Room 2
1600 - 2000: Munchkin
2000 - conclusion: Citadels
Room 3
1600 - 2000: Carcassonne
2000 - conclusion: Zombies!!!

Saturday
Room 1
1100 - 1700: Mutant Chronicles Minis (available at FFG booth, players provide their own)
1700 - conclusion: Anima Minis (available at FFG booth, players provide their own)
The tournament will be swiss style tournaments. 300 points with standard rule book team composition. No proxies of models or cards allowed.
Room 2
1100 - conclusion: Starcraft
Room 3
1100 - 1800: Battlestar Galactica
1800 - conclusion: Puerto Rico

Sunday
Room 1
1100 - conclusion: UFS Card Game (available at FFG booth, players provide their own)
Room 2
1100 - conclusion: RoboRally
Room 3
1100 - conclusion: Settlers of Catan

Registration
  • Registration for ALL Tabletop tournaments begins on Friday, August 29th, at the game checkout area.
  • Signups for Saturday and Sunday tournaments will be limited on Friday. Unrestricted registration begins the morning of a specific event, meaning signups for Sunday are also restricted through Saturday.
  • Each tournament has two lists: Main and Standby. Once the Main list has been filled up, you can only sign up on Standby. This means you can only enter the tournament if someone from the Main list fails to show up (odds of this happening are generally pretty good). Entrants from Standby are on a first-come, first-served basis.
  • All tournaments will be for a maximum of 32 players.
  • All tournaments will be single elimination.
  • Every game board will be filled to capacity, with the top players from each round advancing to make for a full game in the next round.
  • Prizes will be awarded to the top three players of each tournament.

signature.png
PucSpifo on

• Options
    TrainwreckXTrainwreckX Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I HATE PAX (only because I want to do a ton of PC, Console, and Tabletop tournaments).

Argggg Catan, Carcassonne, Robo Rally, Starcraft TBG. Pax is epic this year.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    PucSpifoPucSpifo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm glad we could agonize you :)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    yah...gonna have to think hard on if I want to spend my friday afternoon playing Carcassonne or doing other stuff =/

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    The DermThe Derm Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    yah...gonna have to think hard on if I want to spend my friday afternoon playing Carcassonne or doing other stuff =/

Oh! Eternal Conflict!
    I hear you.
    However, if there was a Tikal tourney it wouldn't even be a choice for me.8-)

The Derm on
    Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position
    Such a heavy burden now to be the one
    Born to bare and read to all the details of our ending
    To write it down for all the world to see
    But I forgot my pen...
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Almost got Tikal a while ago. Got Shogun instead. I would REALLY throw down though if there was Puerto Rico. I'd dedicate a whole day to it if I had to.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would REALLY throw down though if there was Puerto Rico. I'd dedicate a whole day to it if I had to.

Good game. I always lose though =(

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    It's pretty cutthroat, even without a combat element. I've seen people get REALLY pissed walking away from it, just cause two people decided to team up and lock up a boat so the lead player couldn't use it :)

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I would love to have a Puerto Rico tourney, but sadly, we don't have time/space or materials for a full blown game :( Maybe I'll get it in there next year. However, if a few copies of Puerto Rico suddenly made themselves available, I wouldn't be opposed to putting that together on the fly.

Also, I'm trying to squeeze a Zombies!!! tourney in there, so I'll see how that plays out.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    note that one PR game takes about 1/3 the time of a Starcraft game. I'll bring my copy of Puerto Rico in case you have the aformentioned change of heart. 32 players wouldn't be too bad if you go with 5 players the fist round. I think it's the most balanced skill-based board game ever made, and would always be my first choice for tourney play. Note that I am NOT complaining, as I think the game selection is fine.

In other news I haven't played zombies yet. Is it like Last Night On Earth?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Almost got Tikal a while ago. Got Shogun instead. I would REALLY throw down though if there was Puerto Rico. I'd dedicate a whole day to it if I had to.

Look at the schedule.

