Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The 5th Annual Cross-Country Supertrip! Shirts have arrived!

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Attention CCSTers, we are getting shirts!
Spoiler:
If you want one, you must fill out this form with sizing and quantity information. The more shirts we order, the cheaper they will be, and I'm only ordering what people want. There might be extras, but I make no guarantees of availability to people who don't fill out the form (or have it filled out for them). The form is set up to take multiple quantities of multiple sizes, so one person from a car can fill it out for the whole group.

tl;dr IF YOU WANT A CCST SHIRT CLICK HERE AND FILL OUT THIS FORM

npgp3a.jpg
OMG, it's summer, and we're so close to PAX, I can almost taste it. We're gearing up to go, so if you want to join us, post now. The CCST primarily runs along I-90 and I-94, but we have routes from further south to allow others to join up with us. Check out the posts below for more information on that.

What It Is
Spoiler:
Also, check out last year's video for a solid representation of what to expect (warning: it's 70 minutes long, but worth every second)

How It Works
Spoiler:

If you want to be added to our list of participants, drop me a line to be added to the list. Use the following format for sending information.

Group Name: Each car needs a unique team name for radio purposes. If names have not been chosen by a certain date close to PAX, I will choose one for you.
Group Leader(s): These are the group's go-to guys. Usually the most active on the forums/internet. Main responsibility lies in relaying status updates between their group and the CCST and for getting their group together to depart from their location.
Vehicle: Year, Make, Model, MPG, Miles per Tank, if it's a rental, owned by you or owned by somebody else and if it's manual or automatic transmission (this is very important)
Max. Desired People: Maximum number of seats that you want to fill including your own (ProTip: it's good practice to leave enough room for at least one person to lay down in the back to get some semblance of real sleep)
Starting Location: City, State/Province where the vehicle is departing from
First Waypoint: The first of our pre-selected stopping points where the vehicle will stop. (see posts below)
Riders List the people who will be in the vehicle below (including you). This section is for confirmed riders. See below for unconfirmed. (fill out this section once per person in the vehicle)
Name: Person A
Location: Location B (if different from vehicle's starting location)
First Waypoint: Waypoint X (if different from vehicle's first waypoint)
Driving?: Yes/No, also indicate if they are able to drive stick
E-Mail: person@webmaster.com

Unconfirmed Riders: Number of unconfirmed riders not listed here (people who say they want to go but haven't made any final commitments yet)
Space Available: Seats still available in your vehicle

What You'll Need
Spoiler:

Frequently Asked Questions
Spoiler:
Have any other questions? Just ask them here in this thread.

WholeMap.jpg
Protip: It's not as complex as this image makes it look

And here, for your reading pleasure, Lessons from Geese
Spoiler:

How Much Will Gas Cost
Okay, here it is, the Energy Information Administration's estimates for gas this year.
Source: http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/cfapps/STEO_Query/steotables.cfm?periodType=Monthly&startYear=2009&startQuarter=1&startMonth=1&endYear=2009&endQuarter=4&endMonth=12&tableNumber=10&noScroll=false

Typically our price is a few cents higher, here's those figures.
US Average August 2006: $2.952
Our Average 2006: $3.00

US Average August 2007: $2.786
Our Average 2007: $2.93

US Average August 2008: $3.779
Our Average 2008: $3.80

US Average August 2009: $2.616
Our Average 2009: $2.634

That gives a difference of as little as 2.1 cents and as many as 14.4 cents. Given recent gas trends, I've decided to run my high-end estimates at $3/gal. For help estimating the cost of gas for your vehicle, bigwah has created this Google spreadsheet, just make a copy and change the yellow fields to suit your vehicle.

The People
Organized by starting waypoint
  • Boston, MA
    CarGo
    Spoiler:
  • Corfu, NY
    E.Hondas
    Spoiler:
  • Elyria, OH
    Buick 2.0
    Spoiler:
  • South Bend, IN
    Lazarus
    Spoiler:
  • Houston, TX
    Team Reloc
    Spoiler:
  • Fargo, ND
    Goliath
    Spoiler:
  • Billings, MT
    Aftermath
    Spoiler:
    V
    Spoiler:
  • Butte, MT
    No Name
    Spoiler:
  • Post Falls, ID
    Short 'n' Sweet
    Spoiler:
  • Ellensburg, WA
    Blueberry on Board
    Spoiler:
    Team Cupcake
    Spoiler:
    Skeeter or WMW
    Spoiler:

The 'G' Unit
    Spoiler:

Walla Squared
    Spoiler:

Moe Fwacky on
sig-500x65.jpg

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    The Routes
    These are the northern routes. They all meet in Cleveland, Ohio with the exception of the one originating in Canada and running through Michigan. That one meets at South Bend, Indiana.

