As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dogs in the Vineyard - IC/OOC] The Sins of Memphisto

simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a differencetoday, a differenceRegistered User regular
edited December 2009 in Critical Failures
The Sins of Memphisto
Prelude - The Initiations
Part I - Long Ride
Part II - If Dogs Run Free
Part III - Whirlwind in the Thorn Trees
Part IV - The Man Comes Around
Part V - Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears

Characters
Sister Prudence Sprague
Statistics: Complicated History (15d6)
Acuity - 2d6
Body - 4d6
Heart - 3d6
Will - 6d6

Traits - 4d4 2d6 2d10

3d4: "I get intimidated and offended when people are smarter than me."
1d4: "I can shoot and fight better than I can talk."
2d6: "I'm a Dog."
1d10: "My belief: a sin's a sin."
1d10: "Violence don't scare me none."
1d6: "I let everyone know the King of Life won't accept weakness in His Order."
1d6: "I will protect myself in this den of sinners."

Relationships - 5d6 2d8
Steward O'Hare - 1d6

Possessions
-Coat: 2d6 (grays, reds, and browns - a lot of fancy stitchwork, triangles and swoops, a short verse stitched into the back)
-"Ol' Trusty", her shotgun: 2d6 1d4
-Her father's knife: 2d6

My Accomplishment: "I hope I taught my peers that there's no room for weakness within our Order."

Prudence Sprague grew up in the cold and snow. Her Mother died when she was young, and she grew up entirely under her Father. He taught her the values of God and family, and instilled in her her (very basic) outlook on life. Sister Prudence was out helping in the field at the age of 13, being unusually strong for her age.

Prudence was shipped off from the isolated Sprague family farm to a nearby Stewardship where she lived under a host family in order to practice and learn under the eye of the Steward. Her host family was a bit "softer" than she was, morally, and she treated them with grim formality and respect, nothing more.

The day she packed up to head to the Temple, an eager cadet elected by the Steward, she received word that her Father had died weeks earlier. It's weighed on her mind ever since.

Brother Napthali Atkinson
Background: Well-rounded (17d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 4d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d6 2d8 in Relationship dice)

Stats (17d6):
Acuity: 3d6
Body: 5d6
Heart: 5d6
Will: 4d6

Traits (1d4, 4d6, 2d8):
1d6: "I'm a Dog."
1d4: "I can shoot, but not all that well."
1d8: "I'm a lot better at riding than I am at walking; comes with being raised around horses."
1d8: "I do believe in what we do, however hard it can be."
1d6: "I know a lot of the Book of Life off by heart, but I have to think about it a bit sometimes."
2d6: "I don't like the more brutal aspect of this calling."
1d6: "I stood firm in my beliefs even when those around me are scorning them."

Relationships (4d6, 2d8):
Clarence Winthrop (stablehand at the Temple): 1d6
Matthew Brackett (fellow trainee Dog at Temple): 1d6

Belongings:
Coat (2d6): a tan coloured coat with an extensive design of loops, swirls and spirals in several colours of blue, red and ochre - no straight lines at all
Horse (2d6): Aristobulus, a fine palomino quarter horse
Family Book of Life (1d6): pretty worn but a treasured link to home
Revolver (1d6 1d4): old but perfectly serviceable

Accomplishment:
"I hope I learned to stand up for my Faith and what I believe in, even in the face of others making their own judgements."

Brother Esau
15d6 in Stat dice, 4d4 2d6 2d10 in Trait dice, 5d6 2d8 in Relationship dice
============Stats=============
ACUITY 2d6
BODY 4d6
HEART 5d6
WILL 4d6

============Traits============
imposing demeanor - 1d10
teetotaller - 1d10
I'm a hard worker and stubborn as a mule. - 1d6
raised a Mountain Man - 2d6
don't like shootin much - 1d4
Daddy roughed me up - 1d4
I overcame prejudice against me as a Mountain Man convert, for I have vested my faith in the King of Life. - 1d6
Preacher of the Lord's love - 1d6
Women are not to be trusted - 1d6

========Relationships=========
Toothless Wolf (father) - 1d8
God's Watchdogs - 1d8
Brother Jacob (converter) - 1d6
Brother Pete Stars (from Memphisto) - 1d6
left: 3d6

============Items=============
Deep red coat, patterned with ancient Mountain designs: squares and triangles, forming pyramids and pseudo-human figures; a single verse is stitched inside the left breast: "Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss." Also there's a hole in it from a knife attack, in the town of Memphisto - it's an ugly tear, and most of the surrounding material is soaked with blood that just can't be washed out. - 1d6
old dusty revolver - 2d4
Book of Life - 1d6
nag named Absalom - 1d8
jar of consecrated earth - 1d6

========Accomplishment==========
I overcame prejudice against me as a Mountain Man, for I have truly vested my faith in Him.

=========Background===========
The boy was a Mountain Man, born and raised in a village having a bad time dealing with the influx of Eastern folk and their pastimes. Though the Faith don't take kindly to alcohol and other vices of life, traders don't have the same compunctions--this particular village had dealt with a lot of issues relating to their ongoing 'civilization' by contact with the settlers. Former hunters sat on their asses playing cards all day, while their wives worked fields sown with seed bought too dear; the Spirits were half-forgotten when the Medicine Man caught something from a passing caravan that made his ears bleed and his eyes gum over; the boy's father, Toothless Wolf, crawled into a bottle of the demon rum. His childhood was punctuated by blows just soft enough to leave no mark, while his mother lay ailing in bed and the family scraped by on the charity of neighbors. It was finished when she died, and the bruises appeared.

