How do I register for PAX?
You can register online at http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/registration.php
It's after February 25, if I order my ticket online, where do I pick it up?
In the Will Call line (location to be disclosed)
How do I get the PAX discount on my hotel room?
All information on hotels offering a PAX discount is available at this link.
All pricing given is per night
What days can you book for at the discounted rate?
Thursday Check-in - Monday Check-Out (note: thursday night and sunday night discount rooms are more limited)
Do they charge my credit card when I reserve my room?
No, they only use your credit card to hold the room unless otherwise indicated. When you check in, they put a hold on the card you present them at that time for the amount of your stay and when you check out they charge that, plus any billable charges (phone calls, pay per view, room service) to your card at that time.
How far away are the hotels from the convention center?
They range from immediately next door to up to two miles. Make sure to pay attention to the distance listed when choosing your hotel.
How many people can stay in one hotel room?
Most hotels allow four, however be aware when you reserve a room with four people per room, they tack on an additional charge. Typically they base this on how many keys you ask for.
X hotel's website says the PAX rate is sold out for date y. What does this mean?
This means that Hotel X
will not honor the PAX rate for date y
. If you're having trouble with the website, call the hotel.
What time is check in at these hotels?
Most hotels have check in between noon and 3pm. If you're going to be arriving in town later in the evening or at night, be sure to let the hotel know when you make your reservation. If you are arriving early, most hotels will hold your luggage if you want to see the city before check-in time
How much does it cost to park?
(taken from another website, information may be outdated)
Parking Around the Hynes Convention Center
If at all possible, avoid driving into Boston. Traffic is challenging, street parking is difficult to find, and private parking is extremely expensive. If you must drive, here are some suggestions.
Hynes Convention Center:
Hynes has no on site parking. The official garage is the Boston Common Garage. The link takes you to the center’s driving directions.
Boston Common Garage
: This is a comparatively affordable garage by Boston standards. The entrance and exit is on Charles Street on the block between the Common and the Public Garden. It is eight blocks from the Hynes. You can also ride a few stops on the Green subway line from Arlington Station to the Copley or Hynes Convention Center stations. The maximum charge for 24 hours is $23.
: There are parking lots at the end of subway lines that charge low rates of $2-5 per day. This could be a great way of getting into the city, especially if you are only coming for the day. This parking has easy access to regional highways with direct rides on the subways and trolleys to downtown Boston. One example is the parking lot at Riverside Station in Newton, Massachusetts. It is signposted off of Interstate 95 just south of where that interstate crosses Interstate 90. From Riverside, the Green Line trolley “D” runs into Boston stopping at Hynes Convention Center Station, a block away from the center.
: There are meter spots on the streets around the Hynes. They are typically limited to two hours and cost $1 per hour.
: The Prudential Center has private parking lots and allows direct access to the Hynes without having to go outside. This can be expensive. Rates start at $5 for half an hour and run up to $36 for 24 hours. Check the mall's website for information about validation for customers of mall stores.
: This mall is located a few blocks away from the Hynes. There is an enclosed bridge linking it to the Prudential Center which has direct access to the Hynes. Rates start at $7 for the first hour and run up to $28 for 24 hours. Check the mall's website for information about validation for customers of mall stores.
: The garage is located across the street from the Hynes Convention Center and the Sheraton Hotel on Dalton Street. Rates start $4 for half an hour and run up to $24 for 24 hours.
Can I volunteer to help out at PAX this year?
If they open up enrollment, an announcement will be made with a link to the application.
What should I bring with me to PAX?
I better get this in just so everyone is kinda prepared and in the know of what to bring to PAX or any con that may come their way. (I'm sorry for the huge post, but a lot of people don't know what to bring.)
The Top Twenty Items Forgotten by Convention Attendees Checklist
1. Personal Towel (We know the hotel provides them, but if you're sharing a room with several people, this guarantees you your very own towel. Also, if you plan on using a lot of makeup for a costume or dying your hair *and* use hotel towels, you will be charged a hefty fee for damaging hotel property. Please bring your own towels if you plan to do this.) You may also dip the ends in liquid vitamins and suck on the corners when needed.
* A pretty cool tip involving this is bringing a small clothespin with your name on it to attach to your towel so people can differentiate between yours and theirs. In fact, bring a couple, so you can share with people.
