As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DnD 4E] Broken Chains (Discussion Thread)

DenadaDenada Registered User regular
edited January 2011 in Critical Failures
Broken Chains
a Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition PbP campaign for five evil characters

Redfrost Cavern, a frozen scar on the northern edge of the world, has long been a source of corruption in the kingdom of Cinosa. From its depths rise legions of dark soldiers, united under one banner for the destruction of mankind. The war brought by these legions has raged for years, and is nearing an end.

Hatierre Keep, the heart of the Cinosan military and the kingdom's single beacon of hope, is about to fall. You are the Red Edge, the elite strike force of the Dark Lord Arkhaziel. You dispense terror and destruction everywhere you go. You enforce your will upon the strong and subjugate the weak. And you will bring an end to Hatierre Keep and all who serve in it.

You will take their lives. You will take their freedom. You will come back in victory, or not at all.

---

Submissions are now closed.

Thanks to everyone who submitted a character. Your interest and enthusiasm are very much appreciated. With over 30 submissions, narrowing it down to only 5 was not easy. Best of luck to everyone who wasn't selected.

The Party:
Rius: Rathas, Tiefling Warlord
robp85: Skard, Shifter Warden
MolotovCockatoo: Maelvictus, Human Invoker
Acratia: Spyre, Elf Avenger
Fiaryn: Corianan, Genasi Barbarian

The game thread will go up on Friday, May 22nd. The first few posts will be for introductions, background, and stage-setting. The game proper will get going on Monday. Those of you in the party should get your characters dialed in and your myth-weavers sheets filled out and error-checked.

Thanks again to everyone who expressed an interest in playing. Without you I would be very bored.

Denada on

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Two characters, one name! Couldn't think of much else for a Tiefling, and all the random sample names sound pretty lousy. I would prefer to play either, of course, but if I had to choose I think I would prefer my Wizard (who still needs powers and rituals filled out in his Myth-Weavers sheet. I ran out of time today, might be able to work on it tonight.)

Rathas, Tiefling Wizard/Turathi Highborn

Rathas is a pyromancer/illusionist sort of wizard. He embraces his Tiefling heritage and seeks to bring about once more the heady days when his kind almost ruled the world. He is definitely a brutal wizard, favoring spectacular explosions of fire and debilitating illusions that torment his foes and alter the battlefield. Yet in spite of this he has developed an uncanny control over his spells and can shape them to spare his allies. After all, you can't conquer the world by yourself!

Appearance and Background:
    Rathas' appearance is fairly average, for a Tiefling. He has muddy red tinted skin, black horns, black hair and red eyes. He is tall and thin, wrapped in a black hooded robe; circling his head is an ancient Tiefling crown made of red-tinted metal. A worn leather pouch at his belt holds his orb when he's not using it to incinerate his foes (if they're lucky) or drive them insane (if they're not.) Hidden away in his pack is his spellbook; an infernal tome, bound in red leather with pages that appear to have been blackened in fire, yet he can read them perfectly fine.

'Tiefling', they call me. 'Hellspawn', 'Devil Worshiper', 'Demented'... all technically true, I suppose. Except the last. They confuse me with what becomes of my enemies. They wonder why one such as me would serve under the Dark Lord. They're too blind to realize the truth, which is very simple... Dark Lord Arkhaziel and I are merely walking the same path.

Every Tiefling owes his life to our ancestors. Originally humans who sought to conquer the world; the pact they made with the Nine Hells was brilliant. Bael Turath grew immense, an empire with power and reach nearly covering the world! That is, until it all came crashing down. Dragonborn of Arkhosia be damned, they were so close! What a different place this world would be had my ancestors succeeded. But no matter.

The blood of those firstborn Tieflings runs strong through my veins. I have studied ancient texts, awoken powers within my body and mind that have not been seen in hundreds of years. I have walked through lost ruins of Tiefling cities, hidden from mortal sight, pulled down into the Nine Hells. Bael Turath may be long gone, but the world is ripe for the picking...

And I will not repeat the mistakes of my ancestors.

Character Builder Summary:
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
    Rathas, level 11
    Tiefling, Wizard, Turathi Highborn
    Arcane Implement Mastery: Orb of Deception

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 9, Con 13, Dex 14, Int 21, Wis 14, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 12, Dex 13, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 14.

AC: 23 Fort: 18 Reflex: 22 Will: 24
    HP: 73 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +15, Diplomacy +14, Religion +15, History +15

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +7, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +7, Endurance +6, Heal +7, Insight +7, Intimidate +9, Nature +7, Perception +7, Stealth +9, Streetwise +9, Thievery +7, Athletics +4

FEATS
    Wizard: Ritual Caster
    Level 1: Toughness
    Level 2: Implement Expertise (orb)
    Level 4: Wrathful Magic
    Level 6: Destructive Wizardry
    Level 8: Enlarge Spell
    Level 10: Coordinated Explosion
    Level 11: Fiery Rebuke

POWERS
    Wizard at-will 1: Phantom Bolt
    Wizard at-will 1: Magic Missile
    Wizard encounter 1: Force Orb
    Wizard daily 1: Horrid Whispers
    Wizard daily 1 Spellbook: Flaming Sphere
    Wizard utility 2: Feather Fall
    Wizard utility 2 Spellbook: Expeditious Retreat
    Wizard encounter 3: Fire Shroud
    Wizard daily 5: Grasp of the Grave
    Wizard daily 5 Spellbook: Fireball
    Wizard utility 6: Emerald Eye
    Wizard utility 6 Spellbook: Dispel Magic
    Wizard encounter 7: Enemies Abound
    Wizard daily 9: Visions of Ruin
    Wizard daily 9 Spellbook: Face of Death
    Wizard utility 10: Mass Resistance
    Wizard utility 10 Spellbook: Arcane Gate