One day, a Dog by the name of Brother Jacob arrived. The boy, and indeed many of his fellow townspeople, had never heard of the Faith before, but that didn't matter--Jacob was there to convert. Over time, he won many of the townspeople by his fiery rhetoric and consecrated them and their village with holy earth. Toothless Wolf was unimpressed. The boy left home in the middle of the night and caught the Dog Jacob as he was leaving. With what little English he knew, he begged to be taken away from his father.

Brother Jacob took him to be schooled in the ways of the True Faith and gave him the name Esau. Esau studied diligently, if slowly, and took to the teachings of the Faith well--after all, this religion was better schooled in dealing with the corruptions it battled than the timeless one his people had once practiced, before the evils of disease, gambling, and liquor descended upon them, and that was what Esau wanted, being a young man in need of guidance.

Brother Esau is not particularly apt, but he is kind-hearted and charitable. His particular battle is that against vice: the lessons of his childhood abuse at the hands of a drunkard father have stayed with him. He is reluctant to solve problems with violence, and would sooner use a gentle word to make a man see the error of his ways. Adolescence gifted him a strong, broad, and tall body, which he eagerly put to use in the gardens at his newly adopted home; now, it is no mean aid for resolving a conflict, for many would sooner watch their tongues than cross such an imposing figure--even if he is gentle at heart.
- - -

"For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion."

- - -

"We went west. We went through massive canyons, dryer than they were deep. We roughed mountains, so high they held the angels. We knew fields so long they must've surely circled the Earth their length over. We saw oceans and sinkpits, we drank from His pools, and we felt their cool refrain on our faces. We walked until our horses gave out, and our feet went ragged, and we knew, yet, we were not but a fraction of the road to be traveled, a bead of sweat towards the work that had to be done."

- - -

"You got two choices, boy - I'm'll count to three, and you either got that gun on the ground and you're prayin' to the King I don't blow yer head off right here, or you still standin' on the shoulders of demons. Either way, that thing's still pointed at me in three seconds, I'm gonna get real ornery, boy, REAL ornery. Look me in the eyes - God's will is in these eyes. You know it, Praise Be.

Don't make me waste a bullet.

One.

I'm countin', boy.

Two."

- - -

DOGS IN THE VINEYARD

dogs.jpg

Dogs in the Vineyard is about God’s Watchdogs, young men and women called to preserve the Faithful in a hostile frontier territory. They travel from town to isolated town, carrying mail, news, and doctrine, healing the sick, supporting the weary, and pronouncing judgment upon the wicked. Sharpshooters, Cowboy-Priests, and Holy Horsemen alike - a town welcomes you with celebration and honor, but what you’re there to do is stir up its dirt and lay bare its sins.

The setting is a fantasy inspired by pre-statehood Utah, the Deseret Territory, toward the middle of the 19th century. Picture a landscape of high mountains, icy rivers and cedar woods, falling away westward into scrublands, deserts, buttes and swells. The summer skies are heartbreaking blue, but the winters are long and killing. "Mountain Men", ancestors of those who properly own this land before it was ravaged from them, maintain an uneasy truce with the frontiers in some places, and outright wage war with them in others,

Picture religious pioneers, fleeing persecution and violence in the East. They’re trying to establish a society based on faith and righteousness out in this frontier. They’ve made the long trek westward but they’re still in danger: their towns are small and isolated, vulnerable to attack from without, sin and corruption within. Under pressure, their pride becomes sin, their anger becomes violence, their resentments become hate. Winter and the demons howl...

You are God’s Watchdogs, holding the Faith together.
- - -

"I have trodden the winepress alone; and of the people there was none with me: for I will tread them in mine anger, and trample them in my fury; and their blood shall be sprinkled upon my garments, and I will stain all my raiment."
- - -

Cornelius patrolled, shotgun slung over his shoulder, coat rusting about his ankles but not once touching the dust road. He had but two more days before he was due out, after the marriage he was asked to bless. All the mail had been sorted, and his belongings were packed into the small rucksack he kept tied to Bessie's saddle.

He heard footsteps, then, and from the corner of his eye, he saw it - a tall, dark man, standing idle, under hat and coat, no weapon at his side. None that could be seen, anyway.

The Dog kept walking, wiggling his fingers along the hold of his gun. His eyes locked straight ahead to where he planned to call rest before checking the far end of town. He was steel, full and focused.

From his left came a sound: a sort of low, crackling growl, and a hiss, and the tall man who was there was not upright and imposing, but instead hunched over, wringing his hands together... except his hands were dark red, bruised and scratched, long, broken claws jutting from the tips. His face had become a snout, his eyes dark as the night air around him. The demon's long coat ripped open at the back, revealing a ridged, humped spine full of quills.

It ran straight for Cornelius, yet he did not blink - he hadn't the time to, his body whipping around to face thing, firing before he had even come to a stop. The evil beast went flying against the wall of the saloon, ragged holes ripped out of him from the blast.

Yet still it rose back, growling and drooling, and behind Cornelius, he heard the scampering of many a like beast, cackling and whispering. He didn't know how many rounds he had left on him.

- - -

Old_Cross.jpg

Each session is a single town, where the Dogs arrive to deliver mail, perform ceremony, preach wisdom, and, most importantly, deal with any problems that may arise. The Watchdogs have unspoken authority to drag sinners out into the street and shoot them, convert them to the Faith, or try to ease them of their hardships (even if their authority is sometimes challenged by non-believers, or the local Law who doesn't want any trouble in his town).

The Dogs must deal with the sin, they must lay Judgement, but how they do that is up to them: do they preach and speak wisdom? Are they diplomatic? Are they fair? Or will all sins meet the same fate at the end of a gun?

The ethics and moral problems of how to deal with each case are what makes Dogs in the Vineyard so fun to watch. One Dog is out for blood, the other seeks to find a more peaceful solution: how will things resolve?
- - -

"Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss."

