As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fatal1ty press release

GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
edited August 2008 in PAX Archive
The concept of a press release announcing that someone isn't welcome at PAX is really funny, but I guess I'm not hip enough to understand the meaning behind it. Is Gabe serious or is it just a joke?
World’s Top Gamer “Fatal1ty” will not be at the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX)
PAX is proud to announce that they will not be welcoming E-sportsman Johnathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel to the event.

“There is no one else in the video game industry quite like Fatal1ty and we’re thrilled that he won't be attending our show” said Gabe, Chief Executive Officer of the Penny Arcade Expo, the greatest video game festival in the universe. “Seriously, if he even tries to come we'll kick him out.”

Ghazgkull on

• Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I think it's great! It gives PAX more credibility with me. Of course they'll still allow the Frag Dolls which is just as bad.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    search E 4 All fatal1ty and it will all make sense. Or go look at Kotaku

edit: for the lazy e-for-all sees fatal1ty is a selling-point

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    TacoChiefTacoChief Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ghazgkull wrote: »
    The concept of a press release announcing that someone isn't welcome at PAX is really funny, but I guess I'm not hip enough to understand the meaning behind it. Is Gabe serious or is it just a joke?
    World’s Top Gamer “Fatal1ty” will not be at the Penny Arcade Expo (PAX)
    PAX is proud to announce that they will not be welcoming E-sportsman Johnathan “Fatal1ty” Wendel to the event.

“There is no one else in the video game industry quite like Fatal1ty and we’re thrilled that he won't be attending our show” said Gabe, Chief Executive Officer of the Penny Arcade Expo, the greatest video game festival in the universe. “Seriously, if he even tries to come we'll kick him out.”

Maybe fatal1ty is a dick head. Many "professional gamers" are stuck up and think they are amazing. I personally wouldnt care to meet this guy :P

TacoChief on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just read the E 4 all press release. Now it makes more sense. I've watched 1 showing of the Championship Gaming Series. It just makes me shake my head. I found it very annoying, and do not want that at PAX.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Gabe is making fun of the E for All expo that sent out a similar press release earlier today.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    GhazgkullGhazgkull Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Thanks for the link. Hilarious. :)

Ghazgkull on
  • Options
    hardwareguyhardwareguy Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    I know they're making fun of E4All, but it seems kinda douchey still. Imagine how awkward it'd be if he was planning on going.

hardwareguy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hahaha E 4 All sucks ass. PAX forever!!!!111oneone

TacoChief on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I got a pretty good laugh out of this. Not that I have anything agaisnt Faltalonety personally, or anything, but this was really funny.

edit: Hwguy, I'm sure if he was actually planning on going he'd realize it was a joke. Or he'd e-mail Gabe or something.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Epic quote from the Kotaku article
    He looks like jeff k and probably has the most embarassing career this side of menstral pad tester

Also, having met Fatality, I know he's a complete jerkoff. He can go stick with his E for All buddies. They better not bring their LCD T-shirts back to PAX this year, because that just annoyed the shit out of me every time I walked out of the venue.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    FunranFunran Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    Gabe might have been joking 100% and meant to direct all negativity toward E for All, but I thought this came off pretty strongly against Fatality either way. Which feels kinda unfair, the poor guy is really the only public professional gamer, and yeah sure, maybe he is a bit smug from what I hear but the whole internet hates him just because he gets paid to play games.

Funran on
  • Options
    StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Now this Fatality guy might be a douche you don't want at your convention, but I fail to se why it is embarrassing to make a comfortable living playing games.

Seems kind of a great deal to me actually.

Stolly on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Stolly wrote: »
    Now this Fatality guy might be a douche you don't want at your convention, but I fail to se why it is embarrassing to make a comfortable living playing games.

Seconded.
    But the PAX press release was capital-A Awesome and exactly the kind of response I expect from PA to nonsense like that E release. I fell over laughing when I read it.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well if I was any kind of celebrity I would be respectful to the public or my fans at the very least. From what Ive heard this guy is a stuck up bastard. Nobody likes that.

TacoChief on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I am going to trust TrainwreckX on this, unless somebody else has had personal contact with him. Maybe he was a jerk to Mike or something and that led to the newspost. I doubt that he would do it 'just because' he's the centerpiece for E4A.

And I also agree with TrainwreckX about those retarded E4A telletubbies. Now that there has actually been one E4A I might actually treat them like itinerant missionaries and engage them about how much E4A is known to suck balls (mostly empty, repetitive and redundant old content, too expensive with too few registration options). They should expect it considering how deplorable an advertising tactic they're using.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    TacoChief wrote: »
    Hahaha E 4 All sucks ass. PAX forever!!!!111oneone

AGREED.

It's in capslocks so you know I'm serious.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    edited August 2008

Well if I was any kind of celebrity I would be respectful to the public or my fans at the very least. From what Ive heard this guy is a stuck up bastard. Nobody likes that.

Seconded. I hope he doesn't come. There are perfectly cool celebrities out there. He's just not one of them. If he was personable, I'd have no problem with him. I think it's cool he gets paid to play games, just like I get paid to make them. It helps developers that there are people out there trying to penetrate professional sports with gaming.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I don't dispute that. I just didn't get the quoted comment about how being a pro-gamer is this extremly embarassing career.

I mean if I got the chance to make a lot of money by playing games I'd sure take it.

Now the E for All press release however sure did deserve the mockery.