ITEMS
    Spellbook, Irrefutable Githweave Armor +3, Crown of Infernal Legacy (heroic tier), Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Orb of Mental Dominion +3, Adventurer's Kit, Residuum (Any)

Rathas, Tiefling Warlord/Infernal Strategist

(The other) Rathas is also quite an interesting character. Built around the concept that anything he can do, he and his allies can do better, he offers a tactical advantage for every situation. Equally able to support melee and ranged allies, he can free his companions from debilitating effects and empower them to make devastating attacks. If one of the many Barbarians in this thread makes it into the party, he'll probably be very happy to see Iron Dragon Charge =)

Appearance and Background:
    Standing tall, slender yet powerfully built, with silver eyes, long dark blue hair and lightly tanned skin with blue hues, Rathas is an intimidating sight. Matching his unusual appearance are his choice of arms and armaments; his single weapon is a long blackened metal spear, decorated with whorls and runes that hearken back to the ancient days of Bael Turoth. In battle, his spear is covered in a steady blue fire that licks at his hand and arm sedately, yet explodes into searing flame when he strikes at his foe. He wears the hide of a spectral panther, magically augmented to bestow upon him that animal's useful features; namely enhanced reaction time and invisibility.

Quiet speculation and whispers among the lesser ranks of the Dark Lord's army contest the reason for his unusual appearance. Redfrost Cavern has cold winters, and Rathas was born during a particularly devastating frost. Originally thought to be a runt, a weakling, even at a young age Rathas surprised his tutors with his combination of intellect and charisma. A childhood spent defending himself from those who assumed him to be an easy target gave him strength to match. Eventually, his future became clear; the warring nature of those who lived in Redfrost combined with his adaptability led to his selection for command.

Rathas proved to be an excellent battle leader, quick witted and able to both conform to and confound the tactics of his enemies. It wasn't long before he found himself being chosen to lead the most important sorties; to command the most crucial missions. Whatever the situation, whatever the requirements placed on him by his superiors, he finds a way to secure victory. Recently he has begun to assemble a collection of his musings on the subject of war, unaware that he walks in the footsteps of Malachi, the greatest Tiefling commander in history.

Character Builder Summary:
    Rathas, level 11
    Tiefling, Warlord, Infernal Strategist
    Commanding Presence: Resourceful Presence

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 19, Con 14, Dex 11, Int 18, Wis 9, Cha 18.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 13, Dex 10, Int 14, Wis 8, Cha 14.

AC: 26 Fort: 24 Reflex: 22 Will: 23
    HP: 76 Surges: 9 Surge Value: 19

TRAINED SKILLS
    History +14, Intimidate +14, Athletics +15, Diplomacy +14

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +4, Arcana +9, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +6, Heal +4, Insight +4, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +9, Stealth +6, Streetwise +9, Thievery +4

FEATS
    Level 1: Weapon Proficiency (Tratnyr)
    Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Spear)
    Level 4: Scion of the Gods
    Level 6: Hellfire Blood
    Level 8: Saving Inspiration
    Level 10: Harlequin Style
    Level 11: Combat Commander

POWERS
    Warlord at-will 1: Wolf Pack Tactics
    Warlord at-will 1: Brash Assault
    Warlord encounter 1: Hammer Formation
    Warlord daily 1: Lead the Attack
    Warlord utility 2: Shake It Off
    Warlord encounter 3: Bloody Ending
    Warlord daily 5: Stand the Fallen
    Warlord utility 6: Guileful Switch
    Warlord encounter 7: Stirring Force
    Warlord daily 9: Iron Dragon Charge
    Warlord utility 10: Instant Planning

ITEMS
    Flaming Tratnyr +2, Feytouched Earthhide Armor +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Healer's Sash (paragon tier), Light Shield, Adventurer's Kit, Climber's Kit

Rius on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Here's Arcturus

Background:
    Arcturus came from a long line of soldiers. His grandfather a commander of some renown, Arcturus hoped to gain entrance into the military as well. But his aggressiveness and and hostility to those even close to him was recognized by recruiters before he even had a chance to enter. Disheartened and bitter about the rejection, Arcturus took to mercenary work for several years, where he was mentored in a dangerous and brutal form of two-bladed fighting. A natural at this unique fighting form, he found some renown of his own as a deadly and ruthless fighter who was relentless in completing any job.

Appearance:
    Arcturus is a tall, dark skinned man with short black hair and deep brown eyes. he wears a shining set of magic chain mail armor. The individual links having a glistening luster that gives him away in combat, and is a testament to his arrogance. On his muscled forearms are wrapped a pair of silvery magical gauntlets that lead down to a pair of magic metal gauntlets that seem too large for him which you can usually find resting on the hilts of the two powerful bastard sword attached to his hips.

Personality:
    An aggressive and reckless fighter, Arcturus prefers to use a combination of brute force and underhanded tactics to succeed in battle.
    Outside of battle, Arcturus acts not much more better than a common, thug. The only thing that seems to have made him exceed others of his ilk in this regard is his natural prowess in combat.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Dear Lord, I utterly missed this. Expect me to be back with a more substantive character post... tomorrow.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Dear Lord, I utterly missed this. Expect me to be back with a more substantive character post... tomorrow.

You slackers are the reason I usually have the first character posted in a recruitment thread. :P

On second thought that's probably not so great considering I am only in 1 game.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle:
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    So is this the game for TPKs based on day 1 infighting? :V

(Oh god I'm just kidding don't hate me)

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    hjparcinshjparcins Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Awesome, I love evil campaigns. This gives me a chance to submit a character I just wrote up for another PbP that I didn't get in to - maybe it was for the best, because this guy works much better as an evil dude.

Meet Verek, Human Warlock (Dark Pact), Nightmare Weaver Paragon Path.

