As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Netbook Thread

thorgotthorgot there is special providencein the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
Just quote Smart Hero's post from the SE++ thread.
Smart Hero wrote: »
EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT NETBOOKS BUT WERE AFRAID TO ASK

mini93.jpgasus_eeepc_900.jpg

Netbooks! They're a new class of personal computers designed to work as an accessory to a main laptop or desktop computer. Ranging from 7" to 12" screens, they're typically underpowered when compared to a standard laptop, but can run common programs and operating systems well enough to surf the net, hammer out a quick email, watch a Youtube vid and chat with your friends. Some use a traditional HD, while some of the newer ones use a solid state drive. One of the advantages of a SSD is improved battery life and less chance of wear-and-tear as there are no moving parts. However, SSD prices and capacity are way higher and lower, respectively, than a physical hard disk in the current market. Speaking of price, most models are dirt cheap, roughly $300, though more often than not you can track down some of the older eeePCs and Dell Minis on the cheap. I've seen some of the original eeePCs on sale for as little as $150.

So who makes these things?

A number of different companies have jumped into the netbook market, the biggest being Asus with their eeePC line of netbooks, with more than a dozen different flavors and varieties for sale. Dell has four different netbooks available right now, the Dell Mini line, including 9", 10", 11", and 12" models for sale. There's also smaller companies releasing their own unique netbooks, like Always Innovating, with their TouchBook.

So, what kind of operating systems can be run on a netbook, anyway?

Damn near anything you want to throw onto it, though some are easier to install than others, with the biggest hurdle being that most netbooks lack a optical drive. An external drive will make things easier, but most OSes can be installed from a decent-sized thumbdrive (~8GB is preferred.) A majority come with Windows XP already installed on them. Programs like UNetbootin make it easy, automatically downloading the proper CD Images and configuring them for you. In addition a number of guides have been put together by folks from Gizmodo and Lifehacker to get your preferred OS onto your tiny computer.

windows_logo_medium.gifMICROSOFT WINDOWS
As stated above, most netbooks have XP on them by default, as it's suited to their lower-end specs. In addition, Microsoft's latest OS, Windows 7 has been tailored for use on netbooks, with the Windows 7 Release Candidate available, free to use until mid-next year. Here's an excellent guide on how to install Windows 7 on damn near any netbook on the market today (provided you have the space on your HD for it.)

apple-logo-50x50.jpgApple OSX
"Whaaaah?" You say to yourself. Yes OSX can and will run on several different netbooks, with the Dell Mini 9 being the most OSX-friendly one available as of now, according to several reviewers (at least until Apple releases their own device.) Be warned, however, that the installation of OSX on a netbook violates the EULA of the software. If you don't mind the bending of the law, Gizmodo put together another great guide for installing it on the Mini 9, as well as one for the eeePC.

ubuntu.pngLinux
It's free! However, Linux is not for the faint of heart. Oftentimes it requires a number of additional bits of configuration and tweaking to run how you want it to. The most popular Linux distribution is Ubuntu, a community-supported desktop OS with a slick layout and prides itself on being a bit snappier than other OSes. Fair warning, however, that some software isn't supported by it, though there are often free user-created alternatives. Ubuntu itself has spawned several alternatives, each with it's own pros and cons.

Ubuntu 9.04 codename: Jaunty Jackalope: released just last month, Jaunty is the newest edition of the Ubuntu operating system. There haven't been huge changes from the previous version, Intrepid Ibex, but enough that it's worth updating. Ubuntu has a 6-month development cycle, with the next update to be released this October, codename Karmic Koala; Karmic has been touted as 'extremely netbook friendly, with an emphasis on speedy boot times, reliability, and cloud-oriented computing services'

- Ubuntu 9.04: the standard OS, usable on desktops and portable computers alike.
- Ubuntu Netbook Remix: designed with netbooks in mind, UNR provides an icon-based GUI for your netbook.

