As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mini-Phalla] Vampires in Phallanka - Game Over; Village Victory!!

LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
edited March 2008 in Critical Failures
Life is tough. Your world was destroyed and taken from you in a matter of days. Everything that you worked for, laboured over, and loved now counts for nothing as you scrape together a life in the Underground. You've only recently started down the path to restoring civilisation as you knew it, banding together with other refugees to form a village for protection and companionship. Things were just starting to seem hopeful when the Vampires first struck. Now you aren't sure if you can trust any of your new friends and neighbours and have committed yourself to barbaric cruelty as you strive to route out the hidden monsters in your midst. Will you find the Vampires before it's too late? Will you be able to live with yourself if you do?

!Sign Up if you would like to play. Everyone will be assigned their number randomly.

Game Over; Village Victory

Player List:
1. Daius (the Dentist) - Bitten & Drained
2. Squashua (the Teacher) - Burned Alive
3. Burnage (the Butcher) - Staked
4. Egos
5. Stew_Stick (the Fighter) - Staked
6. Shamus (the Courier) - Burned Alive
7. Locus (the Salesman) - Staked
8. Gumpy
9. Crovaxan (the Breeder) - Bitten & Drained
10. Quoth (the Chef) - Burned Alive
11. Rend
12. Lightor216 (the Student) - Burned Alive
13. Toxic Toys (the Farmer) - Bitten & Drained
14. Shorn Scrotum Man (the Politician) - Burned Alive
15. Hylianbunny (the Musician) - Staked
16. JPants (the Dancer) - Bitten & Drained
17. Mr. Defecation
18. durax (the Geologist) - Staked
19. B:L (the Baker) - Bitten & Drained
20. El Skid

Reserves:
R1. Maximus
R2. Ultarune
R3.
...?

Narrations:
LaOs wrote: »
Day 1 (Game Start)
Night 1
Night 2
Night 3
Night 4
Night 5 (Game End)

End Game:
Vampire ProBoard and Master Spreadsheet
Role PMs

LaOs on

• LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rules:

This is a new Mini-Phalla brought to you by LaOs! This is my first time hosting a game, but I've got the bug and am ready to give it a shot.

The Villagers are trying to exterminate the Vampires within their midst and restore the semblance of safety that they had come to know. Each Villager will make a public vote each day for who he/she thinks is a Vampire. The person who wins the Village Vote each day will be removed from the game. The Village wins when the last Vampire is removed from the game. The Vampires, on the other hand, win when they have equal numbers to or outnumber the remaining Villagers.

Village Votes should be made in Bold Red, like so: I !Vote for LaOs.

Retractions should be made in Bold Lime, like so: I !Retract my !vote for LaOs.

The formatting and style of your votes does not matter (so long as they are red and lime respectively), but you MUST Retract if you want to change your vote. If you do not Retract, your last valid vote is the one that will be counted. Spelling will not be important and nicknames will be considered valid, although it is not my fault if I interpret the nickname you vote for incorrectly.

All special actions/orders should be sent in a PM to LaOs.

Clairifications should be asked in this thread in Bold Orange. If it is a clarification of a more private nature, feel free to PM LaOs.

Each Day ends at 2130 EST; 2030 my time; 1830 PST and all Votes and Actions/Orders are cutoff at that time. Even if I do not post Vote Closed, the Vote will close at that time and all votes made after that time will count for the next day.

Inactive players (those who do not vote one Day) will receive warnings and, if they do not vote for a second consecutive Day, they will be removed in the narration of that day. (If you do not vote on Day 2, you are warned after the Day 2 narration and, if you do not vote on Day 3, you will be removed in the Day 3 narration.)

Players may not communicate with players who have been removed from the game. This applies to removed players talking to their fellow removed players.

There will be absolutely no anonymous communication between anyone. If you are talking to someone and they do not know what your PA Identity is, that is anonymous communication and expressly forbidden.

Do not use Screenshots to “prove” anything to anyone.

Link me to all external communication boards (ProBoards).

