As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Quest for Glory 2 VGA release imminent

oxygen1234oxygen1234 Registered User new member
edited September 2008 in Games and Technology
Anyone into adventure games? I used to play them when I was younger, when they were a fairly popular genre. Quest for Glory was one of my favourite series.

The group of developers at AGDInteractive have previously redone King's Quest I and II in VGA (originally they were in 16 color EGA) and will soon be releasing their remake of Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire.

You can go to their website to look at the countdown, teasers and forums they have there. This is being released for free by the way, like their other games. I am quite excited about this.

Anyone else play all the old Sierra / Lucasarts games back in the day?

On another note, I haven't been able to try out the new PA game yet as I haven't been able to get it to work on my PC D:

oxygen1234 on

• skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    The original VGA remake of QfG1 was a glorious, glorious game. I hope they do QfG2 justice because, as a kid, it was always difficult to jump back to those EGA editions that were littered throughout the Sierra series.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Yes, the old adventure games are a very dearly loved genre of games on the forums.

I never have been a fan of Middle Eastern themed games though for some reason. Might be something to do with my hatred of the heat and sand. Which was the horror themed QFG? Four wasn't it? I loved that one and the first.

Is "So You Want To Be A Hero" playable on Windows Vista nowadays?

Esh on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I hope they have the easter egg where you can see the princess's boobies.

Sir Carcass on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    So soon? After... what... only 5 years in the making?

Aroduc on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Esh wrote: »
    Yes, the old adventure games are a very dearly loved genre of games on the forums.

I never have been a fan of Middle Eastern themed games though for some reason. Might be something to do with my hatred of the heat and sand. Which was the horror themed QFG? Four wasn't it? I loved that one and the first.

Yeah, four was my favorite of the series (Although I never played five), and four was the one with the vampires in a Transylvania-like place. Three was in the jungles. I remember having a memory editor back in the day and would hack the memory address of the remaining skill points at character creation in order to start with max stats and access to every skill. Then I would develop each skill so everything was 100 by the time I finished the game and moved on to Trial by Fire.

Nova_C on
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It would be so, so, so wonderful if they re-did the QFG games in the style of 3/4, left 5 the way it was and ported 'em to Wii/360/PS3, all on one disc a'la Orange Box value pack.

That shit would sell. I was (am) a huge fan of Quest for Glory and Space Quest, sunk way-too-much time into those games back in the day, yadda yadda yadda. Goddamnit, Sierra. I'll miss you so much. By the way, thanks for that Hulk game, it was frickin' awesome.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    It wouldn't sell. Heck, they didn't even re-release it for DOSbox like they did pretty much all the other *Quest games, and now sierra is even more dead

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • CheesechickCheesechick Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Holy shit I'm pretty sure this means hell is freezing over. I've been waiting for them to release this for like... years.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Man, now all I need is the Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth released and I'm set!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've played through the VGA remake of QFG: So You Want To Be A Hero more times than any other game. I'm in love with the series, although the direction it went after 2 was somewhat disappointing.

I've been periodically checking on the VGA remake of II for years now. Good to hear they're almost ready to release. I can't wait.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • MarsMars Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I remember when they happily announced this was halfway done...what, four years ago? Couldn't have been much later, I stopped following it in high school.

I doubt I'll bother to get it, to be honest, free or no. I like the old version. It speaks to the vision of the QfG team that they could make so much out of 16 colors and various tones of beeps.

Mars on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

All the games are playable on Dosbox. Except for 5, but that runs on Vista without any tweaking.

JohnDoe on
    edited August 2008
    JohnDoe wrote: »

All the games are playable on Dosbox. Except for 5, but that runs on Vista without any tweaking.

Yup, I replayed the whole series a couple years back on DOSBox and it ran fine... QfG4 took some SERIOUS tweaking to get the voices working for me, though.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Is this where I type "all my dicks" etc?

Because, really... all my dicks. I love the QFG series... I may have to restart.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Whatever happened to the company that was making a quest for glory 6? Without Sierra's permission of course.

DeShadowC on
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Quest for Glory is my favorite series ever.

Ever.

God, I loved 4 so much.

The Sneak! on
    edited August 2008
    It really is a shame that there is so much love for the series and genre in general, yet it really doesn't have a spiritual successor that we could compare it to, today.

The lightheartedness and humour of the QFG series is what makes it great. Very few games have made me laugh as much as QFG. In short, video games today need more adventure and comedy.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I would love to cross Quest For Glory's world and characters with something along the lines of Diablo's play mechanics. Adventure and puzzles crossed with action RPG combat.

devoir on
  • MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the company that was making a quest for glory 6? Without Sierra's permission of course.
    Long story, short, the majority of the people doing the code work left. It's what happens to most fan projects that take years.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Its really sad how popular this series was, yet it was like "pulling teeth" to get them to make any sequels.

DeShadowC on
  • kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    this series may be the best mixture of adventure, action, storyline, and intellectual challenge yet put in electronic entertainment..

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    skace wrote: »
    The original VGA remake of QfG1 was a glorious, glorious game. I hope they do QfG2 justice

I've been waiting for QFG2+ remakes since the original QFG1 remake.

