As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON] METAL GEAR ONLINE - ONLINE RIGHT NOW !! - "Hurt me more!"

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited February 2009 in Games and Technology
1768081uj8.jpg
TACTICAL ESPIONAGE ACTION GOES ONLINE!

~ BEGINS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT ~
Official Website

Wiki wrote:
Metal Gear Online (MGO) is a forthcoming online spinoff of the Metal Gear series produced by Konami. The game was officially unveiled in Kojima Productions' 20th Anniversary Part of the Metal Gear series. While the previously released Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops featured optional online game modes that were both dubbed Metal Gear Online, this incarnation of the online game was initially announced as a separate stand-alone product based on the Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots gameplay and setting, but has since been announced as part of Metal Gear Solid 4. An online beta test was released exclusively in Japan, which occurred from August 20, 2007 through September 3, 2007. The beta was only open to 3,000 players. In addition to announcing a ship date and hardware bundle for Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, SCEA revealed that a beta for the game's online component will happen before the June release. Metal Gear Solid 4 will come with a "starter pack" that will be expanded upon with extra content.

The multiplayer beta test for Metal Gear Online will begin in North America on April 21st and be available to download on April 16th. The beta will be free in Japan and accessed by pre-ordering the game in North America: it will last for approximately 2 weeks. On April 11th 2008, Konami announced an open Metal Gear Online beta for Europe and will be available for download from April 17 and will be entirely open to everyone who downloads it until May 6.
Source

METAL GEAR SOLID INCLUDES KEYBOARD AND MOUSE CONTROL

MY INSTANT IMPRESSIONS
The character creation screen is pretty cool. New character registered: CobaltHedgehog

So character selection process works like this:

First you choose one of 4 heads, then one of four voices. You can change the pitch of the voice.

You then get to choose what they wear based on groups. Like, Shirt, pants, helmet/hat, gloves, shoes, holsters, bullet-proof vest, and 2 accessories, along with colors for each part.

Then you get to choose 4 skills for your character. Skills include stuff like "Assault gun mastery," "enhanced lock on," "Throwing mastery," "trap mastery," "zoom up," etc.

Some of these skills seems really cool. There's one called scanning which requires CQC (CQC is a skill). It makes it so that when you use CQC, it implants a tracker on the enemy and lets you see where he is. There's another called Aware which lets you see traps on your radar and send it to team mates. There's another called target alert which lets you see when enemies are locked onto you. All skills look like they can be leveled up 3 times, and have cost points... I guess it's like MP?

The main menu has several options. First you have Lobby select, which launches you in a game. From lobby select, you can choose automatching, which selects opponents close to your skill, then there's free battle, which lets you join preexisting rooms (which is a damn nice change from normal online games). finally, there's a training mode.

Besides lobby, you also have online news, which displays messages from Konami, Mail, which lets you message other players or check your mail. Checking it out, it doesn't look like it's tied to your PSN inbox.

then there's clan, which lets you organize a clan.

Finally, we have personal stats, which lets you see your level and what skills you have, and ranking, which shows how you compare to everyone else.

selecting automatching give you the option to choose several rooms. from there, you can choose 5 rule sets - no rules, deathmatch, team deathmatch, capture mission, and base mission. standard stuff so far. I selected "deathmatch" and now I'm at a screen where it's finding opponents. Found! I'll post my impressions in a bit!

Ok, so I'll start with the controls. First up, the game isn't like the metal gear we know and love. The face buttons are now no longer used for combat. Rather, that has been delegated to R1 and R2. The game controls a bit like Gears of War. Pressing up to a wall is no longer done with the analog stick. Rather, you press triangle when next to something to press up to it. X switches you from standing to prone to laying position and back. You have to hold X to lay down. Square turns auto-aim on and off. circle doesn't seem to do anything. Triangle, when not up against a wall, salutes... I dunno what this does.

L1 pulls you into the now standard over the shoulder view, with R2 firing. If you're not using the over the shoulder view, R2 makes you attack with the butt of your gun. I assume it makes you also use CQC if it's equipped. L2 and R2, when pressed quickly, will equip/de-equip your items quickly, and holding them lets you cycle through items.

the left analog stick controls you, the right analog stick moves the camera. The d-pad will make some weird white bar come along the bottom of the screen, but I have no clue what it does. The option screen mentions first person mode.

