Options

Conspiracy Theories - I mean, shit.

saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
edited June 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm a bit of a random Youtuber, especially during work when one of my programs is being compiled and I need a quick 2-3 minute distraction.

Lately I've stumbled onto a lot of Conspiracy Theory videos on Youtube, primarily the whole "New World Order"/911 was an inside job/etc. videos, but there's a lot more out there. I thought this would be an interesting topic for D&D.

Mainly:

1) What's your favourite Conspiracy Theory (either one that you subscribe to, most funniest one, etc. etc.)
2) What Conspiracy Theories do you think have the most merit?
3) What Conspiracy Theories make you grind your teeth and weep for humanity?

Here's a handy-dandy, non-exhaustive list of popular conspiracy theories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_conspiracy_theories

I'll start us off....

My favourite CT is "The moon landing was on a sound stage in Hollywood"... Just because it led to this awesome video of Buzz "Lightyear" Aldrin punching out a dude:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo6aHSY8hU

As far as the one with the most merit, I've gotta go with Andy Kaufman not being dead. One of these days he's gonna re-appear and boy will our collective faces be red. Or our collective faces will just look at one another and be all like "who's this guy?".

And the one that makes me weep for humanity is the "9/11 was an inside job"... Now, I'm not above being open to the notion that the government may have been privy to 9/11 ahead of time, but some of the things that people try and pass off as scientific evidence (no planes, WTC was collapsed by bombs, etc.) is just ridiculous.

banner_160x60_01.gif
saint2e on

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The most recent one I personally stumbled across was that Paul McCartney died in 1966.

Yeah, I'm pretty far behind in the Conspiracy Theory times.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    ZeroCowZeroCow Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I miss EntropyKid. Now there was someone who could give you conspiracy theories.

ZeroCow on
    PSN ID - Buckeye_Bert
    Magic Online - Bertro
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I hate these things. Most of the people I've met that actually believe in them treat you like you're so ignorant and blind for not believing their unbelievable bullshit.

If I had to pick a fun one, though, it would be the X-filesish aliens stuff - roswell and all that. That stuff is at least fun to contemplate, unlike the really retarded stuff like "WORLD BANK LOLOLOL"

Duffel on
  • Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Searching for UFO cover-up videos on youtube eventually leads to a wide variety of very interesting documentaries, some of which are so convincing that I found myself telling my friends about the alien conspiracy for about a week before I realized how retarded I sounded.

Here, found it. It's got 9 videos on youtube, and it's called "Out of the Blue." Here's part 1 (which isn't the most interesting section, but I ended up watching the whole set one evening):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZpRcTBwdA

Edit: Also, one of the most interesting theories to me is that aliens have built a base on the dark side of the moon and are observing us in secret. I love that kind of shit.

Ballman on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Ancient civilizations that were visited by aliens.

I hate that one.

Once in a while, a guy comes in here and posts a wall of badly written, barely coherent text and spends hours trying to convince us he holds the key to true knowledge. Whenever possible, he ties it with whatever comes to mind, like Atlantis, Mayan calendars, pyramids, and ice age animals.

This might not be a conspiracy theory in the traditional sense - unless the government is keeping the knowledge secret - but it has the right level of crazy.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    TeaSpoon wrote: »
    Ancient civilizations that were visited by aliens.

I hate that one.

Once in a while, a guy comes in here and posts a wall of badly written, barely coherent text and spends hours trying to convince us he holds the key to true knowledge. Whenever possible, he ties it with whatever comes to mind, like Atlantis, Mayan calendars, pyramids, and ice age animals.

This might not be a conspiracy theory in the traditional sense - unless the government is keeping the knowledge secret - but it has the right level of crazy.
    Are you an archaeologist, too?

There's nothing quite so fun as having someone tell you the stuff you've been studying for years is all bullshit because of some poorly-edited video they saw on Youtube.

Duffel on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Step aside Jews, because the shapeshifting reptilian humanoids are really the ones in charge all up in here.

I was in my backyard a few weeks ago and this stuttering crazy lady told me all about them. Not surprisingly, Al Gore is a lizard man as well.

* edit: I should add that she was frothing at the mouth crazy and talked at me for about a half-hour. I thought she was joking about the lizard people but... no, she was in fact serious.

