As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flight Sims and those Funny Stick Things

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited April 2009 in Games and Technology
I'm feeling the need to get into some combat flight simulator kinda stuff. I know microsoft makes something, and there's that IL2 Sturm game which is really old or something, but other than that, I am clueless. I also know that a joystick is the correct way to play.

So, what games should a noobie flight junkie pick up, and what kind of joystick should I go for? Hopefully for about 50ish bucks, and even better if it works on my 360.

SniperGuy on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I'm feeling the need to get into some combat flight simulator kinda stuff. I know microsoft makes something, and there's that IL2 Sturm game which is really old or something, but other than that, I am clueless. I also know that a joystick is the correct way to play.

So, what games should a noobie flight junkie pick up, and what kind of joystick should I go for? Hopefully for about 50ish bucks, and even better if it works on my 360.

You want a Yoke? [steering wheel] or a joystick?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joystick most likely, unless someone comes and espouses the massive benfits of the other one.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Joystick most likely, unless someone comes and espouses the massive benfits of the other one.

I'll have to ask my AFROTC bro's. They train with a yoke wheel, with an big HDTV for a monitor with the colonel giving instructions by their side. It honest-to-God helps them train. But if you're going to be playing for shits and giggles I can see why you'd want a stick.

Oh, man I flew a Cessna for about an hour once, and I was so scared shitless D:

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    The Aviator, if you can get past the horrible lettering on the side (AVI8R-1), is a really really damn good joystick.

STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM THE LOGITECH ATTACK 3 though. Terrible POS, died in about 2 months for me.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Logitech Xtreme 3d Pro.

Games: X-Wing. TIE Fighter. You need DOSBox for these guys but it's worth it. Oh yes it is.

Freespace. Freespace 2. Available off GoG.com. The only true contendors for the TIE Fighter throne.

Crimson Skies. Air pirates + awesome 30's music and voice acting. What more can you need?

IL2 Sturmovik: Durr. Buy the 1946 pack.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    I've played Freespace 2 before. Definitely good stuff. I did Crimson Skies on the 360. Sturmovik is apparently the shit everyone says.

Do x-wing and tie fighter still hold up graphically?

And is Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator worth anything?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I think Tie Fighter holds up just fine graphically, although X-wing doesn't as much. Military-style, angular ships on a black background don't take a lot of processing power.

Edit: Upon further investigation, it depends on which release of those games you play. If you play the later, collector's edition re-releases of those games, they both use the advancements from the Tie Fighter engine. If you play the X-Wing Collector's Series re-release, they both use the Xwing vs. Tie Fighter engine, which looks even better.

If you're just playing the original versions, which is what I was remembering, then Tie Fighter looks better.

Brym on
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    The Xtreme 3D pro looks pretty nice. Not too fancy, but functional. Any other recommendations for more bang for the buck, or is that about the best I can get with limited penny?

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I've played Freespace 2 before. Definitely good stuff. I did Crimson Skies on the 360. Sturmovik is apparently the shit everyone says.

Do x-wing and tie fighter still hold up graphically?

And is Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator worth anything?

Crimson Skies for the 360 is not the same game as Crimson Skies for the PC. Combat Flight Sim isn't worth it if you're got Sturmovik.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    A Saitek X52 stick and throttle system costs $100 rather than $50 (, it may well be overkill, and it won't work with the 360, but I thought I'd throw it out there. Probably not a first choice due to the budget thing, but the upsides are pretty self-explanatory.
    51H0R624GHL._SS400_.jpg
    Review

Also, as far as games to play, Allegiance and Independence War 1 & 2 haven't been mentioned yet. Stick & throttle is also good for mecha games that aren't Mechwarrior 3 (which is best played with a mouse).

Orogogus on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Ok, lemme help you.

The Logitech Extreme 3d Pro is fucking great, I have one. Best Stick I've ever had. Of course, there are sticks like the Saitek X52 HOTAS, but they're crazy expensive, and the logitech does the job just fine.

Games:
    - Il-2 1946 is the version with all the Il-2 games in. Il-2 is a realistic, serious combat flight sim, with all the realism you can get. Even taking off is hard, especially when you're flying a Corsair out of a Carrier flight deck. it probably uses all buttons in the keyboard plus the stick. It's fucking great too. You can reduce the realism on the settings page, but it's kinda like missing the point. And there is no story, just dynamic campaigns. Steam has it for 10 bucks, and it packs hundreds of flyable planes.

- I really liked HAWX, it's like Ace Combat on a PC. It looks really good and plays fine on a 360 pad. It's quite arcadey. Steam has it for 50 bucks, you can probably find it cheaper on stores.

- Lock On Gold is excellent for realistic modern air combat, but it has Starforce.