- - -

THE FAITH
The whole name of the Faith is the Faith of All Things in the King of Life, Reborn.
The whole name of the Dogs is the Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful. Casually, the King’s Dogs or Life’s Watchdogs. Dogs are always called Brother or Sister by their first name: Brother Jeremiah, Sister Patience.
The Faith is the only true religion in the world. All other religions are a) actively demonic, cults created by Faithful leaders fallen into sin; b) corrupt and decadent, like the majority religions of the East; or c) idle nonsense, like most of the religions in the wider world.

TERRITORIAL AUTHORITY
Representatives of the Territorial Authority will generally be either a claims officer or other bureaucrat, or a circuit rider not unlike you Dogs. Only larger towns will have any sort of Territorial law enforcement — a sheriff — but he’s most likely to be Faithful, elected to the job by his congregation. The Territorial Authority’s real concern is that taxes are paid and nobody interferes with the mail — it worries about “keeping the peace” only insofar as lawlessness interferes with taxes and mail.
It’s worth pointing out that the Dogs are authorized by the Faith to do some things — like shoot sinners in the street — that are against the law. Exercise your authority cautiously.
- - -

But all this fluff is useless unless we have some players! You don't need the rulebook: The requisite rules for character creation are below. A good group of Dogs has three members, so that's what we're shooting for - three players. Depending on interest level, I'll extend signups for a while, but they'll most likely close within a week. May the best characters win?

A few points about this game:
- The game itself will be played in PbP format.
- If you want to run your initiation conflict with me on IRC, that's great! I am usually on most nights between 8pm and 1am Japanese Standard Time.
- If you want to see how the game looks in play, I suggest you check out either of these two (abandoned) games - robotsunshine's and SAW776's.

Some Helpful Things
Antique Guns
Appropriate clothing for the era (and again)
Fiery Words for a Dog to say, from the Book of Life

This OP was shamelessly stolen from robotsunshine's Dogs in the Vineyard OOC thread!

simonwolf on

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CHARACTERS

You play one of God's Watchdogs, called to service in the Faith. You travel between isolated congregations called "Branches" and hold the Faith together. You have a long coat - colorful, beautiful, hand-pieced and quilted by your friends and family back home. It is your badge, a powerful symbol of your authority. You represent Judgment and Mercy on behalf of God, whom we call The King of Life.

Starting characters can be male or female, but are between 18-23. They've had two months or so in training, education, and ceremony to prepare, and they know one another. They are unmarried virgins, trusted to travel in mixed company.

When your character arrives at a Branch and finds a problem, he or she can take whatever steps are necessary, and non one can justly complain. Your character acts on behalf of the King of Life - if anyone has a problem, they can take it up with Him.

Does this mean you can't sin? No. But you're the only one allowed to judge your character's actions. Your conscience is in your own hands - are you a remorseless monster, or a destroying angel? The game can't tell the difference.

STEP ONE: What's your background?
    - Well-Rounded: Your character is straightforward, balanced, and effective, a good choice for men born into the Faith.
    17d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 4d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Strong History: Your character has a good education, lots of experience, or specialized training.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 3d6 4d8 3d10 in Trait dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Relationship dice

- Complicated History: Your character had a troubled, dangerous, or challenging upbringing. It's a good choice for those converted into the Faith.

- Strong Community: Your character is socially adept, and from a strong, caring family. It's a good choice for women born into the Faith.
    13d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 3d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 4d8 3d10 in Relationship dice

- Complicated Community: Your character is socially vulnerable, or from a broken or destructive family.
    15d6 in Stat dice, 6d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d4 2d6 2d8 2d10 in Relationship dice

STEP TWO: Place your stats
    Divvy up those Stat dice between your stats (don't roll them!). If you had, say 10d6 in Stat dice, you could put 2d6 in one Stat, 3d6 in another, another 3d10 in a third Stat, and the last 2d6 in another.

The minimum for each stat is 2d6, with no maximum.

ACUITY - You are perceptive, alert, educated, clever, savvy, or well-read.
    BODY - You are big, healthy, strong, wiry, muscular, tall, graceful, quick, or steady.
    HEART - You are compassionate, attractive, charming, gentle, courageous, enduring, faithful, or likable.
    WILL - You are tenacious, aggressive, confident, unflinching, strong-willed, or unshakable.

STEP THREE - Traits!
    You get to make these up. Whatever you think would be relevant or interesting to your line of work: Horsemanship is a good one, and so is Preaching and Biblical Lore. But you can also word them to be little tidbits of history, like, "My mama used to read to me from the Book of Life every night before bed" could be a Trait. Or it could be facts about yourself - "I taught myself how to shoot a gun".

Either way, give yourself some and assign your Trait dice to them. You can double up dice as much as you want, but only one type of die per Trait (you can have Horsemansip 1d6 or 7d6, but you can't have Horsemanship 1d6 1d10 or anything like that). If you need some Trait inspiration, write "I'm a good shot" as your first Trait, and then use that to branch out - where did you learn to shoot? From whom? Why did you learn to shoot? etc.

When assigning dice, don't match die size to Traits by competence (higher die sizes are better), but by how important or interesting that Trait is to your character. "I can shoot a can from a mile away 1d4" versus "I'm not sure about my line of work, and I doubt myself 3d10" means that the latter is a lot more important to you, and factors in prominently to how things will unfold.

d4 - such Traits make it more likely you'll suffer consequences in conflicts. Take them as disadvantages, but also as complications: "I'm a good shot 1d4" means that you can shoot, but when the guns come out, your life gets more complicated.

THE RULE - You HAVE to either take "I'm a Dog" as a Trait, or in the next step, take a Relationship with the Dogs. Your choice.

STEP FOUR - Relationships
    Name a couple of people your character has some sort of relationship with and assign them dice (following Trait dice rules above). Don't make many, save the dice for later on in play, when you can make new Relationships on the fly.