Slightly off topic, but remember the box for QFG1? Awesome artwork. Very representative of the genre, I think.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/adventure/Sierra_On-Line,_Inc/QfG.html

Ego on
    Erik
    edited August 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    The original VGA remake of QfG1 was a glorious, glorious game. I hope they do QfG2 justice

I've been waiting for QFG2+ remakes since the original QFG1 remake.

Slightly off topic, but remember the box for QFG1? Awesome artwork. Very representative of the genre, I think.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/adventure/Sierra_On-Line,_Inc/QfG.html

Wow. I've never seen the original box art, just the VGA remake box art. I like the VGA box art better, since it alludes to the games humour on the cover.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »

Ever.

God, I loved 4 so much.

You sir, are a man of good taste. Where might I subscribe to your newsletter?
    It really is a shame that there is so much love for the series and genre in general, yet it really doesn't have a spiritual successor that we could compare it to, today.

The lightheartedness and humour of the QFG series is what makes it great. Very few games have made me laugh as much as QFG. In short, video games today need more adventure and comedy.

When the PA game was announced as an adventure-RPG hybrid, I was really expecting/hoping for something more along the lines of QfG than what it ended up being. I still liked the game, but was saddened that the "adventure game" portion of the game was almost nonexistent. I just don't understand why there haven't been more games that blend these two genres.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ever.

God, I loved 4 so much.

When the PA game was announced as an adventure-RPG hybrid, I was really expecting/hoping for something more along the lines of QfG than what it ended up being. I still liked the game, but was saddened that the "adventure game" portion of the game was almost nonexistent. I just don't understand why there haven't been more games that blend these two genres.

Because the adventure genre really kinda died..?

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited August 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Ever.

God, I loved 4 so much.

But I mean even when adventure games were big there was nothing else quite like this series.

Not that I want a ton of shitty QfG clones or anything, but the fusion of adventure games with RPGs is just so delicious I wish more talented people had taken a crack at it.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008

No genre is truly dead as long as we have Eastern Europe.

Sir Carcass on
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

The best thing about the QFG series were their awesome thieves guilds. Figuring out how to get into them, passing along the sign, looting houses and hauling it back. Oh so perfect.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008

The best thing about the QFG series were their awesome thieves guilds. Figuring out how to get into them, passing along the sign, looting houses and hauling it back. Oh so perfect.

Man what? It is so all about the magic user (and later, Paladin.) :wink:

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Remember the hermit cave in QFG? Man, that cave made me want to be a hermit.
    I'M SO LONELY

Ego on
    Erik
    edited August 2008
    Ego wrote: »
    Remember the hermit cave in QFG? Man, that cave made me want to be a hermit
    'Enry the 'ermit. Nothing like a good game 'o cribbage and a ration.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited August 2008

No genre is truly dead as long as we have Eastern Europe.

Yeah, I don't know that the genre died so much as became really niche. And with things like TellTale and Phoenix Wright, they've been making a bit of a comeback lately (at least, they're bigger than they have been since... oh, 1998.)

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll believe it when I play it. But then my dick will explode, so it will be awesome.

No luck on the website, and haven't seen it mentioned here, but any word on whether it will use the same save game system? As in, will you be able to import from QfG1 and export to QfG3? Because this will most definitely become reason enough for another playthrough if so.

mcdermott on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited August 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I play it. But then my dick will explode, so it will be awesome.

No luck on the website, and haven't seen it mentioned here, but any word on whether it will use the same save game system? As in, will you be able to import from QfG1 and export to QfG3? Because this will most definitely become reason enough for another playthrough if so.

Can you think of any reason they wouldn't? They aren't even encrypted IIRC.

Aroduc on
    edited August 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

I can't think of any reason, except that a bunch of independent developers might think they can somehow "improve" on it and break compatibility (because it's something geeks like to do).

Though until I hear otherwise I guess I'll assume that it will work. Hopefully I'll be able to find out first-hand soon!

mcdermott on
    edited August 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »

I'm fairly certain I remember reading a long time ago that both importing and exporting saves would be possible, but that was a long long time ago.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2008
    Mordrack wrote: »

It was confirmed on the project forums.
    http://www.agdiforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=198375#p198375

Awesome.

So now I want to play this. Badly.

mcdermott on
    edited August 2008
    I was gonna find a better post, but, it doesn't matter. I also remember Erpy saying that it would work the same.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • SupersplinesSupersplines Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    WHAO!!!

Where can I get the copies of their King's Quest remakes?!?! I LOVED these games, me and a mate had a nostalgia weekend recently where we re-finished a few of our favorites!!!

LOVED the QFG series!!

Supersplines on
    Bonne Wii Monsieur Playstation, bonne wii...
    edited August 2008
    WHAO!!!

Where can I get the copies of their King's Quest remakes?!?! I LOVED these games, me and a mate had a nostalgia weekend recently where we re-finished a few of our favorites!!!

LOVED the QFG series!!

They re-released a collection featuring KQ1-7 not too long ago (running on DOSBox) I'd say check Amazon.

Cheesechick on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]