- Freespace 2 is the best looking space sim ever made, because Volition released the source code and a truckload of people spent hundreds of hours making it a hell lot better. It's now a completely modern-looking game. And it's hella fun to play. They also let you play Freespace 1 with the new engine. You can buy the games on GOG for cheap then apply the super engine.

- Wing Commander games are my favorites. I have all of them running fine on vista, thanks to DOSBox and fan patches for the Windows games. I really, really love playing them.

First there are the animated, DOS, 2D ones: Wing Commander 1 + Secret Missions 1&2; WC2 + Special Ops 1&2; Privateer (best Elite-like game ever IMO) and Armada (turn based strategy with space battles). All of them a really good and run fine on DOSBox, with full sound and voice for 2 and Priv. Oh, and you can import your pilot from WC1 all the way to Secret Ops 2, with SM1&2 and WC2 and SO1 in the way.

These games tell the story of the unnamed player pilot, who starts as a rookie at the glorious Tiger's Claw against the violent cat-like Kilrathi. Gameplay is kinda like WW2 Pacific Theater on space, with emphasis on guns, but with a few missiles. There are very pretty animated cutscenes and complex plots for the time. On the second game you've fallen from grace and have to prove your worth again. Privateer is about a different character, a mercenary in the frontier star systems. You can play any way you like, merc, bounty hunter, pirate, merchant.

Then there are the FMV, DOS, software 3D ones: Wing Commander 3&4, both with Mark Hammil, Malcolm McDowell, John Rhys-Davies and the Dharma Scientist guy from Lost; Privateer 2 with Clive Motherfucking Owen, John Hurt, although it's not Wing Commander in anything but the name, setting-wise.

WC3&4 continue the story of the hero from the 1st 2 games. WC3 takes place at humanity's darkest hour in the Kilrathi war, and how we managed to win against all odds thanks to the player (who's now called Christopher Blair, and played by Mark Hamill). WC4 is the story of a civil war that takes place after the end of the previous war. It's a lot more ambicious and has a more complex plot.

Then there are the two last games, Wing Commander Prophecy and Secret Ops, both using the same 3D accelerated engine. The first has FMV, and it's about a new crew a few years later. SO was a free to download game that can be played for free, and lacks the movies, but still has in-mission conversations.

You can get most of them for cheap on ebay, I guess.

- TIE Fighter and X-Wing are pretty good, but can get kinda ridiculous in the later campaigns. They look kinda rough today too. X-Wing Alliance looks better.

- There is also Starlancer, not bad, kinda wonky on modern pcs. Oh, and Crimson Skies, although really good, just won't run on modern GPUs.

- The X series has spaceships, but it's more of a Financial Tycoon game than a pew pew pew space combat game.

I guess that's it. There are a few more oldies and indies.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, Independence War.... IW1 is hell to make work on modern PCs, though. IWar 2 runs fine, is very pretty and playable, but they kinda throw you at the stormy ocean and tell you to drown less. It's not a friendly game.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2009
    Given the price and recommendations, I ordered the Extreme 3D pro. So hurray!

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    I bought the IL2 pack on Steam. I've never been so disgusted with a flight sim in my whole life. The "tutorials" are videos you watch but can't interact with, so have to remember everything you watched 10 minutes ago. I had problems with the game being buggy on controls, they either didn't work, or had strange behavior, like landing gear not raising 90% of the time, or the rudder swining 100% even if I went into the joystick setup screen to reduce the yaw amount. Even the most aerobatic planes would tip stall by thinking about turning too far and even the P51 flew like a fat lady at the best of times. Even with my cranked up resolution, it was impossible to see anything until you were already on top of it and in case of dogfights that is already too late. I've played lots of flight simulators since the original Flight Sim on Apple II, but I've never been more frustrated with a game than this one, probably because it showed so much promise. Maybe the Steam version just sucks, I don't know.

Man, I really miss the Xwing/Tie series. I still have all the discs, but I'd rather they came out with something a tad more modern that takes advantage of newer hardware and higher resolutions. Lucasarts used to turn out some really awesome games, and I can't think of even one I'd play now.

I have the Extreme 3D Pro as well. It's a great joystick, but I haven't found any recent games that needed a good joystick.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    What about X-Plane? I use to play the shit out of that back in the day. Is it even around anymore?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    verpakeyesverpakeyes Registered User regular
    edited April 2009
    Tutorials in flight sims have gone the way of the dodo, its beyond frustrating that game designers would think it a good idea to make a wonderfully complex game and then give you no god damn way of figuring out what to do with it. IL2 and DCS:Blackshark are both fine examples of this.

verpakeyes on
    pajoewangsexcrow.jpgXBOX live: verpa 15