Blood - when you meet kin, you get then as a Relationship for fre at 1d6. You can spend dice if you want to change that.

STEP FIVE - Belongings
    Name some things you carry with you. If you decide they need dice, give them to them (as in, do you imagine they'll come up in a relevant way in conflict with other characters? Weapons will, and so may bibles. Use your judgement, but don't worry - you can improvise their dice on the fly if you need to). There's no limit, just what you could reasonably carry with you. We won't get picky.

Dogs might carry books, stationary and pens, a water flask, or other things. They definitely carry their coat, a gun, the Book of Life, a horse, and a jar of consecrated earth,

Giving them dice - give them the appropriate dice if normal.

Normal thing - 1d6
    Excellent things - 2d6
    Big things - 1d8
    Excellent and big - 2d8
    Crap things - 1d4

A good knife 2d8
    Old boots 1d6
    An old, bad revolver 2d4 (1d4 for being crap, +1d4 for being a gun)
    Massive shotgun 1d8 1d4

If the thing is a gun, it gets an additional 1d4 no mater what it is.

Your coat - give this dice, and write down what patterns and colors it has. Most coats start at 2d6, being excellent. Feel free to change that though.

SIXTH AND FINAL STEP - Your accomplishment
    Say something that you have your character accomplished duirng initition into being a Watchdog. (Maybe it's, "I hope I earned the respect of my peers," or, "I hope I learned to solve conflicts without violence," or, "I hope I shook my fear of all things demonic and corrupt." Don't pick something that'll break your character if it goes sour.)

Next, you and the GM (hey, me!) will have a mini-conflict, which will perfectly explain the dice rolling rules of the game to you (if you can tell if one number is higher than another, you can do this). At the end of it, we'll discover how your accomplishment went, and you'll get a new d6 Trait for it, even if it went bad.

HELPFUL RESOURCES
    Your name is going to be Brother or Sister something. Here's some great names, just for Dogs in the Vineyard: http://www.bullypulpitgames.com/projects/names/milk_and_honey2.pdf

BACKGROUND
    By the time you're 12 or 13, your Branch Steward is possibly considering you to be a Dog. The Steward guides and watches you up until about age 17. At 18-20, the Steward interviews you and asks you to be a Dog. You say your goodbyes, pack, and head East to the Dogs' temple in Bridal Falls City. You train for two months, along with about 15 others, depending on the spiritual haul.

Your teachers' goal isn't to make you a Dog - that's your job. They are there to:
    - prove or cull you
    - train you
    - educate you
    - initiate you
    - inspire you,
    and what you do with that is up to you.

Meanwhile, at home, your family and town are busy making your coat. Everyone comes to ceremoniously give a stitch. The condition and beauty of your coat reflects those back home. Afterwards, it is blessed with consecrated earth and a laying-on of hands. Towards the end of your training regimen, you receive mail from home, and it's your coat, along with letters and notes.

You serve as a Dog for about three or four years. Your coat gets damaged, and the communities you serve will repair it or replace it out of respect. This is a typical case, and your Dog's mileage may vary.

Next, you get a route and companions. You return to the Temple about twice annually.

Your duties:
    - deliver mail and news
    - participate in local ceremony or office
    - deliver doctrine or interpretation to the Branch and its Steward
    - preach
    - participate in (but hold yourself away from) social functions and celebrations
    - help out with physical work

It goes without saying that Dogs don't drink (booze, coffee, or black tea - instead, they go for herbal tea or soft drinks), and only old people smoke anyways.

So now you have all that done, what's your character sheet going to look like? Here's an example I whipped up:
    Brother Eli Messenger - Well-Rounded History

Statistics - 17d6
    Acuity - 5
    Body - 5
    Heart - 3
    Will - 4

Traits - 1d4, 4d6, 2d8
    I spent a year in the Territorial Armies - 1d4
    I had discipline beaten into me - 1d6
    I'm loyal to a fault - 1d6
    I'm know how to shoot - 2d6
    I was born in the saddle - 1d8
    I've got a big iron on my hip - 1d8

Relationships - 4d6, 2d8
    The Order Set Apart to the Preservation of Faith and the Faithful - 2d6
    Territorial Army - 1d6

Possessions
    Eli's coat is a brightly-decorated object, covered with patterns put down by his extended family. Although a diverse range of colours are used, a bright, peaceful blue was chosen as the primary motif, reflecting his old cavalry uniform. His old insignia was also incorporated into the design, with the stripes of his rank snaking their way up his arm from the cuff. 2d6
    Colt Dragoon revolver- 2d8 1d4
    A dulled cavalry saber - 1d6
    Archippus (his horse) - 1d6

My Accomplishment
    "I hope I learned to move beyond my army days."

See how easy that was? As you can see, my character has a strong sense of what he can do, as well as where he wants to go in the game, but also leaves a lot of options open for development.

Now you know what a character will look like, here's a blank sheet that you can use:
    Your character's name here!

Statistics - [whatever your history says]
    Acuity -
    Body -
    Heart -
    Will -

Traits -
      Relationships -
        Possessions

My Accomplishment

simonwolf on
      • Options
        simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Here's how the rules work: Say yes or roll the dice. Repeat that to yourself every second of every scene. Look at what's happening - the cobbler's wife seems unhappy. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's ducking out of service, saying she feels ill. Say yes, or roll the dice. She's been doing this for weeks now.

Say yes (I agree, that is acceptable, it makes sense) or roll the dice (oh-no-you-fucking-don't, I don't want the scene to go this way, it would be better if someone intervened)

You constantly want to move towards the next conflict (conflict, here, means when we roll dice to see what happens). See, here, you don't roll the way you do in say, D&D or White Wolf. If you want to do something, then you do it. Do you see the ambush before it happens? Depends - is it dramatically appropriate? Does the rest of the group care? Say yes or roll the dice. You have the option to interrupt anything, even what the GM says, and force it into a fight. So look for the next possible conflict. Be aggressive! You don't have to roll to see if you can pick a lock, or things like that. It's on a grander scale. Let's look at how to do a conflict, first, and this will make more sense.

