As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MECHATON] Giant Fighty Robots, made of Lego

robotsunshinerobotsunshine regular
edited August 2010 in Critical Failures
mechaton250.jpg

Mechaton is a simple, rules-lite miniatures wargame, where everything is made of Lego. It's made by the same dude who made Dogs in the Vineyard.
3224096070_b0e1aa3487.jpg

3223241543_f04694d0b9.jpg

3169273807_cc9af1b9ce.jpg

Really cool Mechs
The mighty Guncrab

It's a Mech game with a 28 page rulebook that costs $6. Most of those pages are filled with large text. The rest are blueprints for some basic mechs. What I'm saying is, the rules take ltierally less than 5 minutes to learn. You'll need a handful of different colored dice though (the game suggests white, yellow, green, blue, and red. All d6. Then a couple of red and green d8)

You can find the old playtest rules online here, but be warned that the six-dollar has a few rules tweaks and altered mechanics. But the playtest stuff is a great way to see if you'll like the game or not.

What do I need to play this wonderful thing?

Different colored dice, the rules, and lots of Lego. Don't have a bunch of Lego laying around? Fear not! Bricklink is a site that sells individual Lego brick (and they've got ALL of them) for 2 - 8 cents. Your rarer stuff can get a bit more pricey, 1 - 5 dollars, but essentially, you can create a squadron of four mechs, all kitted out with sensors and radios and railguns and forcefields for about 12 bucks, plus shipping.

What you do is you make a team of mechs, and then give them Attachments. Attachments are divided into four catagories - Movement (things like jump jets, extra legs, rocket stabilizers), Spotting / Surveillance (radios, targeting systems, laser signalling arrays), Defense (armored hulls, shields, protective forcefields), and of course, weapons! (in three flavors: hand-to-hand, direct fire, and artillery)
2977666563_61722681f1.jpg

Each mech gets up to four attachments. Just build something that looks neat and mecha-ey, and call it whatever you want, and there you go. Each attachment gives you a dice of a certain color (weapons give you red dice, defense attachments give you blue dice, etc.), and at the start of your turn, you roll 'em all and assign them to your mech's various stats. From there, it's just a simple notion of "Is my attack higher than your defense?" You then roll dice according to how many hits you get. Whenever a mech gets hit, he loses one of his attachments - you take it apart and set it on the battlefield.
3250744073_712b0a638b_m.jpg

Campaign play is beautiful, mixing light roleplay with objective-based gaming. Each player in a campaign creates an army and a homeworld, giving them some backstory and fluff, and then three objectives are created at group consensus. They're what everyone fights over, basically. Each army then vies for control of special Lego terrain features linked to one of those objectives, and the end result of the battle is: points are scored, and the story changes, everyone making it up as they go. In addition, you've got a die called the Doomsday Clock, which ticks down from 11 at the end of every campaign game, and then the loser gets to decide whether or not to tick it down again. When it reaches zero, that's the end of your campaign, complete with a climatic end battle.

If you're looking for the campaign rules, they're currently being playtested, but you can find them here: http://www.lumpley.com/comment.php?entry=265

Aren't Mechs hard to make? I'm not that good with Lego.

The rules give you design schematics just like the instruction booklet that comes with any Lego set. After you get familiar with that, it's just a notion of being creative and figuring out what parts go where to make something really cool. But you're all set to make 5 or 6 different Mechs - not to mention that when you give them various attachments, they'll all be individually cool.

You also make Lego terrain and cover, as well as special battlefield features.
mech-bigfoot.jpg

So drop down about 20 bucks to grab some Lego from Bricklink and give this game a shot. Then post your armies and stories!

robotsunshine on

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This. Is. The. Best. Idea. EVER.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Mechatonic is the best (and only) fan site right now. Also, Vincent's Ptimanya designs shows a quick shopping list for essential attachments. I doubled the quantities (enough for 6-10 mechs) and it only cost 6 bucks.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just tried to build a couple. Actually pretty hard to get it to stand and also not be really ugly.

EDIT: I think they might also be too big. What is the scale supposed to be?

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Welp, this is going to devour my break that Ive got coming up.

I HOPE YOU"RE HAPPY!

Lardalish on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is fucking awesome.

