As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Merging counter-cultures

FurthurFurthur Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I found myself thinking one day, that perhaps the drug culture and video game culture could work well together. The idea of some of my gamer friends embracing intoxicants brings up the idea of lan parties with bongs. I think that the two societies would mix well together once everyone got used to the other side.
If I'm off about this please tell me.

Furthur on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think "doing drugs" is a valid form of culture.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    I was thinking this too, but how is "playing games" any different? I know you didn't specifically claim that it is, but you seemed to imply it.

Bama on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    Bama wrote: »
    I was thinking this too, but how is "playing games" any different? I know you didn't specifically claim that it is, but you seemed to imply it.

That too, but I thought that I should seize the moral high ground while the getting was good.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hear the view is amazing, especially if you're baked out of your head.

Bama on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Actually from what I've seen they haven't. People wanted to smoke hashish or whatethefuckever at PAX, some others suggested that they would bring 'something else', they were told to not 'show up with something else'.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Drugs have a very large culture surrounding them. You may not be a cultured person for being a stoner, but to say there isn't a stoner culture is...well, wrong.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The trick is to keep in mind the difference between the actvity and the fan culture. You can play video games and still find the gaming community to be unpleasant, and you can be a pot smoker withought being a damned hippie.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    gaming and drugs are absolutely cultures. if you meet someone who loves the same games as you, that shit matters. it's the same with drugs. or drinking (a drug, but I'm making the distinction on purpose). or movies. all that stuff. ways of connecting with people through shared -culture-.

I'm not really sure what the OP is saying though. as much as the two cultures merge at some places, they diverge a great deal in other areas. music and drug culture intertwine a lot, almost too much for me.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Also: Drugs and gaming are not counter-cultures. At all.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    clownfoodclownfood packet pusher in the wallsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The OP conjured up images of when some beer company started running commercials mashing sports or other activities. Like Full Contact Golf or the Recliner Ski Jump.

Then there is Jon Stewart in Half Baked...Ever look at the stars...on WEED!!

I like the idea of cultures mixing. I figure it works for societies throughout history. I especially like the way sports has embraced various disciples for better performance, be it psychology or science.

clownfood on
    photo-4798.jpg?_r=1355437546
  • Options
    Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    If anything gaming is one of the most mainstream subculture sets available.

I like games and all, but "gamer culture" fills me with rage.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I actually don't agree with this partially. Gaming is becoming more mainstream and less counter culture, but the illegal nature of drug use tends to keep it's counter-culture status. Most anything that goes against the laws of a society and the culture that surrounds it is considered counter-culture.

clownfood on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Furthur wrote: »
    perhaps the drug culture and video game culture could work well together.

well, yeah

i mean, bonghits and videogames work great together

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I thought this was going to be a thread about, like, what happens when bollywood films meet anime?

Anyway, here is my story about gaming and drug cultures. This one time, I was at a brawl tournament. And this guy comes up to me and says "Hey man do you know where I can find some weed?" And I thought he said Wii because it was loud. And I was like "What?" And then he said it again and I laughed at my mistake and told him no. Then he went and asked some more people.

Good story, right? It totally transcends cultures.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nothing about breaking the law is counter culture. Illegal activity is the longest standing tradition IN culture. Hell, theft and disobeying the authorities came before prostitution.

--

BlueBlue: There is already a five hour Sailor Moon musical. Also multiple comic book musicals.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    But is there a musical anime?

Actually I don't think I've ever even heard of a musical episode of an anime. I mean, maybe some people will sing a song but nothing "Once More With Feeling" - type.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Actually I don't think I've ever even heard of a musical episode of an anime. I mean, maybe some people will sing a song but nothing "Once More With Feeling" - type.

o_O

Hell, there's an anime-style game that's a musical.

There is almost certainly a musical anime. I know there is a Phantom of the Opera anime out there.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, I know about rhapsody.
    But, that was all just an example of an odd-couple pairing of cultures that I thought might be featured here, instead of games/drugs.

I'm talking German-Hawaiian fusion cuisine, here.

Actually I think I got my hopes up based off a misreading of the title. Like, this is merging "counter-culture" and I was thinking merging "very different cultures". Whoops.
    But hey if you think of the name of that PotO anime, pm me or something because I am suddenly interested.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Nothing about breaking the law is counter culture. Illegal activity is the longest standing tradition IN culture. Hell, theft and disobeying the authorities came before prostitution.

But illegal activity is not a social norm. The very definition of counter-culture is the the values and behavior of a group that run against the grain of the social mainstream. Most people are law abiding citizens, regardless of the millions that smoke weed or do whatever chemical is their particular vice. The majority of society do not pay women upfront with cash to have sex with them. Most people don't make a life of stealing and conning people.

You are right, so long as law has been around, there have been people breaking them. But those people are a definite minority who operates outside the social norm in accordance to their own values. This would make them a sub-culture or even a counter-culture.

clownfood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    clownfood wrote: »
    But illegal activity is not a social norm.

Ahahahahahahahhaaha

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Er, I have a lot of friends who partake of both cultures simultaneously. But then again, both cultures are pretty friendly with any other culture that isn't a complete ass.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see how they'd benefit each other. I don't see how they are at odds with each other to begin with. I really am missing the point of the question. Drug rallies might improve gaming as less than a geeky thing? Game tournaments would be a place to debate pot legalization?

