As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Seattle! Trip Suggestions?

hamburger helperhamburger helper Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello folks,

I've been to Seattle a couple of times now due to my annual PAX pilgrimage, but this will be the first time I bring my girlfriend with me. I never really explored the great gastronomic offerings or touristy things given the context of past visits.

Any suggestions on places to eat? I've been told Wild Ginger, Purple, and FX McRory's are good spots to eat.

Any suggestions on things to do? Other then that our itinerary is to wander around aimlessly at this point. Help me! D:

statimg.php?id=280&theme=1
hamburger helper on

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do you guys eat meat? When I was there for Casual Connect I ate at a spot called Impa Nima. You have a card on your table that is green for go or red for stop. As long as you are on green waiters will endlessly stop at your table and carve meat right off a spit for you.

It was pretty much the best eating experience I've ever had. I don't know what street it's on but it's near the water in the down town area. I think not far from the art museum.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Do you guys eat meat? When I was there for Casual Connect I ate at a spot called Impa Nima. You have a card on your table that is green for go or red for stop. As long as you are on green waiters will endlessly stop at your table and carve meat right off a spit for you.

It was pretty much the best eating experience I've ever had. I don't know what street it's on but it's near the water in the down town area. I think not far from the art museum.

That sounds hilarious and awesome. I'll google it :)

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    As far as rodizio goes, Ipanema is pretty middle-of-the-road. That said, if you've never had rodizio before, it's pretty great.

You should take a Ferry from downtown out to Bainbridge Island for lunch. Walking on is under $7 per person.
    http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/ferries/schedules/current/index.cfm?route=sea-bi

Doc on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If you want a fancy, expensive, delicious steak meal, the Metropolitan Grill is awesome. The Underground tour is also pretty fun, though you have to get there in person pretty early to get a ticket; they don't take reservations.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Check out the magical mystery tour thread on the PAX forum - we did loads of brill things before PAX this year.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    wild ginger was the best food i had when i was there. if you like beer id stop by any one of the numerous little microbrew pubs the funnest part of the week my gf and i spent there was just stumbling around the hippie area drunk off microbrews and running into a giant statue of lenin

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    If you want a fancy, expensive, delicious steak meal, the Metropolitan Grill is awesome. The Underground tour is also pretty fun, though you have to get there in person pretty early to get a ticket; they don't take reservations.

El Gaucho is *amazing* if you are willing to drop a bunch of cash on steaks.

Doc on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hah, two of my bandmates work at Purple. You can't go wrong for dinner there, and their wine selection is quite impressive.

One of my favorite Italian places is Bizzarro out in Wallingford. It's a little hard to find (just around the corner behind Blue Star) and the decor is a little strange, but the food is fantastic.

Oh, and hit up Lunchbox Laboratory at some point while you're here. It's pricey but you will never have another burger quite like it.

And one of my favorite places is Queen Sheba. It's Ethiopian, and everything is good.

If you guys are music fans, hop down to Easy Street Records for both a fine selection and a tasty breakfast. Also keep your eyes peeled for upcoming shows--there's shitloads of music every night of the week, from local upstarts to national acts.

For our microbrew selection, 99.9% of bars serve a fairly standardized variety of Northwest microbrews (including Manny's, a pale ale made right here in Seattle). For something a bit more specialized, there's the Elysian and The Stumbling Monk, both of which brew their own stock (given a choice of one or the other, go for the Monk).

Some people brag about seeing movies in IMAX, of which Seattle does have a theater. But we also have The Cinerama, which is the royal flush of movie experiences IMO. So what if The Dark Knight had special IMAX-only effects? Those Cinerama seats are the most goddamn comfortable seats on Earth.

Some standard Seattle things to do: watch the dudes throw fish at [url=]http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/frameset.asp?flash=false]Pike Place Market,[/url] take the Underground Tour, observe the view from Alki Beach, get a picture with the Fremont Troll, ride the laughably short Monorail, take a stroll through Gasworks Park, check out the selection at Scarecrow Video and defile the organic produce at Ballard Market.

Beyond that there's art exhibits, outdoor activities, farmer's markets, parks, famous gravesites and rain. Pack an umbrella, but only use it during heavy downpours--only tourists whip 'em out during anything lighter.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    A group of us went to Honey Court for dim sum during PAX and it was pretty rocking :)

Hypatia on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    There's a Science Fiction museum there too, if that's your thing. It's pretty neat.

Also, beware, if you are walking in Seattle, especially if you are going to some of those famous graves (like Bruce Lee's) there's a raised freeway that cuts across the city that is almost uncrossable by foot. There are a few underpasses that are spaced pretty far apart, and kind of easy to miss. We had to get a local to show us where to get across, and by the time we got across, the cemetary had just closed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Check out the magical mystery tour thread on the PAX forum - we did loads of brill things before PAX this year.