I'll just drop his background in here for now and work on his appearance and personality traits and shit later when I have more time. Also, the sheet may be a bit underpopulated for now, but I'll fix it. The important stuff is there.

Background:
    Verek walked cautiously down the wooded path, right hand gripping his cudgel so tightly that he could feel his pulse throb halfway up his arm. It had been blessed by the local priest for battling the evil that would surely be faced, but Verek had little confidence in the potency of the benediction.

He had left before dawn and from all indications the trip should not have been a long one; however, as he neared his destination the sun seemed to set more rapidly, and with the quickening darkness came a change in the surrounding forest. The trees gradually appeared barer and the reassuring ambient sounds of the wilderness subsided. Looking toward the retreating daylight, the young man’s stomach dropped and dread filled his thoughts. Twilight had arrived unnaturally fast, and soon it would be dark. Verek took a deep breath and pressed on. It was too late to turn back, and he certainly wouldn’t be welcome.

The village of Innsvale had known about the witch for some time, in fact had tolerated her presence for decades. Indeed, the townspeople quickly learned to avoid the creature after being exposed to her hideous magic. Chasing a wounded deer, two hunters happened upon a hovel in a part of the forest usually avoided for its strange foreboding. A day later, the men came stumbling into Innsvale just past noon, eyes already crusted over and near-blind with disease. The men were forced to the outskirts of the village where they lingered for days, moaning in pain and screaming dire warnings of the wretch they had encountered. The militiamen ordered to keep the afflicted men at bay with spears and flame told stories of the putrid, rotting holes where the hunters’ eyes had been and the decaying skin of their exposed limbs sloughing from the muscle beneath.

After the hunters expired, a village council meeting was called and the leaders of the community almost came to blows over how the situation should be resolved. Ultimately, the decision was made to give the witch a wide berth and see what might transpire. Perhaps, they reasoned, she just wanted to be left alone. That was over 60 years ago.

They say every generation must relearn the mistakes of the past. In Innsvale, a few generations were required before the witch was relegated to a mere bedtime story used to keep rambunctious children in line. As the fear in the witch subsided, so ultimately did the caution that the more adventurous residents of Innsvale exercised when exploring the section of forest that the witch allegedly called home.

Until recently, the one who had strayed closest to the storied hovel was the council elder’s son, Alec, and his subsequent disappearance was a catastrophe. Alec was a paragon of the community and he was being groomed to join the council sooner than any before him. The fact that he had gone missing threw the village into uproar. The council concluded that a brave young man must be sent to locate the missing golden child and then report back with the exact whereabouts of the witch’s home so that a decisive strike could be made against her. The council elder’s dislike for Verek – the man courting his daughter, Natalia – certainly played a role in the council’s choice regarding who would make the best ‘volunteer’ for the deadly mission.

And so, with an entire village praying for Alec’s safe return, Verek made his way into the forest.

Night fell and Verek found the witch’s hovel, but it was empty. Reluctantly, he surveyed the single ancient room that the witch had undoubtedly called home for centuries. Unholy symbols adorned the walls and old blood stained the floor in many places. Approaching the back end of the room, Verek perceived a faint glow in the distance through a small window. Peering through, a flickering orange light could be seen just over the crest of a nearby hill – surely, it had to be a fire. Shuddering involuntarily as he made his way back to the door, Verek prepared to encroach on the witch’s infernal rite.

Whether out of bravery or some otherworldly draw, Verek circled the hill and approached the hag from her flank. Believing his advance had gone unnoticed, Verek took a moment in an attempt to fathom what he was witnessing. The witch was completely nude and impossibly thin. Papery gray skin hung loosely from her bones. Near the fire, suspended on an x-shaped wooden platform was Alec, arms and legs spread and tied in place. Alec’s chest was bare and in it deep runes were raked into his flesh. He seemed only semiconscious but clearly in agony.

A sudden movement jolted Verek back to the matter at hand, but too late. The witch had noticed him. Her speed was incredible in light of her odd, jerky gait, and she quickly arrived at where the young man stood, placing a curved knife at his throat. The witch’s eyes darted to and fro rapidly, as if searching for a hidden enemy.

“It failed!” she hissed in a voice tormented by countless years. “It was supposed to work. This is the day, why has he betrayed me once more?”

Verek stared at the knife. He dropped his cudgel, the strength in his arms sapped by pure horror. The witch, seeing Verek’s trembling hands, removed the knife from his throat and began laughing uncontrollably. Wads of green phlegm and viscous, foul-smelling spit splattered on Verek’s face. The witch retreated a few steps and crouched down in a simian posture. Verek, frozen in fear, could only look on while the witch spoke.

“I tire of this life, child, but he will not let me die. If it is not my time to pass, then it shall be yours, in unbridled pain and putrescence. And then, I will feast on the bits of meat that still cling to your bones.”

The witch began speaking in a guttural, alien tongue and pointing at the spot where Verek stood. Verek recalled the story of the hunters and he attempted to flee, but he was rooted in place. Abruptly, the witch stopped and her head cocked to one side as if to listen. Her eyes darted about even faster. A moment passed, but before Verek’s paralyzing fear could be replaced by instinct a voice was heard, like a thousand tormented souls whispering and screaming in unison.

“Yes, I tire of your life too, my slave. You ceased entertaining me long ago. You offer no resistance, and it seems that I must start anew. I reject your offering, wretch. I choose of my own accord.”

Instantly, the witch’s eyes widened and she stood bolt upright. A second later she was wracked with convulsions. As Verek looked on, the witch began to die in the most gruesome fashion, shrieking so loudly that Verek fell to his knees and covered his ears. First, the few teeth remaining in the witch’s mouth were violently pulled out, the sockets gushing rivulets of black blood. Next, the creature’s eyes shriveled in their orbits and the left side of its skull caved in with a loud, wet crack. Starting with each thumb, the witch’s fingers began to bend until they snapped consecutively. Clearly, some unseen force was wreaking absolute destruction upon the miserable thing. Within minutes, the formerly menacing figure was dead, every aspect of its body bent or twisted into unnatural angles. At once, the whispering screams began again.

