As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Next Wangshire Sign Up - Death Note Edition

LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
Wangshire: A Game on PA forums based on the Mafia Party game. These have enjoyed two incarnations so far and are proving to be quite popular in the community.

The First Round
The Second Round

Death Note:
Wiki wrote:
Light Yagami is a brilliant, but bored, high school student who resents the crime and corruption in the world. His life undergoes a drastic change when he discovers a mysterious notebook, known as the "Death Note", lying on the ground in the year 2003. The Death Note's instructions claim that, if a human's name is written within it, that person shall die. Light is initially skeptical of the Death Note's genuinity, believing it is just a prank. However, after experimenting with it and killing two criminals, Light is forced to admit the Death Note is real. After meeting with the true owner of the Death Note, a shinigami named Ryuk, Light seeks to become the "God of new world" by passing his judgment on criminals.

Soon, the number of inexplicable deaths of reported criminals catches the attention of the International Police Organization and a mysterious detective known only as "L". L quickly learns that the serial killer, dubbed by the public as "Kira", is located in Japan. L also concludes that Kira can kill a person just by knowing their face and name. Light realizes that L will be his greatest nemesis, and a race to prove mental superiority between the two begins.

Well, I originally planned this for play after the mafia themed Wangshire, but I figured since Kriz and I finished drawing up the rules soner than I had expected, and the chaos that has gone down regarding the operation of the current game, this was a good time to provide everyone with a new incarnation of our Wangshire Mafia-based games.

logogs4.gif

here is the setup:

Roles:
-DM/GM (whichever term you prefer)
-Kira
-2 Investigators (default amount)
-L
-Civilians (1 direct Kira supporter [default amount] and Investigator supporters)

Backstory:
All over the world, infamous criminals are dying mysterious deaths. Because of this, Interpol has begun an investigation into the person they believe is behind these strange events, known to the world only as “Kira.” Tracking Kira down to one city, the hunt begins as the two forces hunt each other for the sake of their own ideas of Justice.

Kira: the possessor of the DEATH NOTE: by writing the name of a person in the DEATH NOTE, they can kill that person.
For the sake of causing the game to run smoothly, Kira will always have the death occur at the end of a day/round (as there is no way the DM could possibly be on tabs all the time to set the death into effect immediate if this was the case). Also, they can have their victim leave cryptic messages. However, they cannot control the victim’s voting.

There will be a special, challenging surprise that occurs partway through the game

-The Eyes: A mysterious gift Kira may obtain, but at a price…

Broadcasts: Kira is able to make one broadcast per day to the players. These will be relayed to the players through the DMs (that is, Kira sends the DM their message, and DMs will post it). The broadcasts are not required to be done each day, and are Pure RP.

Win Condition: Kill off all Authorities investigating the Kira case by using the Death Note, as well as those civilians who stand against Kira’s vision of the new world, either making those opposing Kira’s side equal or less than their numbers

Authorities
L: Each day, L can think on a player, and through “deduction” (i.e., DM tells them, like in traditional Seer roles) tell if they are Kira or not
Being Anonymous, Kira cannot kill him without knowing his real name. How may Kira learn the true name of L

-Broadcasts: L will also be able to make “public broadcasts” to the players (a maximum of one per day), which will be relayed to the group through the DMs (L will send the DMs the message and the DMs will post it). L’s Broadcasts, like Kira’s do not have to be done each day, and are to be RP.

Investigators: 2 individuals led and commanded by L as such, they follow his voting in support of him. They are also capable of investigating on the side. If they find a Kira supporter, they can try to pressure them on Kira’s identity. Their identities as investigators are unknown to those outside the investigation team unless they choose to reveal themselves.

Win condition: Capture Kira team members

Civilians
Kira side: 1 civilian will support Kira and their efforts. Knows only one Kira, and spreads lies and disinformation about Kira.
Investigator side: can ask questions about Kira. Is, well, everyone who is not on the Kira side. They are normal civilians who do not support the ideals of Kira.

