As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Information and FAQ (ASK QUESTIONS HERE!)

• gugu29gugu29 Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Just wondering if people bring there kids to PAX or if theres an age limit. thinking about going to pax east but would like to bring my son.

Thanks
    gugu29

gugu29 on
  • VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    1: Signing your post is silly.

2: People bring kids all sorts of places, doesn't mean they should. Will your child behave itself or being a screaming brat? Can it walk or will it be in a way too big stroller clogging up everything? Would you let your kid read the comic? Will it have fun or be bored after 10 minutes? Do you mind your child hearing casual swearing?

VisionOfClarity on
  • BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    There is no age limit, but if I were to take a guess, I'd say most kids under about age 10 would get bored very quickly. :)

Keep in mind there WILL be swearing, large dense crowds and a lot of line-waiting. But if you and your kid can handle that then by all means bring them along! I plan on taking my kids next year :)

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • undeadundead Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Not bad but they left a lot out. I run a game room for one of the local conventions and am very well known to most of the other conventions as I tend to live in their game rooms during their conventions and I can give you horror stories about small children at the convention, and not just in gaming.
    I wouldn't ask whether to bring a kid based on what's at the convention. I would ask the parents of said kid if they were responsible enough to actually take care of their child during the convention. You'd be surprised how some seem to either forget they have one or don't care.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
    edited October 2009
    Sorry for the double post but I have a question for the mods.

I am very much into the local convention scene here in Boston. I can usually be found in their game rooms or in one case running the game room. I also run a yahoo group that lists all those conventions.
    I will not post the list to a thread as that may be against the rules of the forum. However, and especially where one of those conventions moved the convention dates so it would take place right before PAX, is it ok to post a PAX meet-up thread to be held at said conventions (say, if a party or a particular set of games were run at a given time)?

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    undead wrote: »

I am very much into the local convention scene here in Boston. I can usually be found in their game rooms or in one case running the game room. I also run a yahoo group that lists all those conventions.
    I will not post the list to a thread as that may be against the rules of the forum. However, and especially where one of those conventions moved the convention dates so it would take place right before PAX, is it ok to post a PAX meet-up thread to be held at said conventions (say, if a party or a particular set of games were run at a given time)?

A meetup thread is fine, although I doubt you will find many takers here. So far the forum population here doesnt seem to be many boston locals just yet.

Also PM me the link to the other conventions in the area, im curious. Thanks :)

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009

You might want to look into the meetup that Atlus is having next weekend.

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
    edited October 2009
    BigRed wrote: »

A meetup thread is fine, although I doubt you will find many takers here. So far the forum population here doesnt seem to be many boston locals just yet.

Also PM me the link to the other conventions in the area, im curious. Thanks :)

There's actually a good amount in the Boston area but the vast majority are lurkers and they usually don't come to much. There are a good amount in the Boston area but that area spans several hundred miles (people in NH will say they're in the Boston area but they're an hour out easy).

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009

I did see that thread and was thinking of attending but I'm not going near the Summer Shack as I'm very allergic to seafood.
    Any other place and I'll go.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • ZombineZombine Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Will there be a PAX West in 2010? Like in Seattle again, or something. If so, when?

Zombine on
  • mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Pretty sure yes, around Labor Day -- but nothing has been finalized. I don't think we actually know how many days PAX Prime will be next year.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Yes.

ASimPerson on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2009

I did see that thread and was thinking of attending but I'm not going near the Summer Shack as I'm very allergic to seafood.
    Any other place and I'll go.

Luckily it's been moved to Solas!

Unless you're allergic to Irish food :P

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited October 2009
    hehe. I've been to Kinsao's on Tremont. Alas, I can't make it anyway. My nephew's birthday is Saturday and I wasn't told about it until today. Can't back out of it. I'll keep an eye out for the next meeting and get to that one.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
    edited October 2009
    Kinsao? Do you mean Kinsale?

VisionOfClarity on
    edited October 2009
    Yes, that's the one. Haven't been there in years, and, alas, when it comes to the Boston accent, it's usually pronounced Kinsao's instead of Kinsale's.
    Nice place. Alas, I don't work downtown anymore.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • awkookawkook Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For each day PAX is open, will the same things be happening each day? Or will different things be happening each day. Like different booths and what not.

awkook on
  • solomanisolomani Sydney, AURegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Will there be a UDD at PAX East (or any other RPGA event)?

Thanks.

solomani on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    awkook wrote: »
    For each day PAX is open, will the same things be happening each day? Or will different things be happening each day. Like different booths and what not.

The Expo Hall is the same every day, but booths tend to do different things like contests with prizes. Also, there are different panels to attend each day, different performers at the concerts, and different tournaments in various areas.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Are you planning on bringing your own PC to PAX EAST, and if so what games are you going to want to play?

I never been to a PAX before but I am planning on bringing my PC. Loaded with TF2, CS:S, WC3, SC, and possibly a L4D.

Any other games that people can suggest that will be big?

Thanks!

Ben

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • TopharTophar Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    This question was sort of answered. . . but where would be the best place to suggest / vote / express my opinion on what bands should be there.

The Protomen neeeeeed to be there

Tophar on
  • dardordardor Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Tophar wrote: »
    This question was sort of answered. . . but where would be the best place to suggest / vote / express my opinion on what bands should be there.

The Protomen neeeeeed to be there

The Protomen are going there if I recall correctly. PAX East is mentioned in this interview.

dardor on
    I'll take a potato chip and eat it!
  • inkjetcanvasinkjetcanvas Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Hello!

