As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Create On!] Spore Creature Creator Thread

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
sporegif20080614172508wn5.gifSPORE CREATURE CREATORsporegif20080614172508wn5.gif
Spore, the highly anticipated game from the creators of The Sims, gives players their own personal universe in a box. Create and evolve life, establish tribes, build civilizations, sculpt entire worlds and explore a universe created by other gamers. Spore gives players a wealth of creative tools to customize nearly every aspect of their universe: creatures, vehicles, buildings, and even UFOs. Players can then seamlessly share their creations with the world or explore infinite new galaxies created by other gamers.

The Spore Creature Creator gives Spore fans, and those who are creatively curious, the first hands-on opportunity to design their own species and share it with their friends. All creatures designed with the Spore Creature Creator can be imported into the full retail version of Spore for PC and Mac when it launches on 5th September 2008 in Europe and 7th September 2008 in North America.

But you already knew all that! What's really important is that you can use this program to make awesome dudes like this:
igotbaggageua1.jpg
Ivegotbaggage by TripKMA
or this:
CRE_-067fa29e_ful.png
By AJAlkaline40
or even this:
2d102er.jpg
Raptor Jesus by me!

Then you can create animated GIFs of them (as seen at the top of this post) or you can even upload videos of them directly to YouTube!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSaZ8S6Mqw&eurl=http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=50052&page=77
It gets even better! Starting tomorrow you will be able to upload your creatures to the Sporepedia where people will be able to view and download your best creations. Then, when the full version of Spore comes out, your creatures will be seeded into other players galaxies! So if you want the whole world to see your army of penis creatures, you're in luck.

When naming/describing your creature, you should make one of the tags 'Penny Arcade'. That way we can easily find each other's creations when the full game comes around.

How to get in on this action:

Good question! Well, on June 17th the free trial version of the creature creator, which features 1/4 of the parts from the full version, will be released. Then, on June 18th, you can buy the full version for $10. The full version of Spore won't be out until September, of course.

Don't buy the Sim Cities Box! It only contains the free trial version of the creator.

How to go about makin manz:

Watch this excellent tutorial video from Maxis!

Pay attention to the adding/removing joints bit. The key to making some of the more unconventional creatures is adding limbs and re-shaping them into whatever body part you're trying to emulate.

Now that you've made an awesome creature you naturally want to share it. Spore makes this easier than ever. Your creatures are saved as small PNG files which you can find by going to My Documents/My Spore Creations/Creatures. These are not just thumbnails of your creature. They also contain all the data that the program requires to display it. To download one of these files, all you have to do is drag the PNG from your browser and drop it over the Spore Creature Creator window. Poof! The creature is added to your Sporepedia.

NOTE: Only the small thumbnail images contain the necessary data! These can be obtained in the Sporepedia by clicking the 'download' link just below the creatures portrait. Dragging and dropping the larger image will do nothing.

Want to know more about how the PNG encryption works? Jonxp has done some great detective work into this matter:
jonxp wrote:
The creature data is encoded in the actual PNG images not as metadata, but through stenographically altering the image. Each pixel is made of four bytes of data (Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha) to extract the data from the image, one needs to take each byte of the image, divide it by two, and use the remainder as a single bit (this is known as a modulus operation). So for each byte in the decoded image you get a bit of information, each pixel is a nibble, and every two pixels is a full byte. Since the thumbs are 128x128, you can store 8KB of information in this manner.

I have written a program to extract the creature data, unfortunately it seems to be signed and/or encoded in some fashion, so I can't actually manipulate it (as far as I can tell).

I will put up some proof-of-concept "spore rolled" creatures soon that appear to be one creature, but are in fact a different one when loaded.

I'll put those "spore rolled" creatures right here when he posts them.

Common problems:

Can't upload creatures to Sporepedia? That's because after the leak became widespread, EA stopped allowing uploads from the trial version. You will be able to upload them on June 17th!

Are your creatures not appearing in-game even though the number next to "My Creations" displays the correct amount? This is a common problem with no known solution! The good news is that your creatures are not deleted. They should still be saved in your My Documents/My Spore Creations/Creatures folder. Make sure you hold onto them until EA fixes this bug.

Did you try to drag and drop a creature into your Sporepedia, only to have it not appear? You probably dragged the wrong image file. Only the small thumbnail contains data that the creator can read!

Is there some vidal piece of information that I, in my stupidity, have forgotten to include in this post? Message me or let me know in the thread!

Spore Creature Contest!

One very good idea that's been put forward several times is that we have a competition, similar to a Photoshop contest, where we design creatures around a certain theme and then vote on the best submissions. If we can settle on the rules and come up with a good theme, I will put the information here.