I didn't realize.

Also, maybe we should get the movie culture, and the "people who cross the street" culture to get together, too. By which I mean I don't see these as really strong cultures. China has a culture. There's sort of an American culture. But gaming and drug culture? I guess you could say that because things like Electronics Gaming Monthly and High Times exist. But is there a furniture culture because of IKEA?

I don't know. My head is spinning. This all seems silly.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Games have become de facto less geeky. The reality is that a significant portion of the 20-30 population games.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008

o_O

There is almost certainly a musical anime. I know there is a Phantom of the Opera anime out there.

Nerima Daikon Bros

Aroduc on
  • Options
    RhakaRhaka Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

o_O

Nerima Daikon Bros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY6VtKJvC4c

Rhaka on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Perhaps using the term counter-culture at the beginning of this thread was a bit extreme when referring to gamer culture. I was trying to think of scenarios where my drug friends and my gamer friends would have a good time together. Maybe my situation is unique, but my gamer friends are all quirky and out there, and my drug friends seem weird enough to get them. I'll admit that I could be off base on this however.

Furthur on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ...So... you're trying to turn your non-druggie friends into druggies...? o_O

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Yes and no. I dont mean that i want them to start abusing drugs, but i think that they would be much more fun at parties if they did. And on the other side, they few times I have played video games with my drug friends it went swimmingly.

Furthur on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited November 2008
    "This is fun, but you know what'd be even better? If we were all high."

Yeah, I'm sure your friends will love you for that.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Here is some free advice: Don't try to get your friends on drugs. If people feel they personally just have to do drugs hey fine whatever, but don't push that shit on people.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Video games and various drugs can be okay, as long as we aren't talking about harder stuff or hallucinogens, which tend to make games unplayable, at least in my experience.

Playing games while you're drunk or baked can be great, though.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Exactly my point. And trust me, I do not condone pressuring someone into doing drugs. It should always come down to the individual to make decisions like that. And I understand that with combining the two groups, there would be the danger of people getting "peer-pressured" into taking substances that they dont want to.
    But perhaps I should add, that for me, drug culture isn't just about doing drugs. Yes, they tend to be a focal point in activities, but other things are involved. Just as video games tend to be the focal point in gamer culture, but other things are there.

Furthur on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Rhaka wrote: »

o_O

Nerima Daikon Bros

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zY6VtKJvC4c

And then there's this

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The thing is that video games are almost impossible to be harmed by. Drugs can ruin your life just because someone picked up the phone. If you want to mix people, focus on gaming with stoners, not stoning gamers.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This sounds almost like it belonged in H/A under "Should I try to get my gamer friends high so they can chill out?"

The question of "can we mix the cultures" still sounds ridiculous. Why? What grand 'culture' merging... Where were the cultures are diametric odds with each other? Like... let's merge peanut butter with jelly? Crips with bloods? Republicans and Democrats? It just sounds so silly. "Mergine Cultures: Why can't we get republicans and democrats to get a long? I know a lot of my republican friends, and a lot of democrat friends, and I was wondering..." Like, are you trying to start a brand new fad where Microsoft includes a mini pipe with every Xbox? "Marijuana! It's the new Bawls!"

I'm not even touching the idea they're counter-cultures. But.. what would that have to do with it? And...

uhhhhh

Dazed and confused...

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Stoner nerds is the bestest nerds.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    The thing is that video games are almost impossible to be harmed by.

You take that back.
    jack_thompson_attorney.jpg

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'm trying to think what the real question is here, in this thread. "Could pot make gamers a better people?"

"Could games be fun on weed?"

"Ever seen a twenty dollar bill on weed?"

No matter what, it was worded in an unnecessarily bizarre, convoluted, silly manner.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I'm trying to think what the real question is here, in this thread. "Could pot make gamers a better people?"

"Could games be fun on weed?"

"Ever seen a twenty dollar bill on weed?"

No matter what, it was worded in an unnecessarily bizarre, convoluted, silly manner.

I think there's a difference between the type of nerd who will get drunk or get high and the kind who is self righteous about not doing those things.

The difference? The 1st group is probably going to be better with the whole 'I'm not socially inept' thing.

Seriously, I went into the video games club of my college, and I was thinking, how in gods name am I better at this human interaction thing than you guys? You're 3 FUCKING years older than me! Then I mentioned the TF2 drinking game (every time you get hit by a novice rocket, take a drink), and they got PISSED as hell.

Alcolol and pot are, when you're using them correctly, social lubricants. They teach you what works and what doesn't work in a social situation really fucking quickly.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    But that all is part of my point. People are different, and drugs aren't exactly the type of thing you can just make a motion to... "merge" with another people.

But, I suppose I've been simply questioning the OP. Debating the question rather than answering.

No, I don't think we should "merge" the "cultures." They're fine as they are. Individuals, as a whole, will choose to do drugs, or play games. Should they mix the two, it doesn't represent any sort of 'cultural oneness.' Nor do I think that merging should be any sort of imperative.

JamesKeenan on
This discussion has been closed.