As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Wager

BryanSalvatoreBryanSalvatore Registered User new member
edited February 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Just throwing out a reaction to Steve Gaynor's Wager ( http://fullbright.blogspot.com/2008/02/wager.html ), which I reached today through the front page posting.

Several things jump out at me:

1. Games already are profitable in the way movies are. In many cases games are more profitable.

2. The stigma as child's play might exist, but the fact is quite a lot of games are aimed at 20somethings and many, many gamers are aged 18 and over. Adult gamers are not infantile. They are not having difficulty moving on to more adult media (like Lost). Games aren't child's play anymore and haven't been for a number of years.

3. It's hard for me to believe, in light of (2), that the stigma isn't simply vanishing. Someone going out into the world as an adult now either already is or will soon be more likely to be a gamer than not. Many of those people simply won't consider games to be juvenile; juvenile games are juvenile, but many, many games simply aren't and many people nowadays know it.

4. He criticizes games for wanting to be movies, and talks about how if you walk through an EB you're going to see loads of titles about men with guns, sports stars and the like. I disagree that that has anything to do with wanting to be a movie. Single player games are at their best when they put you in situations which feel like life or death, make you care about the outcome, and then empower you to ensure a positive outcome. It's not about being like film (specifically action movies), it's that a professional sports league or a military scenario or whatever is the ideal setup for a game to do what games do best.

5. He simply disregards multiplayer gaming, despite multiplayer gaming being the clear future of gaming. Multiplayer games do not tell you something about human existence. They are not art in the traditional sense of the word. There are exceptions, especially cooperative and narrative games which straddle the line, of course; I'm speaking in sweeping generalizations here. Multiplayer games function by drawing people together. They are social tools. In some cases the form of socialization is infantile and often simply painful. In others it is deep and meaningful. But that doesn't change the fact that multiplayer is simply not intended to be like film, novels, or narrative art in general. The thrill of an online shooter game is not in its narrative, it's in the bonds you develop with teammates and the competition you experience with opponents.

6. Barriers to entry are diminishing rapidly. First, the major portion of the current generation has been introduced to gaming conventions. Games make sense to them. Second, vast amounts of time and money have been expended in reducing barriers to entry without losing the crucial elements of a game. Non-gamers in many, many cases still won't be brought into the fold, but they don't have to be. There is a good chance that the next generation will be almost wholly a generation of gamers. In 40 years, unless something seriously changes, it'll be inconceivable that the average 40-50 year old has not spent some significant amount of time gaming.

Videogames might not be accepted as a deep and rich form of art in 50 years. Trends could take a left turn and leave them behind. But it is my belief that it would take such a left turn for that to be the result.

BryanSalvatore on

• Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Those were some really interesting articles, and I think they brought up great points. Don't really have alot to add as I pretty much agree with them.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    4. He criticizes games for wanting to be movies, and talks about how if you walk through an EB you're going to see loads of titles about men with guns, sports stars and the like. I disagree that that has anything to do with wanting to be a movie. Single player games are at their best when they put you in situations which feel like life or death, make you care about the outcome, and then empower you to ensure a positive outcome. It's not about being like film (specifically action movies), it's that a professional sports league or a military scenario or whatever is the ideal setup for a game to do what games do best.

The problem isn't that games are like movies, it's that the game industry strives to be like the movie industry instead of trying to find it's own model.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I pretty much agree with the OP except for the position that multiplayer is "the clear future of gaming". I think it's definately an aspect that will continue grow and is definately never going to fade away but if your position is that it will replace/supplant single player I have to disagree.

What's laughable to me about "the Wager" is that it actually poses that games will end up in a position similar to comic books. Comic books were always a niche product and never gained real widespread traction among adults. Games are already a mainstream thing among adults who grew up with them and that trend isn't slowing down, if anything it's picking up momentum. It's more common for adults between the ages of 18-30 to have a console in their home than not. And with the Wii doing a pretty impressive job of bringing more people into the market saying that videogames will go the way of comic books just strikes me as rediculous and thus amusing. Growing market share among adults will get videogames respectability.

