As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Headphones while driving

UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
edited April 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
Is it legal to listen to music on headphones while driving? I'm not sure why I think it might not be since it's really not much different than listening to the radio but I want to be sure that the sight of me with earbuds on won't get me pulled over. Anyone know?

Underdog on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's a pretty terrible idea, so I would imagine you can get charged with "driving without proper care and attention".

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Just grab an FM transmitter for like 15$ and use that. It's both safer and more practical then having to deal with headphones and driving at the same time.

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Depends on the particular jurisdiction, but it's illegal in a lot of places.

For good reason.

Skip the headphones while driving. If nothing else, you'd hate to not notice an ambulance coming up behind you.

GameHat on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Don't be stupid, being able to hear is an important thing while driving, illegal or not you shouldn't do it.

Blake T on
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Agreed. Legal or not, don't do it.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    FagatronFagatron Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ever since I was small my mom (music major) instilled this paranoid fear of what using earphones at too loud a volume can do to your hearing. For a long time the car I was driving, the wiring for the speakers was completely fucked and so I just listened to my MP3 player/earbuds. Always kept them at a low level and I needed to anyway because in addition to needing to hear traffic around me the car I was driving was a stick without an RPM gauge.

On the other hand, shortly after I got my license, in my first car I was driving with the music up way too loud and the song I was listening to (believe it was Silver and Cold by AFI) the pitch of some of the notes was blending in perfectly with an ambulance that came right up behind me without me noticing for a few moments. I still feel pretty awful about that and wonder if the person on it was all right.

Fagatron on
  • Options
    wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    You can get away with this more and more as a result of iPhones and the fact that everyone wears their earbuds to talk on the phone while driving.

Doesn't mean you should.

wallabeeX on
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    It's illegal in most states to drive with headphones on. If you use iPhone earbuds, only use the one with the mic on it.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    SygnonSygnon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    in california 1 earbud is legal, covers bluetooth and such nonsense

Sygnon on
    b0b11710e1ddcbfc1958f52a53cb7566.png
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    N.B. Motorcycles ride around with earplugs in under helmets. And that is ok. Having 50 Db of music from your awesome sound system that cost £800 is ok. But listening to headphones is 'dangerous'.

The law is, always has been, and always will be, an ass.

It is not excessively dangerous to listen to music through headphones. It probably is illegal in most places. I never noticed it affect my driving/riding. I advise against doing it.

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    headphones are nothing like listening to the radio, unless they're at extremely low volume they remove situational awareness. Even at modestly loud volumes your car's radio doesn't kill off situational awareness like headphones do.

the reason headphones are bad is because they block other sounds from going in your ear, having speakers that are away from your ear allows other sounds to reach them just as well. Maybe if you had those open-ear headphones it would be less bad.

don't do it.

If you're a biker you can get helmets with speakers in them which are not nearly as bad as wearing headphones.

*I wrote this thinking earbuds. . . earbuds are worse than headphones in this regard.
    the order situational awarenessness probably looks something like this:
    No music > radio > open ear headphones > closed ear headphones > earbuds

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fagatron wrote: »
    Ever since I was small my mom (music major) instilled this paranoid fear of what using earphones at too loud a volume can do to your hearing. For a long time the car I was driving, the wiring for the speakers was completely fucked and so I just listened to my MP3 player/earbuds. Always kept them at a low level and I needed to anyway because in addition to needing to hear traffic around me the car I was driving was a stick without an RPM gauge.

On the other hand, shortly after I got my license, in my first car I was driving with the music up way too loud and the song I was listening to (believe it was Silver and Cold by AFI) the pitch of some of the notes was blending in perfectly with an ambulance that came right up behind me without me noticing for a few moments. I still feel pretty awful about that and wonder if the person on it was all right.

They generally don't use the siren when a patient is on board, it stresses them out. The only thing you did was prevent them from getting to the victim.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Yea, legal or not, it's stupid, and you should not do it. It's not so much the volume but the fact that most headphones at least partially block outside noise from reaching your ear.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    If you're a biker you can get helmets with speakers in them which are not nearly as bad as wearing headphones.

Helmet speakers are terrible. Wind noise at highway speed can exceed 100dB, and now you're trying to pump music over that. You won't have much awareness when you've gone deaf.

Fats on
  • Options
    Teslan26Teslan26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Fats wrote: »

Helmet speakers are terrible. Wind noise at highway speed can exceed 100dB, and now you're trying to pump music over that. You won't have much awareness when you've gone deaf.

Most Bikers do not listen to music anyway, we get earplugs so the above mentioned wind noise does not deafen us....

Teslan26 on
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Maybe it's just because I'm tall, but I've never understood how anyone could ever miss flashing lights in their mirror. I mean, the thing pretty much is right in my face and I have to duck to see under it to the right.

exmello on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    meh bikers forfeit their right to complain lololol u only haf 2 wheels what up with that?
    not for serious, honest. I stand corrected and now I feel silly.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    exmello wrote: »

Maybe it's just because I'm tall, but I've never understood how anyone could ever miss flashing lights in their mirror. I mean, the thing pretty much is right in my face and I have to duck to see under it to the right.

I think you are giving the average driver's spatial awareness too much credit.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Madpanda wrote: »
    I think you are giving the average driver's spatial awareness too much credit.

Definitely, but that's no reason to make it worse =p

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    Stevie2SxcStevie2Sxc __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    Not technically illegal in a lot of place, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Stevie2Sxc on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    UnderdogUnderdog Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok! Not a good idea, glad I checked in then.

Underdog on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Sygnon wrote: »
    in california 1 earbud is legal, covers bluetooth and such nonsense

Most Bluetooth headsets do not count as "hands-free," especially for dialing. Neither are most of those BT speakerphones or the new "green" solar-powered ones that clip to your visor. My Parrot SK4000 motorcycle kit does count as hands-free. Heck, it syncs with my phone book so the phone doesn't even have to support voice dialing.
    Teslan26 wrote: »
    Fats wrote: »

Most Bikers do not listen to music anyway, we get earplugs so the above mentioned wind noise does not deafen us....

They make $200 in-ear headphones + earplugs specifically for motorcycles. I guess it matters less when you already can't hear traffic over your exhaust, wind noise, helmet, and earplugs.

Riders have to be visually more aware of what it going on around them anyway... you are trained to pretend you are invisible and that no one sees you, even when making direct eye contact. You just don't register as a vehicle in some poeple's minds.

That said, cars that have tried to occupy my lane have gone completely undeterred by my little "meep meep" horn. It's been very clear to me that they often can't hear me, so something needs to be said about THEIR ability to hear outside noises. All their seals and vibration dampeners to reduce ambient noise from the road, wind, engine, and other external sources have their drawbacks. I mean, being exposed on the bike, it sounds plenty loud enough to me, but a stupidly loud one can be had for about $10 so I will be remedying that.

CZroe on
  • Options
    Toxin01Toxin01 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Blaket wrote: »
    Don't be stupid, being able to hear is an important thing while driving, illegal or not you shouldn't do it.

Toxin01 on
    Aiden Baail: Level 1 Swordmage: 19 AC 14 Fort 15 Ref 13 Will (Curse Of The Black Pearls)
    GM: Rusty Chains (DH Ongoing)
This discussion has been closed.