“You were brave to make the journey here, human. Your friend by the fire, foolish.”

The unseen entity caused the wooden platform to tip backward and fall into the fire. If Alec was not awake before, he certainly was now. His tortured screams added emphasis to what the voice said next.

“I make an offer of two extremes. The easy way is to join in their death. The challenge is to live, and in doing so to accept my boon. With the power I give you will come temptation for greater power. I invite you to give in to this temptation, but ultimately the choice is yours. The one before you attempted to resist, hiding away from the world. Eventually it drove her insane, and her resistance was for naught.”

The voice began to waver.

“But I grow unsteady in this world. Accept me quickly, so that I may tether my power here once more. I will be weak at first, as I give unto you my strength. Gradually I will grow stronger, and then so shall you. When your fragile mind can no longer retain my power, or when your form grows too decrepit to persist in being, you will find me a new focus. Only then will you be free of this pact. Now, choose.”

At once Verek began to feel a number of cold hands wrap around his limbs. With every passing second they grew tighter, digging into the flesh of his arms and legs. Slowly, the hands began pulling outward, stretching him in four directions.

Panicking, Verek exercised his only option.

“I accept!”

Oh, and I've never been in a PbP before, but not for lack of trying.

hjparcins on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Play by post or a VTT game?

I answered your PM and updated the OP, but for the benefit of anyone that might miss the edit:

This is a PbP game. You should enjoy the PbP format if you want to be a part of this game.

Denada on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    First of all: Damnit Denada, freaking stealing my thunder and whatnot. I was the first to make an evil campaign.

Secondly: Woot! Paragon tier PbP! Will excessive groveling and/or unreasonably large amounts of ass-kissing do anything to ensure that I get in on this? Because if I can be all 31 flavors of sycophantic.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I give you Ugbert, Goblin Wild Magic Sorcerer

Crunchy Stuff
    Ugbert, level 11
    Goblin, Sorcerer, Demonskin Adept
    Build: Chaos Sorcerer
    Spell Source: Wild Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 11, Con 12, Dex 19, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 10, Con 11, Dex 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 18.

AC: 23 Fort: 20 Reflex: 24 Will: 27
    HP: 74 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +10, Streetwise +16, Diplomacy +16, Athletics +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +9, Bluff +11, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +6, Heal +4, History +5, Insight +4, Intimidate +13, Nature +4, Perception +4, Religion +5, Stealth +11, Thievery +11

FEATS
    Level 1: Armor Proficiency (Leather)
    Level 2: Sorcerous Blade Channeling
    Level 4: Dual Implement Spellcaster
    Level 6: Arcane Familiar
    Level 8: Arcane Spellfury
    Level 10: Implement Expertise (Light Blade)
    Level 11: Paragon Defenses

POWERS
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Chaos Bolt
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
    Sorcerer encounter 1: Bedeviling Burst
    Sorcerer daily 1: Dazzling Ray
    Sorcerer utility 2: Elemental Shift
    Sorcerer encounter 3: Dancing Lightning
    Sorcerer daily 5: Thunder Leap
    Sorcerer utility 6: Chaotic Defense
    Sorcerer encounter 7: Crushing Sphere
    Sorcerer daily 9: Staggering Blast
    Sorcerer utility 10: Narrow Escape

ITEMS
    Deathcut Leather Armor +2, Goblin Totem Dagger +3, Amulet of Protection +3, Magic Dagger +2, Bracers of Defense (heroic tier)

Background:
    Ugbert was born as the runt of his litter, constantly forced to compete with his brothers and sisters for even the most basic items needed for survival. Despite the hardships he faced, his sheer force of will caused him to persevere, something which his parents recognized and applauded. He also became adept at sowing conflict between his siblings, creating alliances here and there in order to stay fed and safe. As he grew older, random events began to occur which affected him favorably. One of his brothers was zapped by lightning. His sister spontaneously combusted. Another brother melted for no apparent reason.

After more and more of his siblings began to die out, Ugbert was abandoned by his family. He made his way into a city, where he took a series of dead end jobs which also failed to pan out. The bakery he worked in went out of business after many of its customers were mysteriously poisoned. The forge closed after it was drenched in a mysterious flood. The farm where he worked as a hired hand was shut down after its crops suddenly died one day.

It began to dawn on Ugbert that these seemingly unrelated events all shared one thing in common: himself. One day a demon named Skram literally fell out of the sky, after inadvertently transporting himself from his native plane. Ugbert picked up the ugly little creature and they've been constant companions ever since. Skram has since served to help Ugbert in developing his true power. The true reason for Skram sticking by Ugbert remains to be seen, but he's likely trying to return to his home dimension.

Ugbert is a survivor. First he had to cling to life as the smallest of his siblings. Then he had to scrape a living on his own. After developing his power, Ugbert serves the Dark Lord because he wants to be on the winning team, and because the pay is good.

He and Skram are an interesting pair. They bicker like an old married couple, but each has an undeniable affection for the other.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    The EverymanThe Everyman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Oh, I am very, very interested. I do think I will submit a bard.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Paragon+ and evil? Do want!
    I will be back later (as soon as I get to my CB at home), with a Drow Sorcerer I think.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I've got my sheet done, but I want to finish up my background before I go ahead and post. I'll get to it sometime tomorrow.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So my Windows computer (the one with Character Builder on it) seems to have gone on strike. I spent about 45 minutes plugging powers into myth-weavers manually, and then decided that I didn't like the concept.