I'm an artist, and I do a ton of video-game art. I've also never been to PAX before, as I'm an east coast-er, but am thinking about next year's PAX East.

I was wondering if there will be a place for artists, like an Alley or a gallery/auction set up where we can meet people and sell art and commissions?

Thanks!

inkjetcanvas on
  • LigerLiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    PAX has never had an artist's alley. Gabe & Tycho hang out at the merch booth in the Expo Hall occasionally, and Scott Kurtz has his own booth with PvP. Often times the big names of the show have their own tables in Band Land next to the performers.

Liger on
    5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
    edited October 2009
    That's a bummer. The founders are artists themselves - they clearly know that there's a pocket of us artists out there that also love to game.

And I'm not talking the big names and giant studios - the smaller, one person operations that are often ideal for fellow gamers to get in touch with and do commission art for.

It'd be really awesome addition and something to consider. Right now, just like a gamer's convention, there's anime, and there's comics, and they both host an artists section, but not much for people who focus on drawing for game art as much. Sure I can (and do) go to those shows to display my art - but my work (and I'm sure many others like me - there's a category in these forums after all for people just like me) would fit much better in a setting like this.

inkjetcanvas on
  • UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    It's a reasonable suggestion and something a few of the artists in SE and the AC have brought up in relation to PAX Prime. I think the response for why that hasn't happened in Seattle is that there is zero room for it in the convention center as available space is taken up by the expo, BYOC, tabletop, etc. etc. etc. And as has been emphasized over and over again, PAX is not a place for people to sell stuff, the focus is really very much on community and WOW NEW GAMES and let's have a party!

As for PAX East, I'm not sure what the plans are either short term or long term for an artists alley, but with Anime Boston the week directly after PAX-E I think you'd have a better time working that and then attending PAX just for the fun of it.

Usagi on
    edited October 2009
    That's a reasonable point. Since I haven't actually been to a PAX yet, I guess I figured it was very similar in format to a convention, but focusing on games.

Welp, guess I'll keep my eyes open and see what they decide to do. If they add it, awesome, if not, then it's continuing on with the comic/anime cons for now. :) (very generally speaking, they draw from a very similar crowd, with some exceptions.)

inkjetcanvas on
  • SylanSylan Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Still not available for purchase in the online store yet. Any word on when it will be?

Sylan on
  • DarkZDarkZ __BANNED USERS new member
    edited October 2009
    any info on the BYOC? i know i am not the only person waiting for this info...

DarkZ on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    This probably wont come until a couple months before the event. A wild guess would be late dec/jan

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • dhulserdhulser Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    First time PAX'er, and have a couple of questions. What is handicapped accessibility like as far as the conference goes? My father is overweight and confined to a wheelchair after loosing his left leg to an infection. Would it be difficult to maneuver throughout the event? I guess just overall, what is the event's handicapped accessibility level?

Thanks!

dhulser on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    For the Convention Center itself...I am sure that one of the awesome folk near Boston can tell you. As far as wheelchairs in general go, speak with the awesome Parabola. He would know better than any of us!

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited October 2009
    The Hynes is wheelchair friendly, complete with elevators to go between floors (although they are very well hidden from view).
    Note that the mall entrance to the Hynes follows a download slope. Hallways are wide (about 8 people across can get through easily) and entrances to the larger exhibit halls are double doored.

The elevators are well hidden to discourage the average person from using them. They aren't fast but they also aren't used often. One set is near the mall entrance, hidden in plain sight, off the rotunda. That leads to the larger exhibit halls and some smaller meeting rooms upstairs.
    The second set is on the main floor (mall entrance) on the street side of the building on the right side of the hall. You'll pass right by it and not know it's there. It's by room 100, which is the last room on the right side. Those let you off near the escalators of each floor.

I would suggest that maps be available at the info desk. The place is big and even though it's laid out fairly well, there's a lot of small spots people can get lost in.

undead on
    As I am, so shall ye be.

Yahoo group GCIACST
  • R2P2R2P2 Registered User new member
    edited October 2009
    Early registration started in April, and then in October it was announced that tickets are on sale - What's the difference? I registered in April, do I need to care about this new announcement?

R2P2 on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    They opened up registration in April, they sent out a press release about PAX East this week. Kotaku apparently wasn't paying attention 6 months ago and thinks that registration opened this week.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ecbremnerecbremner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    How excited that Pax is coming to my hometown and that it coincides with my 30th Birthday!?

My real question though. While i know some specifics are still up in the air. What are the running hours of each night. I have Celtics tickets for Friday night and I'm trying to figure out if i would miss anything earth shattering...

ecbremner on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited October 2009
    2pm to 2am Friday
    10am to 2am Saturday
    10am to 7pm Sunday
    (I think I have those right)

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ecbremnerecbremner Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Ok cool.. I could go to the game and come back for more fun if i wanted. But.. ACK!! i hope the out of towners know that the T stops running at 12:30

ecbremner on
  • Rogue_hunterRogue_hunter Breaks Through Brick Walls Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    ecbremner wrote: »
    How excited that Pax is coming to my hometown and that it coincides with my 30th Birthday!?

My real question though. While i know some specifics are still up in the air. What are the running hours of each night. I have Celtics tickets for Friday night and I'm trying to figure out if i would miss anything earth shattering...

You'd likely be missing concerts. And the expo floor I would expect to close at 6 pm. You could probably get some table top or console/PC freeplay gaming in until 2 am though.

Rogue_hunter on
    PlayStation Network: Rogue_hunter
    Steam: Rogue_hunter
    Games for Windows Live: Roguality
    Google+
    Twitter
This discussion has been closed.