In grade school before I really knew what the expanse of tabletop gaming was I tried to make a game system using my LEGO Castle knights and shit where they had powers and moved using inches on a ruler. I WAS BREAKING GROUND.

anyhow, yeah. ::goes to the linked fansite::

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Most of my LEGO are in one huge pile wrapped in a bedsheet. The thing weighs a good couple of pounds. That should give you a good idea of how many freaking LEGO that is. Looking through all of them for "Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal" is going to be a bitch.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Most of my LEGO are in one huge pile wrapped in a bedsheet. The thing weighs a good couple of pounds. That should give you a good idea of how many freaking LEGO that is. Looking through all of them for "Plate, Modified 1 x 1 with Clip Horizontal" is going to be a bitch.

Ok, how much is "a couple pounds" cause man, Ive got huge rubbermaid tubs of legos in my parents attic. And Imma go get em next time Im home.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »

Ok, how much is "a couple pounds" cause man, Ive got huge rubbermaid tubs of legos in my parents attic. And Imma go get em next time Im home.

Same here, honestly I don't know if I can handle such a small scale, maybe I can supersize this.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Lardalish wrote: »

Like... let's say "significantly more than 5 lbs" based on comparison with what I have on hand.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Oh my god this is awesome.

Back in the day, at the Boys & Girls Club, I made the hover bike from Mega Man X2 and the Falcon from Final Fantasy III/VI out of Legos. Little pudgy lego mechs in a wargame! I'M GETTING THIS! And bricks!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    JubehJubeh Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    My mall has a Lego store, and every time I walk in I feel the urge to just blow all my money on Legos for no reason. Now I kind of have an excuse. Kind of.

They still sell them by the bucket-full, right? Or do you guys think it would be better to shop for individual parts?

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hell, Imma have fun just digging through all my legos again, all goin "oh man, this would make a bitchin shield" or "Shit yes! Look at this awesome rifle I just made!"

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    My mall has a Lego store, and every time I walk in I feel the urge to just blow all my money on Legos for no reason. Now I kind of have an excuse. Kind of.

They still sell them by the bucket-full, right? Or do you guys think it would be better to shop for individual parts?

I dunno if they have buckets of the kinds of pieces it looks like we need. Ive only seen buckets of the basics, the 6 peg blocks and boards, 4 peg blocks and boards, two peg blocks and boards, that kinda thing. But Ive never really bought in bulk so I might be wrong.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Given the nature of building these things in particular, I'd be too anal to keep everything in a bucket. Go go pencil holder boxes!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This is very amazing, now to start a community of people willing to play...

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    This actually looks really cool.

TheBog on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Looks outstanding, but what are the chances we can actually play this together?

Any way to convert this for some online lego battling?

Edit: Might be hard to convince my friends to get into this.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I see no official link. I guess the rulebook can be found in game stores for the most part?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    I'm glad you made this, D00D, because I keep forgetting to.

Mechaton Flickr group
    My LDD blueprints

EDIT: Also, official updates can be found here. You can buy the rules in book and/or PDF form, and one purchase will entitle you to the PDFs of later versions.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    MoSiAcMoSiAc Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Well there is that Lego MMO coming out. If that was rather 2nd life ish. I could see this becoming a very strong part of it. If it isn't Second Life ish, then well really we could just use this thread to show off our Mech creations.

MoSiAc on
    Monster Hunter Tri US: MoSiAc - U46FJF - Katrice | RipTen - Gaming News | Los Comics
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I glanced through the rules on building.. Is there any reason why you wouldn't outfit your mech with as much shit as possible? You know. To give it max stats in every category. I would hope there's some incentive to making something specialized.

TheBog on
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    TheBog wrote: »
    I glanced through the rules on building.. Is there any reason why you wouldn't outfit your mech with as much shit as possible? You know. To give it max stats in every category. I would hope there's some incentive to making something specialized.
    This is done through the "Points Per" system, in which an army with more Mechs and/or Attachments gets less points for holding Stations (objectives), or something like that. So if Player A has 5 units while Player B has 4 units, and each side averages 3 attachments per unit, Player A's units must pull their weight in order to secure victory.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    The rules (playtest) seem simple enough. And since terrain only effects your target if it's within one hex, is there any reason we couldn't play a campaign here?

Take snapshots of your creations and just play on a hex grid?

