As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Injury/Illness/Health Stories (embarrassing, funny or terrible): NOT A POLICY THREAD

joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class TraitorSmoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
I looked for a thread like this and I couldn't find one.
2741.gif

"Because sick people are high-larious."
-Jayne Cobb

Let's talk about your medical conditions, from the benign to the horrendous. This can include:
  • Injuries caused by physical trauma (ex. broken bones, concussions)
  • Lifelong conditions (ex. asthma, food allergies)
  • Diseases and other illnesses (ex. syphilis, swine flu, anthrax)
  • Other stuff related to your health but not related to the above

You get bonus points if there is an interesting (preferably embarrassing so we can sympathize and laugh with you) story attached. Not every story has to be funny; you can share something hurtful as well. Note that this should be a safe place for the discourse of these things, so please don't mock others who share.

THIS IS NOT THE HEALTHCARE POLICY THREAD. WE ARE NOT DISCUSSING THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEM, ONLY ANECDOTES RELATING TO INDIVIDUAL SITUATIONS. PLEASE TAKE YOUR HEALTHCARE POLITICS TO THE HEALTHCARE POLICY THREAD.

I'll kick things off. I was once knocked unconscious by a door. Allow me to explain.

I was at my High School after normal school hours because I was the leader of the German folkdancing group (hnnnng I wanted to be nonspecific but if I expect other people to tell their embarrassing stories I guess I'd better pony up). My younger brother was also in the group. After we finished with our practice, we walked out the front door of the school. My brother was in front and I was behind. The door was glass with a frame of metal, and had one of those hydraulic thingies to keep it from closing too quickly. Well, little-known fact: if you apply just the right force on the opposite side of the open door, it will slam closed regardless of the mechanism designed to keep this from happening. What happens next is hard to describe. My brother went through and hesitated, taking a quick step backwards. This step hit the bottom of the door in such a way that the door flew back and the metal frame hit me square in the eyebrow so hard that the glass shattered all over the place.

I remember waking up in the hospital getting stitches (5 or 6) and I didn't have an eyebrow for a while. The scar is still there behind my eyebrow. I guess if you you have to get a scar, there are worse places.

I have other stories, but the OP is getting overly long and I want to read some of yours.

PS -- If you have gory injury pics to glorify your infirmaries, show them to us! We all want to see.

joshofalltrades on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    I got massive second degree burns from an exploding stuffed gator, which was filled with flash powder and was being used as a prop for a school project.

The burns were agitated to 3rd degree burns by an incompetent asshole doctor.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    CorlisCorlis Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My brother once had to get a couple of stitches on his head because he tried to walk through a door, and missed.

Corlis on
    But I don't mind, as long as there's a bed beneath the stars that shine,
    I'll be fine, just give me a minute, a man's got a limit, I can't get a life if my heart's not in it.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    syndalis wrote: »
    I got massive second degree burns from an exploding stuffed gator

God DAMMIT

Thread already over?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, I posted this a while back, and I'm going to re-post it here.

Pony Injury Story Highlight Reel!

Fractured Ankles, Dislocated Knee:
    couple years back, i was playing airsoft

it was a night game, very little lighting

i am running across the field and i fall into a 4 foot trench

i fractured both my ankles and dislocated my left knee

but i wanted to keep playing, so i popped my knee back in, sat down for about twenty minutes, then got myself fired up and kept playing

the next day my ankles swelled up like there was tennis balls growing out of them

apparently this should have been an indicator to me that i have an adrenal imbalance, but i was just like "rawr i am a big tough man"

Torn Medial Meniscus Tendon:
    i tore my left medial meniscus tendon in 10th grade

for those of you ain't of the medical sort, it's basically the tendon that holds your kneecap in place and is kind of necessary to walk

i was playing football, and a dude basically tackled me at full force right into the top of my knee, and hyperextended the entire thing backwards

had a leg like a grasshopper, basically

your knee ain't supposed to bend like that, no sir

at the time, it hurt, but not terribly so

i was more alarmed by looking my knee bent in an un-natural fashion, just rapidly repeating "oh god" over and over

it wasn't until they popped it back into place that i was in severe pain. i screeched like a frightened child.