Linux Mint: Developed concurrently with Ubuntu on a slightly different release schedule, Mint provides a clean, friendly desktop environment good for the first-time Linux user.

Jolicloud:
Smart Hero wrote: »
Staleghoti wrote: »
Someone sell me on this Jolicloud thing.
Without linking me to somewhere else

Jolicloud is a very lightweight (600MB install) customized configuration of the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, a netbook-friendly interface for the Ubuntu Linux OS. It features a short on/off time (~40 seconds) so it's quick to load and shut down, can be installed next to, or in place of, other OSes like Windows XP or Ubuntu (I have all three.)

Where Jolicloud separates itself from UNR is with it's My Jolicloud service, which combines a pseudo-social network aspect with the ability to install various applications and programs quickly and easily, without having to know much about Ubuntu or the Linux OS. Jolicloud, as it's name implies, embraces the vision of many day-to-day programs and services making the leap into 'the cloud' and showcases apps like Google Docs, Gmail, Meebo, and Dropbox for use with the service. In addition it has multimedia programs like Boxee, VLC, Songbird, and several graphics programs.

Here's a few screenshots of my Mini 9 running Jolicloud.

The Favorites Panel, where you can add your most often-used programs for easy access. The other panels help to separate apps into defined categories, like OpenOffice Writer and Calc would go into the 'Office' Panel.
3755844580_3c5b930a75_o.png

Here's a shot of the My Jolicloud homepage, where it shows me the applications other people I'm following (similarly to Twitter) are installing on their instances of Jolicloud, in case something they're using might appeal to me.
3787065574_bae5b2ab49_o.png

Here's the Applications page, where you can install and update apps. Many apps are not programs in the true sense, but rather instances of Mozilla's Prism project, where webpages are treated just as native applications are, with their own windows, processes, and features.
3787065132_1937d359fb_o.png

Oh yeah, and it's free. You don't even have to install it to try it out, you can run it from a thumbdrive or a CD.

Useful programs and utilities designed for netbooks:

GMABooster [Windows and Linux]- overclocks the processor of netbooks, allowing them to run some games and apps they wouldn't normally be capable of running. CAUTION: there is a chance it could lead to burning out your processor or bricking your netbook. Remember to turn it off when you don't need the extra processing power.

GNOME-Do [Linux]: inspired by OSX's Quicksilver launcher, some folks created Do. Do works as an app launcher, but includes a growing number of plugins allowing you to add events to your Google Calendar, generate searches from the desktop, create emails, post to Twitter, upload photos to Flickr, and control your media player.

Dell Mini 9 BIOS Flash Utility [Dell Systems Only, need at least one machine running Windows]: Some folks have had trouble upgrading the BIOS on their Dell Mini systems; this utility helps with that process. *USE AT YOUR OWN RISK*

Rocketdock [Windows Only]: A dock program designed to make navigating your system easier, and it looks snazzy to boot.

Launchy [Linux, Windows]: Launchy is another application launcher that had a number of configurable plugins and skins.

Useful Websites For the Netbook User

UbuntuForums : great for support for anyone using Ubuntu on their system, plenty of people who will help you out, albeit with an air of snootyness.

ubuntumini : great site for folks using Ubuntu on the Dell Mini 9, with tips, guides and suggestions on how to get it running smoothly. While tailored to Mini users, a number of the tips and suggestions will work on any system running Ubuntu.

mydellmini : another great resource for folks using the Dell system, using any OS.

eeeuser : Forum community for eeePC users with guides and tips.

How's that for a guide, folks? I'll probably add to it as I think of new stuff. Any suggestions as to what else to include?

campionthorgotsig.jpg
thorgot on

• TrikoTriko Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I was ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a 1000HE, but then I saw this combo deal on Newegg -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.203472

1. SAMSUNG NC20-21GBK VIA Nano U2250(1.3+GHz) 12.1" WXGA 1GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook - Retail
    2. SAMSUNG USB 2.0 External Slim CD/DVD Burner Model SE-S084B - Retail

Basically buy the Samsung NC 20 for $509 and get the external DVD burner for FREE! I was going to get an external DVD drive anyway, so this combo would only be around $50 more than buying an Eee PC 1000HE and a seperate external DVD drive. I've read many reviews about the NC 20, and it supposedly performs just as well as any other Netbook out there; add in the 12" screen, full size keyboard, and a free external DVD burner...well, I'm sold.