Sure you'll always have book and film critics talking about how their respective mediums are superior but the people won't really care and, at least to me, when you're talking about respectability it's the public who decides that.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comics used to be alot more popular than they are today, alot of people grew up with them. I don't think his comparison is that far off-base, but he isn't using comics as a barometer for how 'mainstream' consoles are - the author is pointing out the common themes that most comics and videogames share, and the potential pitfalls that they bring.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    A lot of people did grow up with them but comics didn't have the staying power into adulthood that videogames have showed/are showing. And while he says they share common themes I don't beleive they're similar enough to really draw an accurate comparison.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comics did have quite a bit of what you would call ''staying power'' from the 40's until the late 80's / early 90's, but that is a different discussion - I am more interested in your opinion of comic book themes vs. video game ones. Do you really think they are dissimilar?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Comics used to be alot more popular than they are today, alot of people grew up with them. I don't think his comparison is that far off-base, but he isn't using comics as a barometer for how 'mainstream' consoles are - the author is pointing out the common themes that most comics and videogames share, and the potential pitfalls that they bring.

Surely that's the point, though. Kids who grew up reading comic books, by and large, left them in their parent's attic when they moved out. That's simply not happening with games; to the contrary, more and more they are becoming an integral part of adults' lifestyles, and gaming is growing across every demographic.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comics were very prominent among groups other than children, just like video games are today. You could take most of the posts in this thread, change the phrase ''video game'' to ''comics'', then shoot back 20 years and the posts would be remarkably accurate. It is ironic that the article the OP mentioned discusses how the assumption that ''Video games are for kids'' stagnates the medium, and it led to this thread, where people are assuming "Comics are for kids."

Edit: I'm also really curious about the reasoning behind ''Comics and video games do not have similar themes"

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comics did have quite a bit of what you would call ''staying power'' from the 40's until the late 80's / early 90's, but that is a different discussion - I am more interested in your opinion of comic book themes vs. video game ones. Do you really think they are dissimilar?

I think they ARE dissimilar. There certainly are similar themes sometimes, particularly with narrative/single player gaming, but the things that draw someone to gaming are very different in meaningful ways from the things that draw people to comic books. That was the point of my post; gaming is not comparable to either movies or comic books, but it does appear to have the ingredients to be a lasting phenomenon. As Adrien pointed out, people don't give up gaming when they grow up the way they give up comic books. They may not be playing the same games, but they're still gaming as adults very often.

Editing it in for MikeMcSomething because we seem to be posting across each other:

Comic books are about imagination. A comic book is a story told through representative images. You can hit deeper subthemes, but at its essence that's what it is. Don't take me to be saying this is a bad thing, either. Comics can be wonderful, deep, and engaging. But it's no surprise adults put them down eventually - an exercise in imagination is pretty futile when you work 50 (or more) hours a week and are raising a family.

Gaming is really about two main things layered together. It's about socialization and empowerment. The key aspect of multiplayer gaming is that it enables you to spend time with other people who have similar interests. The key aspect of single player gaming (and a major subtheme of a lot of multiplayer gaming) is that it empowers you to solve the problems that the world within the game is facing, whether that is some action-packed gunslinging story, improving your place in the world through simple effort (MMORPGs - is it any wonder they succeed so well now that much of the stigma has been erased?), winning sports championships, simply surviving impossible circumstances (survival horror), or helping your simulated people "live" "fulfilling" "lives." There are always variations, and none of what I just said holds true in all cases, but that's the gist of it. Unlike with the storytelling and pure fantasy of comic books, these are themes that are going to speak deeply to an adult audience, especially one which in most cases lacks much power over their own lives and much time to get out.

I wouldn't necessarily take the wager, but I'd give out a wager of my own - if gaming falls short like comics have fallen short, it will have been for different reasons.

