As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Intermittently Losing Power?

Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her|Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
edited September 2008 in Moe's Stupid Technology Tavern
Suddenly started last night, was watching a movie when all of a sudden - THWONK! PC turns itself off.

Ever since then it won't stay on for more than 10 minutes, so I'm writing this really quickly, have changed the power lead to see if it's the plug's fuse.

My PSU is a Corsair 550w, it's only three months old...?

Zilla360 on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    What's the rest of your system?

Sounds like you have a short-circuit somewhere. Check your motherboard standoffs and other bits.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Damnit, just did it again, 15 minutes is my record so far. Motherboard standoff's seem fine.

It's definitely not OS related, it even happens during a Memtest86+ run, and sitting idle in the BIOS HW monitor. Voltages look normal. :|

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Damnit, just did it again, 15 minutes is my record so far. Motherboard standoff's seem fine.

It's definitely not OS related, it even happens during a Memtest86+ run, and sitting idle in the BIOS HW monitor. Voltages look normal. :|

That's bad news. Can you swap anything out to play Isolate-The-Failed-Part?

Check for short-circuits - frayed wires, something caught on an edge of the case, motherboard standoffs, etc.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'm definitely thinking failing PSU. It'll only power back on after isolating it at the back for a couple of minutes...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ...and discharging all the capacitance(?)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    ...blue led on the front ACPI power button.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    This is so annoying. It seems completely random and not OS dependent. :(
    I'm going to try a new surge protector.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Did you check for short circuits yet? Yes or no.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yes. Used my snakelight + magnifying glass.

This build has been running fine for three months now, nothing's changed internally H/W-wise. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Yes. Used my snakelight + magnifying glass.

This build has been running fine for three months now, nothing's changed internally H/W-wise. :)

All the fans are running? No dust buildup?

It's either PSU failing specifically, or a thermal failure which the "dead, and doesn't come back on for a few minutes" makes me hint at.

PeregrineFalcon on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    does it last longer if you leave it off for a while?

also monitor your temperatures to see how hot everything gets.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'd put my money on overheating or a bad PSU.

What are your temps?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    All my temps look fine, I'm monitoring using HW monitor.
    I had it on for four hours, up until just 10 mins ago I was in the middle of a TF2 game, and it did it again D:.

It seems completely random, like a Ghost in the machine... :/

I've ordered a new PSU in any case:
    Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC:

* Supports the latest ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 standards and is backwards compatible with ATX12V 2.01 systems.
    * Guaranteed compatibility with dual-GPU configurations.
    * Double forward switching circuitry design offers high efficiency, up to 80% under wide load range.
    * Active Power Factor Correction with PF value=0.99 provides clean and reliable power to your system.
    * Universal AC input 90~264V automatically scans and detects the correct voltage. No more hassle of flipping that tiny red switch!
    * Ultra quiet 120mm double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow at an exceptionally low noise level by varying the RPM in response to temperature.
    * Guaranteed to deliver rated specifications at 50ºC.
    * Triple 12V Rails provide independent reliable power to the CPU, video card and other components with a combined rating of 50A (40A on 520W) maximum! Advanced circuitry design that automatically enables power sharing between the triple +12V rails in an event of overload on any single +12V rail.
    * Powerful +5Vsb rail with 3A rating.
    * Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety for your critical system components.
    * 105ºC rated industrial grade capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability, delivering 4 times the lifespan of conventional 85ºC rated capacitors.
    * Enhanced modular flexible cables enable easier cable routing and increased airflow in the system.
    * Gold Plated connectors provide oxide free ultra low-resistance contact between the power supply and your critical components.
    * 8 Serial ATA connectors (4 on 520W).
    * Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 5.9"(L)
    150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 150mm(L)
    * MTBF: 100,000 Hours
    * Safety Approvals: UL, CUL, CE, CB, FCC Class B, TÜV, CCC, C-tick.
    Although it means no Spore for me ($$) in September. :(

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    UPDATE: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO FUCK YES FINALLY I FIXED THIS. :D:D:D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I'm assuming the new PSU did it?

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Yup. Turns out it was the PCI-E (8-pin) power rail that had failed. :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    99% of the time these things are the PSU it seems

nexuscrawler on