Triko on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Triko wrote: »
    I've read many reviews about the NC 20, and it supposedly performs just as well as any other Netbook out there; add in the 12" screen, full size keyboard, and a free external DVD burner...well, I'm sold.

What does it weigh?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • bobmyknobbobmyknob 3DS Friend Code 4553-9974-2186 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'd have to suggest the 1005HA because it seems to be one of the best netbooks out there, but if the NC20 seems more your size, that's cool too.

bobmyknob on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2009
    I've read many reviews about the NC 20, and it supposedly performs just as well as any other Netbook out there; add in the 12" screen, full size keyboard, and a free external DVD burner...well, I'm sold.

What does it weigh?

3.4 pounds, not that bad, around half a pound heavier than 10" Netbooks.
    I'd have to suggest the 1005HA because it seems to be one of the best netbooks out there, but if the NC20 seems more your size, that's cool too.

I could have lived with a 10" Netbook, I'm use to working with 800x600 resolution CRTs. The Samsung NC 20 Newegg deal was too hard to pass up though, considering I was going to buy an external DVD drive anyway if I had purchased the 1000HE.

I can see myself using the Samsung NC 20 a lot longer because of the 12" screen, especially since I plan to run office suites (spreadsheets) on the machine. With a 10" Netbook, I'd probably spring for a larger Laptop later on; with the NC 20 I don't ever see the need for a laptop in the foreseable future. The NC 20's 6-7 hour battery life is just enough imo, who needs 9 continuous hours of portable computing each day anyway?

Triko on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    It's 9 hours maximum you will never reach it.
    And me. It's about choices, damn it!

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I've been eying up the Eee PC 1000HE. Anyone have experience? Looks like it has everything I want and a good track record with customers. CNET gave a favorable review as well.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Dr. Face wrote: »
    I've been eying up the Eee PC 1000HE. Anyone have experience? Looks like it has everything I want and a good track record with customers. CNET gave a favorable review as well.

I love mine.

Tomanta on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I'm possibly looking for a quality netbook with a touch screen with that swiveling deal (and hopefully multitouch support for W7?) I've seen some prototype stuff out there. Anything interesting coming up in the next few months or out now?

JAEF on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Is it safe to bank on future netbooks coming loaded with Win7 instead of XP, after it releases? The OP makes it sound like it runs great on them.

Both my laptop and my wifes are on their last legs and I imagine when we dump them we'll pick up a netbook because it's all we really need as far as portable computing goes. I'm trying to move all the PC's in the house to a standard OS which will be Win7 (just preordered 3 copies), and am just curious if I'll need to get another upgrade or if they'll likely start coming with it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited June 2009
    Is it safe to bank on future netbooks coming loaded with Win7 instead of XP, after it releases? The OP makes it sound like it runs great on them.

Both my laptop and my wifes are on their last legs and I imagine when we dump them we'll pick up a netbook because it's all we really need as far as portable computing goes. I'm trying to move all the PC's in the house to a standard OS which will be Win7 (just preordered 3 copies), and am just curious if I'll need to get another upgrade or if they'll likely start coming with it.

Windows 7 runs great on my Samsung NC 20, as well as XP as far as I can tell anyway (still need to upgrade to 2GB RAM). If you can wait till next year or so, dual-core Atom Netbooks will probably be hitting the markets by then. If you don't need your Netbook to be streaming HD videos over the internet or playing videogames, any of the ubiquitous 1.6ghz Atom processor Netbooks will suit your needs.

