this is a restart by another company.

Aldo on
  • Options
    MetaHybridMetaHybrid Taste defeat!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Okay, I'm downloading this. If it's anything like Star Fox I will have to try it.

MetaHybrid on
    3DS: 3265-5577-2211 NNID: Metahybrid
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, this really caught my eye. Downloading it now. Possible to play with a 360 controller, or is it only viable to use KBAM?

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Since i'm level 20 now, I need a mix of PA/Platformer people in a formation to create a brigade. Once you choose BCU (as I can't create a brigade with those in the mercenary faction), add FZeroRacer to your friends and when i'm on, go ahead and invite me to a formation or notify me or something.

F-Zero_Racer on
  • Options
    VoranthVoranth MI NOMBRE, POR CIERTO ES DONTÉ!Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I remember trying this when it was still Space Cowboy, but it kept crashing my computer so I gave up. It still looks pretty cool, so I might as well give it another try. Downloadin' now.

Voranth on
    camo_sig2.png
    PS4: Voranth
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I wanted to try this, but it wouldn't let me register with my hotmail account =(

Camui on
  • Options
    PentPent Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Is this like... a 3D version of subspace?

Pent on
    :winky:
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Already went ANI to play with goons, as if I'm starting over.

And the op can't say it any differently - starfox style arcade mmo.

And this is a carbon copy of space cowboy, though the name is different. They updated parts and added more to the game like arena combat and crap.

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This looks fucking awesome.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    tendoboy101tendoboy101 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So for a nub, IGear is the way to go? Is there a PA guild? Once my downloads stop corrupting and I get it to install, I'll be tearing it up ingame as Tendo.

tendoboy101 on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man I am not downloading this tonight. says it would take like 4 hours.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    YesNoMuYesNoMu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Q: Do the old accounts still work? Has anyone tried?

I quit SC once the "quests" degenerated into "Collect 50 of these rarely-dropped enemy loots!" I don't suppose they've made it any more interesting?

YesNoMu on
    camo_sig2.png