As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[wii] Pistol shell recommendations?

Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Hello,

I've been thinking about a christmas present for my little brother. He's going to get Umbrella Chronicles already, and I thought a nice little pistol shell for the Wiimote might be a fun addition.

Do you have any suggestions which one to pick or to avoid? Or are they all basically the same and I should just go for price and/or looks?

Joe Dizzy on

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The Nerf shell is really worth looking into. The weight feels right and I like the sights. Plus, it doubles as a real dart blaster. :winky:

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nyko Perfect Shot.

Nyko Perfect Shot!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd recommend the Nyko Perfect Shot.

That said, Link's Crossbow Training is pretty rad, so it's worth getting the Zapper with it. Though I think the game is only like $3 used at GameStop. The Zapper sucks nuts though.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nyko Perfect Shot.

Nyko Perfect Shot!

Can be easily found for $9.99 or less.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Sometimes I hold my Perfect Shot and do commando rolls around my living room, just because it makes me feel like a bad-ass.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    B:L wrote: »
    Nyko Perfect Shot.

Nyko Perfect Shot!

I would lime this more if I could.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Xaquin wrote: »

sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot.
    sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot!
    sweet-lime-icon.gif

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »

sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot.
    sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot!
    sweet-lime-icon.gif

that's some fine lime.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Link's Crossbow Training is so much more fun than it has a right to be. Too bad the Zapper is useless for, well, anything else. It makes Metroid Prime 3 unplayable, and that's the only game I can think of that might have benefitted at all from it.
    that's some fine lime.

The lime must be drawn HERE

Delzhand on
  • Options
    solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »

sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot.
    sweet-lime-icon.gif
    Nyko Perfect Shot!
    sweet-lime-icon.gif

that's some fine lime.

It's the better gun... but the trigger still feels too spongy.

solsovly on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Link's Crossbow Training is so much more fun than it has a right to be. Too bad the Zapper is useless for, well, anything else. It makes Metroid Prime 3 unplayable, and that's the only game I can think of that might have benefitted at all from it.

I played that game until I had the best medal for each level.

so much fun.

yeah though, the Zapper is pretty terrible.

Xaquin on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i have to say the perfect shot.

BUT
    I also have to say it is by no means perfect.

i dont know about anyone else, but i am crazy about shooters and can play them as long as WoW addicts. I find my hands cramping unusually fast holding the quick shot.

just my 2 cents

delphinus on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    delphinus wrote: »
    i have to say the perfect shot.

BUT
    I also have to say it is by no means perfect.

i dont know about anyone else, but i am crazy about shooters and can play them as long as WoW addicts. I find my hands cramping unusually fast holding the quick shot.

just my 2 cents

I mean, I still recommend the perfect shot... but as I said in my previous post, it doesn't really feel that great.

I'd say it's the best Wii Shell. But as a light gun, it's probably the worst "light gun" I've owned from the original PS1 Guncon on.

solsovly on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Get the Perfect Shot.

The Zapper is no good, at all, for Umbrella Chronicles. The Zapper is "okay" for some games once you take the time to get used to it, but it doesn't work for RE:UC because of RE:UC's control setup. It's impractical. But the Perfect Shot works great.

Now, as Delphinus mentioned, if you shootshootshoot with the PerfectShot, it's possible to cramp your hand. It's actually not necessary to pull the trigger 100% back to register, but who's thinking about that when they're being attacked by a bunch of angry zombies?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Get the Perfect Shot.

The Zapper is no good, at all, for Umbrella Chronicles. The Zapper is "okay" for some games once you take the time to get used to it, but it doesn't work for RE:UC because of RE:UC's control setup. It's impractical. But the Perfect Shot works great.

Now, as Delphinus mentioned, if you shootshootshoot with the PerfectShot, it's possible to cramp your hand. It's actually not necessary to pull the trigger 100% back to register, but who's thinking about that when they're being attacked by a bunch of angry zombies?

You haven't used the nerf gun, have you.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    delphinusdelphinus Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    slash000 wrote: »
    Get the Perfect Shot.

you fail for not keeping a cool head during a zombie invasion. In terms of people most likely to die in a zombie invasion, i rank you between sexy teen couple and token 90's black character.

believe me, ive tried everything to minimize crampage from the nyko. i current bought one in hopes of modifying the trigger and pull resistance.

delphinus on
  • Options
    BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I tried this thread earlier, you know! HMPH! :x

I've only seen the Nerf gun with the pack-in game, and not for cheap either. I do wonder about it.

And if all else fails, I think there's a YouTube somewhere of someone who made their own pistol shell out of Lego and elastics and stuff.

Edit: Here's what I've seen before.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A71UyjQK42E&feature=related

And there's this guy who shows you how to make his version.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at4GqeiTlAY&feature=related

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Any more feedback on the Nerf Shell? I really am sick of my perfect shot's crappy trigger.

solsovly on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I saw the Nerf shell at Toys R Us being sold separately from the game for $14.99.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nyko Perfect Shot.

Nyko Perfect Shot!

This.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Thanks for the help. As luck would have it UC isn't going to make it into my brother's hands until some time in January, so picking up the Perfect Shot will have to wait a while. It'd just be too cruel, otherwise.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I think most of the shooting games out there don't have actual aiming - you need to move the cursor, not point where you want to shoot.

It kind of makes the idea of a shell pointless.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I think it's the same psychological effect at work as in Guitar Hero. So, you don't need it... but it's more fun that way, I guess.

Joe Dizzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    apotheos wrote: »
    I think most of the shooting games out there don't have actual aiming - you need to move the cursor, not point where you want to shoot.

Umbrella Chronicles is definitely like this. The point of the shell was for accuracy and "fun". Ghost Squad and I think House of the Dead have a more "aim" type feel.

I wish my old guncons worked on HDTVS :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    apotheos wrote: »

Ghost squad at least allows you to calibrate pointing to the "corners" of the screen to allow you to point and shoot.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    The Nyko Perfect Shot is best suited for games supporting 1:1 calibration. Right now the only ones that I know of that do this are HOTD23 and Ghost Squad.

HOWEVER - there are 2 other advantages to it. One, it makes pointing and shooting like a gun more comfortable than the standard wiimote pointing and clicking. It's also easier to aim steadily (hold the cursor steady). So those are practical advantages even if there's no 1:1 support.

Secondly, some games, like RE:UC, it works to have a Perfect Shot because of those reasons but also because there's a nice passthrough on the bottom for the nunchuck. So it works a lot better than the wii zapper and you still can hold the thing steadily/comfortably as a pistol rather than a remote.

But it's best used for 1:1 calibrated games like Ghost Squad and HOTD23 since then it becomes an actual 1:1 lightgun

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Interesting article..

They didn't mention if the trigger on the Nerf gun was any better/worse than the Perfect Shot's trigger though..

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I haven't used the perfect shot, but I have no complaints about the trigger on the nerf. My only complaint is spending $60 on a game that loses interest once the "ooh, check out all the Nerf guns I can use" factor becomes void. Still, a great game if you're playing with your kid, or drunk, which ever.

Must buy when it drops to $40, in all honesty.

Capt Howdy on