As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Infected router?

Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've come home to find my mum distressed about our internet. Turns out we were cut off by brighthouse cause my linksys router was sending out spam, or was a host for something. I don't know too much about it since she was the one who called and computers are very foreign to her. Since she called they turned it on again for a few days and told us to fix it apparently.

I have no idea how to do this, so I just cleaned up my three computers and fiddled with the router. An issue I've been having lately is suddenly being disconnected from the internet, yet nothing like AIM, for brief moments of time. It only lasts like ten to thirty seconds or so but it's enough to aggravate anyone. I just connected the cable modem to my main computer and suddenly this issue seems to have disappeared. I guess my router is kinda screwed up.

Now the real question, what can I do to fix my router? Do I need a new one? If I do need a new one, what are some good ones?

Dee Kae on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    You'll have to flash the firmware on your router and keep the settings on it password protected from now on. This is assuming you didn't have them protected before, which is the only way I know of that this can happen.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    We will need the make and model of the router in question. Best case we can just reflash the model with stock firmware. Somewhere on the router their should be a reset button. Try pushing that in for 30-60 seconds. Reboot the router and see if that clear up your issue.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel
  • Options
    Dee KaeDee Kae Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yeah I tried resetting it (didn't work), and didn't really have any security on it. I've got all my computers hooked up to it via ethernet cables, and disabled the wireless part of the router, I suppose.

The model is WRT54G ver 6 wireless g linksys router.

Dee Kae on
  • Options
    Mega PlayboyMega Playboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Here is the support page for the router. You are going to reflash the router and lock it down.

Mega Playboy on
    Trying to help out my step dad check out his youtube channel