2. Shampoo and Conditioner (Again, the hotel provides these, but the bottles are quite small. Bringing your own ensures you will have some, especially if you use a lot of shampoo or have long hair.)
3. Toothbrush and Toothpaste (You'd be amazed at what going three days without brushing tastes like. Gross.)
4. Deodorant (If you don't bring and use this, don't be surprised when people start edging away from you in packed rooms and theaters. Don't forget the strange looks and cringed noses you'll begin to see.)
5. Razor and Shaving Cream/Gel
6. Comb and/or Hairbrush (some people do use both. You'd be surprised.)
7. One shirt for each day of the convention, plus an extra. (3 days = 4 shirts)
8. Pants (Same number as shirts.)
9. Underwear (3 sets, plus an extra.)
10. Socks (One pair per day plus an extra pair.)
11. Swimsuit (You never know.)
12. Jacket or warm sweater
13. Shoes (If you plan on spending a lot of time dancing or on your feet, make sure you have comfortable shoes with you. Your feet will hurt if you don't have comfy shoes to at least change into.)
14. Any prescribed medication (Make sure to tell your traveling companions/roommates about any medical needs you may have.)
16. Photo ID / Driver's License / Checkbook / Car keys
17. A phone card (Not only is this cheaper than having calls charged to your hotel room, but having several people using one phone can lead to billing confusion with long distance calls. Bring a phone card so you can let your parents/significant other know you made it to the con safely.)
18. An extra pillow and blanket if several people are staying in your room.
19. Some non-perishable food from a supermarket (Like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, chips, pretzels and bottled water or juice. While there are a lot of restaurants close by, this is an easy way to save money. In addition, you'll be able to have your midnight snack without leaving your room.)
20. Your best public manners. (You'd be surprised how many people forget to bring these along.)
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*
the spoiler is for the REALLY well prepared
A List For The Well Prepared
* Small tube of super glue
* 3 straight pins
* 3 safety pins: 1 small and 2 medium
* Hair pins: 3 medium and 3 heavy
* Small sewing kit (small enough to fit into the palm of your hand)
* Safety matches (1 pack)
* Disposable plastic razor
* Small emery board
* Tylenol/Aspirin (travel sized contaiThe exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies *cough*nVidia*cough*ner)
* 6 chewable Vitamin C tablets (at least 500 mg each)
* 2 Vitamin B complex tabs, stress formula
* 1 pack Tums/Rolaids
* 6 bandaids (or a travel sized pack)
* 6 antihistamine tablets
* 1 travel pack of tissues
* Tube of chapstick or other lip balm
* 6 cough drops or throat lozenges
* Smallest size of tiger balm or camphophenique oil
* Travel size tube of spot remover
* Spare car and house keys
* Breath freshener
* 6 moist towelettes (for cleaning hands)
* Small pencil sharpener
* Small pen
* 1 small pack of post-it-notes (the square ones work fine)
* Clear nail polish
* Small amount of masking tape wrapped around a short pencil
* 6 rubber bands
* 3 unlubricated condoms
* Small penknife
* Small tube of neosporin
* 3 garbage bag twist ties
* Mustache scissors (small pair of scissors will work as well)
* Styptic pencil or qwik stop
* Hand lotion (travel size)
* Aloe vera gel (travel size)
* 3 nail polish remover pad
* Tampons or pads if you are the type to bleed occasionally
Where can I get something to eat in Boston?
The best way to answer this question is with this link
What does BYOC stand for?
omputer, more information will be forthcoming.
What is the exhibit floor like?
The exhibition hall is full of awesome. There are upcoming games, and hardware showcased as well as things for sale from games, to guides, to t-shirts, to dice. Prices are comparable with standard retail pricing, or a little cheaper, even. Also, there's tons of free shirts and other swag being handed out by various companies.
Should I buy a Nintendo DS/bring my DS to PAX?
When do I sign up for tournaments?
Tournament registration is day-of. Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.
Where do the parties happen?
Hotel Rooms and a few industry sponsored parties at local establishments.
Is there an age limit on the parties?
21+ unless there's no alcohol involved
How do the concerts work?
What's the weather like in Boston during PAX East?