There's a problem. Someone didn't say Yes. The GM decided to pick on you. Something's wrong.
        1. Establish what's at stake, anyone can suggest this. The stakes are what the conflict is about, what we're fighting over, what's so important.
          - What's at stake is, does your brother shoot the woman?
        2. Set the stage. Fancy up the scene and get everyone in the mood.
          - Dust swirls around our feet, only to spiral down the road behind me. I've got my finger on the trigger and I'm shaking my head. It's unbearably hot, everyone's sweating. By now, school's out, and the kids nearby are wise that something's up - they're crowding around. The woman's crying, and my brother's pointing his gun straight at her.
        3. Who's participating in this conflict?
        4. Take up dice depending on how you want to enter the conflict (these are called Arenas):
          - We're just talking (Acuity + Heart)
          - Things are getting physical, but we're not fighting (Body + Heart)
          - Fist-fights (Body + Will)
          - We pulled out the guns (Acuity + Will)

You can roll your Relationship dice if the Relation is what's at stake or is your opponent.
        5. Everyone rolls their dice for all to see.
        6. Take turns Raising and Seeing.
          To Raise, say what your character does and put two dice forward. Do something your opponent can't ignore.
          - (dice: 5, 6) I stare him down, not even flinching when he shifts the gun to me. I act like I hadn't even noticed. "Jed. Stop this. You ain't got it in ya, and there ain't no reason for all this. Put it away. I don't wanna have to put my hands on you, but I will if I gotta."

To See, put forward any amount of dice that equals or exceeds the standing Raise (less dice is better). So, the current Raise is 5 and 6 (above), with is 5 + 6 = 11. So you need to put forward some of your dice that equals or betters 11.
          - (4, 3, 3, 2) I see he's not kidding. And, honestly? I don't have it in me. I can't shoot my brother. I couldn't shoot this woman... I won't say it out loud, but I'm afraid. My gun lowers to my side, and I take a few steps back, not wanting to get tackled right off. "Alright, Samuel. Alright. We gotta talk, though, okay...?" I'm almost in tears. "She done me wrong, brother..."
          • When you See, if you can do it with one die, that's Reversing The Blow. You turn the Raise back on your attacker somehow (he swings, but you grab his fist and squeeze, forcing him down; he tells you the King of Life has a place for him, and you remind him how the Steward said Heaven had no place for a sinner such as he). Keep your See die - you get to (and have to) use it for your next Raise!
          • If you See with two dice, that's a Block or a Dodge. Say how you defend against the attack.
          • If you See with three or more dice, that's Taking The Blow. Say how the blow lands and how your charater reacts. You also get Fallout Dice, which will later on change and affect your character, possibly for the worse. You take a number of dice equal to how many you used to See, and set them aside - if the blow wasn't physical, those dice are d4s. If they were physical, then they're d6s. If a weapon was used against you, it's a d8, and if it was a bullet, it's a d10.
          • If you don't want to See, you can Give. This is a pretty standard action, don't be afraid to do it. You lose the Stakes and the conflict, but you get bonus dice for a follow-up conflict! You do NOT Take the Blow or anything, you basically get out of the conflict free, and you don't win it. Take your single highest die and keep it for a follow-up conflict. A follow-up conflict's stakes follow directly from the previous conflict's resolution. You can actually try the exact same Stakes again, but to do so, the number of participants, the location, and the opening arena (Just Talking, Fist-Fighting, etc.) must be different, all three.

Follow-up conflicts and Giving are important parts, and we will all be pushing towards them. Fight with all your heart, but don't be afraid if you need to Give.

That's the structure:
        - Stakes?
        - Stage?
        - Who's involved?
        - Roll dice
        - I Raise, you See.
        - You Raise, I See,
        - etc., until someone doesn't have the dice to See

Also, if more than people need to See a given Raise, that's acceptable. Their Sees are different and exclusive, though - they don't add their dice to beat yours. They beat you separately. And yes, you will sometimes be Raising and Seeing against each other as players!

ESCALATING
        That's all well and good. Let's say we're Just Talking, and I'm about to run out of dice. What I can do is Escalate, and move out of Just Talking into, let's say, Fist-Fighting (the arenas are Just Talking, Physical but not fighting, Fist-Fighting, and Guns). I get to roll my Stats for Fist-Fighting and add those dice to my already standing dice, and of course, the conflict's taken a turn, where we're not just talking, we're actually fighting.

You can only roll a Stat once per conflict, so if an escalation calls for you to roll Acuity + Heart, and you've already rolled Heart, just roll Acuity.

TRAITS AND THINGS
        When you use one of your Traits as a Raise or See, you get to to roll its dice. Same for a Belonging. You can only roll a Trait / Belonging once per conflict. You can keep using in the conflict as much as you want, you just don't get the dice for it.

You roll their dice before putting them forward, and you don't have to use them if you don't like them. You can even use them for a separate See or Raise.

CEREMONY
        You can do neat spiritual things, like Call someone by their True Name (said to summon demon's attention and obedience), Sing Praise, Recite from the Book of Life, or Make the Sign of the Tree (right hand, palm out, shoulder level, fingers wide spread) as part of a Raise or See, especially against demons. It looks badass.

FALLOUT
        Nasty stuff!
        - Roll all your Fallout dice after conflict. Add the two highest together.
        - You'll be presented with a list of Fallout Consequences according to the sum, and you get to pick something to add to your character. Less than 8 is pretty safe, with only short-term damage. More than 8 is lasting harm, bad stuff, and more than 12 is injured. 20 or higher, and your character is dead.
        - Fallout will be dealt with as it happens, since it's not immediately relevant. Just know that it's bad.