You may communicate with each other via PM or IM or telephone or whatever you want, provided you abide by the anonymous contact rule. You cannot, however, quote PMs that I have sent you. You may paraphrase, but you cannot forward nor copy/quote the text that I send you.

There may be other rules as I think of or come across them. You will be notified! Also, please try not to break the game—if you think something might be against the spirit of the game, let me know first and I will tell you what I think of it. This is my first time, after all, so I may have missed some things. Above all, though, have fun! (Or else!)

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    Clarifications:

Day 1 begins when sign-ups are closed and I announce Day 1 Begins. Day 1 Ends Saturday, March 1st, @ 2130 EST.

Village PM (sent to all players):
    You are the _____. When you first came together with your fellow refugees to form a village, you were relieved. The world was a much different place after the Break and you were glad of the company. As you explored the strange underground caverns and tunnels your group grew closer and began to trust one another and work together. Since settling Phallanka, a real sense of community had been fostered and you were glad to once again have a place that you could call home.

Thinking that the worst was behind you and you could now focus on building the future, the news that some of your neighbours might be bloodsucking monsters is almost too much to bear! You had all come from different worlds, different lives, and different backgrounds hoping to make a new start, but now your community might be ripped apart (literally and figuratively!).

You have no choice but to follow the others and help route out the vampires hiding amongst your friends. You may cringe and you may cry out, but you will hold the victim down with the others and help tie them to their pyre. You only hope that you can find forgiveness in What Comes After.

(Vote publically in the game thread for the player you wish to burn in the village centre.)
    That blank space in the Village PM? Everyone has that filled in with a different Character Name. You all have unique Characters. I also decided to add some flavour (including your gender) at the end of your PM. If all you have in your PM is the public Village PM and the flavour for your Character, you are a Villager. Sorry for not making that more clear.

LaOs on
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rules:

Go away B:L. :P (come back in a minute)

!No God.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

Stew_Stick on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Signup

Gumpy on
  • DaiusDaius Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Signup

Daius on
    bigbosssig.png
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

durax on
  • RendRend Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !SIGN UP!

Rend on
  • Lightor216Lightor216 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Sign Up

Lightor216 on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up out of boredom.

Squashua on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008

This is my first time hosting a game, but I've got the bug and am ready to give it a shot.

you MUST Retract if you want to change your vote. If you do not Retract, your last valid vote is the one that will be counted.

You'll learn. Avoiding retractions and allowing blatant abstentions is the way to go.

Squashua on
  • ShamusShamus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !pu ngis

Shamus on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

El Skid on
    edited February 2008
    Squashua wrote: »

This is my first time hosting a game, but I've got the bug and am ready to give it a shot.

you MUST Retract if you want to change your vote. If you do not Retract, your last valid vote is the one that will be counted.

You'll learn. Avoiding retractions and allowing blatant abstentions is the way to go.

Tracking the Retractions is not a big deal for me at all.

And, while the Voting is listed as a requirement of activity, it is ultimately up to me, and if you're participating publically but just happen to not vote, I would probably judge favourably.

Thanks, though. I appreciate the input either way.

LaOs on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll !sign up but feel free to bump me down to reserve if someone not in the main phalla wants to take my spot.

Locus on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

M.D. on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

Might be able to wrap this up by the time we get the Phallout narration.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Sign up

JPants on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !signup

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up

Egos on
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !Sign up

Burnage on
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    !sign up?

As a reserve, looks like, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that that empty slot is actually empty.

Hylianbunny on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Maximus on
    edited February 2008
    !sign up?

As a reserve, looks like, but I'll keep my fingers crossed that that empty slot is actually empty.

It's open... well, was. You've got it now.

Maximus, you're on the Reserves list. Locus, pretty much everyone is in the Main Phalla. If you want to trade places with Maximus, that's all right--it doesn't matter much to me. Feel free to play the game, though.

I think I will send out the PMs tonight when I get done with Volleyball and whatever may come after. Day 1 will still end on Saturday, March 1st, though. I'll let you know when Day 1 begins... you'll notice it.

