As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Internet Event of the Year - 2008

Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
edited December 2009 in Games and Technology
It's that time of year again, time for the annual PA:GT internet event of the year thread where we look back at the past 12 months in cyberspace and try to figure out what was the most wonderful thing that has happened in the tubes in 2008.

This is the third year now for this so let us continue the tradition and figure out what the internet in 2008 will be remembered as for years go come.

For me I think 2008 will be remembered as the year of the Twitter. This year it finally caught a hold of a nation and even Obama was on there doing his thing. It might have started in 2006 but no one had heard of it until 2008.

This year we also saw Chrome but that hasn't quite slain the world yet.

So what else should we take out of 2008 as we head into the unknown of 2009?

(For those who want a look back here is the 2007 thread)

Clipboard03.jpg
I KISS YOU!
Lord Jezo on

• Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Did the PS3 turn a profit? I remember hearing something vague about it... I also heard someone was going to eat a dick.

To be honest I can't think of anything major outside of what you supplied, I would have to vote for Twitter as well(I do not personally use it) but I would like to say:
    2006: Youtube
    2007: Facebook
    2008: Twitter
    Only seems right.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    Bacon-BuTTyBacon-BuTTy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Limbo Of The Lost is what I will always remember about 2008.

Bacon-BuTTy on
    Automasig.jpg
  • Options
    CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Was Stumbleupon around last year?

Because Stumbleupon is the best thing.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Impersonator on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Twitter and maybe Hulu, but it's looking like next year will be the one for Hulu.

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Either Hulu or The Rickroll

Rent on
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I'd be willing to vote for Twitter, 'cept I don't know anyone who has it. Still, it and Hulu are great candidates.

The Large Hadron Collider I think also deserves a mention.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Did the PS3 turn a profit? I remember hearing something vague about it... I also heard someone was going to eat a dick.

To be honest I can't think of anything major outside of what you supplied, I would have to vote for Twitter as well(I do not personally use it) but I would like to say:
    Only seems right.

wait, how can facebook be the thing of 2007 when it came out in 2004 and only became insanely popular because it changed to be myspace 2.0 in 2005-6?

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I would like to change my vote to this. 1000x this. It is one of the biggest jokes in the industry and will hopefully go down in history as how exactly to make a game wrong.
    Rent wrote: »
    Either Hulu or The Rickroll

Man, Rickroll has been around for ages, back when I still had my supra(2005-*early*2007) it was going around supraforums, it really wasn't that funny then either. :P

Only seems right.

wait, how can facebook be the thing of 2007 when it came out in 2004 and only became insanely popular because it changed to be myspace 2.0?

Because like Twitter launching in 2004, but just becoming popular now in 2008, Facebook did not gain its primary momentum until 2007.

*edit* "Twitter: the insanely popular social networking application that no one you know uses!"

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I vote for Hulu. I rely more on it for TV every day, and, now, so are even my less tech-savvy friends. As Tycho said, it's YouTube all grown up, with a business model.

Also, I used Twitter for a few months and then realized Facebook does the mini-blog-posts, easy-to-keep-up-with thing just as well, and all of my friends actually know it exists. Not a major event, for me.

gilrain on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008

Thirding this, because damn.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I fail to see how turning yourself into a slightly cleaner copy of your #1 competitor and gaining part of their market share is a big deal.

Anyway, my vote for this yeah would be Hulu. It's like those companies are finally starting to get a clue. Now if they would just follow abc's example and leave everything up permanently, we'd be set.

Re: Twitter - does anyone actually use this besides bloggers and internet celebrities? I keep hearing that its this huge thing, but the only people I hear it from are those same 'net personalities that have throngs of obsessive fans following their feeds.

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't understand Twitter. I made a user when a thread about it was posted here. I read most of the posts from the people I were following and posted a little myself, but after a couple of weeks, I just stopped using it for no specific reason.

I frequently found the character limit on messages way too small.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    If it's not Dr. Horrible, I don't know if I have any faith in humanity.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I fail to see how turning yourself into a slightly cleaner copy of your #1 competitor and gaining part of their market share is a big deal.

Anyway, my vote for this yeah would be Hulu. It's like those companies are finally starting to get a clue. Now if they would just follow abc's example and leave everything up permanently, we'd be set.

Re: Twitter - does anyone actually use this besides bloggers and internet celebrities? I keep hearing that its this huge thing, but the only people I hear it from are those same 'net personalities that have throngs of obsessive fans following their feeds.

I'm not trying to troll or derail the thread as I feel that this thread is about debating the topic at hand.
    Globally speaking Facebook has grown very fast seeing over 100% growth in that past year, Twitter has grown even faster at almost 350% it's unique userbase in 2008.

As of January 2008 on a census based over the entire internet userbase Facebook and Myspace held almost equal shares of the total user base of the internet both holding roughly 1/8th shares.

I would say that yes, Facebook has grown and will soon overtake Myspace as the top social networking site. Twitter has shown outstanding growth this year, as Facebook did last year and this is easily reflected in the numbers.

I am not arguing which is currently the most widely used, I am looking at which has the strongest growth over the past few years. I hope you understand that not everything's value is measured in it's current size but more so in it's current growth and value over time.

Two most current citations I could find without putting much effort forth.
    Q1 Numbers/Growth
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/02/27/the-global-race-among-social-networks-heats-up-keep-an-eye-on-hi5-friendster-and-imeem/
    Q3 Numbers/Growth
    http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/online_mobile/leading-social-networking-sites-still-growing

In response to your Re:Twitter
    As I said before, "Twitter: the insanely popular social networking application that no one you know uses!"

