As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your stories of complete assholes in the entertainment industry

Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
OK so I got inspired by the Boondock Saints 2 thread, so I decided we'd all get together and tell heart warming stories of our personal experiences of industry douchbaggery, no matter the level you're in at.

As I mentioned Boondock saints, we don't need to know about Overnight.
We don't need to know that Roman Polanski is basically on the run for statuory rape.
We don't need to know that Robert Evans is MR casting couch.

Unless, y'know, Robert Evans nailed you saying you'd get the part, while Polanski pretended you were 13 and Troy Duffy screamed at you the whole time. That would be some story.

The level of douchebaggery I've personally experienced is not at any great height, ground level really.

I joined a band a few years ago when their lead guitar player quit to work abroad. We entered a Battle of the Bands where the prize was getting to play at a large music festival. The competition had a series of heats, then the winners of each heat went to a final.

The night we played was a thursday night. Me and the drummer went out for a smoke through a private door in the club. Another band were out there smoking joints. They finished their joints and went back inside when I saw the door closing and ran to stop it (about 10 feet away), but was too late. Then I hear a load of laughing from the other side of the door.

Did I mention this door couldn't be opened from the outside? Those fuckers laughed and walked off, leaving us locked out. Luckily our bass player still had his phone switched on and let us back in after about 15 minutes of us trying to get in contact. We played well when it finally started, but as we were on first, the place was still empty apart from people we brought ourselves. We got a chant going from the crowd, which was pretty cool, but not enough people were there to vote. We were on way too early in the evening

The band who locked us out were on last. We noticed at the last moment that they stopped playing and singing a couple of seconds before the sound stopped. It started becoming clear that this was rigged to high heaven.

Turns out later, the competition organisers (involving a popular radio station) allowed for a wild card entry into the final. There would be a draw. The organisers stated that every member of the band had to be there to be eligible. Your drummer has an emergency at the last minute, but the rest of you are here? No dice.
They also wanted the bands to pay into the venue on the night of the draw. Given that there were 7 heats, with at least 4 losing bands and assuming an average of 4 people per band, the wanted at least 112 people paying in. It was between €5 and €10, which isn't much in general, but that's a potential of (at the very least) €560 just from the door and just from the bands themselves.

In short, in a rigged competition, the "winners" were content to fuck with other bands and the organisers tried to gouge money out of the people who never had a hope of coming anywhere.

Like I said, this is low level stuff, but share away, no matter where you are on the pole.
Especially if you were sitting in a FOX office saying "let's make a good Xmen 3", surrounded by people saying "lets fuck with Superman Retuns"

Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
Raybies666 on

• Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've repaired the lawnmowers of and sold various hardware store items to a large number of celebrities that lived in toronto over my high school years. They were all pretty cool. The biggest dick I ever dealt with was the then-chief of police.

Robman on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Dr. Dre beat the shit out of a woman rapper because he didn't like the way she conducted an interview with him. His team-mates said "the bitch deserved it" and Eminem later joked with the good doctor about the incident on a track.

Tim Allen ratted out his friends when getting caught with cocaine.

Johnny Cash burned down lots of untouched and protected woodland, and was completely unapologetic even though said fire almost wiped out a species that lived in the area.

Elvis treated his wife like utter shit and once said "that's how a man makes love to his woman" after coercing her into intercourse physically.

Rick James pretty much went Fritzl on a lady and got away with it.

Then there's O'Reilly and Glenn Beck, but those are mostly allegations.

Oh, and didn't Kanye West pretty much walk away from a car crash he caused while on pills despite the serious damage to the other driver?

But it's not really limited to the entertainment industry - even Einstein was a serious bastard fuck towards his wife. Even Gandhi had a sanctimonious and pretty shitty disposition towards his dying wife.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    I'm related to Sylvester Stallone. He doesn't allow his servants to look him or his family in the eye. They have to look at the floor when addressing the family.

Organichu on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Organichu wrote: »
    I'm related to Sylvester Stallone. He doesn't allow his servants to look him or his family in the eye. They have to look at the floor when addressing the family.