Thanks for signing up folks!

LaOs on
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I intend to keep my spot because Maximus is also in Phallout!

Locus on
  • MaximusMaximus Engineer of the Harbinger Engine RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's cool LaOs, I can finally concentrate on not dying in a Phalla.

Maximus on
    edited February 2008
    That all works for me. I'll catch you guys in a few hours, after Volleyball.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    I'm back from Volleyball and will start sending out the PMs now.

If more people are interested in signing up as Reserves, it's all right to step forward.

LaOs on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah!

Toxic Toys on
    edited February 2008
    So does anyone want to do a day 1 vampire reveal? I'll give them cake.
    The cake is a lie.

edited February 2008
    PMs are out! Day One starts... NOW! (It doesn't end until Saturday, March 1st, @ 2130 EST.)

When the screams first rang out, most of the refugees thought a domestic dispute had gotten out of hand. Tempers had worn thin everywhere in the village; their new lives were taking some getting used to. When another scream rang out from the other end of the village, people started to pay attention. Many began to wonder aloud what was happening but, before anyone could come to any agreement, another louder scream wailed from the village centre. Something terrible was happening and people rushed to the centre to find out what.

The village centre was actually the large tent the doctor and his wife, the dentist, lived in. It was used as the main meeting centre for the refugees since it was the largest. The villagers would often gather there to settle their disagreements, but there were no arguments in the central tent that night.
    The few villagers who had reached the tent were shocked into silence at the bloody mess before them. The doctor was slumped in his chair, dead, and his wife was crying in a crumpled mess on the floor, sitting in a bloody pool beside her husband.

As more and more of the refugee villagers entered the tent, two men slowly approached the dentist. The teacher did his best to avoid the blood splattered on the floor while the butcher, ignoring the blood, spoke softly to the dentist while he walked. The dentist cried out when the two men reached her but fell again, sobbing, when she looked over at her husband.

More people were joining the crowd and craning their necks to try to see what had happened. Those in the front row of the mob, the first to react to the horrible scream in the night, refused to get any closer to the bloody scene, causing the curious at the back of the crowd to start shoving. Seeing what was happening, a tall young man in the second row called out for everyone to leave and give the dentist some space. The fighter was big and spoke with a loud, hard voice, and the villagers quickly filed out of the large tent.

Nearly two hours later, after the refugees had checked on the other tents where screams were heard, the mob gathered again outside the village centre. The teacher was helping the dentist out of her tent while the butcher draped a blanket over the four dead bodies. Waves of whispers rolled through the mob, weaving from person to person until the dentist herself raised her hand for quiet.

“Please. Please,” she said. Her voice wavered slightly but she shook her head and carried on, stronger. “We have been struck by a terrible tragedy. Four of our number, four hard working and educated individuals were taken from us tonight. As you know, my own husband lies among the dead.”

Some villagers, those who had not been inside the central tent, gasped and looked again, shocked, at the long grey hairs poking out from beneath the blanket. The dentist heard the murmurs but spoke once more, loudly.

“My husband, the doctor; the young guardsman; the officer and her husband; they took them all from us—“

“Who did?!” yelled the chemist from the back of the crowd. His voice was full of fear. As others spoke out, yelled out, and cried out, anger, more fear, and suspicion could be heard. The mob grew restless as everyone called out questions of their own. Surprisingly, it was the teacher who answered them.

“Monsters,” he said wish his flat, matter of fact voice, “horrible monsters that feed on blood—human blood.”

Shocked silent for the second time that night, the surviving villagers stared incredulously at the teacher. Before they could ridicule his incredible claim, the teacher walked over and pulled the sheet from the bodies. Even the butcher looked away as the crowd cried out.

“They bite at the neck and rip out the flesh, keeping their victim barely alive while they suck out the blood. I’ve read about these creatures in books from long ago.” The teacher made an effort to not look at the bodies as he replaced the sheet.

“It could have been a dog—a pack of dogs. I’ve heard them, out there in the dark.” The courier was doing her best to hide the fear in her voice, but she stuttered and shrank away from the crowd when those around her turned to watch her.

