As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

All-Purpose Doujin Games Thread -- Coming Soon: Touhou DS

AroducAroduc regular
edited July 2010 in Games and Technology
Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is a projectile-centric PC fighter based on the Touhou universe and the sequel to Immaterial and Missing Power.

It was announced about a year ago and a demo released at the last Reitaisai (Touhou convention). The next Reitaisai is coming up (May 25th), and along with Tasofro mysterious adverts, assorted distributors have begun taking preorders for the game which says to me, that that's when it's coming out.

IaMP was an awesome game, very off-kilter, but still deep and extremely well balanced. Perhaps most importantly for a PC fighter, it has nearly lagless netplay too. SWR already has built in netplay (which is kind of shoddy), but there's a great Caster netplay patch for the demo too.

The engine itself (for at least the demo) is pretty slick. It retains the dash-grazing through projectiles of IaMP, but the attacks are no longer distance sensitive. Everybody's been sped up quite a bit, bombing is removed, and the spellcard system was compeltely overhauled. Now you have a deck of cards defined before matches start. Some cards are Supers, some affect the weather (which changes during the match and has assorted effects), and some change your basic specials in various ways. As your gauge fills, you can see up to 5 cards available and cycle through the active one. Most Supers cost you multiple cards though (the extras aren't removed from the deck, just from the 'active' slot).

Demo Exhibition Vids

Basic combos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86JOTu-CWvw

Fancy combos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOMxkcrlrKE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XobdXJ_MxzA

Demo Matches
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQaMlx-PItw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b66lfeYTKqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfU2gdzv90

Other links
SWR Wiki
http://swr.mizuumi.net/index.php/Main_Page

Demo
http://swr.mizuumi.net/stuff/th105_t.rar (Patches for it here)

Caster Netplay Patch
http://mauve.sandwich.net/SWRCaster.html

=====

Glee!

Aroduc on

• Options
    RedThornRedThorn Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Have they confirmed any of the new characters besides Aya yet?

RedThorn on
    League of Legends: Drokmir
    Steam: Drokmir
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Not officially, but Youmu is practically confirmed as returning (her picture is on Tasofro's Hisouten advert for Reitaisai). I can also show some really nice photoshops of Momizi and Mima. ^^

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I can also show some really nice photoshops of Momizi and Mima. ^^

Yea, there's a pretty well done shop of Cirno floating around too. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for Mokou, even though that probably won't happen.

RedThorn on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any word if the deck system is going to be vastly different from the demo? I heard there was some discontentment with it that sort of gave Tasofro a bit of a shock.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    No clue. Tasofro hasn't updated their SWR page since last year. Even the demo patch iterations all just stayed on their main site blog.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I guess there's no telling what's what till Reitaisai. I'll be content with having Meirin in the game though more new additions would make things sweeter.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Ha ha ha ha ha. Spoke too soon. Official site just updated like, 20 minutes ago.

http://tasofro.net/touhou105/index.html

Edit:
    Nothing new in terms of characters or the like, but a brand new demo to download. Hrm hrm hrm.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit. Demo has story mode for some Reimu stages!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Oh shit indeed. Download is a little slow.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Mirror:
    http://swr.mizuumi.net/stuff/th105_t_w.zip

Just played through the story mode. Weather cards and skill cards are out, a couple different bombs are in (though I didn't mess with my deck). Reimu's [C] absolutely rapes all the enemy spellcards on normal. Alice is still glitchy as fuck (one of her dolls persisted through the entire match).

Marisa's first spell card is she shoots a star which then leaves a huge bomb when it hits you (or goes past) and spits out about 5 other stars in each direction. Her second is a satellite laser with her riding her broom, then just lots of shooting/stars in every direction.

Alice's first card was kamikaze swarms of Shanghai. Her second, she just spit out the spinning dolls in every direction and I stayed the hell away.

Aya's first card was her tornado dash, but then windblades shot back from where she left the screen. You can just jump at the edge and avoid all of it though. No clue on her second, I 2HKOed her with Reimu's 5-card spirit balls and a [C]... that's how overpowered they are (on Normal). 3rd was she summons one of the big tornados like her old SWR card, but it doesn't leave and just slowly moves toward you. Then she hops at you and does it again, and again. Each tornado lasts about 5 seconds, and sucks up/weakens projectiles.

There's lots of projectile crash in general with the spellcards, but [C] rips through them all.

I recorded it. It's encoding, but doing it really really slowly. I'll post the vid if it finishes before I need sleep.

MARVEL AT A VIRGIN PLAYTHROUGH! WHEE!
    Also, count the glitches. Oi.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mww2eb4fagI

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Just gave it a whirl. Weather cards are out but looks like Skill cards are still in. Reimu's got some overpowered stuff there. I'm liking the stage to stage transitions. Not much to say that you haven't already. Glitches ahoy.

I hope we'll find out more at Reitaisai.