Oh what the fucking fuck. Someone ought to raise a guillotine somewhere within eyeshot of his house before he starts demanding tithe and milling taxes.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Raybies666Raybies666 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Stuff about celebrities

I saw most of that on cracked last week. Interesting stuff to be sure, but not really what I'm going for here. Keep it to personal experiences if you can, thanks.
    Kastanj wrote: »

Oh what the fucking fuck. Someone ought to raise a guillotine somewhere within eyeshot of his house before he starts demanding tithe and milling taxes.

That's unbelievable. My flabber is gasted.

Raybies666 on
    Beat me on Wii U: Raybies
    Beat me on 360: Raybies666

I remember when I had time to be good at games.
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Just so this thread doesn't drown in hatred, SA had a thread on positive celebrity encounters.

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/celebrity-encounters.php

KalTorak on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Really I think it's for their own protection. Have you ever looked into his eyes? Exactly.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've got a pretty good Kramer (Michael Richards) one second hand. Happened to a couple of buddies who I've remained friends with in high school back in '93 or '94, and I've heard the story enough times that I feel I can retell it faithfully here.

So basically friend a and his parents make a day trip to the coast here in northern cali, and he's allowed to bring along friend b. As they're unpacking their car some sort of costly luxury vehicle rolls past, and friend b spots Kramer inside driving. He points out the car to friend a as it drives farther on in the lot and mentions he thinks he saw Kramer as friend a is a huge Seinfeld fan.

So they grab a pen and some paper out the car to see if they might be able to grab a quick autograph and a handshake.

Now they were basically going to the beach, but this is also apparently a spot where whales are often observed, and connected to the parking lot is a path that leads to a secluded raised scenic look type location for watching whales and they spot Kramer again as he disappears down the path.

They follow and as they approach the end of the path where the lookout is the see Kramer alone with his back to them looking out at the Pacific. Now he must have heard them coming because as they walk up he turns around and before they have a chance to say or do anything he just starts laying into them.

"I CAME HERE TO ENJOY THE FUCKING OCEAN, NOT GET GAWKED AT AND HARRASED BY YOU FUCKING KIDS!!"

Now they were planning to politely ask for an autograph and leave, but seriously, at that point for all he knew they were just there to look at the ocean, same as him.

Which is why when I heard years later about his comedy club blowup my reaction was basically "Meh, not a surprise at all, dudes a known douchebag."

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know this guy isn't exactly 'famous' but I worked with the guy and he can be a complete asshole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8T25D6ku7E

I was going to write out a story or two, but just thinking about the man puts me in rage.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    This is more sports, but the Celtics used to use my university's gym for practice. Their old coach, who is known for being a big benefactor of college sports, was really nice and would let people sit in on team practices end even let the students organize into teams to play games against the Celtics. He'd also let team members hang around the gym, joining in on student games. Their new coach, on the other hand, must have wanted secrecy or something, as he basically cordoned off the gym when they were practicing so that nobody would get the chance to see any of the players.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My mom used to work at a nursing home, and one of the patients she cared for was Larry David's mom. My mom always thought he was an asshole, because he didn't even visit her on her deathbed. But if you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm (and know that much of it is inspired by reality, and in this case it's the truth), Larry didn't actually know his mom was dying, because his dad didn't tell him. He didn't want to worry him. After the fact his dad and cousin told Larry. Speaking of his cousin, shown on Curb to be a very strange man, my mom also said (without me talking about the show - and she hasn't seen it), that besides Larry's dad always visiting, so did his cousin, and she described him as sweet, but a very, very strange person.

Not really an asshole story, but it was interesting hearing that, and then later getting into Curb Your Enthusiasm and seeing it from the other side, on TV no less.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Not famous, but last year I MDed a show, and like all shows, we didn't have the music or scripts until right before rehearsals started. That's fine, that's how it goes, and everyone knows it. We bitched about it, and we had to scramble a bit once the books came in, but fine.

One person didn't get it though, and that was the choreographer. She decided to start choreographing to ill-known versions of recordings. Why couldn't she wait until we actually had any materials? I don't know, but she added a part to the show to do a specific dance that she choreographed because she wanted to.

Well the books came and surprise surprise, our version didn't have the retarded little dance that only existed in one recording. I was shocked, let me tell you.

It should be noted at this time that we had a really wimpy production staff. The show I'm doing now we've got a full staff. I have an assistant, the Vocal director has an assistant, we have a rehearsal accompanist, basically every spot on the staff. I think, one week before rehearsals actually start, the only positions we don't have filled are things like assistant production manager and assistant master carpenter(or "Ass. Master"). The show in question? Nothing. I was acting triple duty as MD, AMD, and Rehearsal accompanist, and I wanted to kill myself for it. Also it wasn't until the week of the production that we finally found the entirety of the pit(minus Key2, but my Key1 doubled).

Anyways back to the story. It's no big deal, right? We ditch the stupid dance that doesn't exist, and everything goes back to normal. Well, no. We'd already apparently cast the "Featured dancer" for the stupid dance that doesn't fucking exist, and the choreographer insisted that she totally needed this dance, totally. Absolutely had to have it because it was such an awesome dance. Her solution? Have me transcribe this fucking dance music from the recording. Oh except the orchestration was also completely different. And I didn't have a pit yet, and it was hard finding one because I was already overworked. So in the final version we had a stupid minute of music or so that was a completely different orchestration than everything else, that didn't fit in the song at all, and that was also transcribed really shittily because I didn't feel like polishing up something because of a stupid choreographer that didn't have anywhere approaching the musical ability to transcribe something her fucking self so decided I would.

God I still want to strangle her several times. Fuck that show.

Khavall on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    I've got a pretty good Kramer (Michael Richards) one second hand. Happened to a couple of buddies who I've remained friends with in high school back in '93 or '94, and I've heard the story enough times that I feel I can retell it faithfully here.

So basically friend a and his parents make a day trip to the coast here in northern cali, and he's allowed to bring along friend b. As they're unpacking their car some sort of costly luxury vehicle rolls past, and friend b spots Kramer inside driving. He points out the car to friend a as it drives farther on in the lot and mentions he thinks he saw Kramer as friend a is a huge Seinfeld fan.

So they grab a pen and some paper out the car to see if they might be able to grab a quick autograph and a handshake.

Now they were basically going to the beach, but this is also apparently a spot where whales are often observed, and connected to the parking lot is a path that leads to a secluded raised scenic look type location for watching whales and they spot Kramer again as he disappears down the path.

They follow and as they approach the end of the path where the lookout is the see Kramer alone with his back to them looking out at the Pacific. Now he must have heard them coming because as they walk up he turns around and before they have a chance to say or do anything he just starts laying into them.

"I CAME HERE TO ENJOY THE FUCKING OCEAN, NOT GET GAWKED AT AND HARRASED BY YOU FUCKING KIDS!!"

Now they were planning to politely ask for an autograph and leave, but seriously, at that point for all he knew they were just there to look at the ocean, same as him.

Which is why when I heard years later about his comedy club blowup my reaction was basically "Meh, not a surprise at all, dudes a known douchebag."

He probably saw what they had in their hands.

Also, might be a wee bit cranky from being harassed for autographs all the time.

shryke on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

I know a guy who roadied for Oasis and Liam and Noel had the same policy.

Tav on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Coach K was eating with his family at the table next to me at a restaurant one time. Some dude ran up without asking and snapped a flash photo right in his face. I'm sure it takes a bit of resolve to not turn into a dick toward the public.

Yar on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I keep thinking of Dethklok.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tony LaRussa flipped me off when I asked for his autograph before a Brewers/Cardinals game. "I don't sign for cheeseheads." Flip.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Khavall wrote: »
    Not famous, but last year I MDed a show, and like all shows, we didn't have the music or scripts until right before rehearsals started. That's fine, that's how it goes, and everyone knows it. We bitched about it, and we had to scramble a bit once the books came in, but fine.

One person didn't get it though, and that was the choreographer. She decided to start choreographing to ill-known versions of recordings. Why couldn't she wait until we actually had any materials? I don't know, but she added a part to the show to do a specific dance that she choreographed because she wanted to.

Well the books came and surprise surprise, our version didn't have the retarded little dance that only existed in one recording. I was shocked, let me tell you.

It should be noted at this time that we had a really wimpy production staff. The show I'm doing now we've got a full staff. I have an assistant, the Vocal director has an assistant, we have a rehearsal accompanist, basically every spot on the staff. I think, one week before rehearsals actually start, the only positions we don't have filled are things like assistant production manager and assistant master carpenter(or "Ass. Master"). The show in question? Nothing. I was acting triple duty as MD, AMD, and Rehearsal accompanist, and I wanted to kill myself for it. Also it wasn't until the week of the production that we finally found the entirety of the pit(minus Key2, but my Key1 doubled).

Anyways back to the story. It's no big deal, right? We ditch the stupid dance that doesn't exist, and everything goes back to normal. Well, no. We'd already apparently cast the "Featured dancer" for the stupid dance that doesn't fucking exist, and the choreographer insisted that she totally needed this dance, totally. Absolutely had to have it because it was such an awesome dance. Her solution? Have me transcribe this fucking dance music from the recording. Oh except the orchestration was also completely different. And I didn't have a pit yet, and it was hard finding one because I was already overworked. So in the final version we had a stupid minute of music or so that was a completely different orchestration than everything else, that didn't fit in the song at all, and that was also transcribed really shittily because I didn't feel like polishing up something because of a stupid choreographer that didn't have anywhere approaching the musical ability to transcribe something her fucking self so decided I would.

God I still want to strangle her several times. Fuck that show.
    Man, shitty productions are an unknown hell to people outside of the industry. They are like nothing else. I'm a bit surprised you added music, you know, what with it probably breaking the production contract. Most people don't like you subtracting let alone adding to their work like that.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    My mom used to work at a nursing home, and one of the patients she cared for was Larry David's mom. My mom always thought he was an asshole, because he didn't even visit her on her deathbed. But if you watch Curb Your Enthusiasm (and know that much of it is inspired by reality, and in this case it's the truth), Larry didn't actually know his mom was dying, because his dad didn't tell him. He didn't want to worry him. After the fact his dad and cousin told Larry. Speaking of his cousin, shown on Curb to be a very strange man, my mom also said (without me talking about the show - and she hasn't seen it), that besides Larry's dad always visiting, so did his cousin, and she described him as sweet, but a very, very strange person.

Not really an asshole story, but it was interesting hearing that, and then later getting into Curb Your Enthusiasm and seeing it from the other side, on TV no less.

Being involved in a production is a wholly consuming process 24/7. To not want to throw a wrench in th works like that I understand, but of course this is still really weird. Similarly, a wikigrab...
    In Pumping Iron, Schwarzenegger claimed that he did not attend his father's funeral because he was training for a bodybuilding contest. Later, he and the film's producer both said this story was taken from another bodybuilder for the purpose of showing the extremes that some would go to for their sport, and to make Schwarzenegger's image more cold and machine-like in order to fan controversy for the film.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yar wrote: »
    Coach K was eating with his family at the table next to me at a restaurant one time. Some dude ran up without asking and snapped a flash photo right in his face. I'm sure it takes a bit of resolve to not turn into a dick toward the public.
    Coach K's own dickery is well-documented, so I can't really feel too sorry for him.

Rick Pitino fucked some crazy woman on the top of a table in his favorite restuarant while his assistant coach was laying in the floor listening to them (this is their proof that it was consensual as opposed to rape). When she later got pregnant, her threw her some money to get an abortion (he's supposedly a devout Catholic) and apparently coerced another assistant coach (rumored to be gay) into marrying her to shut her up. It didn't work.

EDIT: Then again I guess that's not really a personal story.

I also knew a guy who tended bar at some Irish pub in Lexington, where Billy Gillespie would go regularly and get trashed. He would then make sure everybody knew he was about to do a DUI so the bar would be legally obligated to call and pay for a cab for him, lest they all get fined/sued. This is the head coach of the UK basketball team, with a multimillion-dollar salary. If he didn't want to drive, he could have easily afforded a cab or even a fucking chaffeur. He also fucked his player's girlfriends and fiances (another inside source confirmed this to me) and treated his players like shit. He even apparently snubbed Jodie Meeks and refused to speak to him after Meeks broke UK's all-time scoring record. Good fucking riddance.

I also knew this girl who was really into equestrian events and worked in the summers at some really posh stable up around Louisville or wherever where William Shatner kept his horses. I don't know what he did, but she claimed he was a complete asshole and said something to the effect of she wished somebody would burn down his barn, but it wasn't the horses' fault they were owned by William Shatner. Of course, Shatner's assholitude is apparently a pretty widely-known phenomenon, but I was surprised to actually meet someone who'd suffered the brunt of it.

Duffel on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I almost got in a fight with the lead singer of Three Doors Down after one of their shows, early on in their career.

Their first big tour was with Creed and Sevendust, and their first album hadn't really done anything yet. No one was into their music, and their performance was awkward, and they caught quite a lot of heckling. We left after Sevendust's set, and were on our way out when a friend decided he wanted a t-shirt, so we waited while he got money out of an ATM. As we were waiting, the lead singer and the guitarist who looks like Patrick Warburton walked by, and I smiled and said "Nice set guys." The guitarist smiled back, but the lead singer said "Whatever, man, fuck off" and kept walking. I charged after the guy, intent on at least sucker punching him once, but the guitarist stepped in front of me and said "He can be an asshole sometimes."

So, the guitarist seemed like a nice guy, but the singer from Three Doors Down told me to fuck off for no reason.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh man, I thought you had personally witnessed the funniest scenario I've head about Creed
    Former Creed lead singer Scott Stapp and members of the band 311 were involved in a fight on Thanksgiving in the lounge of a luxury hotel, according to hotel security staff and 311 members.

311 were in Baltimore for a weekend concert when several members ran into Stapp earlier that day, band drummer Chad Sexton told The Associated Press. Both Stapp and 311 have the same producer, and Sexton said there were no problems during the first meeting.

But Stapp later came into the Harbor Court Hotel bar while Sexton and bandmates SA Martinez and P-Nut were watching basketball on television. He stepped in front of the screen and said, "311, I am ready to fight," according to Sexton.

Sexton said the band tried to defuse the situation, and Stapp went to the bar to drink. Later, he made "inappropriate" comments to Martinez's wife, and was confrontational with Sexton.

"All of a sudden, he clocked me in the left side of my face," Sexton said. "Then a huge fight broke out."

Improvolone on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, Toby Keith got escorted out of the Base Club in Naples Italy by Base Security after screaming "Don't you know who the fuck I am" at a friend of mine who wouldn't give up the pool table.

The same night Ted Nugent slept with a friend's girlfriend, but he was actually a really cool guy.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ted Nugent is a fucking lunatic, though, so as long as he's not in a straitjacket he's not really responsible for anything he does.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    shryke wrote: »
    Stuff I wrote

Also, might be a wee bit cranky from being harassed for autographs all the time.

Nah I'm just usually listening to instead of repeating the story and thus omitted an important detail, pen and paper were still secure in baggy jean pockets out of sight. Dudes just a dick.

HyphyKezzy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Glaeal wrote: »
    Also, Toby Keith got escorted out of the Base Club in Naples Italy by Base Security after screaming "Don't you know who the fuck I am" at a friend of mine who wouldn't give up the pool table.

The same night Ted Nugent slept with a friend's girlfriend, but he was actually a really cool guy.

I went on a blind double date one time with a couple of friends . The lady who was supposed to be my 'date' was fairly attractive, in her late thirties so a bit older than me, but we got along pretty good. After eating we went to a karaoke bar, when poison came on. We started to talk about the band, and she says "Once I was at a concert with some friends we got invited backstage and partied with the band all night, I ended up sleeping with Bret Micheals."

I'm glad she told me before I tried to make a move...

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ted Nugent is a fucking lunatic, though, so as long as he's not in a straitjacket he's not really responsible for anything he does.

I wish I could say that.

"You do realize I'm not liable for anything I do unless I'm locked in a padded cell. Right?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Stuff I wrote

Nah I'm just usually listening to instead of repeating the story and thus omitted an important detail, pen and paper were still secure in baggy jean pockets out of sight. Dudes just a dick.

I'm not going to say hes not a dick, but dealing with the kind of fame that he (and other absurdly recognizably famous people have) is all kinds of intense. Seriously, people either deal with or or they are total dicks. That and its probably easy to assume that anyone approaching you is going to either want your autograph or talk to you about something.
    Henry Winkler is supposedly a great guy and always gives people the time of day.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Stuff I wrote

I usually cut them some slack because people harassing you for autographs probably gets fucking annoying really damn fast.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    MichaelRichards05.jpg
    Dude doesn't exactly blend into the crowd. He is a weird looking recognizable actor from one of the most people series ever.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It still doesn't give you license to be rude to people you don't even know, especially those who apparently liked your work.

If he hadn't been such a public douchebag other times I'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, though.

EDIT: Actually, rereading the post there was really no excuse either way.

Duffel on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    He noticed two people chasing him. It's not like they were all waiting at a bus stop together. I've heard this from so many people in the industry; the audience gets so familiar with them that they feel like they know you and can treat you differently than a stranger off the street.

He is still a douche, but I'm more inclined to not get butt hurt over it and be even more impressed when a celebrity will give me the time of day.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    Matt_SMatt_S Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    For all of you Seattle-ites:

Not me, but someone I work with was working in a Blockbuster video back in the late 90's and, lo and behold, Ken Griffey Jr. enters the store. He got his movie, went to the check-stand and apparently, he and my co-worker had an hour-long conversation. Apparently he had some great stories, like Jay Buhner showing up at Junior's hotel door in his underwear at midnight, wanting to see if he wanted to go downstairs and get some pizza.

And if I recall correctly, the movie Junior was renting was "The Longest Day." Don't quote me on that, though.

Matt_S on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Raybies666 wrote: »
    OK so I got inspired by the Boondock Saints 2 thread, so I decided we'd all get together and tell heart warming stories of our personal experiences of industry douchbaggery, no matter the level you're in at.

As I mentioned Boondock saints, we don't need to know about Overnight.
    We don't need to know that Roman Polanski is basically on the run for statuory rape.
    We don't need to know that Robert Evans is MR casting couch.

Unless, y'know, Robert Evans nailed you saying you'd get the part, while Polanski pretended you were 13 and Troy Duffy screamed at you the whole time. That would be some story.

The level of douchebaggery I've personally experienced is not at any great height, ground level really.

I joined a band a few years ago when their lead guitar player quit to work abroad. We entered a Battle of the Bands where the prize was getting to play at a large music festival. The competition had a series of heats, then the winners of each heat went to a final.

The night we played was a thursday night. Me and the drummer went out for a smoke through a private door in the club. Another band were out there smoking joints. They finished their joints and went back inside when I saw the door closing and ran to stop it (about 10 feet away), but was too late. Then I hear a load of laughing from the other side of the door.

Did I mention this door couldn't be opened from the outside? Those fuckers laughed and walked off, leaving us locked out. Luckily our bass player still had his phone switched on and let us back in after about 15 minutes of us trying to get in contact. We played well when it finally started, but as we were on first, the place was still empty apart from people we brought ourselves. We got a chant going from the crowd, which was pretty cool, but not enough people were there to vote. We were on way too early in the evening

The band who locked us out were on last. We noticed at the last moment that they stopped playing and singing a couple of seconds before the sound stopped. It started becoming clear that this was rigged to high heaven.

Turns out later, the competition organisers (involving a popular radio station) allowed for a wild card entry into the final. There would be a draw. The organisers stated that every member of the band had to be there to be eligible. Your drummer has an emergency at the last minute, but the rest of you are here? No dice.
    They also wanted the bands to pay into the venue on the night of the draw. Given that there were 7 heats, with at least 4 losing bands and assuming an average of 4 people per band, the wanted at least 112 people paying in. It was between €5 and €10, which isn't much in general, but that's a potential of (at the very least) €560 just from the door and just from the bands themselves.

In short, in a rigged competition, the "winners" were content to fuck with other bands and the organisers tried to gouge money out of the people who never had a hope of coming anywhere.

Like I said, this is low level stuff, but share away, no matter where you are on the pole.
    Especially if you were sitting in a FOX office saying "let's make a good Xmen 3", surrounded by people saying "lets fuck with Superman Retuns"

There are several "battle of the bands" tours that are have a "band guarantee" setup that amounts to little more than pay for play. The band has to pay a guarantee of a few hundred dollars and typically they get tickets and promotional materials for their time, which they then sell to make back the guarantee. The only problem with this pay structure is that the at the numerical ratio the tickets are actually published at, it's almost impossible for the bands to actually make money back even in a decent sized local music scene (much less the dinky one where I actually live).

Opening slots for touring national acts are kind of the same way.

Personal Stories: I saw steven segal freak out on a buddy's little brother and take away his water pistol (the green day glo ray-gun kind) for sort of generally maybe waving it in the direction of his steveness, in the context of play, far outside of the range of a water gun. We were high school aged and the little brother was I want to say about 10?

Complete with an on-deadly-ground style lecture about violent toys.

This one is going to sound like glurge, but it actually happened and in fact happened IN FRONT OF ME. I was at a weigh-in for a UFC and saw a women getting some autographs from Matt Hughes (who was not fighting in the event, he was just there with some team members). She did ask him for several autographs, but she was the escort for some actual wheelchair bound sick kids that couldn't make it all the way up to where they were. She walked up some steps to him and they were right there handy and visible. She apologized for asking for so many, but she said it was for these kids and they really like you and you inspire them to work hard in physical therapy etc and he signed the stuff, but as she was saying that, he said, "Yeah, I bet you're gonna tell everybody that and half this stuff will end up on ebay"

It was not my impression that he was joking. Maybe I mis-read his low-key midwestern humor, but I don't think so.

She told the kids that he said they inspired him.

Also, a former kickboxing instructor of mine had to step between Tank Abbot and Dan Severn once in his gym to keep them from coming to blows before UFC 6

I could tell a good one about Neil Patrick Harris but I think it could actually be considered libel

(that's why he paid for our meals)

On positive stories: I have met Chuck Norris and he's a complete gentleman.

I've worked security for a lot of semi-famous music acts and by and large most of them have a good handle on just keeping a kind of polite distance - to be in the public eye and still get stuff done, you have to have a little bit of a willingness to cut people off, only shake and sign so many hands and autographs, etc, but most people figure out how to do a balance.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i always wondered about famous people getting bothered

I mean, yeah they must get asked for autographs pretty much every day, so you can understand that they'd be looking for some alone time

but on the other hand, the person asking for the autograph; this is probably quite literally the only time they'll ever meet this person and they just want half a minute of their time

Raneados on
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I know this guy isn't exactly 'famous' but I worked with the guy and he can be a complete asshole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8T25D6ku7E

I was going to write out a story or two, but just thinking about the man puts me in rage.

if local news counts, I could tell a few

such as the standard clause in air talent contracts requiring a personal appearance being interpreted by a news director to mean he could tell female staff to lose weight. This is not a rare practice.

JohnnyCache on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Raneados wrote: »
    i always wondered about famous people getting bothered

I mean, yeah they must get asked for autographs pretty much every day, so you can understand that they'd be looking for some alone time

but on the other hand, the person asking for the autograph; this is probably quite literally the only time they'll ever meet this person and they just want half a minute of their time
    If it really bothers them they always have the option of doing the whole Harrison Ford/Morgan Freeman/Dave Chappelle thing where they just live out in the middle of fucking nowhere and ask to be left alone. If you're famous enough to have people harassing you for autographs frequently enough that it gets annoying, you're probably wealthy enough to buy a little privacy.

