As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mafia gaming - Pokemon style!

LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
POKEMON - Pokéshire version!

The story begins in the humble town of Pokéshire, a small town hidden away in the wilds of Kanto, unknown and un-noticed to kanto's human denizens. This utopia of Pokémon welcomes wild creatures far and wide, giving them a safe haven from trainers and poachers. It is a peaceful town and has seen no false conflict other than the yearly pokefestival, where pokemon can test there mettle in a variety of challenges.

But this pokéfestival went horribly wrong, it's gentle leader, Mew was found dead in his abode - a gash running across his side and the wall smeared with his blood into the letter, "R".

Team Rocket had struck! Well more specifically, Team Rocket's forward scout pokémon had discovered the small abode and wished to bring down the infastructure from the inside, causing chaos in the town to send the pokémon fleeing in all directions, right into the trap set by their human trainers. They found the town and infiltrated their ranks, acting as kind denizens and unsuspecting strangers who had become such a great part of their society that they were held with the same respect as some of the elders.

With Pokéshire's leader struck dead, it has fallen to it's denizens to find the evil spy Pokémon among their ranks and put a stop to them - through any means necessary. A council was taken amongst some of the pokémon of the village, the fully evolved and the wisened. It is a hastily assembled council, and between them they must decide who must live, and who must die to put a stop to the madness.

Roles:

Team Rocket Pokémon:
Out to spread destruction to send the mass populous fleeing into their masters waiting pokéballs, they are the devious evil side in this game.

Team Rocket Convert:
A Pokémon who discovers the killing of Mew and the perpetrator (one of the rocketeers), he/she through some reason decides to keep this information secret and cause chaos, in hopes of becoming one of Giovanni's prized and spoiled Pokémon, free to live out his/her days in relative comfort. He knows the identity of one of the Rocketeer's -THE ROCKETEER'S DON'T KNOW WHO THE CONVERT IS-. He/she can make him/herself known to the rocketeers, but any villager can do this in an attempt to infiltrate the evil ones' ranks.

Inheritor of Mew's pendant:
On the day of the festival, Mew suspected something ill was afoot and trusted his prized pendant to one of the villagers, endowing that Pokémon with subtle supernatural abilities. This Pokémon is torn between tapping into the pendant's power to peer into the cosmose and decipher whether a Pokémon is good or evil, or use that power to kill someone of his/her choosing.

Friend of Blissey:
This Pokémon is quite well respected in the village, and can enlist the aid of the village's doctor - Blissey and her team of Chanseys, to be on standby to protect a Pokémon from being killed through the medium of healing, he/she does this in secret in order to protect his/her identity from the killers.

The mechanics are such (and largely stolen from Aroduc - thanks go to him for the template):

The first night, the team rocket pokemon chooses two other players to be the fellow Team Rocketeers. Then from the second night onwards, the three pokemon choose together whom to kill each night (the person they choose dies, and is branded with an 'R' across their chest).

Every night the inheritor of Mew's pendant can pick one of the following each night:
a) Picks one pokémon to use the pendant on - They are then told whether the Pokémon is a normal villager or not. There is no way to prove that you are definatively the holder of the pendant, but you can make your knowledge known to the village if you wish.
b) Tap into the pendants power - The Pokémon can alternatively tap into the supernatural to kill one of the villagers of his/her choosing. He/she can use this on someone he/she suspects (or merely cause chaos if your into that kind of drama).

Every night the friend of Blissey can choose to enlist the aid of the medic Pokémon to watch over the house of a Pokémon of his or her choosing, they hold the egg of life which canbe used to revive the victim if used in time. Only one Pokémon can be watched over per night and once the egg is used it runs out and no further protective action be done by the friend of Blissey. This vial can be used to protect from both a killing by the villagers or by the Rocketeers. If the death is caused by the villagers, they witness Blissey's healing arts to revive the Pokémon. If the death is by the Rocketeers then they witness the revival and kill another random bystander out of spite (randomly generated by myself).

Divinations and infections, as well as kill decision are communicated via PM with the moderator.

At dawn, the village will awake to find that one villager has been murdered by the Rocketeers. You are all told who this is.

The Village then votes on a player to kill. This may be anyone - pendant holder, rocketeer, innocent villager - indeed, the game hinges on the players not being certain who is who. Voting works via absolute majority. The village must stake one player each day. If voting is deadlocked in some way, players are encouraged to break the deadlock somehow. The village will then be told if this person is a villager or a rocketeer (a red light will engulf the Pokémon as the corpse is returned to it's pokéball far far away). The pendant holder's death is reported as a villager.

The Villagers and Pendant holder win if they kill the Rocketeers.

The Rocketeers win if they kill enough of the council - players (through direct murder and misdirecting the lynch mob) to reduce their numbers to equal with the Rocketeers.

Additional notes:

If you are playing, you may post any discussion in the thread. There are no restrictions on speech for the living - anyone and everyone may freely claim to be the pendant holder, the friend of Blissey, a Villager, or even a Rocketeer (if you want), make predictions, threats, accusations, tell blatant lies, subtle lies, half-truths, misleading truths and even unvarnished honest truths.