Here's the list of Fallout Consequences, for quick reference when I tell you what to choose from!

Short-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats for your next conflict.
        - Take a new trait rated 1d4 for your next conflict.
        - Change the dice of one of your character’s Relationships to d4s for your next conflict.
        - Have your character leave the scene and spend some time alone. Only choose this one if nobody else launches a follow-up conflict.

Long-term Fallout:
        - Subtract 1 from one of your character’s Stats.
        - Take a new trait at 1d4.
        - Take a new relationship at 1d4.
        - Add 1d to an existing d4 trait or relationship.
        - Subtract 1d from an existing d6+ trait or relationship.
        - Change the die size of an existing trait or relationship to d4.
        - Erase a Belonging from your character’s sheet.
        - Change the description of your coat to include bad damage. Reduce your coat’s dice as appropriate.

Experience Fallout:
        - Add 1 to one of your Stats.
        - Create a new Trait at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Trait.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Trait.
        - Create a new Relationship at 1d6.
        - Add or subtract 1 die from an existing Relationship.
        - Change the d-size of an existing Relationship.
        - Write a new Belonging on your character sheet and give it its usual dice.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        3clipse wrote: »
        So the last thread of this game just quietly died.

Here's hoping this one lives! :D

Shit, man, you ruined my combo!

Hurry up and get rid of that, if you could. Please?

simonwolf on
      • Options
        3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        simonwolf wrote: »
        So the last thread of this game just quietly died.

Here's hoping this one lives! :D

Shit, man, you ruined my combo!

Hurry up and get rid of that, if you could. Please?

Done. My bad dude, sorry!

3cl1ps3 on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

No worries, mate. I'm hoping to be the first GM who doesn't cause the game to die - I predict failure on all accounts.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Colour me slightly interested. Will look this over later. I hear the system's really good once you get to grips with it.

SUPERSUGA on
      • Options
        3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
        edited September 2009

No worries, mate. I'm hoping to be the first GM who doesn't cause the game to die - I predict failure on all accounts.

To be fair, my game was caused by the GM disappearing, so I think it's well within your power to keep the game alive.

Suga: yeah, it takes some getting used to, but it's pretty slick once you get the hang of it.

3cl1ps3 on
      • Options
        MegazverMegazver Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I'll read the rulebook.

Megazver on
        Chief Tyrol. Academician Megazver of the Jol-Nar Universities
      • Options
        CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Oh please, I'm extremely interested, seen this game twice on here but was too late to join both times. Will work on my character.

EDIT: Actually, I can't get into this right now. Have fun everybody.

Cheeseliker on
      • Options
        summerycleptsummeryclept Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        One "join," please! (already own the rulebook, so happy to see this)

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        One "join," please! (already on the rulebook, so happy to see this)

Nice! It's always good to hear someone else has the rulebook, so they can constantly clarify rules and tell me what I am doing wrong, all the time. It worked wonderfully in my old D&D game.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

Nice! It's always good to hear someone else has the rulebook, so they can constantly clarify rules and tell me what I am doing wrong, all the time. It worked wonderfully in my old D&D game.

Not only will I do this, but I will also spit on you and everything you own.

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

Not only will I do this, but I will also spit on you and everything you own.

Man now you're just soundin' like my ex!

Which is probably not as much of a good thing as I think it is.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Shameless bump!

I ammended the second post to include a sample character of my own making, as well as a character sheet that's blank, so you can easily make your own. Ain't I sweet.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        So kibitzing: y / n? It takes longer to do here, so I'm assuming not. But if so! here's what I'm shooting for, and I'll make the character tomorrow.

Sister Prudence - slow, soft in the head, but not mentally challenged or anything, just really thick and dumb at times. Unquestioning loyalty to God and the Watchdogs (though not necessarily those traveling with her). Little patience and quick to anger when she feels stupid or embarrased. She's all might, all judgment, very little capacity for shades of gray - you either sin or you don't, and you either atone or you don't.

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        So kibitzing: y / n? It takes longer to do here, so I'm assuming not. But if so! here's what I'm shooting for, and I'll make the character tomorrow.

I have never come across that terminology before, but now I have, and I am better for it! I honestly enjoy discussing games I'm involved in with others, so I'm perfectly alright with talking this stuff over with you. Being a PbP format, everything is going to be a smidge slowed down - if you want instant advice, you can always hop into the Critical Failures IRC channel.
        Sister Prudence - slow, soft in the head, but not mentally challenged or anything, just really thick and dumb at times. Unquestioning loyalty to God and the Watchdogs (though not necessarily those traveling with her). Little patience and quick to anger when she feels stupid or embarrased. She's all might, all judgment, very little capacity for shades of gray - you either sin or you don't, and you either atone or you don't.

I like the concept, and there's some clear character development potential in there! Especially with stuff like her personal morality regarding sin. I wonder how long that'll actually last, depending on the situations that get thrown at her while she's in the service?

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

I have never come across that terminology before, but now I have, and I am better for it! I honestly enjoy discussing games I'm involved in with others, so I'm perfectly alright with talking this stuff over with you. Being a PbP format, everything is going to be a smidge slowed down - if you want instant advice, you can always hop into the Critical Failures IRC channel.

I like the concept, and there's some clear character development potential in there! Especially with stuff like her personal morality regarding sin. I wonder how long that'll actually last, depending on the situations that get thrown at her while she's in the service?

That's the fun of it, totally. Her world view has made her unprepared psychologically, but apt physically. So I predict total emotional breakdown once she sees that everything isn't clear-cut. This leads to frustration, leading to anger, leading to violence - except at that point, she won't know who to be violent towards. Cue some tense shit!