*edit* I would still like to point out that I think Limbo of The Lost should take it hands down.

JamesDM on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I never even fucking heard of Twitter till a couple weeks ago.

Go to their site and check it out, and it's apparently a very, very limited version of Facebook or something.

This is a big thing?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »

I think Dr. Horrible is significant as well.

piL on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Any monkey can make Limbo of the Lost

but Dr. Horrible was a Gem

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    zimfan wrote: »

Any monkey can make Limbo of the Lost

but Dr. Horrible was a Gem

Don't get me wrong, NPH and Felicia Day, oh ho ho. That is guaranteed gold, Limbo of The Lost took alot of shady dealings and honest to god hope that it would pass as something other than a text book example of plagiarism. It is the Gizmondo of 2008.

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    I only vaguely remember the whole Limbo of the Lost thing, but I remember being like "holy shit" when it happened.

Felicia Day is not that hot, guys. Have you seen her nose? It's terrifying.

EDIT: I guess the nerd culture has slim pickings though when trying to catapult an average-or-worse looking girl to "hot" status. They tried to do that with Summer Glau despite having an absolutely haggard face.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't think she's attractive

but man can she sing

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have no idea what Twitter is or does.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2008
    Digg, also I am digging this thread.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I only vaguely remember the whole Limbo of the Lost thing, but I remember being like "holy shit" when it happened.

EDIT: I guess the nerd culture has slim pickings though when trying to catapult an average-or-worse looking girl to "hot" status. They tried to do that with Summer Glau despite having an absolutely haggard face.

this just in: opinions are subjective

freakish light on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Your mom is subjective.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Your mom is subjective.

I would totally wreck Felicia and your mom. Subjectively speaking, naturally.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Honestly, I think the biggest thing to happen was the internet presence of the Barack Obama campaign. Their site organized thousands (if not millions) of people for political action, like GOTV, canvassing, phone banking, etc. And it was all based online. It was really revolutionary in how it involved people.

Add to that the new media youtube stuff, the online contests, etc, and it's probably one of the biggest mainstream harnessings of the full power and potential of the internet.

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Breaking News...

Girls do more than just look pretty.

More at 10.

On another note, I have no idea who Summer Glau is.

JamesDM on

• Options
    SilkyNumNutsSilkyNumNuts Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Breaking News...

More at 10.

On another note, I have no idea who Summer Glau is.

river, from firefly, or the friendly neighbourhood terminator in Sarah connor chronicles.

She's not hot, but she is strangely atttractive.

Plus flexible as hell.

SilkyNumNuts on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Closure of Muxtape?

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Breaking News...

Well, we are talking about celebrities.

She can be the best singer on the planet, but if she's a total uggo no one is even going to cast her in anything for the rest of the world to find out. Looks matter.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

Breaking News...

Well, we are talking about celebrities.

She can be the best singer on the planet, but if she's a total uggo no one is even going to cast her in anything for the rest of the world to find out. Looks matter.

I'm not saying that looks don't matter, but are you going to tell me that she did a terrible job with Dr. Horrible and should not have been cast for that role?

JamesDM on

• Options
    edited December 2008
    No, nor do I believe that Summer Glau was wrong for the role of River. They both did great, and Whedon almost always has superb casting.

I'm talking about the "OMFG SHE'S SO HOT" mentality that came afterwards. It was like Jade Raymond all over again, the whole behavior of jumping all over a chick just because she was involved in a sci-fi/fantasy work.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kaylee was hot.

River was strangely.....hot.

I'll be wanking in the corner now.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Kaylee was hot.

River was strangely.....hot.

I'll be wanking in the corner now.

The greatest crime is Jewel Staite (Kaylee) doesn't get more work. Cause god damn.

freakish light on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    When I was a kid, I had a crush on the girl with rainbow hair from the show Space Cases.

I found out like two months ago it was totally Jewel Staite.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Magik_TekMagik_Tek Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Rickroll reaching mainstream with Rick Astley himself, singing the song at the Macy's Parade.

Magik_Tek on
    PSN: Fear_Magik
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I don't even know what Twitter is.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    galenblade wrote: »
    Honestly, I think the biggest thing to happen was the internet presence of the Barack Obama campaign. Their site organized thousands (if not millions) of people for political action, like GOTV, canvassing, phone banking, etc. And it was all based online. It was really revolutionary in how it involved people.

Add to that the new media youtube stuff, the online contests, etc, and it's probably one of the biggest mainstream harnessings of the full power and potential of the internet.

I think this is it. We finally had a candidate that use the internet to really organize and direct his campaign. If not this then Hulu.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I think my vote is for Hulu. Obama used the internet pretty well, but it's effect is difficult to determine, and I personally know I spent more hours watching Hulu than Obama, especially if you count the debates where I was watching both at the same time.

Of course, that's probably more of a bad thing than a good thing.

Edit: Two more reasons: It's more in line with the other winners; websites that gained mainstream appeal and became high-traffic sites in their respective years, and still continue to exist after (the Obama campaign isn't quite so important anymore. Neither is Dr. Horrible, unfortunately).

Reason 2: New Presidents win every damn award anyway once every 4 years, and it's a local event anyway, even if it will have worldwide repercussions.

piL on