i still have problems with it on some days, get an awful soreness

Severe Concussion, Fractured Skull, Broken Ribs, Chipped Shoulder:
    about nine years back i had a rather severe disagreement with a fellow over some outstanding issues, and for reasons which do not need exploring at this juncture, this escalated to him going into his house and coming out with a baseball bat

i tried to talk him down from there, and i had figured he was more trying to intimidate me to make a point

no, no he had every intention of using it and did so

he took a big ole swing for the fences, and i was back up against a wall so i had nowhere to go, so i did my best to try to block

well, the simple reality is that a man just isn't equipped to block an aluminum bat with his arms. he hit me in the shoulder and my entire left arm just went numb and limp from the hit, so i took the second hit in the head

i don't remember much after that, naturally

woke up in his garage with a blue plastic tarp over me, big ole pool of blood around my noggin

got up, horrific sharp pain in my left shoulder and ribs (obviously he worked me over some after i hit the ground)

i fumble around his garage in the dark, trying to figure out what the fuck i am going to do

can't figure out how to open the garage door, realize i gotta get the fuck out of there, so i make the (incredibly poor) decision to go into the house

i blunder in, find the man in his living room on the phone. he sees me, goes pale, and runs to his kitchen and grabs a big ole kitchen knife

comes at me with it. we struggle a bit, i end up the better of the situation and with the knife, despite my injuries and he and i have some words with him in a more compromised position

turns out he had believed he had beaten me to death, and was panicking and calling friends of his to find out what to do with the body he now had in his garage.

we have a bit of a conversation, he and i, and decide to resolve our business and let things go. i convince him it is in his better interests to call me a cab, and he does so

we have a sit down while we wait for my cab, apologies were said, and i leave

as i'm leaving, his motherfucking dog that was out in the front yard the whole god damn time is barking at me and trying to jump at me and is all standing on it's hind legs on the end of its leash getting in my face

all dizzy and concussed and nauseous and suchforth, and more than a little perturbed at my circumstance, i lose my holdings and ralph on the fucking dog. he was not too impressed, to say the least, and ran off to the porch.

i got in the cab, cab driver is just laughing his ass off because i just puked on some guy's dog, starts saying to me about having too much to drink and hoping i'm empty now and he sees my face and yells holy shit a bunch and insists on driving me to the hospital

we argue a bit about it, he ends up driving me to a friend of mine's who is a paramedic and i know would patch me up without the questions and wait period i'd get at the hospital

i gave the cab driver $60 for a $20 cab ride, and got fixed up

buddy of mine ended up talking me into seeing a doctor the next day

had a concussion, minor skull fracture, couple broken ribs, smashed a chip off my left shoulder

moral of the story:

putting your dog on a leash in the front yard is stupid

don't do that

Concussion, Broken Nose:
    first concussion i ever had i was in the fifth grade

it was winter and out back of my school there was this massive strip of ice that kids all liked to slide down like a big ole slippin' slide

i was no exception to this wholesome and fun-filled predilection

i went for a good ole slide, and got up at the end of the slide, intending to run around on the snow and go for another go-round, as was the unwritten procedure of the ice-slide

however, i obviously wasn't far enough at the end of the strip, and another kid came barrelling down and took the legs out from under me.

like, literally i was airborn, tossed ass over tea kettle straight forwards, hitting face first right on the ice

i was down for a moment, but got up easy enough under my own power, but when i go to walk i stumble and i'm dizzy as shit and all those standard elements of being concussed to which my youngself was unfamiliar

most disconcerting, however, was my vision. my vision wasn't blurred, it was blocked. you know how if you look at a lightsource for too long a period, the light sort of "burns in" to your vision, leaving a multicolored splotch in your vision?