Arrest
Arrests will be carried out by the DMs as the police force, and the arrestees will be decided by players votes

RP in this game is heavily encouraged, though considering many of those who participated in past Wangshire sessions, I don’t see that as being a problem.

Additionally, for avatars, to fit with the theme I’d recommend ones based from comics and manga set in (more or less) real settings, especially crime thrillers and the like. However, I'd advise not using prominent Death Note characters as avatars, as such things may result in being targetted for Death by Kira or Arrest

If you want to join, just post your Screenname (acting as your gamename for simplicity's sake), and avatar you'd like to use, that way we can keep everyone straight

Example:

Name:Lanz
Avatar:[placeholder until I decide]

Joining me as DM will be Kriz as well, so you folks will have two people running this :P

also, before the game begins, in the sake of keeping the games running smoothly, we'll take a vote at the end of the week as to whether to begin playing during or after Wangshire Round 2.

DM/GM: Lanz and Kriz
Players:
-Branduil yotsubaaven3.png
-B:L masaruhananakajimasd5.jpg
-3rdrocket zoroshire.jpg
-The Warlock
-jdarksun guts_64_01.jpg
-Clawshrimpy Honey-kun_avatar.jpg
-Nalouto narutoicon59.gif
-FarseerBaradas allenw21.jpg
-thorpe
-Krosius tmpphpf4yr2fcg2.gif
-Silent Zero
-gunwarrior Av_MakubeX_06.gif
-NinjaGnat wenjick8.jpg
-Cantide keiichiresizedeu3.jpg
-Lightreaper FRANKY.png
-Rook 26410.gif
-Naporeon avatarey2.jpg
-Redhalo ako.gif
-Dex Dynamo kurgan.png
-Rapacious gantze9.jpg
-Harlingtox AD 16tl5.jpg
-magic mudpuddle as magic mud naota1.jpg
-rayofash as Michiko blood.jpg

waNkm4k.jpg?1
Lanz on

• KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Since managing these games can get confusing and be a lot of work for just one person (and because I helped write the Death Note themed rules), I will be assisting Lanz as a GM.

I hope to see a lot of players, a lot of role playing, and a lot of fun!

Kriz on
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I want in.

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I take it then that this is a good time for me to start FURIOUSLY reading the manga. 8)

I'm in, but I'll edit this post with the avatar later, after I find a suitable one :D

Edit:

Name: B:L
    Avatar:masaruhananakajimasd5.jpg

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In. (Avatar Pending)

thegloaming on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So in.

So in.

(Avatar also pending.)

Furu on
  • 3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    hmm. can I even play jailed?

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm not that much of an anime fan, but this seems like fun. I'm in.

I'll find a decent avatar later.

Daedalus on
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited October 2006
    I guess I'll be in on this.

When are you planning to start?

Menace on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    3rdrocket wrote:
    hmm. can I even play jailed?

yep
    Menace wrote:
    I guess I'll be in on this.

When are you planning to start?

not 100% certain. like I said in the OP, we'll take a vote at the end of the week whether to run this alongside the current Wangshire round, or if we'd want to hold off on official play until that one ends.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i'm in.

<3 on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'd like to play: Avatar Forthcoming.

If someone wouldent mind croppin out an avatar for me, I've got a pic. Because I don't particually think I'll play Renton for this, Mecha really woulden't fit anyway.

Clawshrimpy on
  • <3<3 Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So I'm assuming anime-type avatar is a must for this one?

edit: i think im going to use this one
    skeet.jpg

<3 on
  • ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    My name is Clawshrimpy.

Honey-kun_avatar.jpg
    Honey-kun, Exdee! Is my Avatar.

Clawshrimpy on
    edited October 2006
    think I'm up to date with the roster so far :D

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited October 2006
    I have chosen:

ct-frog1.jpg

I'd rather start it halfway through the other one, if possible. I assume it will be busy at first and then after 5 days or so, start slowing down.

But whatever works for everyone.

Menace on
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2006
    Menace wrote:
    I have chosen:

ct-frog1.jpg

I'd rather start it halfway through the other one, if possible. I assume it will be busy at first and then after 5 days or so, start slowing down.