BryanSalvatore on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Comics were very prominent among groups other than children, just like video games are today. You could take most of the posts in this thread, change the phrase ''video game'' to ''comics'', then shoot back 20 years and the posts would be remarkably accurate. It is ironic that the article the OP mentioned discusses how the assumption that ''Video games are for kids'' stagnates the medium, and it led to this thread, where people are assuming "Comics are for kids."

Edit: I'm also really curious about the reasoning behind ''Comics and video games do not have similar themes"

Could you define what themes you're referring to? Reading through the article itself he uses broad and inaccurate generalizations to try and tie the two together. I have a hard time taking someone seriously who beleives that the majority of gaming consists primarily of "sports stars, Japanese children's cartoons, burly men with guns, and women in shameless, implausible dress." If anything all that demonstrates to me is how out of touch with the medium he is.

And no one said comics are for kids. The point is that comics by and large didn't have the staying power into adulthood that games have shown. That doesn't mean that there aren't adults who enjoy comics and I don't think anyone is even trying to imply that. What's being said is that games have already shown a much larger potential as a medium among adults than comics ever have.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why are the games we focus on so concerned with life-or-death situations?

Because last time I checked death is permanent in real life.

I personally find the article very ignorant, which is weird coming from a 25 year-old video game designer.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't take me to be saying this is a bad thing, either. Comics can be wonderful, deep, and engaging. But it's no surprise adults put them down eventually - an exercise in imagination is pretty futile when you work 50 (or more) hours a week and are raising a family

The same could be said about gaming. Who has time to game when you work 50 hours or more and are raising a family?

Comics can be put down and do, but gaming may last longer but it is also put down. How many of the older generations that are now in thier 40's-50's still game? This was the age that pac man and stuff came out. Not very often I'd wager.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I disagree. I don't think the same can be said about gaming. That's the point - where comics are an exercise in imagination and fantasy, games mostly aren't. There are definitely elements of both in gaming, but what keeps you coming back are things completely absent from comics and which adults can relate to much more easily.

As far as the adults having time - it's not about time and I didn't mean to imply that it is. You can collect comics for 30 minutes a week, or you can game for 30 minutes a week. I mean hell, I know a lot of guys with families who can't get out to see a movie more than a few times a year, but we're not talking about how adults let movies go. It's about energy. You have to care, which means the medium needs to speak to your current experience. I believe gaming does that for adults much better than comics do, possibly better than movies as well though movies have much lower barriers to entry.

Maybe I'm just living in a weirdo universe, though; both my parents play WoW - not often, but reasonably regularly (which is nice, because I don't see them that often anymore, just don't have time to get over to their house).

BryanSalvatore on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    And no one said comics are for kids. The point is that comics by and large didn't have the staying power into adulthood that games have shown. That doesn't mean that there aren't adults who enjoy comics and I don't think anyone is even trying to imply that. What's being said is that games have already shown a much larger potential as a medium among adults than comics ever have.
    Video games are still a changing medium and are being driven by technology. It also helps that they can appeal to the masses by putting you "in" the football game and making it feel like you're determining the outcome, rather than just showing you pictures of a football game. Granted, most video games are scripted down to everything that will happen (i.e. Call of Duty single-player), but nevertheless it still feels like the path of the story relies on your success, rather than the success of the writer/artist. The media are completely different except that they both tell stories visually. Comparisons beyond that are pretty much moot.

GungHo on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Don't take me to be saying this is a bad thing, either. Comics can be wonderful, deep, and engaging. But it's no surprise adults put them down eventually - an exercise in imagination is pretty futile when you work 50 (or more) hours a week and are raising a family

The same could be said about gaming. Who has time to game when you work 50 hours or more and are raising a family?

Comics can be put down and do, but gaming may last longer but it is also put down. How many of the older generations that are now in thier 40's-50's still game? This was the age that pac man and stuff came out. Not very often I'd wager.

At the level of stretch you're using, the same could be said of LotR.