Love to hear what others have cooked up.

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        I am making Boris, the Afro-Russian samurai for both this and the Mountain Witch.

Just cause I can.

Megazver on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Megazver wrote: »
        I am making Boris, the Afro-Russian samurai for both this and the Mountain Witch.

Just cause I can.

You are banned from all my games. Forever.

Just because I can.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        nooooooooooooooooooooo

Megazver on
      • Options
        PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I've always been interested in the setting. I'll take a look at the rulebook and see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Plutonium on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Plutonium wrote: »
        I've always been interested in the setting. I'll take a look at the rulebook and see what I can come up with in the next few days.

Please do! It's pretty much going to be "first come, first serve" with the characters, since the overall interest level in this game seems to have dropped since the last attempt at a game. However, the PAX weekend did just get out, so maybe there'll be a small spurt of interested people.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I was in a game of this. It was fun. Then it died quietly.

Kay on
        ew9y0DD.png
        3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Kay wrote: »

So play in this one, eh eh?

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

So play in this one, eh eh?

simonwolf on
      • Options
        KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I will think on it.

I get wordy in PbP, though.

Kay on
        ew9y0DD.png
        3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        So here's what I've got.
        Sister Prudence Sprague

Acuity - 2d6
        Body - 4d6
        Heart - 3d6
        Will - 6d6

Traits - 4d4 2d6 2d10

Relationships - 5d6 2d8
        Steward O'Hare - 1d6

Possessions
        -Coat: 2d6 (grays, reds, and browns - a lot of fancy stitchwork, triangles and swoops, a short verse stitched into the back)

My Accomplishment: "I hope I taught my peers that there's no room for weakness within our Order."

Prudence Sprague grew up in the cold and snow. Her Mother died when she was young, and she grew up entirely under her Father. He taught her the values of God and family, and instilled in her her (very basic) outlook on life. Sister Prudence was out helping in the field at the age of 13, being unusually strong for her age.

Prudence was shipped off from the isolated Sprague family farm to a nearby Stewardship where she lived under a host family in order to practice and learn under the eye of the Steward. Her host family was a bit "softer" than she was, morally, and she treated them with grim formality and respect, nothing more.

The day she packed up to head to the Temple, an eager cadet elected by the Steward, she received word that her Father had died weeks earlier. It's weighed on her mind ever since.

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        I will think on it.

Even better.
        So here's what I've got.
        Sister Prudence Sprague

Acuity - 2d6
        Body - 4d6
        Heart - 3d6
        Will - 6d6

Traits - 4d4 2d6 2d10

Relationships - 5d6 2d8
        (none)

Possessions

Lookin' good! I'm assuming that your character has decided not to take a pistol, and instead carry the shotgun around with her? That's an interesting choice, and I think it'd make for good conflict fuel! But if you want a pistol, as well, that'd be fine and dandy - but it'd probably be issued by the Order, and not be anything special (standard 1d4+1d6).

Otherwise, everything seems to be in order aside from relationship dice - even if you chose just one person to have dice assigned, perhaps a fellow Dog Acolyte from training or one of your mentors, I think it'd be better than having none. Everyone has someone, if you get what I'm saying.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        I will think on it.

Even better.
        So here's what I've got.
        Sister Prudence Sprague

Acuity - 2d6
        Body - 4d6
        Heart - 3d6
        Will - 6d6

Traits - 4d4 2d6 2d10

Relationships - 5d6 2d8
        (none)

Possessions

Lookin' good! I'm assuming that your character has decided not to take a pistol, and instead carry the shotgun around with her? That's an interesting choice, and I think it'd make for good conflict fuel! But if you want a pistol, as well, that'd be fine and dandy - but it'd probably be issued by the Order, and not be anything special (standard 1d4+1d6).

Otherwise, everything seems to be in order aside from relationship dice - even if you chose just one person to have dice assigned, perhaps a fellow Dog Acolyte from training or one of your mentors, I think it'd be better than having none. Everyone has someone, if you get what I'm saying.

Relationships amended! I'm sticking with just the shotgun, for now.

summeryclept on
      • Options
        edited September 2009

Relationships amended! I'm sticking with just the shotgun, for now.[/QUOTE]

Alright, sorted! I've already got your accomplishment conflict in my mind and ready to roll, so that's sorted for now. Now we just need to find Prudence a couple of partners in [strike]crime[/strike] righteousness.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        This looks pretty interesting. Have all places been spoken for, may I ask?

Wildcat on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        It's still first come first serve, mate! Once I get three characters, I'll give everyone one more day, then close it up and start the game.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        OK, let's have a quick run through at character creation:
        Brother Napthali Atkinson

Background: Well-rounded (17d6 in Stat dice, 1d4 4d6 2d8 in Trait dice, 4d6 2d8 in Relationship dice)

Stats (17d6):

Acuity: 3d6
        Body: 5d6
        Heart: 5d6
        Will: 4d6

Traits (1d4, 4d6, 2d8):

1d6: "I'm a Dog."
        1d4: "I can shoot, but not all that well."
        1d8: "I'm a lot better at riding than I am at walking; comes with being raised around horses."
        1d8: "I do believe in what we do, however hard it can be."
        1d6: "I know a lot of the Book of Life off by heart, but I have to think about it a bit sometimes."
        2d6: "I don't like the more brutal aspect of this calling."

Relationships (4d6, 2d8):

Clarence Winthrop (stablehand at the Temple): 1d6
        Matthew Brackett (fellow trainee Dog at Temple): 1d6

Belongings:

Coat (2d6): a tan coloured coat with an extensive design of loops, swirls and spirals in several colours of blue, red and ochre - no straight lines at all
        Horse (2d6): Aristobulus, a fine palomino quarter horse
        Family Book of Life (1d6): pretty worn but a treasured link to home
        Revolver (1d6 1d4): old but perfectly serviceable

Accomplishment:

"I hope I learned to stand up for my Faith and what I believe in, even in the face of others making their own judgements."