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My favorites:

Communist fluoridated water
    Detroit suppressing 100MPG car
    DaVinci Code BS (New Testament conspiracy)
    Staged Moon Landings

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Best story/conspiracy that I like is the Philadelphia Project and technically its sequel the Montauk Project, as they are wacky but reasonably feasible.

Story about the "brick wall" of 2012 is quite an interesting one as well. They couldn't enter 2012 and whenever they did the situations changed but all showed a desolate dead world.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My theory is that at least some conspiracy theories are completely true, but there is a conspiracy in the government to spread a lot of false conspiracy theories to make the true ones seem equally implausible.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2009
    I was always partial to the one that says the Earth is hollow inside and has some lizard civilization inside it. Or something like that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    My theory is that at least some conspiracy theories are completely true, but there is a conspiracy in the government to spread a lot of false conspiracy theories to make the true ones seem equally implausible.

Wow, metaconspiracy!

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

http://www.truveo.com/sprinkler-rainbow-dirty-work/id/522009393

The conspiracy theory I find most reasonable is that pharma companies either have the capability or actually do have the cure for multiple diseases, but don't release them because it is far more profitable to sell the shitty stuff they have now.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I think this is a conspiracy.
    And you're in on it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Penny Arcade Forums is a conspiracy to stop me from working.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I'm partial to the theory that our solar system is actually teeming with lunar/martian cities and more air traffic than JFK, but there's a massive NASA/Shadow Government conspiracy that doctors planetary photos and threatens backyard astronomers into silence.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    This lady is hilarious

The conspiracy theory I find most reasonable is that pharma companies either have the capability or actually do have the cure for multiple diseases, but don't release them because it is far more profitable to sell the shitty stuff they have now.

I believe the same one about auto makers. I can't be arsed to look it up now (the bane of all conspiracy theories!) but I've heard several cases of miracle engines bought by car companies and never seen again.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The ones about Barack Obama are the best.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

I believe the same one about auto makers. I can't be arsed to look it up now (the bane of all conspiracy theories!) but I've heard several cases of miracle engines bought by car companies and never seen again.

But here's the thing: if a car manufacturer could make some kind of miracle engine, why the fuck wouldn't they want to produce it and gain a huge advantage over competitors?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    But here's the thing: if a car manufacturer could make some kind of miracle engine, why the fuck wouldn't they want to produce it and gain a huge advantage over competitors?
    BECAUSE THEY WANT TO KEEP YOU DOWN DUDE

Duffel on
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Mormonism and Scientology.

You have to be a conspiracy nut to believe the "histories" provided by both religions, and any and all evidence to the contrary is part of "The Conspiracy."

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    This lady is hilarious

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. IT'S LIKE THE PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES! Money isn't made from the cure, you need the steady income stream from upkeep. Dealer certified repair centers, routine maintenance schedules. Think about it!

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Just for kicks, is there anyone in D&D who is well-versed on the whole "New World Order" thing that the movie Zeitgeist talks about?

It's scary how many people seem to be buying into it.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    saint2e wrote: »
    Just for kicks, is there anyone in D&D who is well-versed on the whole "New World Order" thing that the movie Zeitgeist talks about?

It's scary how many people seem to be buying into it.

Bilderberg Conference stuff? Haven't seen the movie.

Octoparrot on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

That's actually true to some extent.

Best example I can think of is Rogaine. It works but the minute you stop the effects vanish.

Why ? Because if you quit buying it the Rogaine people are bankrupt.

I'm not saying there's a cure for Cancer or Aids but I wouldn't be suprised if that were the case.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

Best example I can think of is Rogaine. It works but the minute you stop the effects vanish.

I'm not saying there's a cure for Cancer or Aids but I wouldn't be suprised if that were the case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propecia

other baldness drugs already exist

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

That stuff gives you breasts ? Wow that seems like a a sour deal. "Hmm Women will sleep with me now that I have hair oh wait now I'm a D cup."

King Riptor on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The one I'm currently interested is the one where some advanced form of nano-thermite was used to bring down the WTC buildings.

I was skeptical, listened to the carefully crafted gobbledygook and was entertained.