You may also communicate over PM, backtalking and such are encouraged!

Votes are down by liming the name of the person you wish to vote to kill. If you wish to change your vote, don't edit the existing post, make a new one salmoning the previous choice and liming the new choice. The final choice is counted.

When you are voting, you can only vote one person, no multiple posts over various pages, I will find and kill you. You may also not vote for yourself, nor can you make contingency votes.

Once you are dead, you become a Ghost pokémon (gastly, actually) with no memory of your previous life, you may not take any further part in the game and are asked not to reveal any information you may have divined.

This is not a chat thread! Banter is encouraged but nothing offtopic, people who aren't participating may make comments from the sidelines, but nothing serious please.

Roleplaying is heavily advised! You are Pokémon, act like it!

There are 27 places in all, so signup now, signups will close this thursday 6pm EST and the game will begin on the first night. Subsequent nights and killings will begin every day from then on, 6pm EST. Only sign up if you know you will be available. Please also pick an appropriate Pokémon to become, your avatar when posting will be that Pokémon.

<name> is my name
<pokemon> is my pokemon
<avatar> is my avatar

E.g.

LightReaper is my name
Scyther is my pokémon
scyther.png is my avatar

Please use Pokémon avatars, you'll find tonnes in the Serebii pokedex at www.serebii.net.

And a note to Aroduc and Lanz/Kriz - sorry to make this while you are both running equivalent games, but I finalised everything far sooner than I expected to :) .

Current people:

3rdrocket, Wobbuffet, wangbuffet-1.jpg
blankspace247, Tyranittar, 248-m.png
Neofly, Meowth, cuteMeowth.gif
Furu, Lucario, dpmfb448.png
SeafoodSoup, Charmeleon, dpmfa005.png
SirToons, Vaporeon, vaporeon.png
SirToasty, Magneton, dpmfa082.png
FarseerBaradas, Darkrai, 491.png
Project37, Dusclops, 148.gif
DarkPrimus, Machamp, 068.png
Diablo Fett, Grovyle, 253.png
FierceDiety666, Snorlax, 143.png
Scrumtrulescent, Houndoom, emespr229.png
Shanba, Dragonair, Dragonair1.png
Thorgot, Mr. Mime, image092.gif
<3, Lapras, 131-m.png
Eliot Dubois, Hitmontop, anime237-1.jpg
Zephos, Whiscash, pkrs128.gif
Jdarksun, Entei, dpmfa244.png
Shamus, Slowbro, dpmfa080.png

LightReaper on

• 3rdrocket3rdrocket Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Im 3rdrocket
    Wobbuffet is my pokemon
    this is my avatarwangbuffet-1.jpg

3rdrocket on
    civilwarTR.jpg
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2006
    I am so in:
    Tyrannitar motherfuckers.
    248-m.png
    Will be my avatar after I get unjailed.

Also: 12:00 on the dot. Awesome.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    In!

093_Haunter_shiny.png

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    dpmfa007.png

Squirtle Squirtle.
    This vial can be used to protect from both a killing by the villagers or by the Rocketeers. If the death is caused by the villagers, they witness Blissey's healing arts to revive the Pokémon. If the death is by the Rocketeers then they witness the revival and kill another random bystander out of spite (randomly generated by myself).
    Couldn't Blissey just revive the one being voted out forever?

edit: That doesn't really help the villagers though.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • NeoflyNeofly Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uh, can I use an avatar with a pokemon AND my "TheFly" image?

Neofly on
  • LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Chen wrote:
    dpmfa007.png

Squirtle Squirtle.
    This vial can be used to protect from both a killing by the villagers or by the Rocketeers. If the death is caused by the villagers, they witness Blissey's healing arts to revive the Pokémon. If the death is by the Rocketeers then they witness the revival and kill another random bystander out of spite (randomly generated by myself).
    Couldn't Blissey just revive the one being voted out forever?

edit: That doesn't really help the villagers though.

It is written further up in the roles part that the Blissey carries the egg of life, which is used up after one use. So you can only revive once.

LightReaper on
    edited October 2006
    Chen, you don't quite understand, if the player wishes to protect someone, they must PM who they want to protect to me before the voting is over, they can't decide after the person dies. And if they wanted to protect the person who looks like the one who is going to be 'staked' by the villagers, well it'd be a waste as the egg is used and they can simply revote for that person next round.

It acts like the 'Angel' did in Wangshire, you may extend your protection over anyone, including yourself, as many times as you want, but once you are killed/killed by vills, the effect is removed.

LightReaper on
    edited October 2006
    So, I choose Meowth.

This will be my avatar.

cuteMeowth.gif

Neofly on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So my name is Furu.
    Lucario is my Pokemon.

And here be my avatar.

dpmfb448.png

Furu on
  • SoupSoup Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: SeafoodSoup
    Pokemon: Charmelon

Also, the "dead" avatar should have the "X" for eyes that fainted pokemon have.