Of course games are following movies. HALO has lens flare, for fuck's sake!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Comics did have quite a bit of what you would call ''staying power'' from the 40's until the late 80's / early 90's,
    It is ironic that the article the OP mentioned discusses how the assumption that ''Video games are for kids'' stagnates the medium, and it led to this thread, where people are assuming "Comics are for kids."

You need to read the posts of others more carefully. The issue of staying power of comics as addressed by HappyLil'Elf was not about their staying power over a time period. It was about the consistency in which they stayed with most people over their life time. Whether they've persisted for a long period of time has no relevance whatsoever to their ability to enter the mainstream. Comics are read by a large variety of age groups, I don't think anyone with any sense is stating that's not the case here, but it's out and out absurd to state that games do not persist into adult life with much more frequency than comics. As in, comics really don't even approach the numbers at all.

This is a comparitive point, not one meant to defame comics.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Comics did have quite a bit of what you would call ''staying power'' from the 40's until the late 80's / early 90's,
    It is ironic that the article the OP mentioned discusses how the assumption that ''Video games are for kids'' stagnates the medium, and it led to this thread, where people are assuming "Comics are for kids."

You need to read the posts of others more carefully. The issue of staying power of comics as addressed by HappyLil'Elf was not about their staying power over a time period. It was about the consistency in which they stayed with most people over their life time. Whether they've persisted for a long period of time has no relevance whatsoever to their ability to enter the mainstream. Comics are read by a large variety of age groups, I don't think anyone with any sense is stating that's not the case here, but it's out and out absurd to state that games do not persist into adult life with much more frequency than comics. As in, comics really don't even approach the numbers at all.

This is a comparitive point, not one meant to defame comics.

Yeah, thats the same kind of staying power I was talking about. You need to read my posts more carefully.

This thread is long on bias, and short on people who know much about comics

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Yeah, thats the same kind of staying power I was talking about. You need to read my posts more carefully.

This thread is long on bias, and short on people who know much about comics

You specify a period of time in which they are popular and then label it a different discussion.

Yeah seems pretty much like you're not talking about the same thing, as if you were referring to persistency of the hobby into adulthood (the crux of the issue and probably the most important factor to determining whether it will become culturally relevant) and then labelling it a different discussion, you have no grasp of the topic.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I disagree. I don't think the same can be said about gaming. That's the point - where comics are an exercise in imagination and fantasy, games mostly aren't. There are definitely elements of both in gaming, but what keeps you coming back are things completely absent from comics and which adults can relate to much more easily.

I disagree. I find my self, a man of 24 summers under his belt, to find more time readign than playing. On the Train to and from work, I can pop a good manga and read it. In my lunch hour there is multiple chances to read manga.

Of course it also the case with Gaming, but where gaming fails is the need for you to bring say a rechager (for a PSP or a DS), a couple of games and the console itself. With a manga, all you need is the book itself. People, and adults, I believe have a easier time shutting the book than waiting for the final boss of be defeated. If in an emergency you can just close the book.

However, comics are the same as novels in my opinion. All that differs is that it has pretty little pictures than lines of words. Sure a bit of imagination and fanatsy is required, but are you tellign me you don't have that in games? Moments of "Where is he coming from?" Or "How did they build that base here?". These exists in games whether you believe it or not.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn -

I will break it down for you, but first I will show you the fantastic process I am going to use to do it, like a magician revealing his secrets!

It is called the transitive property
    It works like this:
    If a = b,
    and, b = c
    then, a = c

Ok, here we go!
    If Comics had 'staying power' from the 40's to the 90's
    and, 'Staying power' is a high likelyhood to continue to be consumed as consumer age increases
    Then, Comics had a high likelihood to continue to be consumed as consumer age increased, in a time period defined as from the 40's to the 90's

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Comic book development was stunted through a monopoly, shitty business model, and lack of diversification. And as such the comic book business model never had the financial capital, that the gaming industry has. During its infancy, comic books were marketed as childrens literature, while gaming had enough muscle to enter public consciousness. Also, it is much easier to market a 50 dollar chunk of entertainment that lasts you at least 10 hours, than a 24 page pamphlet that costs you 3 bucks.
    Becoming an "adult" entertainment media is all about capital and marketing, something that the incestous comic book industry never had.

muninn on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I should really read the articles more carefully, but for now I'll just say that comic books share some similarity to videogames, but they share about as much with movies.