If I can get CB working, I'll be submitting a Taclord of some description -- possibly a minotaur, but I'm not sure yet.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Alecthar wrote: »
    First of all: Damnit Denada, freaking stealing my thunder and whatnot. I was the first to make an evil campaign.

Secondly: Woot! Paragon tier PbP! Will excessive groveling and/or unreasonably large amounts of ass-kissing do anything to ensure that I get in on this? Because if I can be all 31 flavors of sycophantic.

Well, yours is comedic evil, which is definitely a different flavor than this campaign, which is "serious business" evil. Both are equally valid. And you'll always have the satisfaction of knowing yours was first, and will probably be the only one with a gelatinous cube PC. There will be a distinct lack of menacing shlorps in this game, at least from the PC side.

Denada on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Denada wrote: »

Well, yours is comedic evil, which is definitely a different flavor than this campaign, which is "serious business" evil. Both are equally valid. And you'll always have the satisfaction of knowing yours was first, and will probably be the only one with a gelatinous cube PC. There will be a distinct lack of menacing shlorps in this game, at least from the PC side.

I may have come off otherwise, but I was joking, just so you know.

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I may have come off otherwise, but I was joking, just so you know.

I knew you were joking, don't worry. You still have a chance. :wink:

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So in Paragon is owning a mount more or less de rigeur? Do standard mounts count as 'free equipment'?

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    So in Paragon is owning a mount more or less de rigeur? Do standard mounts count as 'free equipment'?

You can assume that you have a warhorse, but anything beyond that you'll have to spend money on.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Cool, thanks.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I like the idea of building an evil warlord or paladin, but in the case of the latter I wonder about all the inevitable divine/radiant powers that he'll have. I would imagine that Divine doesn't necessarily have to equal Good, but what about the radiant stuff? Do evil gods grant radiant powers? Is it as simple as just substituting the word "Necrotic" for "Radiant"?

What about a cleric? Does "Turn Undead" become "Turn the Living"?

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I believe the Dungeon Master's Guide said something about reflavoring Radiant powers as Necrotic for Evil Clerics/Paladins. 'Tis up to Denada of course though, ultimately.

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just use "divine" energy instead. It can manifest in any way. Or, I'd say so, anyway.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    InkoateInkoate Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Taelen Kairon, Tiefling Warlord

Background:
    Abandoned by his parents as a very young child, Taelen grew up on the streets of a smallish city. He learned quickly of the hatred and fear that characterized humans' attitudes toward Teiflings. Without another option, but being a large and strong guy, Taelen joined his city's guard, where he was lucky to meet the Chief of the Guard, who cared less that Taelen was a Teifling and more that he was able and willing to learn. Taelen studied under the Chief for years, learning all he could about battle tactics and the skills of leadership.

Despite the leadership and care of the Chief, and Taelen's crucial role in defending the town a number of times from various threats, Taelen was never welcomed by his neighbors. Frustrated by their hatred, he turned his back on showing humans compassion if they did not deserve it.

Taelen left to strike out in the world, adventure with others of similar persuasions and hone his tactical and leadership abilities.

Appearance:
    Of average height and weight, but not of average skin tone. Taelen's skin runs to the reddish side. He's bulky and muscled, but not outrageously so. Despite being obviously a Teifling, he is not withdrawn and somber like some of his fellows. He has an easy smile and does his best to overcome the stereotypes associated with his race.

Inkoate on
    The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Rius wrote: »
    I like the idea of building an evil warlord or paladin, but in the case of the latter I wonder about all the inevitable divine/radiant powers that he'll have. I would imagine that Divine doesn't necessarily have to equal Good, but what about the radiant stuff? Do evil gods grant radiant powers? Is it as simple as just substituting the word "Necrotic" for "Radiant"?

What about a cleric? Does "Turn Undead" become "Turn the Living"?

Depending on the god you chose, you could re-flavor radiant powers into necrotic. This means anything with the radiant keyword would instead have the necrotic keyword, and anything that does radiant damage would instead do necrotic damage. This obviously has an impact if you're fighting things with necrotic resistances or vulnerabilities, although I'm not saying that you're necessarily going to be doing that a lot.

Turn Undead will always be Turn Undead. Even gods of the undead need to be able to smack up their followers. You don't have to re-flavor powers if you don't want to, though. Radiant damage isn't necessarily hope-lasers and rainbows. It's just the searing power of a divine being, whether that divinity is good, evil, or "other".

Denada on
  • Options
    robp85robp85 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Skard, the shifter warden from the tribe of Kothan.

Backstory:
    Skard was born to a tribe of shifters like himself. At a young age, he had a proficiency as a fighter, picking up most weapons and wielding them with deadly precision. The tribe, named Kothan, was a brutal tribe where the strongest survived and the weakest many times were killed or left to die away from the pack. Because of this, Skard had to learn early on how to fight and protect himself.

As he aged, his skill increased. He grew into a wild predator and many times even looked like a panther as he attacked his adversaries ruthlessly. His animal instinct would seemingly take over as he fought making his attacks graceful and powerful.

As he reached his late teens, while others in his tribe grew large, he stayed small. His diminutive stature was cause for much ridicule and Skard got into many fights. Sometimes he would win them, other times he would lose.

One of those accounts is described here. As Skard took care of his daily duties, one of the other shifters came by mocking him for being small and weak. Without a word and with little warning, Skard sprung at his opponent. The other shifter did not expect the attack to come so quickly and so Skard landed a brutal slash across the mockers cheek using his hands. Jumping off the surprised opponent, Skard pulled his shield and pick out, preparing to kill this man that doubted his strength. The other shifter jumped to his feet and pulled out a greatsword. "Bah, if that's what he's going to fight me with, this'll be no problem," Skard thought to himself. He had fought too many of these warriors he thought that bigger meant better. Charging in, Skard easily deflected the shifter's attack. He swung his pick from behind his shield into the foot of his target as he passed by him. Spinning around, he pulled the pick from the foot and thrusted it into the back of his opponent's knee. The pick's pointy end jutted out the other side of his target's leg. A howl was released from the shifter's mouth as he dropped to the ground. Blood soaked the ground as Skard circled his target for the final blow. Once again, Skard deflected the blow of the shifter. With no emotion on his face, Skard asks, "Who's the weak one now?" The crunch that ensued would've been sickening to most people. Skard's pick was planted into the skull of the helpless warrior. He was dead before hitting the ground. Skard allowed a small smile to disrupt his normally stoic expression.