Food on

• Options
    FoodFood Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gallery of Awesome Dudes
    If you get your creature posted here, make sure you make your png available so that other players can download it.
    Also: I will try to post all the awesome creatures I can here, but there's no way I'll be able to get them all. This thread moves really fast. Therefor I cannot guarantee I will put every awesome creature up here. Even the really awesome ones.

SpongeCake's 'Crolot'
    crecrolot0680ba92smlip8.jpg
    crecrolot0680ba93smlfz7.jpg
    crolotef3.png

Utsanomiko's 'Evolution'
    hobonoidevolutionjg8.png

Synthetic Orange's 'Samus Aran'
    2vaegps.jpg
    ji1cmu.png

MyCoCo's 'Genestealer'
    CRE_Ymgarl-0680f887_ful.png
    Ymgarl.png

Modain's 'Ceiling Croc'
    creceilingcroc067efb7dfbe3.png

Not specifically a creature, but awesome nonetheless: by RCagent
    sneakrug.jpg

NotACrook's series of vehicle creatures:
    Amelia.jpg
    CarAndDriver.jpg
    Mitchell.jpg
    KayakBob.jpg
    500001011256.png500000517419.png500000045367.png500000533988.png

Food on
  • Options
    Typhus733Typhus733 Yip! Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Between Brood and Hydralisks, everyone knows Miek is really the superior bug.

Typhus733 on
  • Options
    SpongeCakeSpongeCake Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    sporegif20080616201347ii2.gif

CONSUME

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    This is not happening fast enough. Go!

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I think it's woth outlining the powers of the .png for sharing creatures in the OP. Not enough people post it when showing of their beasts.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm reserving one post for all my stuff in this thread. I'll have to update when I get home with new photos:

My Sporepedia collection.

aftermantu8.png

sporegif20080615134050lc6.gif500001200685.png500001202214.png500001195676.png500001614987.png500001636321.png500001196262.png500001197950.png
    rtvlevolvevs6.png
    cre067f4ec6fulfg9.jpg
    sporegif20080615211054zd0.gif

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In particular, does anyone have a .png of that great Chocobo from the last thread?

I would show you guys my Hydra, but I am not very good at this.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm torn between abject delight (creature creator is out early111!!) and extreme caution (it's a trap!). I want my spore experience to be as pure as possible, so I'll probably assist in the "F5 DOSing" which will inevitably take down spore.com at midnight tonight. This will be followed by watching a download creep along at an amazing 15kb/s for five hours, until I get tired of it all and grab the demo off a random bit-torrent site which posted it under suspicious circumstances three years ago.

No, the zip file is not filled with spoons. It's Spore 5! Shut up, you.

Frem on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Weird, I just loaded it up, and I'm getting weird audio problems. It's kinda buzzing/crackling at me like a dying NES or something. Not constantly, it just seems to be when it's trying do to certain sounds.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    In particular, does anyone have a .png of that great Chocobo from the last thread?

I'm pretty sure the Chocobo was made using a full version of the Creature Creator (i.e. by a member of the press/Maxis) not the demo, so I don't think it would load into the trial even if you had a .png.

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    From the last thread, because it's going to disappear:

I was quite happy with the way this dude turned out.
    1creostrawk06815a72fultq2.png

ostrawkca1.png

W2 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Lykouragh wrote: »

500000017456.png

It was on the Sporepedia :P

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thanks!

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    One of mine.

CarryMeDaddy.png

Carry me Daddy!
    CRE_CarryMeDaddy-0680b720_sml.jpg

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    A few of the ones I'm most proud of... (only the little png's as I haven't snapped pics yet)

Malchion.png
    Tell me he doesn't look like he's plotting something...

Macecurtain.png
    His Strike animation is quite impressive, and watching him walk is hilarious.

BroadsideBug.png
    I know, many people have made mass-weapon creatures, but (if you drag him in) just watch his Spit animation. I find it both impressive and terrifying.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My latest creation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fq7ERpqAjFk

My .pngs.

angrybolamonsterfm1.pngemeraldgromniere2.pngfeatherlumpkines6.pngfiveleggedhgralbbk8.pnggrassassinfg1.png
    nylathoxup7.pngoneleggedlestertt0.pngplatedspitterws0.pngquadingusgp3.pngthesnoxvg0.png

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm truly truly amazed at how easy this looks, especially how easy it seems to be to share your creations.

Really impressive.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    CRE_Sansiel-06808ffe_ful-1.png

He floats using air stored in a giant air tank in his tail.