Comics were fucked over for reasonably unique reasons. I think games aren't going to run into the ground for those reasons if at all. Hell, their million-seller years have already outlasted the million-seller golden years of comic books by a decade or two.

As for similarty of themes in comic books versus video games... I just don't see it. The first thing you think of when someone says "comic" is "Superhero". Superman is still reasonably unique to comic books. Comics are still trying to shed that image. Videogames have gone from puzzles to adventure to twitchfests to RPGs... the only thing that can be used to draw some similarity is to point out that when you're paying crap fees for writing, people are going to write poorly.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Also, while videogames tackle mature content and themes, comic books still actively market towards younger audience. And since in the comic book industry new IPs are not often supported, the old stable is kept at the same "teen" subject matter for decades, which is a bulk of the titles. I mean how can an industy be viewed as mature, if the industry for the most part, do not publish "mature" content? that is not the case in gaming, where diversification and mature content is actively pursued.

muninn on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    muninn wrote: »
    Also, while videogames tackle mature content and themes, comic books still actively market towards younger audience. And since in the comic book industry new IPs are not often supported, the old stable is kept at the same "teen" subject matter for decades, which is a bulk of the titles. I mean how can an industy be viewed as mature, if the industry for the most part, do not publish "mature" content? that is not the case in gaming, where diversification and mature content is actively pursued.

Did you read the article?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well, I wouldn't say that comic books don't publish mature literature now. They publish plenty of really amazing stuff for anyone and everyone right now. They even market it reasonably well. Hell, I'd say the single best re-telling of the Trojan War is in comic form ("Age of Bronze"), and "Transmetropolitan" is a lovely political screed.

The problems comic books have with finding an audience have far more to do with horrible business models and marketing decisions made decades ago. When fucking Spider-Man makes $500 million as a movie, but still has barely 100,000 readers? That's when you know your industry is kind of fucked up.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited February 2008

I disagree. My field, Manga, is definately not meant to be read by younger audiences, ala under say 16 and so. The prime range of younger games.

And there is alot of Mature "Content" if you so wish it. Depends on what you conside mature. Gore? There. Sex? There. Violent beheadings? There. Its a matter of looking at it without blindfolders on.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2008
    I predict that games will suddenly achieve Cultural Acceptance and Mature Status roughly at the same time the last Baby Boomer kicks off. The biggest impediment to their acceptance is that the folks who get to decide what "significantly shapes the cultural discourse" have already declared that games are fundamentally incapable of ever doing so. The Roger Eberts out there aren't even willing to enter an honest dialogue about the issue, so it's pretty much not going to happen while they're still around farting myopia all over the place.

The younger folks, the folks who actually play games, they're willing to entertain the idea that games can be as socially relevant as films. And so when us, the game players, are the ones holding the reins of public discourse, games will finally gain their acceptance. And it won't take 50 years, it'll take 10 or 20 at the most. Those who grew up with games are already in their 30s and early 40s. It won't be long.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am quite aware of the gerat stuff published in the comic book industry, including manga. But when you look at the market overall, the most publicized titles are the not of the greatest caliber. Heck, 90% of the market is slanted towards the younger audience. For each Warren Ellis or Grant Morrisson, we get 20 Rob Liefelds. And the prevalence of such titles is what is flooding the non-specialty distribution centers, such as book stores and such. And thats where the titles get most exposure, when it comes to the general public.

muninn on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hm.

I agree with a lot of the article. It cannot be said enough that the subject matter of most games, like most comics, is trashy, stupid, male wish-fulfillment nonsense. Even though gamers are supposedly grown-up now, this is still by far the highest selling model.