THIS! If you two are coming before PAX starts, the Pre-PAX Magical Mystery Tour is a quick and easy way to see pretty much every interesting tourist destination in the city in one two-day whallop of a tour. =) Plus you get to meet a bunch of fellow forumers who go on the tour as well.

The thread should be starting up at the start of the new year. I'm going to need to find someone to run the actual tour itself this year, as I'm going to be driving down with the Cross Country Supertrip... but I'm sure someone will step forward. They basically did last year when I ended up 3 hours late for the first day anyways. =)

So yeah, keep your eyes peeled for the MMT!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    One of my favorite Indian places is Cedars. There's also a great 100% vegan lunch place just a block down the street, if you're into that.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    You guys are wonderful. Unfortunately, we're going this weekend... so we're a bit early (or late) for the MMT. Thanks for all your great advice!

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ohhh! I thought your original post implied that you were pre-planning for next years' PAX =)

Definitely hit the Sci Fi museum, and Honey Court for food if you like Dim Sum.

I *STILL* talk to anyone who'll listen about how crazy inexpensive they were. It makes the inner miser in me jump with glee. We fed like 10 hungry people to the point of overflowing for like 40 bucks, and it was delicious. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What's your favorite type of food? I can probably name a few of the top ones in seattle.

Also, I like the Museum of Art. You might want to check out the Experience Music Project, if you're into music. But I've never been so I can't comment. Going to the top of the Space Needle is pretty fun, but don't eat there it's overpriced and not that great.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love Indian, Japanese... well anything actually. Her only stipulation is no fish. I think the Museum may be a good diversion, same with the EMP (which everyone I talk to raves about).

hamburger helper on
  • Options
    TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    if you goto the emp dish out the $10 or whatever for the ipod audio tour. that+guitar hall=awesome. you can listen to riffs played on each of the displayed instruments/amps on there for comparison. we spent like an hour and a half in that room alone.

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    And you get admission into the EMP and the Sci Fi museum for one price since it's in the same building. Score!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I love Indian, Japanese... well anything actually. Her only stipulation is no fish. I think the Museum may be a good diversion, same with the EMP (which everyone I talk to raves about).

If you love indian, then I can't recommend Cedars high enough. I got a link in my previous post. It's in the U-district, so it's a quick bus ride north from downtown.

The Teapot is completely vegan pan-asian cuisine, and it might be my favorite restaurant in existence. Whenever I go there, I purposely order a type of food I don't like. I will invariably love it, and then I'll know how to prepare it so I like it. I also had one of the best slices of cheesecake ever, there.

Oh god I'm getting hungry.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Ohhh! I thought your original post implied that you were pre-planning for next years' PAX =)

Definitely hit the Sci Fi museum, and Honey Court for food if you like Dim Sum.

I *STILL* talk to anyone who'll listen about how crazy inexpensive they were. It makes the inner miser in me jump with glee. We fed like 10 hungry people to the point of overflowing for like 40 bucks, and it was delicious. =)

Man, I thought the Sci Fi museum was the biggest rip off I had ever experienced. I don't understand how they can charge a person to go through there. It was absolutely horrible. Models falling apart, no pictures, out-dated. UGH.

I would say my time spent in that area in general (Space Needle, Monorail, SciFi Museum, etc.) was the worst of my trip. I thought they were all giant let-downs that were terribly over-priced.

edit: Check out the aquarium though. I went to a business party there put on by Nickolodeon and I was throughly impressed. They have an awesome touch pond area and tons of cool fishies to look at. Granted, I was drunk whilst doing this but it was still the best part of the trip - followed closely by the Pike St. market.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    A few tips to help you fit in:

1. It's "I-5," not "The 5."

2. Pike Place Market. Not Pike's Place, or Pike St. (sorry Satan)

3. Nirvana is terrible and no one gives a shit.

4. Similarly, no self-respecting Seattleite buys anything from Starbucks ever.

5. It is cold. And may very well be rainy. No complaints, you came here under your own power.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Makershot wrote: »

4. Similarly, no self-respecting Seattleite buys anything from Starbucks ever.

It looks like a large chunk of Seattleites hate themselves, then -- no wonder it's the suicide capital of the world.

Hamburger you should check out the troll if you get a chance.

Also, fun fact: Seattle is home to the largest statue of Lenin in America.

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    It's the suicide capitol of the world? I never knew that! It seems like such a nice place. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Meant America, my mistake. And I just did some poking around and, as of 2004, Las Vegas had a higher one. But Seattle is one of the top cities. People think it's the weather.
    And Aurora Bridge
    Splat

Joe Chemo on
  • Options
    proXimityproXimity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Dick's Drive-In for food yet. It's a local fast food burger joint that is adored by locals. There's a few of them all over the city, and if you're looking for a quick delicious bite to eat, you should check them out. Plus, then you can say you shoved dicks in your mouth and loved it (that never gets old...)

proXimity on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Dick's is good in the "it's 1:45AM and nowhere is open and I've had seventeen shots and salty greasy hamburgers om nom nom" but it's no Red Mill or Kidd Valley.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png