Now lets talk about online options. When playing with people, you have a few options. First, you can add someone to your friends list during the lobby session - but the bad news is you need their character name, not their konami ID, not their game ID, not their PSN ID. That's some weak shit. Next, you can mute individual players (THANK GOD!). The lobby for the pre-game is like Halo 3 - you have to press start to start the game, and everyone must be ready. You can also add people to your friends or blocked list from the lobby menu. You can also choose to host from in the lobby.

The actual gameplay is pretty reminiscent of call of duty, with MGS mixed in. For example, before each match, you choose your weapons, You have a primary weapon (like an assault rifle), a secondary weapon (like a handgun) and a special weapon (a grenade). You can also select your music.

There also appears to be a special mode called Drebin mode where you can gain access to more weapons. In this mode, weapons cost drebin points (DB). You are given so many points at the begining of the round based on how well you're doing. Rack up kills, and you'll get more DB. This seems to randomly kick in. I dunno if you can toggle it.

Chaff grenades are in the game, and do what you'd expect them to.

Lag isn't a problem thus far. This game is running smoothly. The graphics are pretty great, and I haven't seen a framerate hitch. Looks like a solid 30 fps. I've got my headset on, but no one replies when i ask them questions. I keep trying to find out if I'm only playing with people from north america. If anyone finds out if they're playing against someone from another region, tell me.

GAME ON!
To help organize games for MGO, I've pulled the PSN list from the warhawk topic I made. If anyone on the list doesn't have the MGO beta, please tell me so I can remove you. Also, if you're not on the list, please tell me so I can add you.

Alright, the PMs have been sent. If you didn't get one, but were supposed to, PM me with your PSN ID, PA name, Konami ID, Game ID, region (NA, EU, JP), and whether you have a headset or not (Yes/No) as the PM title, in that order.

TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT, AS THE BETA GOES ONLINE, I'LL START A GAME ON AND INVITE EVERYONE WHO HAS SIGNED UP IN THIS TOPIC

FUCKING SHIT. WE NEED YOUR CHARACTER NAME, NOT YOUR KONAMI ID, GAME ID, NOR PSN ID. FUCK YOU KONAMI.

PSN ID / Penny-Arcade Name / Konami ID (in bold) / Game ID / Headset?
NORTH AMERICA
ThePerfectK / TheSonicRetard / theperfectk / the_perfect_k / Yes
ShimmitySham / ShimSham / shimmity / shimsham / Yes
RenegadeGuardian / Reznik / fcs_strife / fcs-strife / No
MistaCreepy / MistaCreepy / mistacreepz / mistacreepy / Yes
WingedLion / Lion / winglion / wingedlion / Yes
Vacorsis / Dashui / kusscs86 / vacorsis / Yes
Xander51 / brynstar / kxander51 / xander51 / No
Malechai / Malechai / Malechai / Malechai1 / Yes
WombatPA / Wombat!! / wombatpa / wombatfrompa / Yes
ReverendToast / ReverendToast / Reverend.Toast / ReverendToast / Yes
Brownchiclets / Kyougu / the_brownchiclets / brownchiclets /Yes
TheGerbil / TheGerbil / thegerbil / the_gerbil[/b] / Yes
RDreamer / Radikal_Dreamer / radikal_dreamer / rdreamer / Yes
JPBrowncoat / LordNibbler / jpbrowncoat85 / jpbrowncoat / Yes
DirtySoap3D / Dirty / dirtysoap3d / dirty_soap / Yes
Vignet / Vicious_GSR / vignette13 / vignette / Yes
pittfurg / DietarySupplement / pittfurg / dietsupplement / Maybe?

EUROPE
Italax / Italax / italaxkonami / italaxps3 / Yes
LiquidSolid / Unco-ordinated / unco-ordinated / liquidsolid / Yes

