As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Phallastar Phallactica - Game Over: Colonial Fleet Wins!

Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
phallacticaoq4.jpg

They attacked without warning.

There had been no sign of the Cylon in years. We hoped they were gone for good. We hoped that the horrors of the Cylon Wars had become a thing of the past, a wound that would finally heal; a nightmare that would no longer haunt us. We hoped the Cylon would never return.

But they did return.

The Twelve Colonies of Phalla were wiped out overnight. Aquaria, Aerelon, Canceron, Geminon, Leonis, Libris, Picon, Sagittaron, Tauron, Scorpia, Virgon, and the crown jewel of the Colonies: Phallica. My home. All destroyed. Over twenty billion people dead.

Less than fifty thousand of us survived. We now live in a ragtag fleet, gathered under the protection of the two remaining battleships of the Colonial Fleet, the Phallastars
Pegasus and Phallactica. This is our home now. It's a fragile home, and we're on the run, but there's hope of refuge still. Hope of a new homeworld: the Thirteenth Colony. Earth. We just need to find it.

And if the Cylon find us again?

Then we do what we always do. Fight them until we can't.

Narrations and updates:

Day 0 - A New Direction.
Day 1 - Say Goodbye to Home
(Also a major rules update.)
Day 2 - The Belt of Loviatar
Day 3 - An Ominous Silence
Day 4 - Contact!
Day 5 - The Battle of Chandris Six
Day 6 - Picking up the Pieces
Day 7 - Acts of Justice
Day 8 - Before the Hammer Falls
Day 9 - The Cloud of Lachesis
Day 10 - The End of Destinies
Day 11 - Rage of the Machines (Game Over)

MSL59.jpg
Bliss 101 on

• Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    About This Phalla

Q: What’s a Phalla?

A: Check it out.

Q: Who's running this Phalla?

A: Bliss 101 with Hylianbunny as a backup GM.

Q: How Phalla is this Phalla?

A: This will be a fairly traditional Phalla mixed in with a couple of additional mechanics. All players are stationed on specific ships in the Colonial Fleet, and certain abilities are dependent on which ship you're on. For example, certain direct kill abilities will only work on players on the same ship. There will also be one or more Fleet Battle events that are a mixture of Phallout-esque PvE combat and tactical decisions made by both the good and evil players. There is at least one evil faction: the humanoid Cylons. Any roles that have occurred in past Phallas may occur here, including millers and thralls.

Q: I've never watched Battlestar Galactica. Can I play?

A: Definitely. You don't need to know anything about the show to be able to play this Phalla, and conversely, knowledge about the series probably won't be of much use except in terms of immersion and atmosphere. The Wikipedia Articles and the Battlestar Wiki are good starting points if you want to learn the basics.

Q: Will there be spoilers?

A: I'm taking enough liberties with the storyline to ensure that the game events don't in any way spoil the plot of the show. However, it's possible that the discussions by players involve mild spoilers; I'll address that in a separate Spoiler Rules section.

Rules

Vote close time is yet to be decided, but the time will be a bit unusual for anyone in an American time zone. I'm on EET (GMT +3) and will probably want to close voting somewhere between 8pm and midnight my time.

Make the village kill vote in red, retract in lime. Retractions are recommended to make double-checking vote counts easier both for me and the players, but I won't consider them mandatory.

Don't be inactive. I require two posts a day, including votes. I will not be culling the inactives on a daily basis, but I will get around to dealing with them eventually. If you can't be around on a given day, letting me know beforehand will increase your chances of avoiding my wrath. If you can't play anymore, let me know so I can find a replacement.

Role PMs may not be quoted, only paraphrased. Anonymous contact is prohibited.

Any external boards that are created must be accessible to me and Hylianbunny.

All actions are to be sent to the GM account Ares of Kobol
    . Clarification requests will probably be answered faster if you send them directly to Bliss 101 and/or Hylianbunny.

SPOILER RULES

Please keep BSG plot discussion on a fairly generic level. Seasons 1 and 2 are considered relatively fair game, but please have the common decency to avoid massive spoilers. Major revelations about Season 1 and 2, and all plot details from the beginning of Season 3 up must be spoiler-tagged (see below).

In particular, the identities of the Final Five in the TV show are not to be discussed in this thread. I will instantly kill anyone who breaks this rule.

Spoiler Tags:

Since the spoiler tag is used for various purposes in Phalla threads, from jokes to keeping long lists or images from cluttering the screen, please indicate real BSG spoilers with a "BSG spoiler" text. Please add a season reference! Example:

BSG Spoiler (season 2):
    Caprica Six is pretty hot.