Stolly on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I for one am happy about this.

parabola on
  • Options
    InfradeadInfradead Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    No one has ever made me quite as angry as Fatalonety. The guy is a total prick.
    As much as I hope he really is banned from PAX, wouldn't that be illegal or something? If so, I offer to take full legal responsibility. I'm pretty sure I could argue some kind of mental health and safety law...

Infradead on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a problem with his Fatal1ty branded PC hardware products. He allows manufacturers to put his name
    on shitty mid-range graphics cards and then they claim that these pieces of crap will give you some kind of
    "edge" when gaming in a PC tournament.

I can motherfucking guarantee you that Fatal1ty is not using a piece of shit GeForce 8500 GT in his rig.

Back in October of 2007 I wrote a rant on my site (GPUReview.com) about Fatal1ty's graphics cards.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I don't dispute that. I just didn't get the quoted comment about how being a pro-gamer is this extremly embarassing career.

I mean if I got the chance to make a lot of money by playing games I'd sure take it.

Now the E for All press release however sure did deserve the mockery.

I think the quote was a lot more epic just because of how funny it was, and the fact that he mentioned Jeff K, who nobody has talked about for like 4 years.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    terrixterrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Read the comments below the Kotaku article if you want some context for why you probably give your convention more cred banning the guy rather then making him your star attraction.

terrix on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Infradead wrote: »
    As much as I hope he really is banned from PAX, wouldn't that be illegal or something?

Why would it? I assume PAX is a private event. Those in charge should be well within their rights to ban anyone they like, as long as it doesn't run into some arbitrary discrimination laws. Seeing that the person in question looks white, male and is presumably straight I doubt discrimination would be an issue.

Edit: The last time I tried to read a Kotaku comment thread my brain tried to escape through my nose.

Stolly on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    As much as I hope he really is banned from PAX, wouldn't that be illegal or something?

Why would it? I assume PAX is a private event. Those in charge should be well within their rights to ban anyone they like, as long as it doesn't run into some arbitrary discrimination laws. Seeing that the person in question looks white, male and is presumably straight I doubt discrimination would be an issue.

He's basically Trevor, the beer bong master. So you've nailed his look on the head. Fist pounds anyone?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I have a problem with his Fatal1ty branded PC hardware products. He allows manufacturers to put his name
    on shitty mid-range graphics cards and then they claim that these pieces of crap will give you some kind of
    "edge" when gaming in a PC tournament.

I can motherfucking guarantee you that Fatal1ty is not using a piece of shit GeForce 8500 GT in his rig.

Back in October of 2007 I wrote a rant on my site (GPUReview.com) about Fatal1ty's graphics cards.

Thats my problem too. Except the competitive games are all games that don't really make your video card work that hard. So branding a video card saying it'll give you an "edge" is pointless even if its high end.

parabola on
  • Options
    ghrogghrog Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Fatal1ty doesn't even play videogames competitively anymore, he's just a marketer and run's his FPO initiative on the side.

At this point he's just famous for being famous. Not to mention he helped kill dueling games (too much turn over).

ghrog on
    PAX PC-Tournament Admin | http://www.bellinghamlan.com
  • Options
    NorthNorth Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Anyone else remember the story about someone from Fataloneity's trailer at E4A following around a media person trying to get an interview?

North on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

He's basically Trevor, the beer bong master. So you've nailed his look on the head. Fist pounds anyone?

Whore yourself out to every company in the industry without any thought to the quality of what you're representing? Fist pound!

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    FunranFunran Registered User new member
    edited August 2008
    ghrog wrote: »
    Fatal1ty doesn't even play videogames competitively anymore, he's just a marketer and run's his FPO initiative on the side.

At this point he's just famous for being famous. Not to mention he helped kill dueling games (too much turn over).

That isn't true at all man, don't make shit up. He was just playing tourneys at Quakecon last weekend in Dallas, I was there, and he was on top.

Funran on
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    This dude is a total douchenozzle who represents all of the negative aspects of gaming rolled into one nice little package for easy disposal.

Seriously I hope he tries to come and they seriously do deny him entry.

Grath on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    He won't show up because nobody's paying him to do so.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    nooooooo, not Fatal1ty! I was so hoping to see him this year! Now what am I going to do at PAX?

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Douchenozzling aside if I were a pro gamer I would put my name on barbie dolls if they paid me for it. Marketing is a big joke and i'd make it clear that buying "Deadlysherpa" branded gear is not buying quality right off the bat.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Douchenozzling aside if I were a pro gamer I would put my name on barbie dolls

Where would you put it? :winky:

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    super...super... __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2008
    In E 4 all's attempt to copy pax, they realized they were missing the host figures that G&T provide for pax. their solution to this "host gap" is to have fatal1ty walk around.

problem is G&T are much more then just good hosts, because they actually have control over what happens at pax.

super... on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited August 2008
    That and they actually care if people are having a good time.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2008
    That is why PAX will forever grow larger and continue to rock F*ckin socks off :o

TacoChief on
  • Options
    Sl1pstreamSl1pstream [E] BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Buying Fatal1ty branded products doesn't equal fun?

Sl1pstream on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

That and they actually care about the quality of stuff that they endorse. They turn down a lot of business deals just because they don't like the products or don't think the association would be relevant or meaningful.

They're also genuinely just good guys. I make a point to shake Jerry's hand every year. (Mike's great too, but I like to pretend that Jerry and I have a 'special bond' as literati.)

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
This discussion has been closed.