Bracelets are distributed by Enforcers, and having one will make sure you get in first, but I don't recall hearing the theaters filling up to the point where they had to turn people away. If you don't get one, you should still be able to get in, you just won't be able to get in super early.
Also, if you BYOC, you're given a bracelet.
March weather in the northeast can be flaky. It will either be a pleasant spring day, a bitter cold remnant of winter or somewhere in between. Bring warm clothes.
I'm flying to PAX, how soon should I book my flight?
As soon as you can. Airline tickets cost more the closer you get to the date of travel.
Will x tournament or event be happening at PAX?
Possibly, keep your eyes to this forum and the PAX East main page
for tournament announcements.
What are the hours of PAX?
EXHIBIT HALL HOURS
Friday, March 26th, 2010 - 2pm to 7pm
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm
Friday, March 26th, 2010 - 2pm to 2am
Saturday, March 27th, 2010 - 10am to 2am
Sunday, March 28th, 2010 - 10am to 6pm
BYOC Check-in is Friday morning before PAX opens
How do you get a concert wristband/what is a concert wristband?
The concert wristband allows you into the concerts first. All BYOC attendees and the first x
people into PAX on Friday and Saturday will be given a concert wristband. They are not required to get into the concert, but if you don't have one, you won't be able to get in until all of the wristbanded people are inside.
I live outside the United States. How do I fill in my phone number on the registration form? It doesn't fit.
You just have to split it up the way US numbers are split (###-###-####). It's a 10 digit number if I'm not mistaken. If you've got more than 10 digits, I don't know.
I'm above the average age of 26 by a decade or more. Will I be the oldest person there?
No, plenty of the older gaming crowd come out to enjoy PAX as well. You are not alone. PAX is geeks reveling in geekery. Age wasn't much of a concern.
How do we transfer tickets? I bought a registration and BYOC pass, but recently found out I won't be going, and have a buyer through the "buy a ticket sell a ticket" thread, but neither of us have any idea how to get the ticket to be transferred.
BYOC ticket registration is done differently than the 3-day pass. For the 3-day pass you just have to mail it to the guy when they are shipped out and send him your barcode confirmation e-mail.
For BYOC, have the guy buying the ticket make an account on the intel LANfest site, then on your account submit a support ticket to have the ticket and seat transfered to him.
I have moved since buying my PAX passes. How do I change my address information to ensure that my passes get mailed to my current address and not my previous address?
First, you should submit a change of address through the USPS. This will ensure all mail sent to your previous address is sent to your current address. As far as changing your registration, you can do that via the registration site (accessable from http://www.paxsite.com/paxeast/registration.php
). Just click the question mark, select the last option, and it should guide you through the process of changing the address to whatever you want.
When is the PAX09 DVD coming out?
WE DON'T KNOW!!
When will x be announced?
Will there be WiFi accessable at PAX?
Yes, but with the number of people using it, it may be a bit spotty.
Are there going to be a ton of people this year?
There's going to be a ton of people.
Will just one day will be enough PAX?
No. There can never be enough PAX (unless you're an enforcer).
I'm under 18. Will I be able to get into a panel for/play the demo of <insert M-Rated game here>?
It is convention wide policy to follow the ESRB ratings.
I'm wearing a costume that has plastic weapons that look like real weapons? Will I have any problems with security/police?
Yes. Do yourself a favor and leave anything that resembles a weapon
Do the PAX passes have my name on them?
What, other than the convention center and hotels, is in the area around PAX? Places to eat, shop, etc?
Watch for the Boston Area Map and Info thread to make an appearance for details on the surrounding PAX East area.
How hard is it to get around downtown Boston? Will I need a car?
Most of anything you will need is located within walking distance of the PAX hotels and convention center. You will only need a car if you plan on traveling outside of downtown (so probably not at all). Also, it has come strongly recommended that you not drive into Boston if you can avoid it.
Is there any free parking downtown?
No, parking costs money.
Why can't the passes be mailed out internationally?
A lot of internationally-shipped badges were eaten by the post in 07. It's easier all around to have you pick up your badge at Will Call, and skip the whole "where's my badge?!" panic at the end of August. Alternatively, you can pay for FedEx shipping if you really want it sent to you.