Joule on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    These games always have the best names, I swear.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The knockback on Marisa's Star spell card when it hit you was kind of funny, it knocked you clear to the other side of the screen. What are Alice's dolls that were bugging supposed to do? It seems that even the ones that didn't bug out and last forever were just sitting there.

RedThorn on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ugh... the art style is terrible. They all have melon heads.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    RedThorn wrote: »
    The knockback on Marisa's Star spell card when it hit you was kind of funny, it knocked you clear to the other side of the screen. What are Alice's dolls that were bugging supposed to do? It seems that even the ones that didn't bug out and last forever were just sitting there.

Actually, that's my mistake and not a bug. 22B/22C turns the 'stuck' dolls into a stationary spinning razor attack briefly (ie, a delayed 236B/C from IaMP). You can spit out up to 4 of them, so basically cover the screen if people let you.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    urahonky wrote: »
    These games always have the best names, I swear.

Disappointed that this isn't based on the video game Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So... this is a Japanese game then? Nothing about a localization? I should just assume that any thread made from Aroduc is about Japan unless otherwise stated for US release.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So what's that Card after the bomb Card where you get like a red power up animation?

I'm wondering how applicable those skill cards will turn out to be in actual matches.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    So... this is a Japanese game then? Nothing about a localization? I should just assume that any thread made from Aroduc is about Japan unless otherwise stated for US release.

Yeah, fighting games have sooooooooooooo much text and are soooooooooooooooooo hard to play without knowing the story. I mean, shit... if I can't understand the nuances of why two characters are beating each other up, then there's no point in even touching it.
    Joule wrote: »
    So what's that Card after the bomb Card where you get like a red power up animation?

I'm wondering how applicable those skill cards will turn out to be in actual matches.

Glancing at the text, it modifies the weather somehow. Based on the current prediction or something? I can't test at the moment though.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »

Yeah, fighting games have sooooooooooooo much text and are soooooooooooooooooo hard to play without knowing the story. I mean, shit... if I can't understand the nuances of why two characters are beating each other up, then there's no point in even touching it.

So.... it's in English then? :o

Anyways, joking aside, you played the demo, right? How well do you think the controls can translate to a 360 controller? If there's no in game controller customization I can use Joy2key.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Decently I guess, though I've never used a 360 controller.

th1052008042917035242xc8.jpg

From top to bottom
    Directions
    Melee
    Weak-ranged
    Strong-ranged
    Dash
    Cardshift
    Super

And the text is too small for me to read whatever that option is on the bottom.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Seems a release date of May 25th has been announced. Shall we break out the sake at the Hakurei Shrine?

Joule on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    sounds good. generally there's only a problem if there's more than 6-8 buttons. the 360 controller sucks for 2D game inputs, but it's easiest for me to set up.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2008
    Ah, so... I was getting thrown by the weather changes. Completely different from the earlier demo. Well, same things, but different weather does different things.

Clear - Nothing
    Sunny - Extended flight
    Rain - Spellcards cost one less card
    Storm - Extra air jump
    Hail - Quick magic recovery

So, nothing particularly useful still, but *shrug*

Aroduc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    Fuck it. I'm hijacking my own thread.

Two games announced today. Battle Moon Wars Act 4 in August (Summer Comiket) and Touhou11 out... whenever Zun feels like it. Even for a Touhou game, the name is especially fucked up. "Subterranean Animism." What the shits, Zun? I guess I shouldn't be surprised since his blog is 99% "this is the beer I drank today," but come on, dude.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Touhou 11? Man Zun's a fucking slave driver. I'm still working on 1CC lunatic for like 7 of his games. D:

That title... well I guess we know something happens underground. Any else on it other than the name?

BMW act 4 huh? I guess I should get started on Act 1 since you've put some good work into the translation for it.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Wow, a new low point for Zun's naming. Or high point, I'm not sure which, because that name is pretty funny.

Well, here's to hoping that his artwork spawns more bad in jokes like "Reimu is a zombie".

RedThorn on
  • Options
    CamuiCamui Sogekidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Man, when I was scanning the threads really quick, I thought this was going to be about doujinshi comics.

Silly me. :winky:

Camui on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    animism.jpg

forth_1.jpgforth_2.jpg

Bazette sprite punching (>1mb gif)
    Camui wrote: »
    Man, when I was scanning the threads really quick, I thought this was going to be about doujinshi comics.

Silly me. :winky:

Who says it can't be?

40-fanservice.jpg

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    I like how Graze is back but no bomb counter? More generic bombs?

Mmmm Flicker jabs.

Mannosuke for good measure too.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    I like how Graze is back but no bomb counter? More generic bombs?
    Looks like it's basically the MoF engine as far as shooting/bombs go.

They've actually been posting quite a bit of Bazette lately on the blog.
    http://www.werk-zwei.jp/blog/

Another Punch/big Gif
    http://www.werk-zwei.jp/blog/files/punch3a.gif
    Stance with movement
    http://www.werk-zwei.jp/blog/files/flicker3.gif

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Crap, the power system is back? I really disliked that, it encouraged bombing through the parts you had trouble with too much.

