As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Interest Gauge] War Thread

CantideCantide Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Critical Failures
OK, this is even geekier than most of what goes on here at CF, but bear with me. Many, many years ago, I used to enjoy participating in "war threads". Last week, I was reminded of them, and since then nostalgia has been slowly but inexorably creeping up on me. I got the idea of sating it by starting one up here, but I've never seen anything like them run in CF, and I thought I'd check if there was any interest before I went to the trouble.

Anyway, war threads are a bit like play-by-post games, with some exceptions:

1) There is no rules backbone. You can make any kind of character you want, capable of doing anything you want. The only restriction is not to be an ass and make your character an invincible avatar of death. Battles are all about creative fighting, not dice rolls.

2) While the OP often acts as a moderator for the thread, they don't have the same exclusive control that a GM would. Any of the participants can move the story along, and decide what happens. Again, the only rule here is not to be an ass.

3) While there will usually be NPCs to fight, war threads are very much about the infighting. They're a little like those big comic book crossovers, where all the heroes try to kill each other on first sight. If you have a grudge against someone, this would be the perfect setting to call them out.

4) There are no signups or set player lists. People can enter or leave the game whenever they want.

Some more info, shamelessly stolen from another forum:
A guide to those new to war and dueling threads - compiled by Flax, with help from Loweko and various other boardies.

Welcome, dear boardie, to the magical (and scientific, of course) world of war threading. If you have been a boardie for more than a few weeks, you probably already know what a war thread is, but just to be sure... let's start with the basics.

The aforementioned basics: What the hell is a war thread?!

A war thread, dear reader, is just what it sounds like. A thread in the Fun and Games forum, where the central premise is to do battle within some form of role-playing setting. This setting (ranging from complex plots to a simple "Hey, you! I'ma calling you out!") is set by the thread originator (poster). In a war thread, the poster's will is the undisputed rule, unless Maritza decides to argue for some reason.

There are usually some basic rules in every war thread, though these may be flouted by the poster. Be warned that these rules are preferred by most boardies today, and so shouldn't be flouted lightly. Oh, and remember: Rule One is Do Not Talk About War Threads.

General rules:

First of all, and most important, don't firkin' godmode! If you're curious as to what the hell godmoding (also referred to as munchkinism) is, Loweko has provided a very good definition:
Loweko wrote:
Godmoding is doing anything that makes you patently invincible if everyone else follows the rules. If I arrive with a 10,000-ship battlefleet and grind you all into powder beneath my heels in a single post, that's godmoding. Equally, doing actions retrospectively ("Aha! I KNEW you'd do that so I prepared a CUNNING PLAN which I will now reveal, killing you all!") is godmoding. It's not just flat-out refusing to die, although it can be. A more irritating form of godmoding is saying "I shoot X, killing him" - i.e. not giving X a chance to evade/recover.

Keep this definition in mind, but also keep in mind that any and all war threads allow some kind (a fair amount, actually) of godmoding, especially if it's creative. So check. Please.

Please, people, watch your grammar. We really don't mind the occasional misspelling, but posts consisting of "I use my sword of bashing +2 and hit bob and hit bob again and again bob suddenly falls to the ground bleeding and dying a lot and crying like a baby" [Editor's note - Thanks, Flax...] are discouraged. Use commas judiciously, but use them.

Don't get offended. Really, guys. If you're offended by your character getting dipped in boiling strawberry-flavored lava, don't join a war thread. Your character(s) will die multiple, creative, amusing times.

Die, then respawn. No need to miraculously evade death for more than one or two times, when you can just return to life. (Note: some war threads expressly forbid respawning. Read the first post diligently. If respawning is forbidden, then realize that you're gonna be out of it, and accept that as part of participating.)

Notice the setting by the thread originator. That is, really read the first post. If the first post in the thread indicates the setting is the year 4000-plus something in the future, making your character appear armed with a sword, bows and arrows, and knife won't exactly be smart. Same goes for a man in an EVA showing up in a D&D-esque world. Using in-setting technology is not considered godmoding, i.e. if you're a swordsman in the year 2000, nobody is obligated to spare you a second's thought before mowing you down with machine gun fire.

Politeness. This may sound rather silly, but it's usually a must. If two boardies are having a little scuffle between them, getting wordier and more intimate by the moment, it is recommended you check with at least one of them before joining in.

Most boardies don't mind sudden allies/enemies, but being polite is better than being teamed up upon by two annoyed war threaders. Also, if an opponent expresses the wish to stop fighting you, obliging won't hurt.

No armies, mobs, or battlefleets! Unless, of course, the thread states that it is a Risk-esque war thread, or you stipulate a mob of very weak people. For example, a mob of real people armed with swords against a cyborg armed with the firepower of a third-world nation would be... pretty fair. I'm sure you'd survive for a few minutes, at least. [Editor's note - If this is referring to what I think it is, Flax, they'd survive, if only because said cyborg would be rolling on the ground laughing.]

In closing: war threads are fun, if you take notice of what exactly goes on in them, take care not to offend or be offended, and go into them with the right spirit.

What are you doing still reading this? Go War!

In short, it's a very freeform experience, half roleplaying game and half storytelling circle.

So what do you think, CF? Does this sound like something you'd enjoy, or is it too nerdy/silly even for us?

Cantide on

• JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Freeform is quite nerdy but I had some fun with the two posts I made when writer's block did this a while back. If other peeps are in I might jump on board.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
  • SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like the idea of it, so I'll probably lurk a bit until I get the feel of it and join in later if one gets rolling. It sounds fun.

SuperRuper on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
  • eatmosushieatmosushi __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    The hearth in the time-worn tavern flickered listlessly as the figure settled uncomfortably in the creaking wooden chair. He didn't care what anyone said on the subject, lounging in a suit of inch thick steel plates was never pleasant. Unclasping one notched, and slightly discoulered gauntlet, he took up his tankard of ale and sipped with genuine enthusiasm.

His kite shield, battered, dented, and quite un-painted, sat at his side as though it were a pet, half expecting a few charity sips from the ale as well.

The longsword, which he'd had for so long he'd nearly forgotten where or when he'd acquired, moaned softly as the leather scabbard swung down from his hip in this most akward armoured seating position.

For the surly old battler, it had been a long time since he had enjoyed a drink in peace, but even longer since he'd tasted glorious conquest.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited September 2009
    He muttered to himself, something about some sort of chaffing or some other, and looked listlestly into the hearth... oh but for the sweet, sweet succor of combat, the thrill of victory, the nurturing brew of adrenaline and fury.

But for now, there was peace.

And this bothered him.

eatmosushi on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Spun uncontrollably skyward... Driven brutally into the ground
    edited September 2009
    The tavern truly was the eye of a storm, as outside a tempest raged around a man hidden in the dark folds of a tattered, piecemeal robe. From the robe flew no weapon but just a seething, tangible hate. The son of the first held no ill will anymore but toward Him, the Righteous Lord, the Banisher. But to see the tempest wrought on His people would do.

Unwrapping the robe from his face, Cain's brand is still fresh as the day He placed it there. In fact, it is all very much the same from head to dirt-clad feet, for even time has not dared to reap the seven-fold vengeance of his death.

The howling of air grows to a pitch around him as he channels the eons of hate and with a silent gesture, removes a wall of the tavern with a shredding black wind.
    EDIT: Ha. Just realized this was an interest thread. Hope you don't mind a demo Cantide.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    The aftershock of the Cain marked's impromptu renovation of the tavern sent a stiff enough breeze to cause the fickle flame in the hearth to go into a short caniption fit, but soon it settled... the old, grizzled soldier glanced up at the poorly dressed, angry little man. It dawned on him that this malevolent drizzle was going to more than likely severely impede any progress he might be having in the local brothels this evening.

With a resigned sigh, he slugged down what was left of his drink, set the tankard down on the nearby table, half-expecting it weather whatever was about to occur. Standing up, not looking up at the robed fellow, he methodically slid his hand back into the gauntelt, fastening it. He stooped down, drawing the shield up into his left hand, his right hand reaching out towards the thrower of biblical tantrums, an armour clad finger extended towards him.

"I was using that..." he happened to mention, reffering to the de-buildinged wall.

eatmosushi on
    edited September 2009
    Cain turns to the warrior with a stony stare and says, "I was expecting more from this place but in the time I have I can savor a few deaths here and there I suppose." The black wind again encircles the robed man as he stalks toward the warrior and sheets of rain begin to fly into the three-walled tavern.

And as Cain steps foot on the remains of the tavern floor, the black wind pounces toward the armored one, tearing up the floor boards as it flies at him with the resolve of eons. It spews an infinity of hateful utterances and tastes of the blood it has claimed. This may be a long night for them both.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2009
    "Sure looks that way" he agreed, using some sort of stony adjective to describe the way in which he agreed.

"This'll be an easy one, I'll just use my magic sword here and vanquish you with the powers of The Ancients"

He drew his sword, pointing it towards the robed man, "now try THIS on for size!"

He waved the sword a few times, letting out a triumphant hoo! and a ha!

... nothing happens.

"Oh. Right. I forgot." He cracked a wry smile, lowering his head so that his chin dipped just below his outstreteched shield, and broke into a calm jog, drawing his arm back and fixing his gaze upon the robed target.

"I don't much care for that magical nonsense," he finished, gritting his teeth with the full intention of slashing his target with the oh-so-unremarkable sword, should he reach his destination unmolested.

eatmosushi on
  • StygianSmileyFaceStygianSmileyFace Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is this still an interest thread?

StygianSmileyFace on
    edited September 2009
    consider this thread in action

eatmosushi on
  • gotorightway123gotorightway123 __BANNED USERS new member
    edited September 2009
    I agree with this statement. The tavern truly was the eye of a storm, as outside a tempest raged around a man hidden in the dark folds of a tattered, piecemeal robe. From the robe flew no weapon but just a seething, tangible hate. The son of the first held no ill will anymore but toward Him, the Righteous Lord, the Banisher. But to see the tempest wrought on His people would do. Unwrapping the robe from his face, Cain's brand is still fresh as the day He placed it there. In fact, it is all very much the same from head to dirt-clad feet, for even time has not dared to reap the seven-fold vengeance of his death.

gotorightway123 on
    edited September 2009
    The blackness continues to tear toward the warrior as he seemingly makes no effort to evade it. With a shocking suddenness it is on top of him; a furious, stabbing cloud that tears the floor from beneath his feet and rakes at him with inky claws, seeking any holes in his age-worn armor.

The unsmiling Cain simply looks on with a gaze of startling focus as the tempest does his dark work. His robes drip on the floor as the storm continues unabated by the scant remains of the inn.

JacquesCousteau on
    steam_sig.png