Edit: Any excuse to bust out the Lego sets from some closet or attic, am I right?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That's a novel idea. I need to ask my friend what 3d lego builder thingy he uses.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    TheBog wrote: »

Points-per, as was mentioned. Then there's building limitations: you can only build up to four attachments on a mech, and for each attachment shy of four, you get an extra initiative die for that mech (so if jumping the gun and running to grab an objective is your thing)

Also, in a play write-up, one guy made a mech that had max spotting attachments and (I think) movement and maybe a hand-to-hand. Under the new rules, such a mech gets a free green d8, meaning it moves FAST. The mech ran around spotting targets and causing massive damage.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    That's a novel idea. I need to ask my friend what 3d lego builder thingy he uses.
    If it's wireframe-ish (see the Mechaton cover), it's probably LeoCAD. If it's smooth like the stuff on my Flickr, it's Lego Digital Designer.

Also, I heartily endorse an online or PBP game, though the whole Lego factor will be dulled somewhat.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ianator wrote: »
    Also, I heartily endorse an online or PBP game, though the whole Lego factor will be dulled somewhat.

That's why the Lego gods invented cameras. :D

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just skimming through the test rules. It doesn't seem like there are many non-mech units, but I guess it is a mech game. I was just thinking there might be some form of support class (like front mission) or infantry or something. Infantry I couldn't see being done with lego dudes, though. Then again I am new to miniatures games, and don't really understand what goes into making them completely.

Found a link answering my questions about how to go about buying the legos. They talk about it a bit here:

http://www.lumpley.com/comment.php?entry=334

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Jubeh wrote: »
    Just skimming through the test rules. It doesn't seem like there are many non-mech units, but I guess it is a mech game. I was just thinking there might be some form of support class (like front mission) or infantry or something. Infantry I couldn't see being done with lego dudes, though. Then again I am new to miniatures games, and don't really understand what goes into making them completely.

I reply to things!

In the rulebook, they have designs for space marines. The semi-sorta-official ruling is to just treat them like mechs. The rules are pretty universal - weapons, movement, defense, targeting. Tanks, aerial units, and infantry squads are just considered weirdly-shaped mechs.

Here's some citizens, tragically gunned down.

camp1innocents.jpg

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    You could make 1-attachment "tanks" using the mech rules.

There is probably nothing small enough to represent infantry in lego form at the represented scale though.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I would totally be up for getting in on / even setting this up for a group of us at PAX if it weren't in Seattle :P You guys should do it though.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    When I first entered the Mechaton community, the first thing I contributed were LDD mockups of infantry, tanks and spaceships. And almost all of them have rules that fit with the Mechaton Playtest rules.

Man, why do you guys have to reply so fast? I was gonna insert an "Objection!" and everything!

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just for reference, the Mechs themselves are about the same size as standard lego people from the looks of them. Is that about right?

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Ianator wrote: »
    When I first entered the Mechaton community, the first thing I contributed were LDD mockups of infantry, tanks and spaceships. And almost all of them have rules that fit with the Mechaton Playtest rules.

I don't have anything to add. I just wanted to say that those mockups are incredible, dude. Specifically the infantry guys.

Jubeh on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Valkun wrote: »
    Just for reference, the Mechs themselves are about the same size as standard lego people from the looks of them. Is that about right?

Or a bit taller, depending. But yeah, about that.

robotsunshine on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    That depends on what you're going for, really. You could play with Gundam models from 1/100 to SD scale if you wanted, as long as everyone's using the same measurements.

@Jubeh: Why, thank you.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Argh, someone mixed in a bunch of my Legos with play-doh in the same bin. I never even HAD play-doh as a kid, what the hell.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    A bit bigger than that. I think they should fit within like.. 2 to 3 square inches. Not counting any huuuuge fucking rifle.

<edit> Also, just looking through this stuff, it gives off a real-life Advance Wars vibe, which is good. Except it's more in depth. And has mechs. With huuuuge fucking rifles.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Seriously. See the sniper rifle on my Powered Grenadiers - it just fits there so well~

Also, I just today discovered that LDD screenshots have transparent backgrounds. I tried transposing some spaceships over a starfield - it was pretty.

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So am I correct in thinking that I'm only allowed a max of 6 dice for my mech? So I can make it say... 2white dice, 2 green dice, and 2 long ranged red dice? Can I make it have 2 long ranged red dice and 1 short ranged red dice and just choose every turn whether to roll long range or short range to keep max at 6?

"you can only build up to four attachments on a mech" Um.. What are "attachments"?

"a mech that had max spotting attachments" Spotting attachments? I must be reading the wrong rules here.. Let me see...

<edit> Figures. I didn't read the revised rules. My weapon can have 4 red dice? Haha awesome.

TheBog on