Soup on
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name: SirToons
    Pokemon: Vaporeon

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    edited October 2006
    God, GISisng for Meowth brings up all kind of crazy shit.

Neofly on
    edited October 2006
    Sirtoons, want me to resize that? It's a little big.

LightReaper on
    edited October 2006
    LightReaper, I'm trying different Meowths avatars yet, so don't take mine until I finally decide for one.

Neofly on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Chen, you don't quite understand, if the player wishes to protect someone, they must PM who they want to protect to me before the voting is over, they can't decide after the person dies. And if they wanted to protect the person who looks like the one who is going to be 'staked' by the villagers, well it'd be a waste as the egg is used and they can simply revote for that person next round.

It acts like the 'Angel' did in Wangshire, you may extend your protection over anyone, including yourself, as many times as you want, but once you are killed/killed by vills, the effect is removed.
    Aye, reading comprehension ++

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited October 2006
    Holy shit!

TC_Meowth.jpg

Neofly on
    edited October 2006
    D:

Keep that shit outta my thread D:

LightReaper on
    edited October 2006
    I'm seriously tempted to make that my avatar.

Neofly on
    edited October 2006
    Neofly wrote:

dpmfb448.pngI vote for the hideous freak of nature!

Furu on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ok so I'm SirToasty
    My Pokemon is going to be Magneton. For some reason I don't feel like being Scizor.

SirToasty on
    edited October 2006
    Furu wrote:
    Neofly wrote:

dpmfb448.pngI vote for the hideous freak of nature!

THE PEOPLE HAS SPOKEN

EDIT: HEY!

Neofly on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name is FarseerBaradas
    My pokemon is Darkrai
    My avatar 491.png

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited October 2006
    Ok LightReaper, I have decided on this one:

My name is Neofly.
    My pokemon is Meowth.

This is my avatar:
    cuteMeowth.gif

Neofly on
    edited October 2006
    Name is FarseerBaradas
    My pokemon is Darkrai
    My avatar 491.png

I dunno if a Pokémon that's legendary and gives other Pokémon nightmares would be welcome in the town but hell, it'd make for some awesome RP :^:

LightReaper on
    edited October 2006
    We need someone representing the R/S/E generation up in this piece.

Furu on
    edited October 2006
    (a red light will engulf the Pokémon as the corpse is returned to it's pokéball far far away)

D:

I would be shocked if I opened my pokeball and found a DEAD POKEMON CORPSE in there!

D:

edit: that is also burnt or staked!

Neofly on
  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    My name is Project37
    My pokemah is Dusclops
    My avatar is 148.gif

Projeck on
  • FarseerBaradasFarseerBaradas Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Name is FarseerBaradas
    My pokemon is Darkrai
    My avatar 491.png

I dunno if a Pokémon that's legendary and gives other Pokémon nightmares would be welcome in the town but hell, it'd make for some awesome RP :^:

That's legendary?

Should I change it? I did not realize that, I just thought it looked cool.

FarseerBaradas on
    sigeb2.png
    edited October 2006
    Name is FarseerBaradas
    My pokemon is Darkrai
    My avatar 491.png

That's legendary?

Should I change it? I did not realize that, I just thought it looked cool.

Nah, it is cool.

Neofly on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I would love to play.

DarkPrimus is my name. (Duh.)
    My Pokemon is Machamp!

068.png

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2006
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I would love to play. My Pokemon is Machamp!

068.png

Maybe that other meowth was son of a Machamp and a Mewth.

D:

Neofly on
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Neofly wrote:
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    I would love to play. My Pokemon is Machamp!

068.png

Maybe that other meowth was son of a Machamp and a Mewth.

D:

SirToasty on
  • KrizKriz Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I think it make more sense for the pokemon to simply be captured (and not the "lets be friends ash ketchum" type, I mean the "holy shit team rocket just used an elaborate machine to poach pikachu!" kind of captured)

That would be just as bad as death for a village of independant pokemon.

Kriz on
    edited October 2006
    Kriz wrote:
    I think it make more sense for the pokemon to simply be captured (and not the "lets be friends ash ketchum" type, I mean the "holy shit team rocket just used an elaborate machine to poach pikachu!" kind of captured)

That would be just as bad as death for a village of independant pokemon.

Also, it would make for more creative writing.

AND LESS DEAD POKEMON IN POKEBALLS.

Neofly on
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, murder goes against Team Rocket's goals as well.

Furu on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Have some elaborate note left by Team Rocket detailing how they executed their Rube Goldberg plot to capture the unfortunate Pokemon, "AND WE'RE COMING FOR YOU NEXT~!"

Bonus points for having an actual diagram.

DarkPrimus on
    edited October 2006
    And if you go with that direction, you can replace Blissey with a Pokemon Rescue Team, maybe made up entirely of flying-types. (Pidgetto, Noctowl, Swellow, and Mukuhawk.)

:| Just an idea.

Furu on
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm so getting in on this.

My poke: 253.png

Grovyle! The Leafy Assassin!

Diablo Fett on
    edited October 2006
    Oh man

someone should play a Dugtrio