Your inboxes will never be able to stand up to the punishment. Plus keeping two games straight at the same time would be tough.

Dynagrip on
    edited October 2006
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Menace wrote:
    I have chosen:

ct-frog1.jpg

Your inboxes will never be able to stand up to the punishment. Plus keeping two games straight at the same time would be tough.

hence why I'll let the decision to run during or after the current round up to the players. Thinking about it, I figure that it'd be better to leave the vote to a few days after the players have all signed up

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: Nalouto

(I had to)

Nalouto on
    :winky:
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: FarseerBaradas

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In. Just need to find an avatar.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im in!'

Edit: Gotta find a good AV for this

tmpphpf4yr2fcg2.gif

This shall do.

alternatingAberration on
    xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • PuckerPucker Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well guess I might as well join in.

Just like almost everyone else I'll post my avatar later.

Pucker on
    edited October 2006
    :D making a commercial to advertise the game in G&T's saturday podcast

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Silent ZeroSilent Zero Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    im in...

And a second one done already... shit.

Silent Zero on
    Yes I work for Netflix. No, I can't give you any free movies dammit.
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    i didnt like the mafia theme last time but im in this round

name is gunwarrior

changed my mind
    avatar is now : Av_MakubeX_06.gif

gunwarrior on
    edited October 2006
    im in...

And a second one done already... shit.

it's not quite done yet. just in a frightening state of limbo. there's still a chance, if the group wants, that we can let this one start when that one finishes or is near that point

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MenaceMenace regular
    edited October 2006
    The second one hasn't even started yet. Aroduc was tempbanned for 3 days, so he couldn't get us going.

Menace on
  • NinjaGnatNinjaGnat Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Well, at least this game lets me get some use from my pre-mafia avatar. Now for the impending confusion as multiple games happen at once.

My name is NinjaGnat

NinjaGnat on
    edited October 2006
    working with the spreadsheet, got the hang of that pretty much now.

I'll wait until monday or so to close down registration, I want to get as many players for this as possible :P

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • thegloamingthegloaming Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:

Are you gonna use lots of nerdy RP voices? Because if then, I totally want to help you make this commercial.

thegloaming on
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:

Are you gonna use lots of nerdy RP voices? Because if then, I totally want to help you make this commercial.

hmm, what do you mean by "nerdy RP voices"? :P I was gonna play it pretty straight, talk about the previous rounds, start into this one and have a little music in the background during it.

EDIT: okay, audacity's screwing up. uninstalling it and getting the new version, hopefully this will work
    EDIT2: well, Audacity's working I suppose, but my headset's earpiece seems to have almost had it or my laptop has gone insane in regards to the volume it produces.

Eitherway, I've made a demo of the commercial and will tweak it a bit more before submission for the podcast because 1) my talk needs to be just a bit longer to cover the music 2) I need to get a finalized date down for closing registration that's fair to those who are just hearing about this in the podcast. I'm thinking Tuesday or Wednesday for that now and 3) I'm tired, so my enthusiasm doesn't come across

sleep now :zzz:

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited October 2006
    :o commercial finished!

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    sweet! u got a link?

gunwarrior on
    edited October 2006
    gunwarrior wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    sweet! u got a link?

not yet, right now waiting for Fyrewulff to return so I can send it to him so he can put it in the G&T podcast saturday, I'll make a yousend it though

EDIT: http://www.yousendit.com/download/mpbmJVIhBIc%3D

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • BranduilBranduil Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: Branduil

Branduil on
    mcc for admin

I blame Whippy
  • CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Picking an avatar for this was harder than I expected.

Name: Cantide

Cantide on
    edited October 2006
    all people so far are added to the list, as well as the avatars of those who gave one :P

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I chose an avatar.

allenw21.jpg

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
  • LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: LightReaper (Franky)

I reject your reality and instead substitute my own.

SUPAAAAAAAAAAAAAA~

LightReaper on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Question: Does it matter that I have no clue what I'm doing?
    Clarification: I can read the Manga or whatever, but I've never played a 'Mafia' game before.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg