As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play] Samurai Western! Update 04/28: set06: The Long Journey Home. (END)

KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
edited May 2009 in Games and Technology
Samurai_Western.jpg829477samuraiwesternps2.jpg

Samurai Western is a PlayStation 2 game released in 2005. The player assumes the role of a samurai named Gojiro Kiryu, who travels to the Wild West in search of his brother Rando.

Although it was not particularly emphasized either in the game's marketing or in the game itself, Samurai Western is actually a "gaiden" (side-story) entry in the Way of the Samurai series.

Samurai Western does away with the adventure elements present in the main Way of the Samurai games, and instead is comprised purely of action. The game is divided into stages, with the goal of each being to defeat the dozens of enemies that appear within it. The game can be played alone, or simultaneously with a second player. The game has multiple difficulty levels, ranging from Normal to Insane. You may also practice a level before you play it, but it does not count as a level completion.

In a single player game, the player takes control of Gojiro the samurai. As such, the combat revolves around utilizing various types of swords to defeat enemies. There are dozens of swords available in the game, which allow you to fight in five different sword styles. The basic maneuvers of each sword are similar, consisting of a quick combo, powerful charge move and aerial attack. However, each sword style offers unique abilities. In addition to the abilities given by each style, Gojiro also has the innate ability to dodge bullets, and even use his sword to deflect them. Finally, by defeating enemies, Gojiro can fill a meter which, when full, allows him to enter Master Mode. Once activated, Master Mode greatly increases Gojiro's abilities, allowing him to dispatch enemies in a single blow.

In a two player game, the second player controls Ralph the gunman. Ralph is unable to deflect bullets or engage in melee combat, but is instead equipped with a gun that allows long range attacks.

Set01: Lord of Hats
Set02: RAGE RAGE RAGE
Set03: Much more relaxing..
Set04: I quit.
Set05: Just one episode.
Set06: The Long Journey Home
Have at you! I miss Raw Danger..

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
Kaseius on

• Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think you should just go back and do Raw Danger again. :P

Edit: The music is SO awesome.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh man. The voice actors.

Campbell -and- Spike (Pretty sure, just an accent) in the same game? This...this is truly some kind of voodoo wonder.

And man. That Hat Editor. Yesss.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    exoplasm wrote: »
    I think you should just go back and do Raw Danger again. :P

Edit: The music is SO awesome.

Yeah it is, I love it so far!
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Oh man. The voice actors.

Campbell -and- Spike (Pretty sure, just an accent) in the same game? This...this is truly some kind of voodoo wonder.

And man. That Hat Editor. Yesss.

The Colonel and hats really seal the deal. Without those..

Kaseius on
  • Options
    Fashionist PigFashionist Pig Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Oh-ho. Well done on the Raw Danger let's play. Clearly this must involve some sort of live action coming up with this game or another? I sure hope there is some hot knife/gun-sucking action again. Wait... Did I just... Start a new fetish website?

I sure hope I get some cash for this.

Jesus fuck, so much spinning. I sure do wish I knew what it was like to hold men, though. That hat, THAT HAT MUST GO OVER THE PENIS AREA. I only see it there. Because your dick is a bad guy, clearly.

Edit: plus you have to one-up that guy's codpiece.

Fashionist Pig on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I could not possibly endorse this more.

You know you'll have to unlock every single character and costume accessory, right? :P

Far as I can tell, you're doing just fine, just dodge more.
    And always kill the guys with the TNT ASAP, they hurt a lot.

I think the coins add to your XP or maybe just score.

And don't worry, before long, you'll have more stuff than you know what to do with.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You know you'll have to unlock every single character and costume accessory, right? :P

Ha ha ha, no.

I GOT YOUR STUPID JEWEL SUIT IN RAW DANGER I'M NOT DOING THIS AGAIN

Kaseius on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Ha ha ha, no.

I GOT YOUR STUPID JEWEL SUIT IN RAW DANGER I'M NOT DOING THIS AGAIN

Costume accessories are easy to get(clearing levels on assorted difficulties and beating high scores, mostly).

The hidden characters, not so much.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    "So... have you seen any hats?"

I'll have to keep up with this one.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Clowns in hats?

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    This game is ridiculous.

Ridiculously awesome.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Holy crap, totally stoked for this game.

The community demands more episodes for the purpose of gathering hats and meeting fabulous men.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009

The community demands more episodes for the purpose of gathering hats and meeting fabulous men.

There shall be more episodes tomorrow! My PS2 is being used for the night to keep the children quiet. It works wonders! Hopefully there will be a 2nd one in the house soon.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited April 2009

There shall be more episodes tomorrow! My PS2 is being used for the night to keep the children quiet. It works wonders! Hopefully there will be a 2nd one in the house soon.

Referring to the PS2, or children? O_o

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AggroChanAggroChan __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2009
    I will be disappointed if by the end you are not a mass of hats with a slightly visible sword.

AggroChan on
    PSN + Zune :>
    Sillender.jpgSillender.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I am not waiting to breakfast tomorrow to crank this shit, pre-load ORN

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Even with the hat shenanigans, the only thing I'm finding odd is the sneakers he wears. I agree on Hat Shoes.

Looking forward to your future updates.

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Semi-big update tonight, but it's only two stages.

One was pretty easy..

THE OTHER WAS RAGE INDUCING ARGHARGAHRGAH

Kaseius on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think this is a good omen.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I think I know exactly what stage that is.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The Lord of HatsThe Lord of Hats Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Seeing the thread title was a pretty surreal experience. I shall watch this LP with interest.

The Lord of Hats on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Seeing the thread title was a pretty surreal experience. I shall watch this LP with interest.

Haha, I could only imagine. That's awesome

And to tide you guys over until later tonight when these are done rendering/uploading:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTQajRL-yX0

Kaseius on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Watching that video that the PS2 game I would like the most to see you play is shadow of the colossus. I think Wander climbing up a colossus to that tune would be hilarious.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Deflection is good for exactly one thing: snipers. Kills them in one deflect.

But some swords are better than others for that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    BeenieWeenieBeenieWeenie So Delicious So NutritiousRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Isn't that the same voice actor for the mayor that voiced the Colonel in Metal Gear Solid on the PS1?

EDIT:Never mind, I'm a retard. You said the actor's name right after I typed that.

BeenieWeenie on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Damn, that was almost painful to watch

painfully awesome.

edit: I have to admit, this game doesn't really seem.... fun.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Damn, that was almost painful to watch

painfully awesome.

edit: I have to admit, this game doesn't really seem.... fun.

It's.. alright. Probably a little less fun than BWT was. It seems like I'm the mediocre game LPer.. D:

Thankfully, I think it's only like 16 stages. No, I am not going to play multiple characters, cj. There's like TWENTY

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    There's no real new stories to my knowledge, just different gameplay. Just for the comedy value of playing as random cowboys or the kids(O_o).

Also, you can roll when you get knocked down, which takes away the damage,but I can't remember how offhand.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    After RAW DANGERERRRRR, I figured out the BEST game for Kaseius' next Let's Play!
    Lifeline!

The intro was like a combination of the intros for Disaster Report and Raw Danger. A security cam overlooks a party before the whole room shakes.

(Because the space levees broke.)

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I found some tips you could use in a Faq. I'll spoiler it in case you think you're too hardcore for that.
    From DEngel's FAQ from, well, where else? :P

Although jumping attacks are slower, they are quite strong and can protect you
    from explosive attacks that would otherwise damage you on the ground.

Almost every enemy has a small stream of smoke rising above them before they
    fire their weapon, so watch for it and react accordingly.

Bosses show up as purple dots on the radar, just in case you're having trouble
    telling them apart from their minions.

You cannot be harmed during ultimate master mode and you kill all minions with
    one hit. You also run constantly and can do much longer combos against bosses.
    The gauge also refills as you kill enemies, so use it wisely and attack
    everything that moves to get the most out of it.

You should dodge constantly as you move, especially in later stages. It allows
    you to reach enemies faster without being knocked back and lets you perform
    proper counters [which do double the damage of normal attacks] easier.

Don't forget to equip the accessories that you find. It's impossible to wear
    all of them at once, but they definitely increase your stats and help make
    fighting easier.

You can replay a stage with custom rules after you finish it once. The five
    rules provide extra challenge while you play the stage. By finishing the stage
    with these rules, a multiplier will increase both your score and your EXP after
    the stage is over. This helps a lot for leveling up, or trying to beat high
    scores.

Although it's tempting to put your points into other stats while you gain
    levels, you should dump them ALL into defense. The other stats are easily
    raised by accessories and your weapons as they level up.
    I highly suggest you follow that last one.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    B:L wrote: »
    After RAW DANGERERRRRR, I figured out the BEST game for Kaseius' next Let's Play!
    Lifeline!

The intro was like a combination of the intros for Disaster Report and Raw Danger. A security cam overlooks a party before the whole room shakes.

Wasn't that the game where you had to use the microphone to direct somebody via actual voice commands? Or was that a different game?

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lifeline!

Wasn't that the game where you had to use the microphone to direct somebody via actual voice commands? Or was that a different game?

That's the one. You control a waitress after a disaster. WITH THE POWER OF YOUR VOICE.

I figured it fell right into the adventure niche that Kaseius is good at.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius you should try defragging your hard drive if it's doing that just while you record. That should help or fix that whole stuttering/freezing thing unless it's another problem entirely.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius you should try defragging your hard drive if it's doing that just while you record. That should help or fix that whole stuttering/freezing thing unless it's another problem entirely.

Good idea, I'll give a shot.

It's either my hard drive isn't working fast enough to write the video while displaying the input (seriously, what? this program sucks), or something else is accessing my hard drive, causing the program to stuttering as it waits to write, or.. something. UGH!

Kaseius on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2009

Good idea, I'll give a shot.

It's either my hard drive isn't working fast enough to write the video while displaying the input (seriously, what? this program sucks), or something else is accessing my hard drive, causing the program to stuttering as it waits to write, or.. something. UGH!
    Usually stuff like this is because your hdd is badly fragmented so it has to work overtime trying to find free spaces to put the data in. Fairly common when you record a lot of videos so I'm thinking it should fix your problem.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Lifeline!

That's the one. You control a waitress after a disaster. WITH THE POWER OF YOUR VOICE.

That is the saddest thing.

"...Dance." "Okay." "Really?"

<3

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Basil wrote: »
    Lifeline!

That is the saddest thing.

"...Dance." "Okay." "Really?"

<3

"like a big dog? RUFF RUFF Or a little dog; arf arf?"

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Okay chiming in to suggest Kas play Lifeline next.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Kaseius is just so pleasant to listen to.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    <3 you guys

But Basil, is it pleasant in a funny kind of way or pleasant as in "man I'm gonna fall asleep, this is great to run before bed"? I should become one of those late-night radio announcers so I can talk nice and quiet and put the whole town to sleep.. but, I digress!

That guy's Lifeline cracked me up hardcore on p22, I only watched that and like one other, but oh man, the girl in that game is just so dense. Voice recognition is not the best!

Kaseius on