New York City/New Jersey to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapA.jpg
    Spoiler:

Boston, Massachusetts to Fargo, North Dakota
    MAPA-2.jpg
    Spoiler:

Ottawa, Ontario to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapB.jpg
    Spoiler:

Greenville, Virginia to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapC.jpg
    Spoiler:

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    These are the Southern Routes. They meet each other in either Foristell, MO or Faucett, MO

West Columbia, South Carolina to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapD.jpg
    Spoiler:

Reddick, Florida to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE-2.jpg
    Spoiler:

Austin, Texas to Fargo, North Dakota
    MapE.jpg
    Spoiler:

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    All routes converge in Fargo, which is also about the halfway point for anybody making the long haul.

Fargo, North Dakota to Seattle, Washington

MapF.jpg
    Spoiler:

So that about covers it for now. Additional information and vehicular data will be edited into the OP as it becomes available.

sig-500x65.jpg
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shit...its here

Note: Place holder for epic plan that I need help with from epic people, in an epic manner...that I don't want lost in the epicness of this thread, that I actually need to go and write out in a semi coherent manner because someone told me he was waiting for a bit to post this. *cough* Moe *cough*

The Epic Moving to Seattle via CCST Plan
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Well, it turned out to go faster than I thought it would, and I had some extra time around work. I guess after doing this 4 times already, this thread gets easier to put together.

sig-500x65.jpg
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shiz.. Moe's working doubley over time to get Prime shit up... let's bombard him with useless questions regarding his personality :D

*Possible place-holder???*

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    OR you could be on topic and discuss how epic this year's journey will be.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    OR you could be on topic and discuss how epic this year's journey will be.

Nah, option one sounds better...

but seriously, it's going to be AWESOME-SAUCE! Now that you have extra PAX Eastians hooked and no longer PAX virgins, it will be even BIGGERER than the other years!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh shiz.. Moe's working doubley over time to get Prime shit up... let's bombard him with useless questions regarding his personality :D

*Possible place-holder???*

I come through on my threats...er...promises, as seen by the spoiler tag in that earlier post now *wink wink*

• cuennascuennas Registered User
    edited April 2010
    how long are these roads trips to and fro

edited April 2010
    Depending on where you're from the trip is about 50 hours to Seattle, and the way back is entirely up to you. I have in the past (very commonly) traveled back with other cars, but not the entire convoy. Many people decide to stay in Seattle beyond PAX, and a few sometimes decide to take a different route home. Also, I believe somebody actually late Sunday once too.

I'm not going to lie to you here, it's an endurance run. That's why we require you have at minimum three drivers unless you are starting past the halfway point. But, beyond it being an endurance run, it's a lot of fun. The video link in my sig will explain everything you need to know about fun and exhaustion all at the same time.

sig-500x65.jpg
  • cuennascuennas Registered User
    edited April 2010
    ah i see im looking to go to prime trying to figure out wats best actually. but this might actually be fun though i dont drive.

• LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The clown car may be back this year (with radio batteries) but it kinda depends on another potential trip in August. I will let you know as soon as I find out. :)

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For anyone who's on the fence and is from the New England area, I can tell you: it *is* doable, and it *is* a lot of fun if you can get sufficient time off from work/school for it. I joined up on the CCST from eastern New Hampshire, and it was an experience unlike any other I've yet had.

Don't let the distance daunt you: you'll be there with many allies. If you're a New Englander thinking about making the trip and you have time, just do it. It's really not something to be missed if you can at all manage getting the sufficient time off to do so!

(Sadly, my chances of getting that much time off again are 0% this year =( But I'm rooting you guys on!)

$14,276 for Child's Play from the Cookie Brigade at PAX Prime 2011!!!
    Join the Cookie Brigade Forum for PAX Prime 2011 now! We need your help! If you decide to join, sign up at the Cookie Brigade website!
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Driving from Ohio to Baltimore alone after 2 days of little to no sleep is something I never want to do again.
    In other words, I am flying on a plane this year.

I actually just lost all my airline points with Virgin America because I did not fly for over 18 months.
    So that really sucks...

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    Xbox 360 Gamertag: mentok1982 || PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe, you should make sure this is filmed again.

And I think all the newcomers need to know what awaits them in Fargo. :P

ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dammit... There goes my streak of posting right after Moe.

Man, I really hope I can continue my streak this year. There's only 2 of us left who've done all 4. (Moe's the other)

P.S. If anybody would like to get me a full-time job here in MI, that's the only way I'm going to be able to do PAX this year.

P.P.S. I'm writing a new manual this year. So watch out for that.

PASig.gif
    edited April 2010
    Are people seriously not signing up in droves yet? Did I forget to do something?

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Are people seriously not signing up in droves yet? Did I forget to do something?