Gameplay mechanics

All players will receive one of several possible villager PMs, in addition to any special role PM.

The players must elect a President and an Admiral. Anyone can become President, but Admiral is only available to a certain subset of players. The mechanics and voting procedure for these two elected positions will be revealed once the game starts.

The President
    • Always stationed on Colonial One. If the fleet is attacked, Colonial One docks to the Phallactica, and the President is considered to be aboard the Phallactica.
      Publicly Known Abilities:
    • The President may veto a Martial Law declaration. This can only happen once during the entire game.
    • The President can be killed by a direct kill ability, but the identity of the attacker will be announced in public due to the high security surrounding the President.
    • The President can use a limited seering ability on a player of his choice. The player can be on any ship. The President will find out whether the target is some kind of a special or not. Both the order to seer someone and the result will take in place privately. The President will receive the results as soon as I receive the PM (please note that this may take a while if you're on a distant time zone).

The Admiral
    • Always stationed on the Phallactica.
      Publicly Known Abilities:
    • Makes all tactical decisions for a fleet battle.
    • Can declare or end a state of Martial Law. Declared in public and takes effect immediately. Under Martial Law, the Admiral gets a nightly kill that cannot be guarded against. The target can be any player in the fleet. Under Martial Law, all Presidential abilities are suspended. Martial Law can be in effect for a maximum of three days throughout the entire game.
    • The Admiral can be killed by a direct kill ability, but the identity of the attacker will be announced in public due to the high security surrounding the Admiral.

You can now move between ships. (Except the President and the Admiral can't).
    You can move to any ship just by sending a PM to me. If you have other abilities, please try to send all your actions in one message. Repeated retractions of movement orders may arouse GM ire.

Updates to Rules and Game Mechanics (Day 1):

What the ships do:
    1. Military Ships: They fight. They defend the fleet by damaging attackers and, depending on the Admiral's orders, taking some of the damage directed at the other ships of the fleet. The two Phallastars are very heavily armored, but not indestructible. The Adriatic is a missile boat with heavy firepower but low hull strength (although still stronger than any non-military ships).
    2. Research Ships: They produce items (given to random players) and upgrades to ship hulls and weapons, and upgrades to certain special roles. One random discovery is made each day. If one Research Ship is lost, the discoveries are made every other day. If both are lost, research stops.
    3. Industrial Ships: These produce and transport the supplies needed by everyone in the fleet. Repair rates of ships and the effectiveness of Medics are reduced by 20% for every destroyed Industrial Ship (added together and then used as a multiplier, e.g. if a ship would repair 100 hp a day and two Industrials have been lost, it would only repair 60 hp a day).
    4. Civilian/Government: These ships just carry people. They are fragile, but have pretty good medical facilities; each Civilian ship is considered to have one extra Medic aboard.
    5. Colonial One: This ship carries the President. In battle it will dock to the Phallactica and be safe from attack; the President will be considered to reside aboard the Phallactica during those days.

What the Professions do:

The players represent the inner circle of the Colonial Fleet. Each player has a profession.
    1. Medics: Each Medic prevents one other player from dying to collateral damage when a ship is damaged. If a ship is destroyed, everyone dies anyway.
    2. Engineers: Each Engineer repairs an additional +10% of a ship's max HP a day, in addition to the base repair rate (which is 10% for most ships).
    3. Viper Pilots: They are aboard their Vipers fighting the attackers when the fleet is under attack, so they cannot die of collateral damage. They can, however, randomly die in battle. The odds of this happening depend a lot on the tactic chosen by the Admiral and will be revealed should a fleet battle be imminent.
    4. Colonial Soldiers: This profession has no special ability at this point in the game.

All special abilities, all movement orders and all privately handled President and Admiral abilities must be sent to Ares of Kobol. If that mailbox fills up, send your messages to Bliss 101. If you have clarification requests that need to be handled in PMs, send them to Bliss 101.

Order of Actions: Movement generally always happens after any other actions, unless an ability specifically states otherwise. So you can use an ability on one ship, then move to another ship on the same day for example.

Clarifications
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    1. Are the military ships' effectivenesses affected by the number of people aboard them? What about the other ships in the fleet (Research, Industrial, Civilian)?

2. For the Admiral and Presidential votes, how to abstained votes count? Are they not counted in the final tally as for anyone, or are they counted as toward the incumbent players?

1. Their hull strength is affected by the number of Engineers aboard the ship, that's all. The only things affecting the military effectiveness of a Military Ship are possible upgrades from the Research ships and experience gained by destroying a Cylon Basestar.