UNSPECIFIED REGION
Kirin70 / Aoi / Yes
Nightslyr / Nightslyr / No
Beeb999 / Emerlmaster999 / Yes
VaregaDiablo / Varega / Yes
DesertChicken / DesertChicken / No
SecondReality / balboni / Yes
FancyLad / DebaserZbs / Maybe?
CaptCharlie / Araya / Yes
Dhaval / Wulf / Yes (but sometimes No)
Wicker86 / Wickerbasket / No
bloodyroarxx / bloodyroarxx / yes
corinseven / corin7 / Yes
Grove / ObstinateGrove / Yes
zestydee / zestydee / Yes
BigNastyCurve / ChewyWaffles / Yes
HBoxx / Hbox / Yes
WildSpoon / WildSpoon / No
hakdragon / hakdragon / No
Sirgrinchx / Mr_Grinch / Yes
LCDXX / LCDXX / Yes
Caerus / Clayburn / Yes
mikesaysno / Kaspian / Yes
antifood / antifood / Yes
Sillender / Aggrochan / Yes
MarioGuzman / MarioG / Yes
Haikira / Haikiri / Yes
WombatPA / Wombat!! / Yes
ManetherenWolf / ManetherenWolf / Maybe?
Harakhti / Harakhti / Maybe?
powersurge07 / powersurge / Maybe?
TheDarkWarrior / DarkWarrior / Maybe?
Lothars / Lothars / Yes
BombBoyGT / bombboy / Yes
UncleChet / UncleChet / Yes
fanciestwalnut / fanciestwalnut / Yes
MediumDave / Medium Dave / Maybe?
ZombieWhitey024 / UnKnown Soldier / Yes
Apharmd-G36 / Apharmd / No
xwonderboyx / xWonderboyx / Yes
Urishizu / UberEv / Maybe?
Ender42 (Maybe?) / TheMorningStar / Maybe?
RoriP / RoriProfessor / Maybe?
Ryadic / Ryadic / Yes
Kevko / Svevin / Maybe?
AlexE777 / AlexE / Yes

PICS
metalgearonline1ym6.jpg
metalgearonline6nt4.jpg
mgo200006qm4.jpg
metalgearonlinestarterpfn4.jpg
mgs12xy6yy6.jpg

VIDEO
In-game footage
2007 TGS trailer

EDIT: Thanks to Antishow for providing me with an MGO key. Thanks to Bursar as well.

TheSonicRetard on

• Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This is going to be awesome!

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, if anyone wants to post impressions when the beta actually starts, or talk about the status of the server, feel free to, and I'll add it to the OP. I can't download the beta until later tonight because some a forumer is donating his key to me (since gamestop screwed me over).

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Add me to that list. I don't know why I wasn't on the Warhawk list to begin with! Jerks! And yes, I have a headset.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I have a headset as well.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Also, isn't the voice changer fun? I can't wait to play Metal Gear Online and have my entire team have high pitched voices. I'm so immature I'll be laughing hysterically.

Dashui on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey, put me down on the list please. I have a headset also.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Haikira wrote: »

done and fixed

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

done and fixed

Sorry to be a fuss actually, but you put down my xbox live gamertag.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited April 2008

done and fixed

Sorry to be a fuss actually, but you put down my xbox live gamertag.

my mistake, fixed.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Downloading now. PSN is RenegadeGuardian. I don't have a headset though.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    You should buy one.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I have a crappy webcam mic I can use, but I honesty doubt I'd ever talk during the game anyway.

Also, is the demo limited to the account it's downloaded on? 'cause if it is then the account would be JenovasWitness instead of RenegadeGuardian. I just remembered that the account was different...

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So guys, I was installing the beta yesterday and the power went out in my town. The file got corrupted, and wouldn't install, and now I can't re-install it because of the key usage limit.

Woe is me. I sent an email to tech support for their suggestions.

Also, WombatPA/Yes

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    eh, I never really use the headset. Since it's not bundled with the system, not everyone has one. You could definitely do without one.

Although, MGO looks like it has a lot of communication going on, so who knows.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I'll play a little bit once it's done downloading and see how it goes, then I'll set up the webcam if I'm finding I need to communicate a lot.

But I'm a terrible strategist so it'll probably just be me listening to orders.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are the beta codes still available? I havent preordered yet. I am stopping by my parents house to pick up a package today, Ill stop into the gamestop nearby and see if I can get a beta code.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'll be in on this, I don't have a headset. Since it doesn't actually kick on till Monday, I'm probably not going to download it till sometime this weekend. It also requires creating some kind of Konami account right?

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I really hope this starts, and starts awesomely on the 21st, but the fact that you can't even sign up for a game tag yet has me worried. Wonder why the hell you even have to do that in the first place...

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Reznik wrote: »
    I'll play a little bit once it's done downloading and see how it goes, then I'll set up the webcam if I'm finding I need to communicate a lot.

But I'm a terrible strategist so it'll probably just be me listening to orders.

The actual beta doesn't start for a few days.
    Are the beta codes still available? I havent preordered yet. I am stopping by my parents house to pick up a package today, Ill stop into the gamestop nearby and see if I can get a beta code.

I've heard a lot of people are SOL on the beta codes. my own gamestop screwed me over, but someone offered me their code.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, a bunch of the codes have been errors - nine digits instead of the needed twelve. It's a bit weird. So you might want to open that bonus DVD right in the store if you get it and make sure your code has the correct amount of numbers.