Do you see Munchkin? Good. I think that tells us what kind of show they are running here and it is not a Puerto Rico/Tikal/Shogun kind of show.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    note that one PR game takes about 1/3 the time of a Starcraft game. I'll bring my copy of Puerto Rico in case you have the aformentioned change of heart. 32 players wouldn't be too bad if you go with 5 players the fist round. I think it's the most balanced skill-based board game ever made, and would always be my first choice for tourney play. Note that I am NOT complaining, as I think the game selection is fine.

In other news I haven't played zombies yet. Is it like Last Night On Earth?

I've not played Last Night on Earth. The only thing I'll comment about Zombies!!! is that the game can get into a stalemate state for about an hour, and I'd say this happens about 1/3 of the time. There are house rules to mitigate this problem but I prefer playing other games as my mitigation strategy.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Look at the schedule.

Do you see Munchkin? Good. I think that tells us what kind of show they are running here and it is not a Puerto Rico/Tikal/Shogun kind of show.

Actually we are a Tikal/Shogun/Puerto Rico kind of show, as well as a Munchkin/Chez Geek/Lunch Money kind of show. We're a show of the people, by the people and for the people. We try to provide something for everyone.

As a super secret (don't tell anyone) I have added Puerto Rico and Zombies!!! to the schedule ;)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    do you need copies of Puerto Rico? I could possibly borrow my friend's copy for the weekend and bring it down.

on a somewhat related note: since tabletop is in a different building this year, are the hours going to be the same as PAX, or is it going to be all night like it was at the Red Lion in 06?

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    First off, let's get this out of the way. PucSpifo, I love you. The PR addition makes you the coolest admin in the house, even if you are in a separate house as the other admins!

Also, since these are seemingly the official PAX tournaments, are the prizes going to be PAX tickets like other areas?

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    SunshineGrrrlSunshineGrrrl Seattle - EastsideRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I love puerto rico. Honestly one of my favorite board games and incredibly fun in it's simplicity.

SunshineGrrrl on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    But it only has one random element which is enough to make games differ, yet it is soooo skill-based. It's the best board game there is. Period. Even Board Game Geek agrees.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Ugh, Every time I come to PAX I vow to spend the weekend playing Video Games, and yet every time I end up spending all of my time in the table top area. Last year I spent less time playing video games then I would on an average weekend. There is something seriously warped about that.

And now you are running a Settlers of Catan and a Puerto Rico tournament. ARGH! do you just not want me to play video games, is that it. I think for my own sanity PAX needs to last for a whole week, and have the first half dedicated to tabletop and the last half dedicated to video games.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Ugh, Every time I come to PAX I vow to spend the weekend playing Video Games, and yet every time I end up spending all of my time in the table top area. Last year I spent less time playing video games then I would on an average weekend. There is something seriously warped about that.

And now you are running a Settlers of Catan and a Puerto Rico tournament. ARGH! do you just not want me to play video games, is that it. I think for my own sanity PAX needs to last for a whole week, and have the first half dedicated to tabletop and the last half dedicated to video games.

I concur. But really, you don't have to play in the PR and Catan tournaments if you don't want. The less experienced people in each round the better :)

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    TheProphetElijahTheProphetElijah Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    But I do want, thats the problem.

TheProphetElijah on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    To answer all the questions, PAX tabletop will be running the same hours as regular PAX. All of the tournaments here are official PAX tournaments, so the prizes will be in PAX points cards. Also important to note, the are TWO Catan tournaments :)

And if you have a copy of any of the games listed for a tournament that you are willing to share during the tournaments, please bring it. I'd love to have a huge group of players in each tournament, but we are limited by space and copies of the game. The more copies we have the better, we can usually find space for the players :)

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    PucSpifo wrote: »
    To answer all the questions, PAX tabletop will be running the same hours as regular PAX. All of the tournaments here are official PAX tournaments, so the prizes will be in PAX points cards. Also important to note, the are TWO Catan tournaments :)

And if you have a copy of any of the games listed for a tournament that you are willing to share during the tournaments, please bring it. I'd love to have a huge group of players in each tournament, but we are limited by space and copies of the game. The more copies we have the better, we can usually find space for the players :)

Noted. Does the edition of Catan matter? I would think not, but I've only played/own 4th edition.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No the particular edition doesn't matter, as we will use the latest rules available online for the games.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    No the particular edition doesn't matter, as we will use the latest rules available online for the games.