Note that it's technically possible for Engineers to be the only thing holding a ship together, so that if they die or something, the ship is lost.

2. I wasn't planning to, but I'm gonna make things easier for everyone: abstained President and Admiral votes will count towards the incumbents.
    Clarification: should a Research ship produce an item, it will go to a random player anywhere in the fleet.
    Bliss 101 wrote:
    Clarification: Normally, a player's role and manner of death will be reported in the narration when they die, but not the name of the faction/special who killed them. There may be exceptions.
      [*]If you're asking for a critical clarification or otherwise sending in something that requires a fast response time from the GMs, send a PM to Bliss 101 and Hylianbunny, not the GM account. I'm online on my real account almost all the time but only check the GM account once in a while.

[*]Unless the Ares of Kobol inbox fills up, do not send movement orders or other actions to Bliss 101 or Hylianbunny. And definitely do not send actions to all three accounts at the same time! It kind of defeats the purpose of our inbox management.

Bliss 101 on
      MSL59.jpg
      edited April 2008

Player List:

1. Look Out it's Sabs!
      2. Mr. Defecation - Cylon Soldier - executed for treason on day 6
      3. Toxic Toys - Colonial Soldier - executed for treason on day 5
      4. DevoutlyApathetic - Colonial Viper Pilot - killed by a Targeted Proximity Mine on day 5
      5. Egos - Colonial Viper Pilot - executed for treason on day 7.
      6. TheLawinator- Colonial Soldier - died in a Nerve Gas Attack on day 4
      7. El Skid - Colonial Soldier - murdered on day 5
      8. Gumpy - Cylon Medic - murdered on day 8
      9. delroland - Cylon Viper Pilot - executed for treason on day 9
      10. Surbeh - Colonial Soldier - executed for treason on Day 2
      11. Stew_Stick - Doctor and Colonial Medic - Murdered on day 3
      12. PolloDiablo - Cylon Soldier - executed for Treason on day 8
      13. Crono729 - Colonial Engineer - killed by collateral damage on day 8
      14.TehSpectre - Ace Pilot (Tanto) and Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 4
      15. Fat.Pig - Ace Pilot (Avalon) and Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 3
      16. cj iwakura
      17. Gorilla Salad
      18. FrostMist - Cylon Soldier - executed for treason on day 3
      19. Varcayn - Senior Scientist and Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 4
      20. Mortal Sky- Colonial Soldier - killed by collateral damage aboard the Pegasus on day 4
      21. Plutonium - Cylon Soldier - Murdered on day 5
      22. iamtheaznman
      23. FreeAgent
      24. B:L - Colonial Medic - Murdered on day 7
      25. Last Son
      26. Crovaxan - Colonial Engineer - Murdered on day 8
      27. cheez
      28. Kin33 - Colonial Engineer - Murdered on day 4
      29. Seriously
      30. Wildcat
      31. PsychoCucumber - Cylon Engineer - murdered on day 9
      32. MrBlarney - Colonial Soldier - murdered by Seriously on day 9
      33. Sepah - Ace Pilot (Aeon) and Colonial Soldier - died in a Nerve Gas Attack on day 4
      34. Grundlterror - Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 5
      35. thorgot - Cylon Viper Pilot - Murdered on day 4
      36. Burnage - Colonial Medic - killed by collateral damage on day 8
      37. Osvik - Cylon Engineer - died of Lymphocytic Encephalitis on day 7
      38. Obbi - Medical Doctor and Viper Pilot - died in a Nerve Gas Attack, day 4
      39. Trust - Engineer and Human Thrall of the Cylons - murdered on day 9
      40. spaik - Colonial Soldier - executed for treason on Day 1
      41. Arkas - Colonial Soldier - murdered on day 9
      42. CoreGoon - Junior Scientist and Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 4
      43. Niceguy Myeye - Colonial Marine Officer and Engineer - Murdered on day 5
      44. NATIK - Colonial Soldier - killed in a toilet accident on Day 1
      45. Maximus - Officer of the Presidential Guard and Viper Pilot - Murdered on day 3
      46. PsychoLarry1 - Cylon Engineer - Murdered on day 8
      47. Fembot - Colonial Soldier - died in the destruction of the Adriatic on day 4
      48. Romantic Undead - Cylon Soldier - Executed for Treason on day 4
      49. Oatway
      50. Precisionk - Colonial Soldier - Murdered on day 8
      51. mrpaku - Colonial Viper Pilot - Murdered on day 3

Reserve: durax, Twinkie

Bliss 101 on
      MSL59.jpg
    • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      I !sign up

Look Out it's Sabs! on
      NNID: Sabuiy
      3DS: 2852-6809-9411
    • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !sign up

M.D. on
    • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Going to avoid this one after my last phalla mishap. Awesome name though.

