As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pre-PAX breakfast

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in PAX Archive
Since Mr. T can't make it this year, and because the doors to get in line aren't actually opening until 8 am, those of us who are able to crowbar ourselves out of bed are clearly going to need some sustenance before stumbling and staggering into line. So your people should talk to my people, and we should do breakfast!

When: Friday, September 4 at 7:00 am
Where: The corner of 7th Ave. and Pine St. across the street from the Barnes and Noble in the bench area that Google Maps tells me is there
Who: Anyone who can wake up at that ungodly hour

What: We're going to meet up, hang out for maybe 5-10 minutes to collect stragglers and the lost, then we're going to walk over to Pike Place. Then one of a few things is going to happen:

A) We will mob the crumpet shop like a ravenous horde of zombies seeking out delicious brains
B) We'll splinter off into little groups and explore Pike's Place, foraging for food like wild but sleepy animals
C) No one will be able to wake up and thus no one will be subjected to me falling asleep face first in my eggs.

This is a relatively informal thing and I will try to have a sign, but honestly, PAXers aren't that difficult to identify. It's a good way to get to know some people a little bit before the whole thing commences, and to get some line buddies.

A couple of notes:

* It's early. Some of us are not morning people and some of us will be carousing the night before so there is a good chance that some arrivals will be arriving immediately after rolling out of bed and pulling on the first clothes they find. But, by all that is holy please brush your goddamned teeth before you come! We can all probably handle some rumple, but we just don't know each other well enough for anyone to be subjected to anyone else's morning breath.

* If you arrive late, it's no worries, you can come to Pike's Place anyways, it's a nice place and you'll be sure to find some grub and see some PAXers

* For all of us shy introverts, it's no worries, come say hi! :D

Hypatia on

• Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was gonna raid the Crumpet Shoppe around that time (there is NONE in the state of California.)

And I will need caffeine in order to go all "WHEE!" in a cohearant manner by 10AM.

I will join in this one!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Options
    refragrefrag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Great stuff!
    Count me in.

refrag on
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I watched the crowd gather up and march off from my hotel window last year. I'll make more of an effort to get downstairs this time, but considering I'm making even more of an effort to get to the triwizard, we'll see how that goes...

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I do so love that crumpet shop. Reminds me of the mother country.

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Nnnngh... I live SO CLOSE but I plan to be SO DRUNK the night before...! D:

Beryllium on
  • Options
    redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beryllium wrote: »
    Nnnngh... I live SO CLOSE but I plan to be SO DRUNK the night before...! D:

All the more reason to get some food in you in the morning.

redhalo on
  • Options
    DragondevonDragondevon Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would like to join this.

Dragondevon on
    "The times are duanting, its perilous to walk out your front door anymore. The enemy is everywhere, hidden in technology, smiling faces, and laziness. Though, we are not given the luxury to give up. We are the last bastion of hope for our species. We are HUMANS!!!!RAAAAAR"-Devon
    "Dude, I think he's a zombie."
    "No he's not, he's dead."
    "But he's still walking around."
    "Which makes him one of the walking dead."
    "Exactly."
    "So, he's dead."
    "No, that makes him a zombie."

"You sound like WALL-E having sex with a Speak and Spell"
  • Options
    drale03drale03 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Man, I really hope they sell miraculous hangover healing crumpets!

drale03 on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll be there! The donut shop at Pike's Place is on the wikipedia page for donut. Clearly they are superior.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    drale03 wrote: »
    Yes, and luckily for you they do Three-For-Two Fridays.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    cafeganeshacafeganesha Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    YESSS I am so excited for crumpet mobbage again

cafeganesha on
    @cafeganesha on PAX Twitter
  • Options
    CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    drale03 wrote: »

The Vermont. It cures all.
    Yes, and luckily for you they do Three-For-Two Fridays.

Wait. What? Crumpets shall be my Breakfast, Second Breakfast and possibly Elevensies!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    MarsCheliosMarsChelios Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Missed this last year, it will be nice to not be starving going into PAX.

MarsChelios on
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm sad that Mr. T's not going =(

At least he can know that the breakfast tradition will continue on... I am looking forward to it!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Hypatia wrote: »
    But, by all that is holy please brush your goddamned teeth before you come

I would like to extend this to everyone to please take a shower, and put on deodorant before coming, please.

please.

please.

AverageToaster on
  • Options
    edited August 2009

I would like to extend this to everyone to please take a shower, and put on deodorant every morning before coming, please.

please.

please.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    asgagaasgaga Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    will be attending this :) , because arriving to late to join the pre-pax dinner.

asgaga on
  • Options
    Sir_LagSir_Lag Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Totally in

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009

I would like to extend this to everyone to please take a shower, and put on deodorant every morning before coming, please.

please.

please.

No Guarantees. :winky:

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing everyone should remember is that, if it's at all like last year, people are coming in and out pretty freely without any set schedule. It's more of a "place to go for breakfast when you're ready" rather than "a place to meet at at a very specific time". So, remembering this, know that if you're running behind it's okay to take a shower and get ready proper before coming by... odds are there'll still be a great deal of us still there, or even just starting to come in along with you! =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • Options
    ZionadZionad CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    the only way i could be there (and i really want to), is if my friends and I leave abbotsford at 4am to cross the sumas border and head down.

speaking of that, is there any supertrippers or just abbotsford people crossing the border friday morning?

Zionad on
    I do it all for the pew pew
  • Options
    ShigglesShiggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    The thing everyone should remember is that, if it's at all like last year, people are coming in and out pretty freely without any set schedule. It's more of a "place to go for breakfast when you're ready" rather than "a place to meet at at a very specific time". So, remembering this, know that if you're running behind it's okay to take a shower and get ready proper before coming by... odds are there'll still be a great deal of us still there, or even just starting to come in along with you! =)

Ah! Good to know. ;)

My 8-ball says 'Signs point to yes'. :P

In all seriousness, chances are I'll probably stop in for a bit, since I have to wake up for the BYOC that morning*.

*A few hours after the Triwizard Drinking Tournament.

Shiggles on
  • Options
    RedwingedblackbirdRedwingedblackbird Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'll be there... the only question is... should I wear my badass Spider-Man costume on friday, or Saturday, lol.

Redwingedblackbird on
  • Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zionad wrote: »
    the only way i could be there (and i really want to), is if my friends and I leave abbotsford at 4am to cross the sumas border and head down.

speaking of that, is there any supertrippers or just abbotsford people crossing the border friday morning?
    The Canadian supertrip leaves tursday morning, because there's a ton of stuff going on at night. Moe made a list in the Vancouver thread.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I'll attempt to stop by for some breakfast (or at least some that won't be super over-charged).

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    BerylliumBeryllium Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I think I'll attempt to stop by for some breakfast (or at least some that won't be super over-charged).

For being something of a tourist trap, the prices are pretty reasonable. They know that the locals drop wads of money there too, and that they wouldn't pay for overpriced crap.

Plus I think the stores get a good deal on rent or something. The Market tries to attract and keep local and unique businesses. (Some of the shops in the lowest levels are unique to a fault-- aka downright ghastly. I don't see how those shops stay in business unless they're dealing dope out the back.)

Beryllium on
  • Options
    KyoutekiKyouteki Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm totally in. It was a blast last year (and a nice start to my Buttoneering collection).

Kyouteki on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Beryllium wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

For being something of a tourist trap, the prices are pretty reasonable. They know that the locals drop wads of money there too, and that they wouldn't pay for overpriced crap.

Oh I know but I was referencing the prices within conventions, where there are three dollar sodas and eight dollar sandwiches. Seattle on the whole is pretty good for food & pricing as it still has people living there.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    If there are crumpets in the offing then I shall be along in some capacity. Jetlag and hangover permittent, of course.

Frightfully English on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    YAY!!!!!!

At least TWO English gents will try their best to be there--more authenticity for us all!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I assume I will be forced to knife fight both of these so-called other Brits to verify my own authenticity.

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    ...Wait. There are three then? I counted you and Mr. Frightfully over there...

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    There will be three. There are always three. Last year I was on the PAX train with another Brit, and an Australian who everyone had decided was a Brit, which I found to be quite wonderfully ironic considering the number of Americans who ask me what part of Australia I'm from.

I mean, really. Our accents aren't that similar. There's a distinct twang in the Australian accent that you just don't hear in the British accent. How would you like it, Americans, if I came up to you and asked you whereabouts in Canada you came from?

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    I would more than happy to claim that I am Canadian instead of Californian...but how I talk definitely says "Liek OMG! I am SO liek a Cali-Girl!" ...Okie, maybe not that; but I do say "Hella", "like" and "duh" more often than anyone should.

Also, Australians are like you Brits...there ARE decedents of you lot--just picked up a twang throughout the years of being away from the Parliament. ...Yes, I know they have their own Parliament (I think)--it's the principle, though!

CaptainTapole on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    By that extension, then, Americans are actually Brits too.

(And I have been known to pluralize "Hell" in moments of excitement. e.g. "They've got a playable version of The Beatles Rock Band at the Best Buy in Burbank? Hells yes!")

Squirminator2k on
  • Options
    BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'll try to be there im normally up by 4am anyways :D

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    May I hang out with you three brits if only to insult you with my terrible fake british accent as well as talk about Doctor Who and torchwood?

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    Frightfully EnglishFrightfully English Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Unfortunately Sir Squirminator, I'm not from that part of London so my knife proficiency is somewhat lacking. In fact I'm not from London at ALL! I'm sure you're authenticity shall not be in question once your possibly-Australian accent has been properly examined by my team of expert linguoligists.

Sir Lag, you can be the third Brit if you so desire!

Frightfully English on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Unfortunately Sir Squirminator, I'm not from that part of London so my knife proficiency is somewhat lacking. In fact I'm not from London at ALL! I'm sure you're authenticity shall not be in question once your possibly-Australian accent has been properly examined by my team of expert linguoligists.

Sir Lag, you can be the third Brit if you so desire!

Well, by Squirminator2k's logic, Canadian's are brits, so I'll fit right in.

Now the question stands, how hard should I play the Canadian sterotype

Sir_Lag on
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    FYI Like only 10% of me is a descendent of Britain. The word "Hella" is more of a Northern California thing. I believe it originated in Berkeley.

Anywho! NOW we have "three" Brits! Wahoo! Authenticity!

Getting back to the true topic at hand...

Who's getting a bajillion Vermonts? *Raises Hand quickly* Anyone? Anyone?

CaptainTapole on
This discussion has been closed.