Can't say when Netbooks with Windows 7 will be hitting the market, since none have been announced; count on a slew of them to be installed with the crappy starter version to save on cost. You should just go ahead and get a Netbook now, and upgrade later with the Home premium version, especially since they can be pre-ordered for $50.

Triko on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    That makes sense I suppose.

It'll probably be after the new year before we look into one anyway, so there's no rush.

EDIT: Besides, I'll just use the copy of win7 I've ordered for my laptop after I get rid of it for the netbook if it doesn't come with it.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Septus wrote: »

That's only starter, which is what is designed to compete with linux on netbooks. you'll still find home premium on netbooks, but not the $300 ones.

This is also old news.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited June 2009
    Uh, he was talking about what would come pre-loaded on Netbooks, and Starter is what is expected to come pre-loaded on Netbooks.

Septus on
    edited June 2009
    Uh, he was talking about what would come pre-loaded on Netbooks, and Starter is what is expected to come pre-loaded on Netbooks.

on some netbooks. I've read that cheaper netbooks will have starter, and some of the "higher end" netbooks will have home premium.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    I would like a netbook, would be willing to wait for windows 7, but don't know if I could live with windows 7starter, although I probably can.

It's just that if a "higher end" netbook has home premium then the price between that and a lower end regular laptop starts to get real close. Then you have to weigh the benefits of the netbook against a standard laptop.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    edited June 2009
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    I would like a netbook, would be willing to wait for windows 7, but don't know if I could live with windows 7starter, although I probably can.

It's just that if a "higher end" netbook has home premium then the price between that and a lower end regular laptop starts to get real close. Then you have to weigh the benefits of the netbook against a standard laptop.

well, I think you'll see starter on the $300 netbooks, where Home Premium will probably be on the $400+ netbooks.

the Win7 equivalent of teh 1000HE, or the seashell series, which are billed as "high end" netbooks, but not necessarily expensive, will probably get Home Premium. Where netbooks like the low end Acer Aspire One netbooks will get Starter.

wunderbar on
    edited June 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    rockmonkey wrote: »

well, I think you'll see starter on the $300 netbooks, where Home Premium will probably be on the $400+ netbooks.

the Win7 equivalent of teh 1000HE, or the seashell series, which are billed as "high end" netbooks, but not necessarily expensive, will probably get Home Premium. Where netbooks like the low end Acer Aspire One netbooks will get Starter.

I would do a $400-450 netbook with win7 home premium if it were available and ran it ok. On the other hand if Starter ran better (smoother/quicker) on a cheaper netbook then Home Premium did on said "high end" netbook I might opt for overall performance over the richer features of Home Premium.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    My wife's parents are getting the FiOS deal where you get a free Compaq Netbook when you sign up. The only time when I'd totally pay em' for it, my wife's mother decides she actually wants the damn thing... Been trying to get a portable computers for some time now, it's fairly upsetting... I'm hoping she finds the screen too small, and the lack of optical drive an annoyance...

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited June 2009
    this bears mentioning

Basically, it is a super-light netbook, designed almost exclusively for web browsing and documents.

The kicker is that it has a touchscreen, and a custom Linux OS they designed themselves and intend to keep updating.

The extra kicker is that the screen and keyboard are detachable. You can pull the keyboard off and use it like a tablet, turn the keyboard around 180 degrees and set it up like a picture frame, etc. There's a second battery in the keyboard, giving you 10+ hours of power.

additionally:

ARM processor; it's like a cell-phone, basically, so the boot time is negligible

the tablet is magnetized; it will work as a fridge magnet

it has accelerometers; you'll be able to play a few iPhone games on it

comes with wifi & bluetooth

internal USB slots; you can have up to four USB dongles held internally, so you never have to fool around with the key for your wireless mouse

here's the final specs:
    # Texas Instruments OMAP3530 with Micron 256MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
    # 8.9 inches 1024x600 A+ screen
    # Main storage: 8GB SD card — we decided to change from Micro SD to standard SD, so that you can easily upgrade it
    # Internal USB wifi 802.11 b/g/n powered by a Ralink 3070 chipset
    # Internal USB bluetooth class 2.1
    # FCC, CE, UL-certified, 5V, 3.5A power adapter
    # 8.9 inches pressure sensitive touch screen
    # US Qwerty 24cm-large keyboard — around 95% of the size of a standard keyboard
    # Cirque Touchpad
    # Two Owolff high-quality internal stereo speakers
    # 3D accelerometer
    # Two internal batteries 6000 and 12000mAh — it can be replaced with a screw driver
    # 7 USB ports: three external, four internal, three of them may be reserved for wifi, bluetooth and keyboard
    # Bi-color silver/black case — see photos — with a beautiful dark-red back cover (we decided to go only for red for the first batch as it really jumps out, you won't regret it).
    # Secured attachment system of tablet into keyboard
    # Independent magnet system for the tablet — we don't want your Touch Book to un-magnetize all your credit cards while carrying it in your bag!

they start shipping preorders next month and oh I so hope one of them is mine

oh yeah

the whole thing is $399, or $299 if you just want the tablet and don't care about the keyboard

MrMonroe on
    edited June 2009
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    this bears mentioning

Basically, it is a super-light netbook, designed almost exclusively for web browsing and documents.

The kicker is that it has a touchscreen, and a custom Linux OS they designed themselves and intend to keep updating.

The extra kicker is that the screen and keyboard are detachable. You can pull the keyboard off and use it like a tablet, turn the keyboard around 180 degrees and set it up like a picture frame, etc. There's a second battery in the keyboard, giving you 10+ hours of power.

additionally:

ARM processor; it's like a cell-phone, basically, so the boot time is negligible

the tablet is magnetized; it will work as a fridge magnet

it has accelerometers; you'll be able to play a few iPhone games on it

comes with wifi & bluetooth

internal USB slots; you can have up to four USB dongles held internally, so you never have to fool around with the key for your wireless mouse

here's the final specs:
    # Texas Instruments OMAP3530 with Micron 256MB (RAM) + 256MB (NAND) Memory
    # 8.9 inches 1024x600 A+ screen
    # Main storage: 8GB SD card — we decided to change from Micro SD to standard SD, so that you can easily upgrade it
    # Internal USB wifi 802.11 b/g/n powered by a Ralink 3070 chipset
    # Internal USB bluetooth class 2.1
    # FCC, CE, UL-certified, 5V, 3.5A power adapter
    # 8.9 inches pressure sensitive touch screen
    # US Qwerty 24cm-large keyboard — around 95% of the size of a standard keyboard
    # Cirque Touchpad
    # Two Owolff high-quality internal stereo speakers
    # 3D accelerometer
    # Two internal batteries 6000 and 12000mAh — it can be replaced with a screw driver
    # 7 USB ports: three external, four internal, three of them may be reserved for wifi, bluetooth and keyboard
    # Bi-color silver/black case — see photos — with a beautiful dark-red back cover (we decided to go only for red for the first batch as it really jumps out, you won't regret it).
    # Secured attachment system of tablet into keyboard
    # Independent magnet system for the tablet — we don't want your Touch Book to un-magnetize all your credit cards while carrying it in your bag!

they start shipping preorders next month and oh I so hope one of them is mine

oh yeah

the whole thing is $399, or $299 if you just want the tablet and don't care about the keyboard

This is a step in the right direction.

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited June 2009
    Good price, good battery life, potentially good interface.

Might not have W7 support due to ARM processor and whatever Microsoft is doing with that. Would definitely love to hear about the build quality and software functionality when you get yours.

JAEF on
    edited June 2009
    Well, it's good thing that there's a book that doesn't "waste" computing power for games as such(although it probably unnecessarily eats up cost with the magnets and accelerometer), which I wouldn't use anyways, but I might worry about video playback.

I will eagerly await several reviews, and delay my purchase of a netbook until then.

Septus on
  • underdonkunderdonk __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2009

I have a 1000HE I upgraded with a 320GB 7200RPM drive. I run Fedora 11 (full version) without any issues. I love the thing. The smaller keyboard took some getting used too, but after a couple of weeks of acclimation, it feels natural. I honestly would be hard pressed to spend $1500+ on a "full power" laptop again when I could just pick up a good netbook for about $400 that does 95% of what I need to do (100% after you add an external DVD/CD drive and a big external hard drive).

underdonk on
    Back in the day, bucko, we just had an A and a B button... and we liked it.
    edited July 2009
    underdonk wrote: »

I have a 1000HE I upgraded with a 320GB 7200RPM drive. I run Fedora 11 (full version) without any issues. I love the thing. The smaller keyboard took some getting used too, but after a couple of weeks of acclimation, it feels natural. I honestly would be hard pressed to spend $1500+ on a "full power" laptop again when I could just pick up a good netbook for about $400 that does 95% of what I need to do (100% after you add an external DVD/CD drive and a big external hard drive).

Gonna take the plunge this weekend then I think. Just sold my broken macbook for enough money to buy this and a memory upgrade.

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Hey there, I bought an Acer Aspire One A0751h and was wondering if anyone could field some questions about it.

For starters, is the integrated Intel GMA 500 graphics chip going to be gimped forever? It seems like games that support only OpenGL just fail to work right now. It looks like they're updating it sporadically but I'm worried that they're going to just drop it altogether. If that's the case, should I try to get this thing returned and get behind something with more of a future?

Also are there any good deals on 6 cell batteries? Mine only came with a 3 cell so maybe I will pick up a 6 cell at some point, I think the standard price is about $100 but was just curious if anyone knew of something better. Thanks for all your help!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
    edited July 2009
    Hey there, I bought an Acer Aspire One A0751h and was wondering if anyone could field some questions about it.

For starters, is the integrated Intel GMA 500 graphics chip going to be gimped forever? It seems like games that support only OpenGL just fail to work right now. It looks like they're updating it sporadically but I'm worried that they're going to just drop it altogether. If that's the case, should I try to get this thing returned and get behind something with more of a future?

Also are there any good deals on 6 cell batteries? Mine only came with a 3 cell so maybe I will pick up a 6 cell at some point, I think the standard price is about $100 but was just curious if anyone knew of something better. Thanks for all your help!

Acer Aspire One A0751h is a pretty weak Netbook performance wise, it trades power (weak Atom Z520 processor) for a larger screen and good battery life (for 6-cell, anyway); don't expect to do anything more than browse the internet and run light office apps...which is what a Netbook is for in the first place.

If you want more of a gaming/HD Netbook, you should wait for the Lenovo S12 with Nvidia Ion GPU. If I was less impatient, I probably would have not bought my Samsung NC 20 and waited for the S12 instead. It's powerful enough to stream 720p videos, and can supposedly run most games today, no doubt would be a great Netbook to have when Starcraft II releases.

Alas, I love my Samsung NC 20, does what a Netbook is supposed to do, in glorious 1280x800 resolution. I have my desktop for gaming anyway...

Triko on
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Oh, I didn't want a gaming powerhouse, I was just hoping for Quake III Arena at least. Plus that particular netbook was having issues with things like Worms Armageddon and even older games like "Balls of Steel". It would also randomly lock up if browsing got too graphically intensive.

I decided to just refund it today, I'll keep my eyes peeled for something new. Thanks for your help!

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2009

I've had my 1000HE for quite some time now, bought it almost immediately after they launched. I love it, upgraded it to 2 gigs of ram and have been running a fairly minimal version of XP Home (with a new awesome theme) to great success. Battery life is amazing.

I don't think I could ever fly on a plane again without it.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited July 2009
    So does anyone have suggestions for a good external optical drive? Will pretty much anything do the job?

Dr. Face on
    edited July 2009
    So does anyone have suggestions for a good external optical drive? Will pretty much anything do the job?

As long as it doesn't explode on you, get the cheapest one possible. There's no point of an external DVD drive for Netbooks, other than to install software on. They don't have the power to play DVD movies from the drive, and unless you don't have a main computer, I can't imagine how long it'll actually take to burn a full DVD movie using a Netbook.

About the cheapest ones you can find is around $40 (generic no brand drives from chinese ebayer kinds), but as long as it does the job, who cares what you get? I got a pretty sweet Samsung external DVD burner for free with my NC 20 when Newegg had a special going on, so I'm happy about that :P

Triko on
    edited July 2009

As long as it doesn't explode on you, get the cheapest one possible. There's no point of an external DVD drive for Netbooks, other than to install software on. They don't have the power to play DVD movies from the drive, and unless you don't have a main computer, I can't imagine how long it'll actually take to burn a full DVD movie using a Netbook.

I use mine to backup data as well, which is a good thing. You backup your data, right? But yeah, go to Walmart and buy the cheapest one they have there. My requirements were something that can burn CDs/DVDs and something that won't catch on fire within the first year of use.

underdonk on
    edited July 2009
    I use mine to backup data as well, which is a good thing. You backup your data, right?

USB thumb drives are practically given away these days.

Triko on
    edited July 2009
    I use mine to backup data as well, which is a good thing. You backup your data, right?

Seriously. I cant remember the last time I used any optical media for backup.

wunderbar on
    edited July 2009

Yeah, but thumb drives aren't nearly as good/cheap when you get into incremental backups or archiving information. Also, from a security standpoint, people tend to be less worried about throwing a CD/DVD into their system then letting you plug a thumb drive into their box.

underdonk on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited July 2009
    Does anybody in the UK own the Dell mini vodafone version with the sim built into the machine?

What I would like to know is are they easy to modify/ install a new OS? and well are they any good/ worth the contract?

Ziggymon on
    edited July 2009

Yeah, but thumb drives aren't nearly as good/cheap when you get into incremental backups or archiving information. Also, from a security standpoint, people tend to be less worried about throwing a CD/DVD into their system then letting you plug a thumb drive into their box.

Which is why(assuming you have a desktop) you use a large thumbdrive, or online storage, to transfer the data from the netbook to the desktop and burn from there.

Septus on
    edited July 2009

Which is why(assuming you have a desktop) you use a large thumbdrive, or online storage, to transfer the data from the netbook to the desktop and burn from there.

Assuming you have a desktop...

It all depends on the type of information you want to backup and/or archive, I suppose. There is plenty of information that I do not want to store on a remote backup service (for a variety of reasons), or even temporarily store on a thumb drive (most definitely) or desktop, to burn onto a CD/DVD. It simply creates an increased chance of exposure of the information in question (even more so with a thumb drive that you may carry around).

I'm not trying to be difficult. I do security work for a living and am paid to be paranoid.

underdonk on
    edited July 2009
    Ok, optical drive is taken care of. Now I wonder about a mouse. Bluetooth or normal wireless? Any models people recommend? I'd rather get a simple, normal sized mouse rather then the Fun Sized mice I see people use with their laptops. I feel retarded whenever I use one.

Dr. Face on
    edited July 2009
    Ok, optical drive is taken care of. Now I wonder about a mouse. Bluetooth or normal wireless? Any models people recommend? I'd rather get a simple, normal sized mouse rather then the Fun Sized mice I see people use with their laptops. I feel retarded whenever I use one.

If you feel retarded using a "fun sized" mouse than you're going to feel retarded using that "fun sized" keyboard on the netbook. :P Go to your local electronics store and give the mice a go if they have a display. A mouse (and keyboard) really are a personal choice and different ergonomics fit everyone differently. With that said, I've always like Microsoft branded mice. Don't know what it is about 'em, but they've always worked great for me. I can't say the same about their OS, however. Ha!

underdonk on