I mean, yeah, it would suck, but I can think of things than suck a lot worse.
    I could tell a good one about Neil Patrick Harris but I think it could actually be considered libel

DO IT

Make up a pseudonym or something if you have to

EDIT: Just remembered this one - a positive story instead of a negative one but I thought it was kind of interesting.

One of my old friends from high school had a father who drove buses for country music singers. He worked for (I think) Lorrie Morgan and later for Sammy Kershaw. Kershaw was apparently pretty friendly to him at first (bought him some pretty decent Christmas presents for a few years) but I think later became kind of a cheapskate.

Anyway, because of his dad driving the bus he got to meet some other celebrities - one of them being Danny DeVito, who Sammy Kershaw was playing golf with one day. To his surprise, DeVito was extremely friendly and cool as hell. Don't know if he was sober or not at the time.

Jerry Reed also used to vacation at a lake a little ways away from where I went to school; he had a cabin over there or something. He always went into one of the local dock restuarants/bars where lots of high school and college girls worked (the people we heard this from) and basically stayed absolutely shitfaced drunk 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Don't really know if he was friendly, assholish or what - just fucking plastered all the time.

Duffel on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Being involved in a production is a wholly consuming process 24/7. To not want to throw a wrench in th works like that I understand, but of course this is still really weird.

I actually don't know what Larry was up to at the time, in fact I think it was a period after Seinfeld but before Curb, as my mom told me the story awhile back. I could be wrong though, I think he just added that segment to curb well after the fact as he incorporates the crazy shenanigans of his life into his stories.

Also, a long time ago my mom dated Gene Roddenberry's nephew. She never got to meet Gene however, as he kept skipping whatever gatherings that family was doing. Not really an asshole thing, just interesting.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, fucking hell! I can't believe I forgot about my only story.

I was involved in an improv marathon in NYC a few years ago connected to the UCB Theatre/Upright Citizens Brigade. Horatio Sanz was the "guest famous person" and spent a lot of time backstage hanging out. Dude was a fat sloppy asshole drunk. My friend Eric wound up getting into a debate with him about how Horatio Sanz is indeed not funny. It ended with him convincing Horatio Sanz that yes, he was correct.
    Matt Besser, Ian Roberts, and Matt Walsh (Amy Poehler was not there) were all ridiculously nice. Matt even passed around the theatre bong for those who were interested. Being a performer and being able to go backstage was fucking awesome, despite having to interact with Horatio Sanz.

Oh, I also met Jaime and Adam from Mythbusters when they came to speak at my school. Adam seemed very excited when someone asked him to sign his slide ruler.

And Bob Saget is an asshole for the hell of it. He tells everyone in his shows that Dave Coulier shaves his balls (I have heard elsewhere that Dave hates being asked about this, and it happens constantly).

Improvolone on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had way more positive run-ins than negative run-ins with celebrities. In the interest of full disclosure, I was a child actor, but no one approaching recognizable or famous, especially now that I'm about 10-13 years past being on Nickelodeon.

Henry Winkler is, in fact, a complete gentleman. I met him on the Universal backlot when I was filming a pilot for a television show that never got picked up, and he was really cool. I think I was being accompanied by my father, and Henry wrote out an autograph for my dad that was like half signature half letter about being a cool looking guy.

I met Keenan and Kel back when All That was a really big deal, and they were really cool guys. It was a pretty brief run-in (just lunch), since they were filming All That or their own show, and I was filming something else, but we ate a few slices of pizzas together and talked about music and tv.

I once auditioned for a music video and the artist, whose name escapes me at the moment, was a total asshole. She didn't wait until people auditioning were out of the room to start badmouthing them to the director. Needless to say, I didn't put much in to my audition and didn't get the job.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png