Standard with none of the expansions I assume. Cause I only have the base game.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Look at the schedule.

Actually we are a Tikal/Shogun/Puerto Rico kind of show, as well as a Munchkin/Chez Geek/Lunch Money kind of show. We're a show of the people, by the people and for the people. We try to provide something for everyone.

As a super secret (don't tell anyone) I have added Puerto Rico and Zombies!!! to the schedule ;)

Oh ho ho! My challenge has been responded to! The gauntlet thrown...

So how are you going to deal with seating order for Puerto Rico?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    BelisiusBelisius Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I so do wish to play in some of these tourneys, it makes planning stuff all that much harder. I do have one question though, I'm assuming it's just Settlers and not any of the expansions that add additional rules onto the game really, but will it be simply the standard 4-player board game, or will it be using the 5-6 player extra expansion to seat more at each board?

Belisius on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For Settler it will be just the base set, and only 4 per board unless we have enough 5-6 player expansions to cover every board.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    VorshVorsh Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I have a bunch of Steve Jackson Games I was thinking of bringing if anyone want to play them. I have Hackers and Hackers II, I have Carwars board game and carwars card game. So if you would like to play any of these games PM.

Vorsh on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For Settler it will be just the base set, and only 4 per board unless we have enough 5-6 player expansions to cover every board.

I'd rather not play with the 5-6 player expansion. I assume it is the same ruleset, but having never played it I'm sure it could make the pacing and stuff a lot different. Core game is best.

TrainwreckX on
  • Options
    edited August 2008

I'd rather not play with the 5-6 player expansion. I assume it is the same ruleset, but having never played it I'm sure it could make the pacing and stuff a lot different. Core game is best.

5-6 player exacerbates slowness amongst slow players.

I would recommend avoiding this.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    the doughthe dough Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Did I miss something....no Magic?

the dough on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Again, we'll only play 5-6 per board if we have enough expansions for every board (which we almost certainly won't but we'll see). Also, I expect we'll have enough copies of the game so that we can run a full tourney with just 4/board and the 5-6 expansion will be unnecessary.

the dough: Magic is going to be hosted and run by Wizards, and we have no control over their planning and schedule. I will try to get their schedule and post it here, but I doubt that will happen until after GenCon.

PucSpifo on
    signature.png
  • Options
    ZyzzyvasZyzzyvas Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is that Battlestar Galactica as in the new unreleased game from Fantasy Flight? Oh man I hope they have that for sale at their booth....

Zyzzyvas on
  • Options
    MisteriosoMisterioso Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    do you have to win a tourney to get a prize?

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »
    do you have to win a tourney to get a prize?

PAX Tourney prizes are typically reserved for tourney winners :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    i've seen the prize tables but i've never been in a pax tourney so the prize system is foreign to me. its all or nothing then?

Misterioso on
    Listen. And understand. That Misterioso is out there. He can't be bargained with. He can't be reasoned with. He doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead..drunk.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Misterioso wrote: »
    i've seen the prize tables but i've never been in a pax tourney so the prize system is foreign to me. its all or nothing then?

The prize redemption table is reserved for those who win PAX Prize points by wining tournaments. They can then exchange those points for stuff at the prize redemption desk.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    so to get pax prize points you must win the tourney. 2nd, 3rd, etc gets you nothing but the satisfaction of secretly wiping your ass with your hand before right before shaking hands with the tourney winner?

Misterioso on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    depends on the tournament, but usually 2nd/3rd get a reduced # of tickets as well.

tr0tsky on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    depends on the tournament, but usually 2nd/3rd get a reduced # of tickets as well.

see, now that is info that could potentially keep my hand out of my pants.

maybe.

Misterioso on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    For Console game tournaments, they said they are giving 3rd and 4th the same amount of tickets, since technically they are tied for 3rd in single elimination. I hope they try and do the same in tabletop.

TrainwreckX on
This discussion has been closed.