imagine that taking up your entire field of view. like, you've still got your peripheral vision, but the entire center of where you are looking is blacked out by multi-colored cloud of nothing

i panicked. I didn't know what the fuck happened to me but i knew it was not good, so i started just shouting for help

it was then that i noticed there was blood pouring from my nose, getting into my mouth and down my throat (i had also managed to break my nose on impact)

i couldn't even talk right. all i managed to exclaim was "HALLA HALLPPAA" and then i fell down into a mumbling, crying heap

fortunately, the ice strip was supervised by a teacher during recesses, so i got help pretty quick

but to a young lad with no frame of reference to what was happening, the experience was terrifying

Fractured Skull, Concussion, Broken Ribs, Severe Stab Injury to Leg:
    when i was a kid, i played on a construction site with my friends

hahahahahaha

okay that sentence in and of itself is really dumb right

but!

it gets even more dumb!

i actually climbed up some beam work and started swinging around like i was a high seas pirate on the mast surveying the seas.

and then i slipped and fell 20' feet straight down onto upwards facing rebar. i broke several of my ribs, split the back of my skull, and had a 2 foot long piece of rebar impale me through the right thigh.

it came this close to puncturing my femoral artery, which would have killed me before help arrived.

but it gets more dumb!

my friends, panicking like useless shits, actaully tried several times to lift me two feet off the ground to pull me off the rebar, doing far more damage and coming really close to killing me

only my panicked screaming made them stop, and then they got help and an ambulance was called

the ambulance guys did their best to tend to me, but the reality was they couldn't just lift me off the rebar, you know? could bust my femoral open after all.

so they get the firemen to get this giant saw out of the truck, because they intended to cut the rebar off below my leg and just take the whole darn thing with me to the hospital where they could take it out more safely

and i am sure they told me this, but i was full of panic and head injury

so i all i seen was the saw and i wasn't listening and assumed they were going to cut off my leg

which only made me panic worse and start flailing, fucking my leg up worse and suchforth

they doped me, apparently, despite how terrible an idea it is to dope a little kid who is bleeding and has a head injury, they simply couldn't restrain me enough to get the saw safely anywhere near me

i bounced back pretty easy, though. i was lucky, didn't hit anything important or nothing

i got a funky scar on my right thigh nowdays, like a big ole dent

when i was in high school i told some people it was a gunshot wound because i wanted to sound hardcore

Fractured Sternum, Broken Hand:
    worst injury i've ever suffered from any kind of sport

aside from the knee, which is pretty bad and permanent

but talking in terms of sheer pain

is a sternum fracture

mixed martial arts tournament. second round, i'm taking on this black belt in karate. me? i'm like 16 and been doing muay thai for a few years and i'm like "pfft, karate. pfft. that's what fat kids who need self-confidence learn. karate is for chumps."

yeah

that attitude got me a fractured sternum

was sloppy with the dude early on into the first round, and my guard was waaaaay too open

guy comes in with one of them karate forearm forward strike thingies

the sort of thing you see paul phoenix do in tekken and you are like that move looks stupid

yeah uh you take one of those badboys full on in the chest and whooo your whole ribcage feels like it just imploded

every breath is fire

i seriously thought i was gonna die

buddies of mine take me to the hospital but since the tournament was unlicensed can't tell them the truth of what happened, and as a result they told him i was helping them move and a couch fell on me.

doctor pointed out that didn't explain my swollen hands and face, but whatever.

Dislocated Both Arms:
    i've dislocated both my shoulders

at once!

years ago i was up at my cousin's cottage, and he had a moped

i was fuckin bootin' around on that thing, having a whale of a time

i did wheelies and was like fuck yeah look at me i am the king!

then i tried to do a stoppie

and went ass over tea kettle, hurtling towards the gravel road

i instinctively put my arms up, but due to the way i tensed up and straightened them, basically the full force of the impact went into my shoulders and dislocated them both

i don't have a lot of memory of the rest of it because i went into shock immediately

Multiple Lacerations, Partial Drowning, SEVERE MENTAL SCARRING
    i once scratched my own arms open pretty bad

still got a couple faint scars from that

bad, bad tale of DMT and even worse decisions

for those of you who don't know about psychotropic drugs, DMT is a pretty potent chemical. There's many different ways to get ahold of DMT, and many ways to consume it. It appears naturally in a few plants.

prior to the unfortunate experience that is the subject of this story, I had done DMT primarily through a shared bowl of a tea called Ayahuasca, which is made from several different types of plants and contains DMT and other psychotropics.

I had never done DMT through insufflation, but i knew some guys who had gotten ahold of some virola bark (which is ground up to make DMT snuff)

so we go over to this one dude's house to try this out. now, this fellow, he's something of a psychotropic connoisseur and enjoyed experimentation with new substances and experiences.

so he's got this home made sensory deprivation chamber he made from and incomplete bath-tub with an aluminum lid, that he's used for "spiritual" acid trips

i decide to take a spin in the chamber after snorting a bunch of virola powder, which is pretty close to pure DMT.

i lay down in the water, and wait for the "deep spiritual experience" to start

instead i just have hallucinations of pure terror. my fears manifest. i don't remember the details of everything i imagined, other than the centipedes

see, i couldn't really see myself or my arms or anything, right, but for some reason or another i believed that there were centipedes under my skin

so i started screaming in terror and clawing at the skin on my arms and chest, trying to get the centipedes out.

but all i can feel is them digging deeper

so i tried to get out of the chamber but the lid wouldn't budge. i started scratching the aluminum lid so hard it ripped out three of my fingernails. i started punching the lid and denting it, the whole time screaming "GIVE ME A KNIFE I NEED A KNIFE" because i had to get the centipedes out

apparently, the other dudes there were actually holding the lid shut because they were terrified that i was giong to murder all of them (i was, after all, screaming for a knife)

since i was unable to get them out with my nails and couldn't get out of the chamber, i decided the best thing to do was to try to drown myself in the water, because maybe they'd leave

so i turned over facedown in the bathtub 1/3 full of bloody water and tried to drown myself. apparently the guys on the outside heard me go silent and start gurgling, and it was then they opened the lid and pulled me out

i don't remember much else beyond that, but according to them they had to flush the water from my lungs and hold me in blankets until i came down

Fractured Jaw:
    i've had my jaw fractured

holy fucking jesus that was painful

had a bit of a confrontation with some fellows when i was a teenager, one of those "he shows up with his guys and you show up with yours and everyone stares each other down doing nothing" type deals

at least, that was the plan

big manly show-off with no violence

i am talking smack to this one fellow, and he leans away and looks away like he's turning his back on me, which means a suckerpunch is coming and i damn well know it

only he hits me with a hammer

like, a claw hammer you build shit with. he hits me with a hammer in the face

i stagger backwards, and of course all hell breaks loose and your standard high school brawl ensues. i didn't even register the hit, really, so i just flew into the fight with everyone else, even got the hammer away from this guy and chucked it away

about five minutes or so tops it was over and cops showed up and suchforth

my face swelled so much, holy god

it looked like i was smuggling a tennis ball in my cheek like a squirrel or some damn thing

hurt soooo much after i came down off the adrenaline and such. i cried the entire way to the hospital

Stabbed in the Ribs:
    my ribcage is assymetrical nowdays

years ago i was at this poolhall and me and a buddy were hustling these dudes

good lord did we ever think we were so clever, couple of 19 year old dudes hustling these big slinger assholes

they tried to pick a fight with us once they realized they were getting hustled. they got tossed from the place.

we thought they would just, you know, go home

hahhahaha man we were dumb

after we left at like 1 am they were still waiting for us

got into scuffle, ended up getting stabbed in the side pretty bad

dug right into a rib. i'm lucky it hit rib and not, you know, precious organs

but now i've got a nifty scar and my ribcage has got a dent in it

the scar has mostly faded by the rib dent will apparently be there forever

it's not really noticable unless people start feeling up my chestspace

That's only some of them, and not the ones for illnesses, which I will make in another post!

Pony on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Okay, another one:

I've had massively horrible allergies my entire life, but it got worse when I moved to Texas for some reason. Well, in fifth grade, I had a teacher who was basically Satan. I won't go into non-health specifics on that last assertion, just trust me. Satan.

We had a class garden out by the playground where we were growing many vegetables, as well as sunflowers and other things that I was incredibly allergic to. Well, nobody wanted to keep up with this garden, so it fell into disrepair after a couple of months. So my teacher tells me one day that I must go out and pull all of the weeds in the garden. Keep in mind I was a very short kid, and these weeds towered above adults. I told her that I was allergic to almost everything in that garden to some extent. She scoffed at me and accused me of lying to get out of work. Then she threatened to fail me in one of my courses if I refused. Well, I had an abusive father who would have beaten the shit out of me if I failed something, so I decided to risk the garden.

I shit you not, only a couple short minutes after stepping through that gate I started getting itchy all over. My teacher refused to provide gardening gloves, so I was pulling massive weeds with my bare hands. A short time later, I started breaking out in hives and having difficulty breathing. My face was swelling up and my hands started getting shaky. I could feel my throat closing up.

I stumbled out of the gate and another teacher across the yard saw me and immediately picked me up and carried me to the nurse's office. After giving me some Benadryl and letting me lie down on one of the little beds they had, they asked me why I was working in the garden when I knew I was allergic to weeds/pollen/etc.

I still have no idea how that teacher kept her job.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    because it's just too depressing to go into extended detail, here are the trials and tribulations of Bobcesca from about the age of 10.

Age 10:
    Knee mysteriously swells up, is extremely painful, and difficult to walk on for about a week and then the swelling would reduce and all would be fine. Repeat monthly for about six years.

Age 11:
    Left shoulder starts to dislocate at the slightest provocation (picking up a pen, reaching for a door, etc.). Sees specialist surgeon after a year or so of people not having a clue and am told that there is a 67% chance the operation to fix it would go wrong, and that I'm too young anyway. Physio to tighten muscles leading to tightness in my shoulder muscles for the rest of my life so far (15 odd years so far).

Age 12:
    Start getting really tired, headaches, food allergies, blackouts, etc. Finally given a diagnosis of M.E. (though not from my GP, who tried to trick my parents into signing something to allow me to be sectioned). Miss three years of school, nearly end up in a wheelchair, get close to agrophobia ('cos I would quite often not leave the house for weeks at a time), associated depression from age 15, low to fuck all immune system to the present day, put on crapload of weight I've never been able to lose, still have a load of food allergies from this, etc.

Age 17/18:
    Knee pain, which has been intermittent for the past couple of years gets really, really bad. Nearly end up in a wheelchair (and have to use them for shopping, holidays, etc), passed around from consultant to consultant with no one able to give me a proper answer to what is wrong with me. Takes several years for any kind of pain-killer regime to be properly set up.

Age 21ish
    Pain moves into all my joints. And gets even worse. Finally get decent pain-killers but have to keep modifying doseage (and the months where it wasn't right were torture)

Age 25ish
    One doctor says I have fibromyalgia. However, it's still not a proper diagnosis, so none of that lovely "you are properly disabled" government money for me.
    Told that whatever is wrong with me is definitely degenerative and will be with me for the rest of my life. This there will be very strong drugs for the rest of my life so it would be dangerous for me to ever think about getting pregnant.

Age 26
    Start getting further problems with my hands and fingers, specifically tingling, numbness and pain. Go to GP who sends me to a neurologist who, after tests says I have Carpal Tunnel in both hands. Try to use splints but it gets worse.

Age 27:
    Finally try to get hands sorted after suffering for a year or so.
    Operation on left hand doesn't work, so they do something around the elbow, which also doesn't work.
    Operation on right hand seems to maybe have worked (but it's too early to tell for sure).

On top of all the regular pain I have on a day to day basis in all my joints, I will have pretty bad flare ups in my shoulders and back due to hyperflexability, for which the physio exercises cause so much pain they leave me bed-ridden, so I just have to take extra painkillers until it calms down a bit.

And that's been the past 17 years.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I've had issues with ingrown toenails on my big toes thanks to working at amusement park.

A few months after said accident I wound up having to go into the hospital as nail was digging into the side of my toe. I still had to wait for a surgeon consult but the on call doctor said he would remove part of the nail so that it could relieve pressure for a bit. I was fine with this and my g/f now fiancee was at the bedside while he got an anasthetic ready. I'm not a huge fan of needles so I was looking up at the ceiling when I felt a horrendous amount of pain shoot through my toe and foot. My eyes are rolling into the back of my head and my knuckles went white. I hadn't expected the needle to hurt so much and I figured that it did because of swelling etc. My fiancee excused herself until the work was done and after it was she came in and asked how I was. I said I was alright and that's when she explained what had happened. The doctor had started inserting the needle into various spot while under my skin and at one point the needle went through my toe. As in in through the top and out through the bottom. She said he wiggled it a bit and squirted some anastetic out which would up getting that tissue paper on hospital beds wet under my toe.

A few months later my toe became infected thanks to the issues with the nail and I was about a week away from surgery. It was so bad that I couldn't sleep with a sheet on my foot so I would normally keep that foot out when I slept. I woke up one night feeling a shot of pain in my toe and figured I had brushed it up against something. I thought nothing of it and stated to drift off again and felt another shot. I sit up and my 8 month old kitten is on the bed nomming on my damn toe! I was so pissed off at her. Thankfully though the infection was treated and I got done what I needed to.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Geez BobCesca, yours sounds like it could be on Mystery Diagnosis.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Geez BobCesca, yours sounds like it could be on Mystery Diagnosis.

There have been jokes made that the only way we'll find out what's wrong with me is if I got to meet House.

I am also known as a hypochondriac who is actually ill.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    aseriesofchasmsaseriesofchasms Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    this is kind of an odd one:

I have a mental condition that, before receiving treatment and all that, occasionally made me have little freak out sections that, to the untrained eye, looked like a cross between a panic attack and a seizure. The only discernable part about it was when i would start screaming about things that weren't there.

Well one day at school, I satrted having one, and I fell in the middle of that hall and just straight up started losing my shit. My memories are a little clouded, but from what I've heard from people, it was a normal freakout, I was on the floor, flopping around, yelling about various nefarious creatures that were out to get me. People started coming out of classrooms, the school nurse ran to my aid, ambulances were called, chaos was ensuing. I remember looking up and seeing my then-girlfriend crying, and I apparently yelled that this was her fault (more than likely, I was not yelling at her, per se, but someone else).

I grew up in a very small rural area in southern Virginia, and it was by no means a progressive thinking area, and mental illness was not something a lot of people knew about, and it surely wasn't something you talked about. Because of this, no one really had any idea whats going.

So while teachers are running around, students are scared, crying, or in shock, guirneys being wheeled in, I'm still flopping and yelling like Charles Manson at a parole board, one of the more narrow minded girls sees what's happening. She is a Devout Fundamentalist Christian, and she had missed school before to watch the 700 club instead. While the EMTs are trying to safely get me on the guirney (I was getting a little violent), she screams, at the top of her lungs, the following:

"He's been taken by the spirit of Satan! Jesus is fighting the battle! I feel him IN ME!" She then proceeds to fall on the floor next to me and flop and yell and scream.

So there I was, having a complete psychotic break, with a Fundamentalist with no mental conditions flopping and yelling next to me.