Dashui on
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I still can't get my Konami ID. The fucking page just chugs and never goes anywhere before it times out.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Well, a bunch of the codes have been errors - nine digits instead of the needed twelve. It's a bit weird. So you might want to open that bonus DVD right in the store if you get it and make sure your code has the correct amount of numbers.

wow, talk about dropping the ball.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Grove wrote: »
    I still can't get my Konami ID. The fucking page just chugs and never goes anywhere before it times out.

For me the page doesn't even chug. It just goes straight to the message that the server's busy.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    TSR, thanks much for adding me to the list. I don't have a headset though.

I probably should get one, I realize.

EDIT: Hmm. These Konami ID page errors are not comforting.

brynstar on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Oh, god fucking damnit. That explains everything then. My code doesn't even have nine, it has eight.

I've been staring at that goddamned card , wondering if I made a typo, for like thirty minutes, now. I hope to hell their launch is alot better then this.

And in retrospect, I should have known, the damned thing has little bits of ink on it everywhere, like the machine that they used (the numbers/letters are all comprised of machine-made dots.) fouled up in the middle of printing the code.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Archonex wrote: »

Oh, god fucking damnit. That explains everything then. My code doesn't even have nine, it has eight.

I've been staring at that goddamned card , wondering if I made a typo, for like thirty minutes, now. I hope to hell their launch is alot better then this.

If you do have an incorrect code, you can e-mail Konami and they'll e-mail you a correct one within a day or so. Make sure you include the code in the e-mail.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I wonder why all these japanese companies have so much trouble getting online. I mean, nintendo's efforts have been miserable, and even big companies like konami, which should be able to get a good system online, hit so many stumbling blocks.

I guess this is one area where the west has a clear advantage.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Well, I blame whoever printed those sheets. The codes you're getting aren't necessarily incorrect... they're just for the entirely wrong region. :P I believe those nine digit codes are for the Japanese beta. Of course, many of them may be simple errors, but I did read something on the different regions and different codes. Someone really fucked up there.

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

If you do have an incorrect code, you can e-mail Konami and they'll e-mail you a correct one within a day or so. Make sure you include the code in the e-mail.

I don't suppose you know what the email address is? A quick search took me to the English teaser site, which had nothing, and then from the link provided at that website to Konami's main website, which for some reason is in Japanese.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the link to their main page in English. It was hidden in the main page's text, on the teaser website, towards the bottom.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Man, they need to bring the MGS theme song back.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I don't suppose you know what the email address is? A quick search took me to the English teaser site, which had nothing, and then from the link provided at that website to Konami's main website, which for some reason is in Japanese.

mgobetasupport@konami.com

Dashui on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

mgobetasupport@konami.com

Well, now I feel stupid. I just mailed their general tech support address, since I couldn't find anything related to MGO.

Archonex on
  • Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    People are all worried about the launch being shitty because they can't get their act together for a beta, but I am gonna play single player like 800 fucking times before even looking at online.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure trading PSN names is pointless, as so far all signs point to Konami IDs being the only option available.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Count me in. I've got a headset too.
    Cannot wait for this.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    i am 85 percent.

Would this have been faster if i downlaoded through http servers?

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:

• Options
    xWonderboyxxWonderboyx Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I didn't even get the option to download one way or the other. I just did it.

Either way, only a couple more days.

xWonderboyx on
    shark2.jpg
    XBL - Follow Freeman
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    People are all worried about the launch being shitty because they can't get their act together for a beta, but I am gonna play single player like 800 fucking times before even looking at online.

Edit: and I'm pretty sure trading PSN names is pointless, as so far all signs point to Konami IDs being the only option available.

The online part of MGS 4 is only a starter pack anyway, with the full separate online game coming later on.

I'm much more interested in the beta to get a look at the new engine and controls.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

The online part of MGS 4 is only a starter pack anyway, with the full separate online game coming later on.

There was some confusion about this, but I'm pretty sure the final statement was that the starter pack thing just meant that the rest would be DLC, not necessarily a full MGO game later.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    brynstar wrote: »

There was some confusion about this, but I'm pretty sure the final statement was that the starter pack thing just meant that the rest would be DLC, not necessarily a full MGO game later.

Glad to hear that! That's the way I've been hoping they would do it anyway, and I hadn't heard about this.

brynstar on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I could be totally wrong, though, as it's been flipping back and forth. I think konami's last official statement was what I just said, but then amazon put up a MGO preorder a bit ago, so I have no idea. I hope it's the starter pack + DLC thing.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg