Here are some assignments for people who are stumped:
1. Put together a still life and draw it from 3 different vantage points.
2. Take a striped piece of cloth, arrange it however you want and draw it, paying attention to how the stripes move with the folds along the cloth
3. Take a complex object, like a bicycle, in your mind frame off just a section and draw that section, paying attention to composition.
4. Go to the local museum and do some drawings of various skulls and bones
5. Go to your local park or cafe and do gestural drawings of people
6. Find a local life drawing meet up or course and sign up
7. Do some gestural drawings from http://www.posemaniacs.com
8. Cut a cabbage or other vegetable in half and draw what you see. pay attention to line variation
9. Draw only the negative space of a tree or chair (or both)
10. Take a trip to the zoo, draw some animals
11. Take a trip to the library, dig through some art books, or scour the internet to find some work that inspires you and try to mimic it. Pay attention to what makes it good.
(taken from "Prepare to Board" by Nancy Beiman)
1. Take a human character and transform it into an animal, showing one step in between
2. Make 4 numbered lists, in the first list put 20 different species (animals, human being, aliens..whatever) in the second, genders (male, female), third time periods (1400s, jurassic period) fourth age groups (infant, toddler, tween, teen, adult, elderly) Now using a random number generator (lots on the internet) pick random numbers from each list so that you're left with a species, gender, time period and age.
so for example, for one of mine i got kangaroo, male, roman period, teen. Now draw that character.
3. Create a pair of characters that contrast large and small
4. Draw characters that illustrate a single line from a nursery rhyme
1. go to http://wikitravel.org
and click "random page" you'll get a random place. Do some research and come up with some sketches based on this place.
2. To add another dynamic to the above task, do a series of lists, one with time period, another with colors. use a random number generator, and from these lists, get a time period and a main color that you have to incorporate into the enviro
for example: Belize, 1400s, blue
3. Do another random list thing, this time, make a list of places (open space, mars, under the sea, antarctica), type of environment: (landscape, castle, room interior, bathroom etc) time period: (jurassic, 1980s etc)
so for example, I did one and got: open space, bathroom, 1980s. So you gotta draw a bathroom floating around in open space with 1980's stylings haha.