As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Interesting cut/hidden content in games?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I still pray that one day this game actually gets made, either as an alternate scenario or with a new character.

Seriously, what an absolute waste of a cool concept and scary atmosphere.

Could work with a new character given that they pretty much closed the book on everything else with 5.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They kind of shot themselves in the foot on the whole old RE formula. They'd have to make it a different series entirely.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fucking possessed baby dolls.

Ok, I just watched the whole thing and I'd really like to play it. It's got a fantastic atmosphere.

Impersonator on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Oh man, that Totoka's Song thing is surreal. Nintendo must be fuckin' lax about shit like this, I'd be thinking he'd be getting a grilling or something.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I bought an N64 Gameshark just for Goldeneye. It's pretty obvious that Antenna Cradle and Statue Park were cut from multiplayer because of how much slowdown resulted from rendering the environment.

Predator Mode was nifty as well, though I think the effect wore off after the first respawn.

There's also the neat thing where if you use a gameshark with a "Pass through doors" code on the multiplayer maps, you'll see that the MP maps are actually just blocked off portions of the single player levels. The remaining sections of the levels are completely empty, but it's still cool to be able to mess around with several people.
    Nocren wrote: »
    In other cut news: I did remember buying an old Gameshark/Mod chip hybrid for my old PS1 (using the Parallel port) that let me access the files directly on the disc. Found a music video on Xenogears, complete with credit block like on old MTV.

You could actually do something similar to this with the Xenogears demo that I think came with Brave Fencer Musashi. I don't remember the exact details, but if you fired up the demo to its title screen then swapped the demo disc out for one of the actual Xenogears discs, it would freak out and start playing ALL the FMV cutscenes on the disc, including that hidden music video one.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sorenson wrote: »
    Oh man, that Totoka's Song thing is surreal. Nintendo must be fuckin' lax about shit like this, I'd be thinking he'd be getting a grilling or something.

The worst part is I can totally remember hearing the song over and over.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    At least you can remember hearing it over and over, I am hearing it over and over. D:

Sorenson on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This thread is awesome. Someone should write a book about some of this shit. I'd buy it :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ShaggyShaggy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Speaking of Xenogears, aren't there other hidden parts similar to the extra Aeris dialog from FF7? I know the developers pretty much said the game was unfinished, but I thought there was a lot of stuff still in the game.

Shaggy on
  • Options
    DuffelDuffel jacobkosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know about Xenogears but the original Final Fantasy Tactics seems to have had a few characters and abilities cut out of it. If you hack some of the characters in with the Gameshark, there's some NPCs that never appear outside of cutscenes that are fully functional and glitch-free in your party, while other NPC's that never appear in battle have fully functional battle sprites.

Duffel on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I read somewhere that GTA San Andreas at one point was supposed to have consensual sex between the player and his girlfriend(s).
    Can't find the link now, so I don't know why it was cut. Maybe they didn't want to fill the game up with something as normal and trivial.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I read somewhere that GTA San Andreas at one point was supposed to have consensual sex between the player and his girlfriend(s).
    Can't find the link now, so I don't know why it was cut. Maybe they didn't want to fill the game up with something as normal and trivial.

A...is this sarcasm?

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember watching the first videos on IGN for UT3. It looked so fucking bad ass way back in 2005. In fact, my first thread was about UT3 and the future of games which would be these days of games. Sadly, much of the uber content in UT3 lost steam. :(

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I remember watching the first videos on IGN for UT3. It looked so fucking bad ass way back in 2005. In fact, my first thread was about UT3 and the future of games which would be these days of games. Sadly, much of the uber content in UT3 lost steam. :(

Unreal games are just tech demos for the new iteration of the Unreal Engine that you have to pay for.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »
    This thread is awesome. Someone should write a book about some of this shit. I'd buy it :P

Yes!

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    More of a hidden thing (in an MMORPG, no less), but one I've heard now and again for Final Fantasy XI:

There's an area called The Last Stand that apparently is unused for any quest or mission but has been sitting on the servers since the Rise of the Zilart expansion, and there has never been a way to actually access it

By using an external viewer to look at the .dat files, the actual area itself is broken up into several unconnected rooms, and uses the same graphics as Horutoro Ruins and Mordion Gaol. Going by dialog tables, it's connected to the original conquest areas, but the most interesting thing is that it's a BCNM area (for those of you who don't play FFXI, this basically means a boss fight) and apparently it's meant to last for six hours(!), and perhaps most interesting of all are the following entries in the dialog tables:
    Dialog Table Entry 01145 Hostile forces in the Jeunoan regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01146 Hostile forces in the San d'Orian regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01147 Hostile forces in the Bastokan regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01148 Hostile forces in the Windurstian regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01149 Six hours left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01150 Three hours left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01151 One hour left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01152 Thirty minutes left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01153 You're almost out of time!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01154 The plane is shifting!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01155 All hostile forces have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01156 The plane slowly collapses upon itself...≺Prompt≻

Personally I'm of the opinion that The Last Stand might be a massive apocalyptic event they've got planned for when the FFXI servers finally shut down (especially considering the talk of planar collapse and hostile forces in Jeuno and the home nations), but some just think it's a testing ground for boss fights Square plans to implement in the future

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Wing Commander 3 spoilers
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

Maybe this was brought up, but I swear I saw that on the Playstation version of the game. I distinctly remember the Heart of the Tiger triggering the events.

Docshifty on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CZroe wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The game DID get released in the Player's Choice series but it had all the e-Reader stuff removed just like the European version. Everyone knows this.

Weird. Somehow, I never saw that release. Perhaps it never made it to Canada? Or Toronto? I don't know.

In any case, I can't find anything-- Wikipedia, Super Mario Wiki, or even just a Google Search result to corroborate the eReader stuff being removed.

Either way, I stand by my statement: a version of SMB3 with all the eReader stuff included on the cartridge would be money from me for the...fifth time?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arcibi wrote: »
    More of a hidden thing (in an MMORPG, no less), but one I've heard now and again for Final Fantasy XI:

There's an area called The Last Stand that apparently is unused for any quest or mission but has been sitting on the servers since the Rise of the Zilart expansion, and there has never been a way to actually access it

By using an external viewer to look at the .dat files, the actual area itself is broken up into several unconnected rooms, and uses the same graphics as Horutoro Ruins and Mordion Gaol. Going by dialog tables, it's connected to the original conquest areas, but the most interesting thing is that it's a BCNM area (for those of you who don't play FFXI, this basically means a boss fight) and apparently it's meant to last for six hours(!), and perhaps most interesting of all are the following entries in the dialog tables:
    Dialog Table Entry 01145 Hostile forces in the Jeunoan regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01146 Hostile forces in the San d'Orian regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01147 Hostile forces in the Bastokan regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01148 Hostile forces in the Windurstian regions have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01149 Six hours left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01150 Three hours left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01151 One hour left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01152 Thirty minutes left until planar collapse.≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01153 You're almost out of time!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01154 The plane is shifting!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01155 All hostile forces have been neutralized!≺Prompt≻

Dialog Table Entry 01156 The plane slowly collapses upon itself...≺Prompt≻

Personally I'm of the opinion that The Last Stand might be a massive apocalyptic event they've got planned for when the FFXI servers finally shut down (especially considering the talk of planar collapse and hostile forces in Jeuno and the home nations), but some just think it's a testing ground for boss fights Square plans to implement in the future

Sounds intriguing, but I'd probably guess at it being something similar to WoW's Lower Karazhan: a zone designed and implemented on the servers, but ultimately canned.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

A...is this sarcasm?

I was aiming for satire.

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Hobbes' defection was originally written as the result of an artificial personality overlay, but for some unfathomable reason they decided to cut this pretty significant detail out of the final version, although the cutscene was already recorded. WC3 is probably my least favorite game in the series, and this was a big part of the reason why (one of the others being the Kilrathis' Muppet look).

Still just boggles my mind that they thought Hobbes just being a traitor would be better storytelling.

Maybe this was brought up, but I swear I saw that on the Playstation version of the game. I distinctly remember the Heart of the Tiger triggering the events.

Yeah, Wikipedia says that the Playstation version included the cutscene, although Thrakhath saying "Heart of the Tiger" and the following business was still in the PC version -- PC gamers just had no way of knowing how they were connected.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    CZroe wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The game DID get released in the Player's Choice series but it had all the e-Reader stuff removed just like the European version. Everyone knows this.

Weird. Somehow, I never saw that release. Perhaps it never made it to Canada? Or Toronto? I don't know.

In any case, I can't find anything-- Wikipedia, Super Mario Wiki, or even just a Google Search result to corroborate the eReader stuff being removed.

Either way, I stand by my statement: a version of SMB3 with all the eReader stuff included on the cartridge would be money from me for the...fifth time?

Well, I exaggerated. Any mention is removed from the packaging and there are no included level cards.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Advance_4_e-Cards
    Note: Due to the discontinuation of the e-Reader, newer copies of the game do not come with cards, although the game itself is still compatible with the e-Reader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player%27s_Choice#Game_Boy_Advance
    Game Boy Advance [Player's Choice titles]
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
    Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
    Mario Kart: Super Circuit
    Pokémon FireRed
    Pokémon LeafGreen
    Super Mario Advance
    Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
    Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3
    Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3

CZroe on
  • Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xd3E8zgqJM4

The first footage of Rock Band that was leaked onto the intrawebs long ago. Check out the old UI (circle notes ect.)

Welcome to the Jungle never made it to Rock Band though, I'm assuming that Slash was told to stop that shit from happening while working on Guitar Hero 3.

---

There was also more hidden content within San Andreas besides Hot Coffee.

-Scripts for working Car Washes
    -Unused Audio for Missions

There were also hidden vehicles that were never used ingame but can be spawned such as:

The Andromada
    GTA-San-Andreas-Andromada-Mod-fixed_2.jpg
    It can actually be seen flying in the sky, but you can't fly it without spawning one.

FBI Van
    528_FBI-Truck.jpg
    Originally meant for a mission but never used.

---

Also, Guitar Hero 1's "Jordan", Trippolette, cannot be played without some action replay or hacking. The song was pretty much stupidly insane considering the hammer-on/pull-off system in Guitar Hero 1 was hard as hell.

Someone modded it into Guitar Hero II because the song pretty much needs the Hammer-On Pull Off system in Guitar Hero II to be played without missing anything by a good player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxp1U6SJ4eA

RCagent on
  • Options
    FuzzFuzz Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    In Perfect Dark, the 64 one.. wait.. the only one, what am I talking about?

Right, in Perfect Dark there are hidden slices of cheese in all the levels for some reason. Apparently Rare was going to have some cheat unlocked once a player located all the cheese, but it never made it to the game.

cheese14.jpg

Neat though.

Fuzz on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Docshifty wrote: »

Yeah, Wikipedia says that the Playstation version included the cutscene, although Thrakhath saying "Heart of the Tiger" and the following business was still in the PC version -- PC gamers just had no way of knowing how they were connected.

Yeah, the PSX and 3DO versions had the explaining video, mostly because they used the regular 74min CDs.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Fuzz wrote: »
    In Perfect Dark, the 64 one.. wait.. the only one, what am I talking about?

Right, in Perfect Dark there are hidden slices of cheese in all the levels for some reason. Apparently Rare was going to have some cheat unlocked once a player located all the cheese, but it never made it to the game.

cheese14.jpg

Neat though.

Are you choosing to ignore PD Zero? ;)

CZroe on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I always liked the hidden areas in WoW. The pirate island off the south end of Azeroth is a common destination, and early on you could use wall jumping exploits to get inside Hyjal. Blizzard eventually fixed almost all the wall jumps, so most of them are impossible now.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Lars_DomusLars_Domus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    There were also hidden vehicles that were never used ingame but can be spawned such as:

The Andromada
    It can actually be seen flying in the sky, but you can't fly it without spawning one.

Are you sure about that? I remember coming across a hugeass plane in one of the hangars in Las Venturas airport while messing around. It's a bit of a hassle, but it's fully possible to get it out and flying too. No cheats or hacks or anything. It's been a few years, but I'm like 90% sure it looked like the plane in your screenshot.

Edit: Apparently not. A quick look around the webs revealed the plane I was talking about was called AT 400 or somesuch. Carry on.

Lars_Domus on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What was the deal with the Lost Levels Mario game on the SNES?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    emnmnme wrote: »

There wasn't really a deal with it. It was Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, other countries got a different game skinned as Mario.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

There wasn't really a deal with it. It was Mario Bros. 2 in Japan, other countries got a different game skinned as Mario.

Was Lost Levels four games in one?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Nah it's just the real Mario 2, our Mario 2 is a reskin of Doki Doki Panic or something, with Mario sprites.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I assume you're talking about the lost levels game included in Super Mario Allstarts. If so, it was the Japanese Mario 2, if I remember correctly.

edit: Beaten. Badly.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009

There was technically no "Lost Levels Mario game" on the SNES. There was Mario All-Stars, which was four games in one, which included the Lost Levels, which was actually the Japanese Super Mario Bros. 2.

Back on the NES it had the same graphics and music as the first Mario Bros., IIRC. With some small additions like the poison mushrooms.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SMB2 was more than just a reskin, really.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    SkutSkut wrote: »

Nah it's just the real Mario 2, our Mario 2 is a reskin of Doki Doki Panic or something, with Mario sprites.

http://www.mariowiki.com/Doki_Doki_Panic

What's so interesting about it this game is that it game so many things to the future of the Mario series, like Shy Guys.

Edit: Here's a better article:

http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_ddp.shtml

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    exmelloexmello Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I swear I actually rented a copy of Lost Levels on NES in Canada. The box was homemade though.

Weren't Famicom games on smaller disks that would never fit in a North American NES?

This version was even harder than the All Stars though because the poison mushrooms looked exactly like 1ups.

exmello on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    They might fit in a top loader but I don't think they would run. However the system boards inside the plastic for both are the same size, there's a lot of wasted space in an english NES cartridge.

If what I am reading is true, Gyromite for NES used the famicom system board with a converter unit, and you can open it up and take Gyromite out and put any Japanese game in!?

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They might fit in a top loader but I don't think they would run. However the system boards inside the plastic for both are the same size, there's a lot of wasted space in an english NES cartridge.

If what I am reading is true, Gyromite for NES used the famicom system board with a converter unit, and you can open it up and take Gyromite out and put any Japanese game in!?

The converter board in Gyromite (and other early Black Label NES games) is absolutely true. I know because I have one.

Also, the poster above is thinking about the Famicom Disk System, which did indeed use a proprietary floppy disk. I believe SMB 2 was a Disk System game (as was Legend of Zelda and Metroid)

Famicom uses a 60-pin board and the NES a 72pin board, I believe. So you must have a converter.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    There's also a bunch of Mario 3 copies with converter boards inside of them.

FyreWulff on