RedThorn on
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    http://kourindou.exblog.jp/7850454/

Anyone want to translate his post?
    It looks like it's going to be tag team, like Imperishable Night. HOORAY.

setrajonas on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    In regards to the op- Loli: The Fightening.

Now I've seen everything.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    setrajonas wrote: »
    http://kourindou.exblog.jp/7850454/

Anyone want to translate his post?
    It looks like it's going to be tag team, like Imperishable Night. HOORAY.

いつも通り300円スリーコインの予定です。
     体験版だし大げさに発表するつもりはないので、ここら辺でひっそりと。
     体験版はいつもの通り
     ・三面で終了
     ・プラクティスとエキストラは選択不可
     という制約があります。

As always, 300 yen.
    Since it’s a demo, I didn’t want a huge fanfare, so I’m announcing it quietly.

As always, the demo will be three stages, with no Practice Mode and no Extra Stage.

ストーリーは
    「間欠泉と共に地霊達が湧いてきた。霊夢と魔理沙は温泉が出るからいいやと放っていたのだが、他の妖怪達がそれを許さずしぶしぶ土の下に潜る羽目に。
    土の下には忌み嫌われた能力を持つ妖怪達が封印されていたのだが……はたして二人の運命はいかに」
    というお話。いつも通りな感じ。

Story:
    “With the spouting of geysers, the spirits of the Earth emerge. Reimu and Marisa are fine with it, but the youkai can’t allow this. Sluggishly, they go underground, to the source of the disturbance. Sealed deep within the earth are youkai with a detestable ability… what will the pair do this time?”

…or something like that. Same as always.

今回は好きな妖怪を選択し、離れた地上から協力して貰うという形で敵に挑めます。今までの東方では攻略方法のキャラの差はさほど無かったのですが、今回の妖怪の特殊能力は攻略に多大な影響を与える癖のある物が多く、キャラ毎得手不得手な部分が出てくる様にしてみました。
     特に自分から動いて積極的に敵にダメージを与えに行くと楽になる場面が多めなので、今作は初見は難しめで攻略するととたんに楽になる感じになってるかもね。
     会話も選択した妖怪との妙な掛け合い漫才で進行します。

This time around, you can choose whichever youkai you like. I tried to create the feeling that Reimu and Marisa are borrowing power from the distant earth above. Up until now, there hasn’t been much difference in playing style between characters, but this time, chosen youkai have different abilities that seriously impact playing styles, so players should be able to see the pros and cons of using different characters clearly.

Since actively engaging and destroying enemies will make playing a lot easier, this might be the first time where playing at a higher difficulty might actually be more simple.

Depending on what youkai you choose, the dialogue might change into something like rapid-fire stand-up comedy.

あと、システム的な変更としては、今回からウィンドウサイズをいくつかから選択可能になりました。十分なスペックがあれば二倍の大きさのウィンドウでプレイできます。あと、入力のレスポンス最適方法を選択できたり色々と変更点があります。

それではスナップショットをいくつか置いておきます。

On the technical side, I’ve added the option of changing window sizes. If your computer is good enough, your window can be about twice as large as normal. In addition, you can also adjust input sensitivity and a host of other options.

Then, here are some screenshots.

--doot doot--

この体験版は後にフリーで公開する予定なので、いち早く見てみたいとか公開デバッグに協力したいという方以外は例大祭で無理に並ばなくても大丈夫です。
     また、サークル参加の皆様には一枚ずつ配る予定なので自分のサークルの売り子に専念して頂ければ幸いです。

では、また修羅場に帆かけてしゅらしゅしゅしゅー。

Even if you don't line up for the trial, it will be available for public download, so don't worry. I'd be appreciative if you could let the salespeople work so that they can distribute copies to everybody who attends. Or at least minimize the chaos.

It doesn't look like it's quite the same as the tag team. There's a little cellphone icon in the bottom corner which probably has a lot to do with the 'power' of the other teammate. I'm interested in the second power meter, as there seems to be one for 4 and another for 8.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Touhou 11? Man Zun's a fucking slave driver. I'm still working on 1CC lunatic for like 7 of his games. D:

That title... well I guess we know something happens underground. Any else on it other than the name?

BMW act 4 huh? I guess I should get started on Act 1 since you've put some good work into the translation for it.

Any Japanese folklore on...mole...people?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Hmm. I kind of like the idea of these youkai partners. It might mean that it's a strictly Reimu/Marisa deal but the potential for partners could mean a lot of the previous cast will appear in some form.

Joule on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

They kick reason to the curb and try to pierce the universe?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Cantido wrote: »

They kick reason to the curb and try to pierce the universe?

Your's is the Spark which destroys the Universe!
    Actually, I'd like a game where Marisa blows up the planet. Seems like something she should try sometime.

I wonder what typically bad ass being will ZUN loli-fy this time?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm calling it now - all the dragons went into hiding underground.

setrajonas on