She was suspended for "mocking" me.

aseriesofchasms on
    If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Mild problems with doctors and insurance:
    I've had a wrist problem from an old weight lifting injury and went and saw a few general doctors and a few specialists. I even got an MRI for the problem (which I had to fight the insurance company over even though they said they would cover it before I got it). No one could figure out what was wrong so they suggested putting me in a wrist brace and if that didn't fix the problem they would put me in a cast from my hand to my bicep. I didn't do the cast option because the doctors had no idea what was wrong and were taking guesses at fixes. Also I type for a living and that cast would prevent me from typing with my left arm.

I've also had other issues which a plethora of doctors have not been able to figure out. So I basically have little faith in doctors to actually solve problems.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I was born with a condition called Brown's Syndrome (I think that's what it's called, or at least used to be called; I think they changed the name). Basically, it's a complicated way of saying that the tendon that controls the movement of my left eye is a little too tight. It basically pulls my eye out of focus slightly. You can't tell by looking at me unless I'm tired and I start looking up. Then you can see my eye pulling to the side. But it does skew my vision slightly under normal circumstance, too. It makes me very right eye dominant, to the point where my brain just doesn't bother processing what it sees from my left eye unless I pay attention.

A few years ago, I went to the ophthalmologist for a normal check-up. I knew about this condition, but I didn't know how bad it actually was until he started checking me for new reading glasses since the old ones were giving me a headache. The problem was that the magnification in the glasses was making the Brown's Syndrome worse, but I didn't know it. So he's testing me to put a prism in one lense to realign my vision, and he kept asking me to tell me when the screens I was looking at lined up in my vision. What screens? I only see one. No you should see two, try to concentrate. I still only see one. Well, it looks like over the years you've become very right-eye dominant. Yeah, but I'm right handed and tend to focus everything towards my right side naturally. Isn't that normal?

It was at this point that I realize that I had literally seen everything wrong my entire life and never knew it. I thought that this was how everyone saw things, and had no idea that I actually had that significant a problem. I've never had great depth perception. I see things like a TV screen, where you can tell there's depth, but you can't really give a definitive answer as to how much depth. I can drive easily as the further something is from me the easier it is to tell the distance, and since I've dealt with it since I was born I've pretty much learned to compensate for it. But I've always had trouble giving an actual number of feet that something is from me, as I can only tell in the ballpark. It's also why I always had trouble playing ball as a kid. I would do the typical nerdy kid thing of freaking when the ball came at me and holding out my hands to stop it, but the reason was because I genuinely couldn't tell how far away the ball was or how fast it was coming at me.

On a related note, a former coworker told me a story from when he was a kid. I don't remember all the details, but if I remember correctly he said that he broke his cheek (I think, but it was something in the face). It was shortly after that he was playing little league baseball and he got beaned. But because of the previous injury, the internal pressure in his head and his sinus had changed just right that when he got hit with the ball, his eye popped out of it's socket and was hanging by the optic nerve. They were able to get him to the hospital and save the eye, and as far as I know he can see fine now.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've had a wrist problem from an old weight lifting injury and went and saw a few general doctors and a few specialists. I even got an MRI for the problem (which I had to fight the insurance company over even though they said they would cover it before I got it). No one could figure out what was wrong so they suggested putting me in a wrist brace and if that didn't fix the problem they would put me in a cast from my hand to my bicep. I didn't do the cast option because the doctors had no idea what was wrong and were taking guesses at fixes.

Doing anything is better than doing nothing, amirite?

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Dalboz wrote: »
    I was born with a condition called Brown's Syndrome (I think that's what it's called, or at least used to be called; I think they changed the name). Basically, it's a complicated way of saying that the tendon that controls the movement of my left eye is a little too tight. It basically pulls my eye out of focus slightly. You can't tell by looking at me unless I'm tired and I start looking up. Then you can see my eye pulling to the side. But it does skew my vision slightly under normal circumstance, too. It makes me very right eye dominant, to the point where my brain just doesn't bother processing what it sees from my left eye unless I pay attention.