Then I came across a peer reviewed scientific paper claiming that there is evidence of this.

http://www.bentham-open.org/pages/content.php?TOCPJ/2009/00000002/00000001/7TOCPJ.SGM

It hasn't made a fart in the media though.

Meiz on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Also, I just read several articles last week because one of the threads around here linked to a conspiracy theory about Denver International Airport, which I was particularly curious about as I live in Denver.

Apparently Denver is marked to be the Western Headquarters of the New World Order, and DIA is going to be a major part of it.

Also included are an entire underground city beneath the runways, sprinklers in concrete hallways (which I guess are sinister because why would you need sprinklers in concrete?) and a vibration under the tunnels that makes people nauseous.

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    1) What's your favourite Conspiracy Theory (either one that you subscribe to, most funniest one, etc. etc.)

I'm a fan of some of the really bizarre and elaborate ones, like "Lizard people secretly rule the world" or "The Earth is hollow and inside there's a Nazi UFO base".
    2) What Conspiracy Theories do you think have the most merit?

The Mob having something to do with the JFK and RFK assassinations.
    Electronic voting machines and intentional voter disenfranchisement.
    3) What Conspiracy Theories make you grind your teeth and weep for humanity?

"9/11 was an inside job!"
    Fluoride, vaccinations, or other mainstream medical things will kill you or pollute your bodily fluids.
    "Barack Obama is a gay Muslim born in Kenya!"
    Edit: And the "Chariots Of The Gods" shit that implies that the only way non-European civilizations could have ever accomplished anything is if aliens showed up to help 'em along.
    Edit 2: And the "NAFTA Superhighway is going to replace the dollar with the Amero" gibberish.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    The thing that pisses me off the most about conspiracy theories is that if I bring up something in group conversations like the Tuskegee Experiment or some of the shit pulled in human radiation experiments, there almost always seems to be someone who wants to dismiss these events as conspiracy theory.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Also, I just read several articles last week because one of the threads around here linked to a conspiracy theory about Denver International Airport, which I was particularly curious about as I live in Denver.

Apparently Denver is marked to be the Western Headquarters of the New World Order, and DIA is going to be a major part of it.

Also included are an entire underground city beneath the runways, sprinklers in concrete hallways (which I guess are sinister because why would you need sprinklers in concrete?) and a vibration under the tunnels that makes people nauseous.

Concrete holds up pretty badly in a fire. All pourus and what not

King Riptor on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    for anger, I'll go with everything related in any way to Behold A Pale Horse.

two of my friends read that book within about a week of each other and I almost had to kill them both.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    Variable wrote: »
    for anger, I'll go with everything related in any way to Behold A Pale Horse.

two of my friends read that book within about a week of each other and I almost had to kill them both.

whats that one about?

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    One random person I knew lapped up the 9/11 conspiracy junk. It was horrifying to watch his mind contort as I shot down his beliefs. He just could not realize that the methods he was using to form his beliefs were not valid. Just because 50 other things he thought about the subject were completely wrong, doesn't mean these other stupid ideas he has are invalid.

Also this person actually thought that the trace amounts of tritium (like you could safely drink something 100 times more concentrated) in some water at ground zero mean that they had used a secret new miniature hydrogen bomb to blow up the buildings.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    This lady is hilarious

That stuff gives you breasts ? Wow that seems like a a sour deal. "Hmm Women will sleep with me now that I have hair oh wait now I'm a D cup."

Breasts? It says it causes more testosterone to build up in your body, not estrogen.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I didn't read it myself so I can't really give too many details. I did some reading on it when they were into it just so I could respond, but the best I have right now is the author's wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Cooper_(radio_host)

ufo, new world order type stuff.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail shortly after reading the DaVinci code and the read was very intriguing. Until you find out that the guys who wrote it made a bunch of shit up, but some of the actually true stuff is still very interesting.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited May 2009
    coleman-franken2.jpg

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited May 2009
    I read Holy Blood, Holy Grail shortly after reading the DaVinci code and the read was very intriguing. Until you find out that the guys who wrote it made a bunch of shit up, but some of the actually true stuff is still very interesting.

Yeah I had fun explaining to my friends that Da Vinci Code is, indeed, fiction for the most part. But, as you said, that whole topic is an interesting read.

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif