As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Dim Sum

HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
edited August 2009 in PAX Archive
Last year a small band of us, organized by the 'leet ElectricTurtle ventured forth on Sunday morning into what I can only assume is the Chinatown of Seattle for dim sum.

Many small but delicious items were devoured, much camaraderie was enjoyed, and we all left full and with more money than we thought we'd have after the feast we'd eaten.

I would like to repeat this because, let's face it, it was because it was yummy:

DimSum-600.jpg

So, if you're interested, please PM me. We're going to try to keep this moderately small (read: manageable) and be aware that the dim sum place is maybe.. 6-8 blocks walking from the convention center or a cab ride. This will probably be on Sunday morning before PAX boots up.

Hypatia on

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    dimmmmmmmmm summmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • AstayonixAstayonix Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Delicious. I still wish Top Gun was open in the ID. :( RIP.

Astayonix on
    -=Astayonix=-
    http://www.n37radio.com
    Awesome Ideas With No Inititive
    IRC - radeon.slashdot.net #n37 key=topic
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    We still have one in bellevue :). In the ID Jade garden is pretty good.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • AydrAydr Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    What place are you guys hitting? I'd suggest House of Hong.

Aydr on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd be down again. Our dim sum place at home here closed due to gambling debts. I'd likely have a +1 with me.

Edit: I understand the limitedness and will bow out for a newcomer if need be.

redhalo on
  • InterjectionInterjection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I would really like to come this year, because last year I wanted to as well, but it was my first time at PAX and I got caught up in the PAXiness of it all.

This year however I have +2 and wouldn't want to impose, since the +2 aren't even members of the forum. If you have room for 3 more people though, then I wouldn't mind, since I have wanted to head down to the ID for a while...but parking in the city scares me.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • thetelevisi0nthetelevisi0n Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    New Hong Kong (formally New Kowloon) restaurant has pretty good dim sum and a TON of seating space. As for the ride to the international district, you can ride certain buses for free from 6AM-7PM.

thetelevisi0n on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm definitely down for it... mmm so good. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Someone explain to me what dim sum is, and why I should like it.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
    edited August 2009
    Arco wrote: »

Here ya go. :P

redhalo on
    edited August 2009
    New Hong Kong (formally New Kowloon) restaurant has pretty good dim sum and a TON of seating space. As for the ride to the international district, you can ride certain buses for free from 6AM-7PM.

HUZZAH! Your post didn't really help, but I found out that a park and ride near me only needs one bus to head down to the ID...which is nice since it is a 35 minute ride I can get some hand held playing in.

For a second I was even considering taking a bus to PAX instead of driving my car...but then I remembered I need to drive back since buses don't run that late...and I am bringing 2 other people.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Well, last year we went to Honey Court on ElectricTurtle and Astayonix's mad crazy Seattle knowledge and it turned out really well, plus it was in walking distance. I was thinking we'd just hit that up again unless some native Seattle-ite has the scoop ("Oh, don't go there, they really suck now" or "They closed").

And no worries if you want to bring +2 or whatever, just make sure you PM me so I can get you a phone number and for organizational purposes. :D

Hypatia on
  • the_stamythe_stamy Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    redhalo wrote: »
    I'd be down again. Our dim sum place at home here closed due to gambling debts. I'd likely have a +1 with me.

If you mean Bamboo Creek on Southside, they reopened on Baymeadows where Bennigan's used to be...

the_stamy on
    edited August 2009
    the_stamy wrote: »
    redhalo wrote: »

If you mean Bamboo Creek on Southside, they reopened on Baymeadows where Bennigan's used to be...

I do mean them. Good to know, thanks!

redhalo on
  • HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I think I've gotten the details to everyone interested so far, let me know if you didn't get a PM from me, I got a bit behind on things over the weekend :)
    Arco wrote: »

It's relatively cheap (last year I think it came out to $5/person), it's really delicious, and everything is server in tiny plates like Tapas so you get to try a whole lotta things and eat what you find out you like.

Good company, good food, and a morning constitutional, what more could you ask for? :D

Hypatia on
  • muttonheadmuttonhead Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'm interested, sounds like some fun

muttonhead on
    @muttonhead104|!Hufflepuff|Team !Bulbasaur!
  • InbiscoInbisco Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    Jade Garden is really popular (which usually means a 5-10 min wait on weekend mornings). Another good place is Purple Dot. Its a bit cheaper and less busy but still delicious!

Both are in chinatown/international district.

If you're on the eastside, I'd recommend Jeems in the Bellevue/Overlake area.

Inbisco on
  • tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Very interested... I love Dim Sum

tek on
    edited August 2009
    Just wanted to say that Honey Court has gotten about as good a review as a dim sum place can from the place that made me realize there was an international district and made me want to go there.

http://msg150.com/search?q=honey+court

MSG 150, they go out for lunch at all of the restaurants in the ID. So far I think they have been to every restaurant west of I-5.

Interjection on
    aka kcMasterpiece
  • TransparentTransparent Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I'd like to be in on this again this year, was delicious last year.

Transparent on
    PAXtrain '10, let's do this!
  • The_ReflectionThe_Reflection Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I am in

The_Reflection on
  • stabn_stabn_ Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    Inbisco wrote: »
    Jade Garden is really popular (which usually means a 5-10 min wait on weekend mornings). Another good place is Purple Dot. Its a bit cheaper and less busy but still delicious!

Both are in chinatown/international district.

If you're on the eastside, I'd recommend Jeems in the Bellevue/Overlake area.

What kind of schedule does Jeem do dim sum on? The last time I was there i saw no carts and no dim sum menu but it was like a year ago. I wasn't that big on what I did have there but all my chinese friends rave about the place.

stabn_ on
    Slytherin Headboy: Order of the Phoenix!
  • InbiscoInbisco Registered User new member
    edited August 2009
    I think Jeems stops doing dim sum at 2 or 3pm, maybe even earlier depending on the crowd. Jeems is good (their shu-mai seems to be a lil oversized) but I still prefer Jade Garden or Purple Dot.

Inbisco on
  • bigben79bigben79 Registered User regular
    edited August 2009
    I was hoping for something like this, count me in!

bigben79 on
This discussion has been closed.