By putting his mouth on his legs, the animation bugs out so he looks like hes hovering sometimes.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I might as well dump a few of my favorite .pngs.

myrmikotjp9.pngmawtroxtn7.png
    staltoidox5.pngpeltaxwm7.png
    crolotef3.pngchattertixfh8.png

SpongeCake on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I love how the PNG's use the alpha channel to encode the data. It's very well done. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    From their description in the books, this is kind of what I imagined a Pierson's Puppeteer to look like, apart from the mane that they're meant to have

puppeteer.png

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Tried to make the great one himself...failed mind, but hey i have no artistic talent :(

Saw a few better versions of this before I tried mind:

crecthulhu0680db12smlnf4.jpg
    crecthulhu0680db12smlnf4.c1076a2df1.jpg

cthulhuij1.png

:D

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    CelethangCelethang Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Jetpack Lizard, now with video!

JetpackLizard.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpJ8DuV4clc

Celethang on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Is the old thread getting locked?

Also, I can't believe they delayed the full creature creator. :(:(:(

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Haha, Will Wrights head actually DOES pop up in the menu.. I thoughr you guys were joking..

Fuga on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Gamestop's website says they're shipping physical copies of the creature creator, but my copy is listed as backordered...

Doronron on
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I hope the monsters look better in the actual game. Those textures are pretty bland and shitty.

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I move that this post by jonxp be quoted somewhere in the OP, firstly for his impressive detective work, but secondly because it is totally awesome what Maxis have done here:
    jonxp wrote: »

The creature data is encoded in the actual PNG images not as metadata, but through stenographically altering the image. Each pixel is made of four bytes of data (Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha) to extract the data from the image, one needs to take each byte of the image, divide it by two, and use the remainder as a single bit (this is known as a modulus operation). So for each byte in the decoded image you get a nit of information, each pixel is a nibble, and every two pixels is a full byte. Since the thumbs are 128x128, you can store 8KB of information in this manner.

I have written a program to extract the creature data, unfortunately it seems to be signed and/or encoded in some fashion, so I can't actually manipulate it (as far as I can tell).

I will put up some proof-of-concept "spore rolled" creatures soon that appear to be one creature, but are in fact a different one when loaded.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I move that this post by jonxp be quoted somewhere in the OP, firstly for his impressive detective work, but secondly because it is totally awesome what Maxis have done here:
    jonxp wrote: »

The creature data is encoded in the actual PNG images not as metadata, but through stenographically altering the image. Each pixel is made of four bytes of data (Red, Green, Blue, and Alpha) to extract the data from the image, one needs to take each byte of the image, divide it by two, and use the remainder as a single bit (this is known as a modulus operation). So for each byte in the decoded image you get a bit of information, each pixel is a nibble, and every two pixels is a full byte. Since the thumbs are 128x128, you can store 8KB of information in this manner.

If that's done, please include the spelling correction I just added.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    Weird, I just loaded it up, and I'm getting weird audio problems. It's kinda buzzing/crackling at me like a dying NES or something. Not constantly, it just seems to be when it's trying do to certain sounds.

If you get this figured out at all, tell me, since I'm having the same issue. At least with the trial version; I'll see if it's still happening in the full one when it arrives.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    My creature for the Sporelebrity thing they're doing! I spent WAY too much time playing with this over the weekend. I don't have a PNG of it but I'll try to take one tonight.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JCbZlIcv3yg

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    1twtub.gif

It looks so weird when moving. ://

Fuga on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Wait, you're a celebrity? With your own official registered celebrity card and all the perks?
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I hope the monsters look better in the actual game. Those textures are pretty bland and shitty.

Quite a few people are running old video cards (mine in particular is a Radeon 9700), which don't appear to be rendering reflections or bump mapping. Spore seems to only require about 2.0 Ghz and 256MB of RAM, on the other hand.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    JinxJinx Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I'm not, but don't tell anyone or they'll stop giving me free stuff.

Fuga: what... is that? I can't tell. Ze mandibles are all over ze screen!

Jinx on
    The Guitar Zeros << My friend's rad band that everyone should <3
    linkstick.gif
  • Options
    X3x3nonX3x3non Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So, can we get some penis men and vagina people going? Comon, you all know you want to! Just image a race of penis men conquering a planet populated by wild vaginas. The possibilities!

X3x3non on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Spore seems to only require about 2.0 Ghz and 256MB of RAM, on the other hand.

I know, its almost CREEPY having a game (well, editor, or whatever) this new run so smooth on my computer. Sure it looks like general ass (particularly with bigger creatures), but it would take monumentally poor graphics for that to matter in my mind, unlike some of my relatives.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I wonder how this guy would survive in life.
    CRE_Omni-Moose-068095c5_ful-1.png
    Omni-Moose.png

Shabooty on
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Oh wow, you guys are awesome. I can't wait.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    500000158305_lrg.png

This guy looks like he'd be a huge asshole.

EDIT:

This is my new favourite creature500000033979_lrg.png

parabola on