The years wore on. He got bored with his tribe. His thirst for power and desire to prove himself grew as his status in his clan grew. With little warning to the Kothan tribe, Skard left to take on more difficult challenges. Traveling northward eventually led this wanderer to Redfrost Cavern where he saw a great army with many powerful warriors. Looking to fight with them, he joined their lower ranks. His skill with his pick and shield and his ability to protect those around him caused him to gain notoriety with the Cinosan military while gaining popularity with those higher up in the dark army. He even piqued the interest of a Dark Lord, Arkhaziel. He now fights to prove that he is worthy of the most difficult of tasks as his thirst for power and a challenge presses him onward.

Appearance:
    He's quite short for a shifter coming in at only 5'4". He has long black hair tied into a ponytail that hangs down just below his neck. It's definitely curly but is pulled tightly enough that the curls are less pronounced. His eyes are a dark brown and can easily be mistaken for black if one doesn't pay close enough attention. He has long, sharp fangs in his mouth. His skin is a golden brown. His dark brown hide armor is hidden underneath a large black fur coat he made long ago. He wears his shield on his back and his pick hangs from his belt.

Personality Traits:
    Quiet - Doesn't really like talking with people, would rather fight than talk
    Force solves all his problems
    He will not back down from a challenge
    Power is all that matters
    He has a stoic expression almost always on his face
    He seems to be emotionless
    Ruthless
    He does not show mercy

robp85 on
    Skard, Shifter Warden
    Basic Attack +26 vs AC -- Damage 1d10+19 (+5 if enemy is prone) (+2 if Longtooth Shifting is active)
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Given that the Monk playtest rules are allowed, does that mean that non-monks can take
    Focused Expertise
    Benefit: Choose a weapon that you can wield
    as an implement. You gain a +1 bonus to attack
    rolls with any implement or weapon power you use
    through that weapon. The bonus increases to +2 at
    15th level and +3 at 25th level.
    Special: You can take this feat more than once.
    Each time you take this feat, choose a different
    weapon that you can wield as an implement. This
    bonus is not cumulative with the one provided by
    Implement Expertise or Weapon Expertise.
    ?
    It doesn't seem to be limited to monks, just thrown in to the same play-test...

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Haven't played in a PbP before, but I've been itching to do something with a character like this for a while, so I figure I might as well throw my hat into the ring. I'll get the sheet up in a bit, once I've gotten it into mythweavers from the character builder. Edit: Sheet added

Tock, Gnome Warlock/Rogue

Background:
    Tock grew up in the hinterlands of the Feywild, in a gnome warren; as with most gnomes, he took a great deal of interest in stealth and secrecy, but Tock, as a child, tended sharply towards the mischevious. Traveling frequently between his home in the Feywild and remote settlements in the world, his early pranks and practical jokes over time took a turn for the malicious, eventually graduating to pickpocketry and petty theft, which in turn gave way to elaborate cons and larger heists, until at the height of his criminal career, Tock came to believe that the most valuable haul of all was information; it was, after all, light to carry and easy to fence, and often fetched quite a high price to the right buyer.
    So, Tock became a spy and an information merchant, often using his considerable powers of stealth to gather saleable material. Searching for better challenges and more interesting venues, he eventually found his way into the service of the Red Edge, where his methods of information gathering have expanded to include interrogation and occasionally torture. As an infiltrator, interrogator, and assassin, his service to the Edge has been invaluable, although while he may be respected in some circles he is rarely personally liked by anyone; his disconcerting demeanor, in conjunction with the knowledge that the faint smile he wears when meeting you would be exactly the same one he'd wear when rooting around the inside of your nightmare-tormented brain for valuable data, tend to be a bit of a social turnoff.

Appearance:
    Short even for a gnome, with grey hair and black eyes, wearing loose cloth and leather clothes which appear to be mottled brown and grey, enhancing the impression that he seems always to be wreathed in shadow. He appears calm and friendly even at times when one would expect emotional extremes, but his faint smiles, lilting tone, and blank looks give him an eerie countenance and make him difficult to read. "Disconcerting" is by far the best word to describe his overall demeanor, although "creepy little bastard" seems to, historically speaking, be in more common use, at least when out of earshot.

Personality:
    Tock is enthusiastic about his interests, which by this point in his life revolve primarily around secrets, as well as the collection and extraction thereof, although he often becomes, at least briefly, somewhat curious about some aspect of whatever individual or situation he is presented with. He is not outright evil so much as simply uninterested in morality, and spends much of his time cheerfully pursuing whatever has caught his attention. He is exceedingly calm even in the face of danger or adversity, in large part because there is very little that he takes seriously, choosing instead to see even deadly serious situations as a game and an interesting challenge. However disconnected from normal humanity he may seem, he is measured and competent, and rarely behaves rashly unless circumstances call for it.

Aaand Bonus Character Interaction Scene!:
    Two guards stood, somewhat nervously, outside a holding cell door deep underground. Shifting his weight, the tallor one appeared about to speak when the door suddenly thunked open after being sealed for several hours. A small, friendly voice issued from it, clearly speaking to someone else in the room.

"Thank you; you've been very helpful. I have other duties to attend to, now; enjoy your stay."