That's most of the headings filled bar belongings and a history (rough outline so far: one of three sons of a horse farming family, raised in the Faith but with a more merciful bent than some may prefer). How's that stack up, do you think?

Wildcat on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        That's a pretty good character, all up - at first I thought his accomplishment may be a bit too complex, but I gave it a bit of thought and came up with a good initiation for him to go through. Belongings doesn't need to be filled to the brim - really what you need to come up with is your coat and its description, and a gun - everything else has values assigned to it within the book. You don't even need the gun, technically!

But yeah, all that's left is a coat description and a bit more history fleshed out, and that's a completed character.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Good stuff. I'll try to get him finished off either tonight or first thing tomorrow morning, then.

Wildcat on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Alright, that leaves us with one more slot open before I announce the final deadline.

It feels so weird to basically be begging for people to sign up for a game! Maybe I should start my conversion setting for 4th Edition, that'll get me about twenty players in five hours.

simonwolf on
      • Options
        PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I'm still considering signing up, but I think Kay wanted the spot more than I did.

Plutonium on
      • Options
        jimninjajimninja Registered User regular
        edited September 2009
        I would also be interested if no one else wants the spot.

update: I've done up my coat real nice and added a relationship with the Dogs, which I forgot to do earlier.
        2nd update: added initiation trait; was missing a d4 trait so I added "teetotaller" as 1d10 and knocked Daddy roughed me up down to 1d4

Brother Esau
        Brother Esau

Complicated History: Your character had a troubled, dangerous, or challenging upbringing.

It's a good choice for those converted into the Faith.
        ============Stats=============
        ACUITY 2d6
        BODY 4d6
        HEART 5d6
        WILL 4d6

============Traits============
        imposing demeanor - 1d10
        teetotaller - 1d10
        secret softy - 1d6
        I'm a hard worker and stubborn as a mule. - 1d6
        "I an't shaken by bigotry, for the King of Life loves all His Dogs." - 1d6
        raised a Mountain Man - 2d4
        don't like shootin much - 1d4
        Daddy roughed me up - 1d4

========Relationships=========
        Toothless Wolf (father) - 1d8
        God's Watchdogs - 1d8
        Brother Jacob (converter) - 2d6
        Brother Pete Stars (from Memphisto) - 1d6
        left: 2d6

============Items=============
        Deep red coat, patterned with ancient Mountain designs: squares and triangles, forming pyramids and pseudo-human figures; a single verse is stitched inside the left breast: "Whatsoever thou takest in hand, remember the end, and thou shalt never do amiss." - 2d6
        old dusty revolver - 2d4
        Book of Life - 1d6
        nag named Absalom - 1d8
        jar of consecrated earth - 1d6
        dried herbs and poultices for Mountain medicine - 2d6

============Goal==============
        "I hope I overcame the prejudice against me as a Mountain Man, for I have truly vested my faith in Him."

=========Background===========
        The boy was a Mountain Man, born and raised in a village having a bad time dealing with the influx of Eastern folk and their pastimes. Though the Faith don't take kindly to alcohol and other vices of life, traders don't have the same compunctions--this particular village had dealt with a lot of issues relating to their ongoing 'civilization' by contact with the settlers. Former hunters sat on their asses playing cards all day, while their wives worked fields sown with seed bought too dear; the Spirits were half-forgotten when the Medicine Man caught something from a passing caravan that made his ears bleed and his eyes gum over; the boy's father, Toothless Wolf, crawled into a bottle of the demon rum. His childhood was punctuated by blows just soft enough to leave no mark, while his mother lay ailing in bed and the family scraped by on the charity of neighbors. It was finished when she died, and the bruises appeared.

One day, a Dog by the name of Brother Jacob arrived. The boy, and indeed many of his fellow townspeople, had never heard of the Faith before, but that didn't matter--Jacob was there to convert. Over time, he won many of the townspeople by his fiery rhetoric and consecrated them and their village with holy earth. Toothless Wolf was unimpressed. The boy left home in the middle of the night and caught the Dog Jacob as he was leaving. With what little English he knew, he begged to be taken away from his father.

Brother Jacob took him to be schooled in the ways of the True Faith and gave him the name Esau. Esau studied diligently, if slowly, and took to the teachings of the Faith well--after all, this religion was better schooled in dealing with the corruptions it battled than the timeless one his people had once practiced, before the evils of disease, gambling, and liquor descended upon them, and that was what Esau wanted, being a young man in need of guidance.

Brother Esau is not particularly apt, but he is kind-hearted and charitable. His particular battle is that against vice: the lessons of his childhood abuse at the hands of a drunkard father have stayed with him. He is reluctant to solve problems with violence, and would sooner use a gentle word to make a man see the error of his ways. Adolescence gifted him a strong, broad, and tall body, which he eagerly put to use in the gardens at his newly adopted home; now, it is no mean aid for resolving a conflict, for many would sooner watch their tongues than cross such an imposing figure--even if he is gentle at heart.

jimninja on
        0198ec55.jpg
      • Options
        tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
        edited September 2009
        Have any of you read "Hope Chest," a short story by Garth Nix? This setting immediately put me in mind of that story, and it's tempting to try to make a character based on the protagonist.

tzeentchling on
      • Options
        edited September 2009
        Alright! With three characters sorted, I'm going to give twenty-four hours before signups are officially closed. Anyone who submits a character before then will be in the running for a slot, so get crackin'!

For emphasis, characters will be accepted for another 24 hours, ending at 11pm EST.

simonwolf on