Before the teacher could answer, the breeder spoke up: “Now, I don’t know what’s going on here, but it sure as hell wasn’t no dog that did for those necks. I’ve raised pit dogs, racing dogs, and even special ops attack dogs, and I ain’t never seen no dog make a mark like that.”

“There were a number of ground-breaking articles…” The scientist, almost forgotten to the left of the mob, trailed off mid-sentence, deep in thought. After a moment, he continued. “It seemed there had been some tests of a bio-chemical agent of some sort—I don’t quite recall—on mental and long-term patients. Prisoners, mostly… The agent was supposed to re-balance chemicals in the bloodstream to re-calibrate the brain and calm the subjects while restoring their sanity.

“I remember reading, just before the Break, one counter-article outlining fears that the drug was not as successful as was hoped or reported. In fact, I believe it warned that, in a few key cases, the results were disastrous.” Realising that he had become the centre of attention, the scientist blushed and stopped speaking.

“What do you mean, ‘disastrous’?” The salesman was the first to ask what everyone was thinking. However, before the scientist could speak, the dentist answered his question instead.

“They became monsters. Horrible, horrible monsters,” she said, shuddering with the memory. “I saw the terrible truth with my own eyes. He slipped into our tent through a slice in the back while I was giving my husband a whitening treatment…” Her body began to shake uncontrollably, and the dentist could not continue. The butcher hugged her close as the teacher told the mob her story, including how the monster threw the dentist down while he bit deeply into her husband’s neck.

The scientist and the teacher, having managed to convince the village that the monsters were real, called for ideas on how to react. Some of the refugees in their small village had to be these vampires that the teacher’s books talked about. And, although the scientist was certain the monsters were too new a creation to be found in any of the teacher’s old books, he agreed that the description fit well enough and suggested that the village call the monsters vampires. The vampires also, he added, could blend into communities because that part of the treatment, it seemed, had worked perfectly according to plan in restoring the sanity and social graces of the patients.

The village, angry at the idea of the monstrous creatures in their midst and sickened by the thought that their neighbours might thirst for human blood, unanimously agreed to take a gutsy, aggressive approach in finding the vampires. They would, each day, decide on one villager to bring to the village centre. They would take only one at a time to be sure they had enough refugees to restrain their chosen victim. They would then tie the victim to a pole and burn him alive. The scientist said that the fires would kill the monsters just as well as normal humans but that they would feel no pain. From what he had read in the articles before the Break, he surmised that the drug dulled their traditional sense of pain and that strangely, as something hurt more and more, the monster’s sanity would roll back further and further until they became raving lunatics again. That would be the only way the villagers could be sure that they had targeted a monster and not set fire to one of their innocent companions.

The breeder was the first to leave that meeting, sickened that they had decided to murder one of their own every night. They didn’t even know how many monsters there were! He was, however, more afraid of his neighbours ripping his neck out and had, like the others, agreed to return to the village centre the next night to decide who would meet the flames. He did not envy their duty but he would not stand by while the vampires killed off his newfound friends, and vowed to continue until the village was safe.

LaOs on
    edited February 2008
    That was awesome.

Toxic Toys on
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Agreed. Awesome narration.

JPants on
  • EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    ditto

Egos on
    edited February 2008
    I still think the special ops attack dogs did it.

edited February 2008
    OK !vote B:L. No kind of dog did that to a person!

(place holder vote - unless you want to come out as a vampire.)

Toxic Toys on
    edited February 2008
    Is this how you repay me for saving you from a Day 1 bandwagon in a recent phalla, !Toxic Toys?

They're special ops dogs, veterans of war. Who knows what they're really capable of?

edited February 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Is this how you repay me for saving you from a Day 1 bandwagon in a recent phalla, !Toxic Toys?

They're special ops dogs, veterans of war. Who knows what they're really capable of?

Dog trained to suck people blood, I never seen that. But I got my vote in !B:L.

But I'm watching you.

Toxic Toys on