As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX Run (the exercise kind)

thunderclap8thunderclap8 Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
I saw the 'breakfast run' thread and got excited thinking a bunch of runners were meeting up. But now I see that I misunderstood just what kind of run that means :)

Is anybody interested in meeting up for an early morning exercise run on Thursday or Friday? It'd be just a mile or two, since I am nowhere near a marathoner level of fitness.

I'm also completely unfamiliar with Seattle - what's a good running course to take? I don't see any parks particularly near the convention center.

thunderclap8 on

• Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited August 2008
    The waterfront is a nice little scenic jog, imo, and unlike the rest of Seattle, it's pretty flat. =)

David Coffman on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Around Green Lake is the best place to run in Seattle IMO.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    wait... you mean my legs are designed to move with speed? I'm not sure I believe this.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    thunderclap8: I changed the Pre-Pax Breakfast thread to not have the word "run" in it to avoid any confusion. Anyway, have fun running folks! 8-)

MR.T on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    thanks for the advice all, we'll see if I'm still motivated enough to go if it ends up being just me :)

thunderclap8 on
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Running before a long weekend of walking around and standing to see the concerts? You people are crazy.

I'd love to do this, just to see Seattle, but I'm going to need all my energy for PAX itself. The Sheraton's swimming pool will be more than enough exercise for me. :p

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    katherine_84fkatherine_84f Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Come on, running will give you MORE energy to enjoy PAX more! It's not like it's a marathon here .. I'm in for a couple of miles :)

katherine_84f on
  • Options
    MR.TMR.T Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    A couple of miles would probably be like a marathon for most of us! :P Walking to Pike Place for breakfast is about as much excercise as I'm going to get this weekend. Gotta save my enery for gaming!

MR.T on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    That's a good point. Perhaps we should measure distance in blocks or feet instead of miles?

Then again, is this to say that no one out there has the Wii Fit? Although, from all of the lists of the cheats you can do to "win" without actually working out, I'm not sure if that would actually change anything!

katherine_84f on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is anybody interesting in meeting up for an early morning exercise run on Thursday or Friday? It'd be just a mile or two, since I am nowhere near a marathoner level of fitness.

This is going to sound incredibly elitist, but:

Really?

I'm nowhere near a marathoner level of fitness either and my 10-minute mile pace wont win any awards, but I wont even bother putting my shoes on for less than a 3 mile run. (That's about a half hour run at my abysmally slow pace.)

Most people don't really realize how short a mile actually is. A good solid day at a convention and you've likely walked between six and ten miles.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Stupid wrote: »
    Is anybody interesting in meeting up for an early morning exercise run on Thursday or Friday? It'd be just a mile or two, since I am nowhere near a marathoner level of fitness.

This is going to sound incredibly elitist, but:

Really?

I'm nowhere near a marathoner level of fitness either and my 10-minute mile pace wont win any awards, but I wont even bother putting my shoes on for less than a 3 mile run. (That's about a half hour run at my abysmally slow pace.)

Most people don't really realize how short a mile actually is. A good solid day at a convention and you've likely walked between six and ten miles.

I'm about a 9:30 mile myself, but I don't know if I would do a 3-mile, since as you pointed out there will be much walking done at the convention itself.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm down for this, I'm getting into a morning jog session every other day and this sounds like a good way to get things moving.

Only thing would be I have flatfeet and might not be able to keep up the endurance levels you guys have. Other then that this sounds like fun.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stupid wrote: »
    Really?

There's a 9 hour difference between my current timezone and Seattle. I'll be happy to even survive PAX itself.

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    LarsBarsLarsBars Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'm down for this. I will probably be working the afternoon of thursday, but in the morning I would be able to run. Maybe I will bring my girlfriend, she runs cross country for Central Washington University. Where are you running?

LarsBars on
  • Options
    ReflexPointReflexPoint Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'm a fatty that lives on Capitol Hill (about 10 blocks away from the event) and used to live next to Greenlake. I'm down for wherever, I could use an embarrassing outing!

ReflexPoint on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yay, interest! I nominate Thursday morning for the run. This'll keep conflicts with Friday morning stuff to a minimum, and not tire anybody out before actual PAX day #1 stuff.

I suggested the mileage be pretty short to keep the barrier to entry low - I tend to run 5k (3.11 miles) usually, at a roughly 9-10 minute pace. Plus it means less of a route to plan out :) But really, there's nothing to say anybody can't keep running after everyone is done, or drop out early.