The door completed its swing as a small gnome, barely three feet high, exited the cell, finishing up some notes before folding his paper and sealing it shut with a brief arcane gesture. He was smiling brightly, paying little attention to the guards until his letter was complete.

The taller guard frowned.

'Enjoy your stay'? I've orders to execute him the moment we get what we need; he's in a prison at the bottom of what I have heard him personally refer to as a 'pit into hell'. 'Enjoy your stay', pah

Having completed the sealed letter, Tock looked up at the guard, smiling blankly.

"Hello again! I apologize for the delay; I had many questions to ask. Did you have a nice lunch?"

The tall half-orc, who had in fact been put off his appetite somewhat by the screams, shifted uncomfortably and swapped his halberd from one hand to the other, muttering a brief assent.

I wish he wouldn't smile like that

"Did you get your answers, then?" he asked, masking his discomfort with gruffness of tone.

"Did ya pull his fingernails out, one by one?" chimed in the other, who seemed a fair bit more enthusiastic about the whole endeavor than his comrade.

Tock, having started another set of notes almost as soon as he'd finished speaking, glanced up briefly, distracted.

"What? No, that wouldn't work well. What if I had more than ten questions? Besides, pulling fingernails only causes perhaps two-thirds the pain of pushing the correct things under them." Tock paused as something occured to him. "I wonder if it's the same with toenails?"

Marking down a note to find out later, he continued. "But yes, I did get the answers our employer wants. This man must be quite important, he knew many secrets. Also, he was afraid of lizards, which I thought was odd!"

You'd know something of odd, wouldn't you

"Maybe it's the skin, or the tails that come off. What is the scariest part of a lizard, I wonder? In any case, I am needed elsewhere. Carry on guarding, I suppose. Goodbye."

At which, Tock turned on his heel and strode off down the hall, humming cheerfully to himself.

Wierdo

The guard stared after him a moment before remembering the remainder of his duty, shouldering his halberd, and entering the cell. Having heard the screams, he expected a great deal of blood with possibly a bit of gurgling from a mangled half-living shell of a person, but what he got was, in a way, far more worrying.

The cell was immaculate as ever, and the prisoner appeared to be completely unharmed, except where he'd clawed at his own face. Huddled in the corner, he rocked back and forth as he muttered to himself, rapid and incoherent, staring straight ahead. As the guard raised his weapon for a killing blow, he briefly considered the image of the tiny gnome strolling away, smiling happily, with a slight skip in his childlike step.

"You've been very helpful"

He paused and shuddered a bit before sweeping the halberd down.

Abbalah on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Given that the Monk playtest rules are allowed, does that mean that non-monks can take Focused Expertise?
    It doesn't seem to be limited to monks, just thrown in to the same play-test...

Sure.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    My Gnome Bard, Fey Beguiler, and all around heartless greedy bastard who can appreciate what Tiamat has going on:

O, this is the tale of Kelly LeFyffe.

I'm not entirely done with my Background, but I should finish sometime later tonight.

The Everyman on
  • Options
    MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I have an idea for this. Sir Fitzwilliam Jay Kull, Gentleman Barbarian. Has a monocle and spends his time crotcheting tea cosies except sometimes, when the situation demands it, his eyes bulge out and he starts foaming at the mouth and the next thing you know he's naked and slathered in someone's blood.

I sometimes like quotes in the beginning of bios for extra flavor. His will probably be something like "Daresay, I believe I am getting a mild case of being peevvvaaARRHGHHGFGHHGGHGHGHHRHHRGH"

Bit too lazy to actually work out a character, though. Oh well.

Megazver on
    Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Quarfein, Drow Sorcerer, reporting for duty.

Background:
    Quarfein has been living in exile from his homeland for most of his life, having been expelled from his birth city by the priestesses of Lolth when his sorcerous powers began to manifest themselves in the winter of his thirteenth year. Why he wasn't simply killed outright at the time remains a mystery even to him, though he has come to believe that Lolth has marked him as her own because of the ease with which he has learned to channel not only arcane power but also the divine gifts bestowed upon all Drow. Whether this is actually true or not, and what purpose the Spider Queen might require of him if it is, remains uncertain. What is certain is that Quarfein's sorcerous powers caught the attention of the commanders of the Redfrost Cavern Legions when he single-handedly demolished a squad of Legion troops out on patrol. When confronted with an entire platoon the next day, the pragmatic Quarfein "volunteered" to join the legion's corps of mages.

Personality:
    Quarfein is typically oblivious to others' suffering, especially if he's the cause, but extraordinarily vengeful against all enemies and slights to himself. According to him, this isn't a contradiction, he's just more important than everyone else.
    Typically reserved in conversation, Quarfein retains his species' natural suspicion of other's motivations, especially those of other Drow, primarily because of the way he was treated when his powers first emerged. In combat though, he is generally entirely unable to contain himself; his natural self-assurance and impatience make him impulsive and prone to lack of forethought, leading to reckless behaviour in combat, especially if he gets to exact vengeance on someone in the process.

Appearance:
    Slightly built, even for a Drow, Quarfein's height might cause the word "skinny" to come to mind, but never to lip - at least as long as Quarfein can hear you, anyway. Beyond that though, Quarfein might pass for a typical Drow at rest, but when he channels his powers, that resemblance tends to disappear as his hair takes on many hues, crackles with miniature lightning bolts or seems to turn to ice. The one thing that doesn't change between repose and attack is Quarfein's near-permanent scowl.

Stat-block:
    Sorry about this; I haven't had time to write it up in Myth-Weavers, but this is the build, as output by the Character Builder...
    Quarfein, level 11
    Drow, Sorcerer, Curseborn
    Build: Storm Sorcerer
    Spell Source: Storm Magic

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 9, Con 11, Dex 18, Int 11, Wis 14, Cha 23.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 8, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 18.