Even less masculine games, like Super Mario Bros, are essentially violent, their enjoyment comes largely from death-defiance, albeit cartoony, abstracted death-defiance. The language of "dying" in videogames is so ingrained in the medium that I often say that I died on Guitar Hero songs.

However, I think he ignores both the technological advances in videogames and in comics, and their ability to push the medium to higher levels. For example, webcomics rarely deal with male power fantasies and are wildly popular. As images consisting of drawn visuals combined with words, webcomics are certainly an extension of the comic/graphic novel medium—and they are an example of how technology has allowed a thriving independent scene in the medium to achieve mass appeal and expand the medium.

Games are much more dependent on technology, and will change more drastically than comics as technology develops. The Wii, just from its motion controls, has ushered in a whole new demographic of casual gamers. But I think that's just the beginning. I wonder to what extent the medium of videogames is going to start overlapping and absorbing other mediums. For example, alternate reality games, interactive novels and even interactive shows on the internet.

It's certainly possible that Halo games will continue to remain the bestselling videogames, but this doesn't mean the medium is going to stagnate or fail to expand its influence. Comics didn't. And as a medium continues to evolve more rapidly, it becomes increasingly likely that someone is going to stumble onto a new expression that proves to be wildly popular.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I am quite aware of the gerat stuff published in the comic book industry, including manga. But when you look at the market overall, the most publicized titles are the not of the greatest caliber. Heck, 90% of the market is slanted towards the younger audience. For each Warren Ellis or Grant Morrisson, we get 20 Rob Liefelds. And the prevalence of such titles is what is flooding the non-specialty distribution centers, such as book stores and such. And thats where the titles get most exposure, when it comes to the general public.
    Again, I'd say the issue is less that the wrong sort of stuff is flooding non-traditional distribution centers, than that "flooding" means "there are 15 comics and 11 of them are bad." and the fact that "Non-traditional" areas are the only areas that don't require you to already enjoy comics to enter. Comic book shops shouldn't be the "traditional" area, not if they want some more mainstream acceptance. That, and I just think you're wrong. There was one Rob Liefield, he briefly got more play than he should have. Pretty much any given major published comic book now is more than decent.

There are three comic books with the most exposure to the public: Spider-Man, Batman, and Superman.

None of them push 100,000 in sales. I'd swear that most people who loved the Spider-Man movies don't actually know where you can get the comics.

Point is: Games don't share this problem, at all. They're sold almost anywhere and anyone who's used a computer knows what they are. Arguably, consoles are most like comics in being a more niche market, but the current generation has aggressively pushed the idea that they no longer be relegated to children's toys in a variety of manners.

Short of a McCarthy hearing, I don't see games hitting the same low comic books did, ever.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

I disagree. My field, Manga, is definately not meant to be read by younger audiences, ala under say 16 and so. The prime range of younger games.

And there is alot of Mature "Content" if you so wish it. Depends on what you conside mature. Gore? There. Sex? There. Violent beheadings? There. Its a matter of looking at it without blindfolders on.

Lots of manga is meant for kids under 16, there do exist Japanese comic-books that don't center around loli-rape and/or blood and guts. That doesn't really matter at all however as Japan is an entirely different market from North America. The market here for manga makes the market here for conventiional American comicbooks look like fucking Hollywood. The more relavent points here are people like Alan Moore who write comicbooks with mature stories and themes to a mature audience. Of course in order for books like the Watchmen or V for Vendetta to sell as well as they have and do they have to distance themselves from superheroes by calling themselves graphic novels instead, and while there are fairly consistent notable differences between the average book called a graphic novel and the average book called a comicbook this is because books with the characteristics graphic novels are known for all get classified as graphic novels, there's no reason why you couldn't write as mature a Batman arc as say The Killing Joke though.