So, there's been two suggestions for a run site:

1. Green Lake. Looks pretty cool, but is 5 miles away from the convention center (I'm assuming most people are staying near it)

2. The Waterfront. Looks pretty interesting from a sightseeing standpoint, plus is close to the convention center.

I'd vote for the waterfront out of these two - any other opinions or location suggestions?

Here's a sample Waterfront route that google showed me: http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=192745
    We could carve off a piece of that.

thunderclap8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Green lake is actually made to go around (I forget how long the trail is but I think 3 miles). The waterfront could be a bit cumbersome depending on where you choose to run.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Only thing would be I have flatfeet and might not be able to keep up the endurance levels you guys have. Other then that this sounds like fun.

Orthotics are your friend. Trust me on this. They can be pricey but you will never regret it.

Anyhow,

I'm down for some running.
    I'll be staying at the Medditerranean in the Queen Anne area. From what I recall it is a little on the hilly side.

I won't be in town until the Friday, but I was planning on 10k before the doors open on Saturday.

Anyone?

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'm not in town until Friday as well, so I'd like the 5k then. The 10k would be a bit much for me! I'd probably keel over at mile 5. Eek.

katherine_84f on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This one sounds interesting => http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=864445
    Bonus, relatively close to where I'm staying.

It's 3mi/5k so everyone could do the first lap and the keeners could carry on.

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The Derm wrote: »

Orthotics are your friend. Trust me on this. They can be pricey but you will never regret it.

Anyhow,

I'm down for some running.
    I'll be staying at the Medditerranean in the Queen Anne area. From what I recall it is a little on the hilly side.

I won't be in town until the Friday, but I was planning on 10k before the doors open on Saturday.

Anyone?

Yeah that's one of the main plans for once I get a more steady paycheck. Also since I'm taking the train into town I'd like to do this Friday morning.

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Yeah that's one of the main plans for once I get a more steady paycheck. Also since I'm taking the train into town I'd like to do this Friday morning.

I am jealous of those taking the train. I think I'll have to look into that for next year when I bring my older kids.

I totally understand about the regular paycheck thing. Even with extended medical (these things aren't covered in Canada) it costs more than a few bucks, and I don't have to pay for the Dr's visits to get to that stage.

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    The Derm wrote: »
    This one sounds interesting => http://www.run.com/showroute.asp?map=864445
    Bonus, relatively close to where I'm staying.

It's 3mi/5k so everyone could do the first lap and the keeners could carry on.

That route looks pretty cool. I like the idea of being on a real path in a park instead of just streets. It's a bit far from the convention center, but there must be bus routes.

edit: yup, from what I can tell busses 19, 24, or 33 will work. They go within a few blocks of the convention center and the hotels there, and have a stop right at the start point of that run. They go North on 4th ave, and South on 2nd ave.

thunderclap8 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I'll try to see if any others in the group I am travelling with will be up for a run. I have my doubts.

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    eye-shuheye-shuh Walla Walla, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Hmmm...if Greenlake wins, I'd be down. Except, I'm way out of shape so would probably end up being more of a morning walk for me.

FYI: Greenlake is about 2.5 miles around. But I think that measure is the inner ring of the inner ring and not the bike lane, or the street-side.

eye-shuh on
  • Options
    BramtyrBramtyr Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I'm stepping into this convo late, but I do occasionally run around Greenlake. The route from my place in the university district, to greenlake, around it, back is almost 10k

Bramtyr on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    at any other time, i'd definitely be down for the run, but i really can't have my ankles and knees hurting when walking miles through pax.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Bramtyr wrote: »
    I'm stepping into this convo late, but I do occasionally run around Greenlake. The route from my place in the university district, to greenlake, around it, back is almost 10k

The problem for me is access to Green Lake area from the Hotel (in Queen Anne) as I am not travelling by car, and have only the barest of familiarity with the Seattle transit system.

Also, running by the water is nice (when it's not too windy)

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    GameRabbitGameRabbit Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Greenlake is the de facto "short-distance" place to run in Seattle. 2.6 mi for the inner loop, 3.2 mi for the outer loop. There is also Discovery Park which is criss-crossed with forested dirt trails. Also of note, Seattle is hilly. Oh my is it hilly. It does, however, make for some wonderfully scenic running.

Personally, I'll be running 4 mi on Friday morning, and 6 mi on Saturday morning, but I can't see going on a group run since everyone has a different pace.

GameRabbit on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    GameRabbit wrote: »
    but I can't see going on a group run since everyone has a different pace.

I agree that this is the biggest problem. It's always nice to dream.

The Derm on
    But I forgot my pen...
This discussion has been closed.