DasUberEdward on
      steam_sig.png
    • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !sign up

Toxic Toys on
      3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
    • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      I will Sign Up.

I won't be as active as last game, I still have work I'm catching up on. I simply could not say no to a game based upon such an awesome subject. (Suck it Spectre.)

DevoutlyApathetic on
      Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    • EgosEgos Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      I'll !sign up

Egos on
    • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Man, I would be all over this if I didn't have exams. Just popping up so that you know I'm not shunning you without good reason, Bliss!

Burnage on
      edited April 2008
      Now let's hope I can get the GM account approved in time. I only remembered I'm gonna need one when I started making the game thread.

Bliss 101 on
      MSL59.jpg
    • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !Signed up so hard

TheLawinator on
      My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
      edited April 2008
      More phalla! Nom nom nom

Me
      !sign up now

El Skid on
    • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !He came from the darkness

To sign up

For this wonderful game

Gumpy on
    • delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !sign up

Edit: Goddammit, BSG spoiler I guess:
      I wonder how the Cylon resurrect mechanic will work, or if we are assuming the resurrection ship is a-blowed up. THough I guess if it is based on the fleet, once a Cylon is flushed out the nearest airlock, they won't be able to get back to the fleet even if they were brought back to life.

Seriously, you need to watch the show for this Phalla, not because of any necessity for the game itself, but so that we can talk about the show without spoilering everything.

delroland on
      EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
      "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
    • SurbehSurbeh Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !Sign up

Also, first post. Be gentle.

Surbeh on
    • Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !Sign up

Stew_Stick on
    • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Signing up!

Also, first Phalla. Treat me like a dirty, dirty tramp.

e: Stew_Stick, why you gotta be like that?

PolloDiablo on
    • Stew_StickStew_Stick Dinner UKRegistered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Kira does not comform to the rules and boundaries of modern society.

Yeah I wasn't in that phalla but it was so great to spectate.

Stew_Stick on
    • Crono729Crono729 Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !sign up

Crono729 on
      edited April 2008
      Argh why does the text in the opening image look like shit now? It looked fine in GIMP.

Oh well, gotta fix it at some point I guess.

Bliss 101 on
      MSL59.jpg
      edited April 2008
      Oh hey it seems like Kira worship is rooted into this fleet eh?

I have some cleansing to do

Gumpy on
      edited April 2008
      Ooooooo..........we've got fresh meat! Guys, it's time for the initiation!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      RichardDeanAnderson450w.jpg

TehSpectre on
      9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
      edited April 2008

*takes out hand lotion*

OH BOY!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    • Fat.PigFat.Pig Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      !Sign Up

Fat.Pig on
      edited April 2008
      All sorts of new folk.

TehSpectre on
      9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
    • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Popular theme.

And another one I don't know, but I know enough to think it'd make for a fun game.

!sign up

cj iwakura on
      wVEsyIc.png
      edited April 2008
      In case Bliss is confused, Richard Dean Anderson is my sign up post.

TehSpectre on
      9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
      edited April 2008
      TehSpectre wrote: »
      All sorts of new folk.
      On one hand....Macguyver. On the other hand....shut up.

DevoutlyApathetic on
      edited April 2008

Uh DA

We have a problem with that

Our paddle broke |:

Gumpy on
      edited April 2008
      Gumpy wrote: »

Uh DA

Our paddle broke |:

Who's the smallest/lightest person we have?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    • Fat.PigFat.Pig Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      I guess I should have posted that along with my sign up but I am new as well. :)

Fat.Pig on
      edited April 2008

Uh DA

Our paddle broke |:

How big are you

Gumpy on
      edited April 2008

Uh DA

Our paddle broke |:

How big are you

I am however big you want me to be. :winky:

Look Out it's Sabs! on
      edited April 2008

Uh DA

Our paddle broke |:

How big are you

I am however big you want me to be. :winky:

Small and Paddle like then?

Emergency over guys

Lets initiate

Gumpy on
      edited April 2008
      ITT: Gumpy wants midgets.

DevoutlyApathetic on
      edited April 2008
      I dont want to touch no noobs ass.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
      edited April 2008
      Too all the new people - I am always a good guy so tell me who you are and we will win.

And Fuck Stargate. The show, not the movie.

Toxic Toys on
      3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
      edited April 2008
      Oh, I'm also always good as well.

DevoutlyApathetic on
      edited April 2008
      Oh, I'm also always good as well.

Me too.

I wasn't bad in the last one, just misunderstood.

Look Out it's Sabs! on