And of course you run the standard broken rhetoric about how sex and violence are immature, when in fact they are neither mature nor immature they're just things that can happen in a story and what's mature or not is how the story treats and handles them and regardless the audience has to be sufficiently mature to handle them and acknowledge the differences between fiction and reality so that even if the violence and sex are handled in an immature manner the audience isn't going to be harmed or driven to harm others by their exposure to that content, hence calling it "mature content" in the first place. And blindfolder isn't a word.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I predict that games will suddenly achieve Cultural Acceptance and Mature Status roughly at the same time the last Baby Boomer kicks off. The biggest impediment to their acceptance is that the folks who get to decide what "significantly shapes the cultural discourse" have already declared that games are fundamentally incapable of ever doing so. The Roger Eberts out there aren't even willing to enter an honest dialogue about the issue, so it's pretty much not going to happen while they're still around farting myopia all over the place.

The younger folks, the folks who actually play games, they're willing to entertain the idea that games can be as socially relevant as films. And so when us, the game players, are the ones holding the reins of public discourse, games will finally gain their acceptance. And it won't take 50 years, it'll take 10 or 20 at the most. Those who grew up with games are already in their 30s and early 40s. It won't be long.
    I also predict that when games do achieve cultural acceptance, the medium will be fragmented into the Ivory Tower critic-type people who love Ico and nonviolent indie games, and the sweaty-palmed masses who flock to stores to buy the latest Iraq War sim with aliens.

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

I also predict that when games do achieve cultural acceptance, the fan base will look pretty much like that of movies.

Fix'd.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    And of course you run the standard broken rhetoric about how sex and violence are immature, when in fact they are neither mature nor immature they're just things that can happen in a story and what's mature or not is how the story treats and handles them and regardless the audience has to be sufficiently mature to handle them and acknowledge the differences between fiction and reality so that even if the violence and sex are handled in an immature manner the audience isn't going to be harmed or driven to harm others by their exposure to that content, hence calling it "mature content" in the first place.

Is there a period and comma shortage where you live, or something?
    <3

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, the one thing that turned me off to the article in question was the simple fact that the author seems to have no clue about what happened in comics, and assumes that the ghettoization that comics in the US underwent was a completely natural phenomenon, when the truth is that comics in the US were in fact very diverse and popular among a wide spectrum until Seduction of the Innocent came along. The fact that in both Japan and Europe comics maintained a broad spectrum of content just further illustrates the point that the American comic market was artificially stunted.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Fiaryn -

I will break it down for you, but first I will show you the fantastic process I am going to use to do it, like a magician revealing his secrets!

It is called the transitive property
    It works like this:
    If a = b,
    and, b = c
    then, a = c

Ok, here we go!
    If Comics had 'staying power' from the 40's to the 90's
    and, 'Staying power' is a high likelyhood to continue to be consumed as consumer age increases
    Then, Comics had a high likelihood to continue to be consumed as consumer age increased, in a time period defined as from the 40's to the 90's

To roughly quote Stephan Colbert:
    A vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain.
    As I'm running w/ Huckabee, a vote for Huckabee is a vote for me.
    Therefor, I'm John McCain.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Qingu wrote: »

I also predict that when games do achieve cultural acceptance, the fan base will look pretty much like that of movies.

Fix'd.

I just want to say one thing those this thread seems to have gone inactive....If Comics do not have the social acceptance of movies and tv, how is it that close to half of the tv and movie fare of the last 5-10 years is lifted from a comic or graphic novel in some way. Beyond that the movie industry is making video game titles into movies at a fairly strong clip as well and many games now have "box office" close to or even higher than the average hollywood feature. That to me says that the american public at least takes both fairly seriously at any age demographic.

Hawkstone on
    Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just a note on your first premise in the op: porn is also more lucrative than movies. Doesn't really undermine your point, but I think that people still have base desires.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Porn draws more profit than Hollywood? Can you, like, show me some numbers? I mean it's conceivable but I'm not believing it until I see it.

ViolentChemistry on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Porn draws more profit than Hollywood? Can you, like, show me some numbers? I mean it's conceivable but I'm not believing it until I see it.

I read it in DFW's essay on porn, so I'll see if I can get some numbers online.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1