AC: 22 Fort: 17 Reflex: 21 Will: 26
    HP: 73 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 18

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +10, Insight +12, Dungeoneering +14, Intimidate +19

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +9, Bluff +11, Diplomacy +11, Endurance +5, Heal +7, History +5, Nature +7, Perception +7, Religion +5, Stealth +12, Streetwise +11, Thievery +9, Athletics +4

FEATS
    Level 1: Instinctive Darkness
    Level 2: Clutch of Darkness
    Level 4: Reaper's Touch
    Level 6: Focused Expertise
    Level 8: Darkfire Implement
    Level 10: Sorcerous Assassin
    Level 11: Master of Fire and Darkness

POWERS
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Lightning Strike
    Sorcerer at-will 1: Dragonfrost
    Sorcerer encounter 1: Whirlwind
    Sorcerer daily 1: Howling Tempest
    Sorcerer utility 2: Sorcerous Sirocco
    Sorcerer encounter 3: Ice Dragon's Teeth
    Sorcerer daily 5: Palest Flames
    Sorcerer utility 6: Sudden Scales
    Sorcerer encounter 7: Thunder Bomb
    Sorcerer daily 9: Season's Malaise
    Sorcerer utility 10: Narrow Escape

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Candle (10), Skull Mask (heroic tier), Spiderkissed Dagger +3, Summoned Githweave Armor +3, Periapt of Cascading Health +2, Staff of the War Mage +2, Elixir of Fortitude (level 8), Jolt Flask (level 10), Flask (empty) (5)

Mr_Rose on
  • Options
    Kaiju15Kaiju15 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Feel free to tell me if I'm taking too many liberties with the campaign setting here, but I proudly present...

Ander, human rogue and prince of Cinosa.

Background:
    Ander was born the youngest of five brothers and prince of Cinosa. As he grew older, he also grew more and more used to getting everything he wanted. Everything except the throne; the only thing he couldn't make his own by trickery or persuasion... or could he? After the mysterious and coincidental deaths of three of his older brothers, the king caught on to Ander's plot and banished him. The furious prince found it impossible to abandon his obsession with the throne so rather than be banished, he took to the streets. Years of daily fencing lessons and a silver tongue came in handy and he quickly found work as an "independent contractor". For a fee, certain people could be dealt with and certain items could be attained. Ander didn't make a name for himself, he made many names. His aliases prevented anyone from tracing him back to his royal heritage and also allowed him to acquire the underground connections and resources necessary to exact his revenge. After years of causing suspicious deaths and unexplained disappearances throughout Cinosa, Ander heard a rumor that The Dark Lord Arkhaziel was assembling a strike force to bring Cinosa to its knees. He was unable to let such an opportunity slip by.

Appearance and Mannerisms:
    A tall, slim man with a faint smile and long, dark hair. He gives off an air of approachability but also of uncanny cleanliness. Even when surrounded by filth and grime he remains spotless and handsome.

Though he is more than competent with a blade, more of Ander's targets have died of "natural causes" and "unfortunate accidents" than sword wounds. Mark it down to personal preference.

Personality:
    Despite a lust for power and revenge, Ander is uncannily personable. When meeting him for the first time, he appears to be a friendly, all-around nice guy who is willing to solve any number of delicate problems if presented with enough coin. Few meet him a second time.

Kaiju15 on
    It is your duty as a filmgoer to see Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World.
  • Options
    bratrbratr Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'll definetly get a character up for this, i have a controller, hopefully no one else makes one lol.

Nah. Good luck to everyone else, Ill have my character up by the weekend.

bratr on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I am having so much trouble coming up with a character that isn't... well, terrible.

"I'm a Minotaur who likes to break stuff!" "I'm a power-hungry Doppleganger Warlord who's looking for a King to replace!"

Blech yuck crap.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    So Denada, would you be okay with us taking a level 9 item for our level 10 item slot instead and dumping the difference into our pool of gold to do whatever with?

I ask mostly because I need a neck slot item and I would feel kind of silly wearing a CAPE OF THE MOUNTEBANK as a Barbarian. :lol:

Fiaryn on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Fiaryn - Yeah that's fine.

Grimmy - I can understand the problem. It might help to think outside of the evil box. Being evil doesn't require a twirling mustache or uncontrollable destructive rage. You can be sadistic, self-serving to the exclusion of others, power-hungry no matter the cost, or just plain psychopathic. None of these require over-the-top caricatures of "bad guys".

Look at this not as "You are the Brotherhood of Evil, bent on destroying the world even though that doesn't really make sense", but more as "You are powerful, driven, and most definitely not heroes. You have goals, and nothing will stand in the way of achieving them."

In a situation where a hero would have to take a harder road to uphold his moral code (i.e.: I know we need the information, but we can't torture him!), you will not (i.e.: We need the information. Torture him.). In a situation where a hero is trying to stop someone from rising to power and gaining control over a part of the world, you are trying to rise to power and gain control over a part of the world.

Denada on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Heh. Thanks for the guidance, Denada. I've run through two or three more cliches in the last couple of hours. I'm going to take a step back. Hopefully I'll come up with something good this afternoon.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Denada, if I wanted to pick up some lower level items with my 3 item choices, would that be cool? Like taking a Level 9 item instead of a Level 10.

Edit: Oh, and would it be cool to have a deity that's the opposite of alignment, if I explored the reasons why such a blessing might remain upon a person even after their change to utter evil?

Alecthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Perhaps the best question re: starting equipment is;

A level 12th, 11th, 10th and 10th's items combined gold value is X. Can I spend X on whatever I want, with the limitation that I buy nothing higher than level 12?

Or whatever limitation on that you'd like to place re; levels of things I can buy.

Rius on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Let's do this: You have 32,000gp to start with. Spend it how you see fit.

Opposite alignment deities may be allowed if your explanation is good enough.

Denada on