I think it's because the magical PAX Forums button is missing from the main site ;p

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    I don't know if that attributes to as much traffic as you might think it does.

sig-500x65.jpg
  • babelfishbabelfish Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Moe, I've got a friend in Syracuse, NY who may be interested, but she'd be missing some school.

What day do you reckon she'd be leaving, and when would she be getting back?

[Edit: She doesn't drive. Is she still welcome?]

edited April 2010
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Aug 31 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Sept 2 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

Uhm... that would be bad if that was true... I really hope it's not.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    I don't know what you're talking about, that's not what I typed at all.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Would that be Tuesday, August 31, Moe? :p

Edit: Pffft, changing it as I ask. WHATEVER. Quoted for posterity's sake:
    From Syracuse, expect to leave early Tuesday Aug 31 morning and get back in the evening on Wednesday Sept 8

edited April 2010
    Yeah, in the past 4 years of doing this trip, the first year I had to miss 3 days of class and work, the other 3 I had to take off a week. Thankfully, I graduate 2 weeks prior to PAX this year, which should make things much easier for me.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, in the past 4 years of doing this trip, the first year I had to miss 3 days of class and work, the other 3 I had to take off a week. Thankfully, I graduate 2 weeks prior to PAX this year, which should make things much easier for me.

AND a killer graduation partAY!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited April 2010
    How Much Will Gas Cost

Typically our price is a few cents higher, here's those figures.
    US Average August 2006: $2.952
    Our Average 2006: $3.00

US Average August 2007: $2.786
    Our Average 2007: $2.93

US Average August 2008: $3.779
    Our Average 2008: $3.80

US Average August 2009: $2.616
    Our Average 2009: coming soon

That gives a difference of as little as 2.1 cents and as many as 14.4 cents. Given recent gas trends, I've decided to run my high-end estimates at $3/gal. For help estimating the cost of gas for your vehicle, bigwah has created this Google spreadsheet, just make a copy and change the yellow fields to suit your vehicle.

Just some FYI, the average from South Bend, IN to Seattle, WA and back for 2009... was $2.634.

PASig.gif
  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm in, Moe. You have my sword. Or possibly my Charger. Or possibly my share of moneys toward the Awesome Van.

edited April 2010

Yeah, she'd have to take a week off from school, which isn't happening, unfortunately. Pity, and she won't be flying out, either. :(

• MagnifiedXMagnifiedX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm interested in doing this, but absolutely cannot provide a car.

Any potential drivers come out from Boston that want to talk numbers?

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
  • YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm very interested in doing this, but like the guy above, cannot provide transportation. I'd be more than willing to drive, though, and I come with the superpower of being able to drive a stick shift!

The downside, though, is I'm in southern VA, and I don't know how many people would be able to swing through here to either of the nearby starting points. Stuck in the middle, as they say.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Registered User
    edited April 2010
    I kinda agree with the cannot provide transportation at this moment, as I still have to wait for the Epic Drivers License of "You'll be 25 without a license? LOSER" to drop, as well as getting a job and a car. Though I forsee that this does have the possibility to change between now and September. The upside is, I live off of I-80 in NE Pennsylvania, so anyone using that road could pick me up along the way if worse comes to worse. I must say though, isn't this a really long trip? I just worry that I would have to take a shitload of time off of any job that I would also need to get by September.

And as a side note, I'm trying to think of ways to get money together to go to PAX while looking for a job, like selling goods and so forth, but I don't have any good ideas, or even know if this would be a good idea. I'll probably ask this in a different thread though.

edited April 2010
    For those of you who feel a bit out of the way of the normal routes: if you don't find anyone in your area you could take public transit (train, etc...) to one of the planned stops potentially, or somewhere along the way on one of the routes! Don't give up on it! =)

Join the Cookie Brigade Forum for PAX Prime 2011 now! We need your help! If you decide to join, sign up at the Cookie Brigade website!
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, it's definitely easier for people to travel to the waypoints than it is to convince people to go out of their way to pick you up at home. Definitely something to consider.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    And remember, you're in for an epic journey. Seriously, the epic nature of the trip itself is worth the money. Rolling into Wisconsin at 2am and buying beef jerky, driving through the sunrise in the mountains, and telling prostitutes in Butte, Montana that you're from the internet are all experiences that you don't get anywhere else... and certainly not with a group of dozens of fellow gamers. =)

edited April 2010
    Were they prostitutes? I thought they were just drunken skanks in a muddy car.

sig-500x65.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Were they prostitutes? I thought they were just drunken skanks in a muddy car.

Is there a difference?

PASig.gif
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if I could take the company car to do this and call it 'work,' thus removing the necessity to take a vacation day ...

(company car is going to be like a billboard on wheels)

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited April 2010
    Ah, creative thinking Liger! I like it! =) I bet they'd go for it! =)

Also, indeed we weren't quite sure if they were from one category or another, but either way Cuzza's response is unforgettable. =)

This discussion has been closed.