A few years ago, I went to the ophthalmologist for a normal check-up. I knew about this condition, but I didn't know how bad it actually was until he started checking me for new reading glasses since the old ones were giving me a headache. The problem was that the magnification in the glasses was making the Brown's Syndrome worse, but I didn't know it. So he's testing me to put a prism in one lense to realign my vision, and he kept asking me to tell me when the screens I was looking at lined up in my vision. What screens? I only see one. No you should see two, try to concentrate. I still only see one. Well, it looks like over the years you've become very right-eye dominant. Yeah, but I'm right handed and tend to focus everything towards my right side naturally. Isn't that normal?

It was at this point that I realize that I had literally seen everything wrong my entire life and never knew it. I thought that this was how everyone saw things, and had no idea that I actually had that significant a problem. I've never had great depth perception. I see things like a TV screen, where you can tell there's depth, but you can't really give a definitive answer as to how much depth. I can drive easily as the further something is from me the easier it is to tell the distance, and since I've dealt with it since I was born I've pretty much learned to compensate for it. But I've always had trouble giving an actual number of feet that something is from me, as I can only tell in the ballpark. It's also why I always had trouble playing ball as a kid. I would do the typical nerdy kid thing of freaking when the ball came at me and holding out my hand, but the reason was because I genuinely couldn't tell how far way the ball was or how fast it was coming at me.

Stories like this are a big part of the reason I created this thread. I have never heard of Brown's before.

Also, your eye-scream story is entertaining as well.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    My thumb once decided to swell up to a throbbing little piece of hell filled with the worst possible fluid a body can produce. Had the damn thing turned necrotic even the maggots would just have wriggled themselves the fuck out, cursing their idiotic mothers for being laid there.

So off to the hospital I go with my friend in tow in order to have the thing taken care of. Said and done, four anesthetic needles go into my thumb at various places (they tried two first, but the instant the scalpel touched my skin I felt as if I was in the hands of the Dark Eldar) and then it's cutting time. So I try to have a casual conversation with my friend while looking away from my thumb which, at the time, featured in a re-enactment of those twenty minutes they had to cut out of Event Horizon. The pain was at this time pretty interesting - it was as if I could perfectly taste the flavor and intensity of the pain (they had to cut deep to get all the OHGOD out of there) but there was a coat of flour all over my tongue to dampen things.

After drainage, my friend told me they had to rinse everything out and medicinal logic dictated there was to be a turkey baster filled with salt water into ground zero. However, at first there was some resistance against the water, but that apparently resolved itself with a spatter of - says friend as he sits next to me - "six feet". Some of it got on my jeans (I wish I could end a different kind of story in this manner).

Well, I was still doing military service at the time, so out I go, with my less-than-closed thumb, into the rainy Swedish woodland for eight sweaty days in order to handle decades-old doodads while having no real function in order to get me ready for extremely unlikely and obsolete war scenarios. Fuckfuckfuckhatehatedeathfuckhatedeathfuckfuckfuck.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I've had a wrist problem from an old weight lifting injury and went and saw a few general doctors and a few specialists. I even got an MRI for the problem (which I had to fight the insurance company over even though they said they would cover it before I got it). No one could figure out what was wrong so they suggested putting me in a wrist brace and if that didn't fix the problem they would put me in a cast from my hand to my bicep. I didn't do the cast option because the doctors had no idea what was wrong and were taking guesses at fixes.

It would be nice if they said something like "We think you might have X so we will solve it with Y" instead of "I don't know whats wrong lets do Y for the hell of it"

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

It would be nice if they said something like "We think you might have X so we will solve it with Y" instead of "I don't know whats wrong lets do Y for the hell of it"

If they actually mean it when they say it, then I'm all for the first one. Sadly, most of the time when I was told the first thing, they really meant the second.

aseriesofchasms on
    If you can do a half-assed job of anything, you're a one-eyed man in a kingdom of the blind.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I mean, I can understand a brace while they try to figure out the real problem.

I just don't understand, "Here's random solution X. If that doesn't work, we'll go with more severe random solution Y."

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    On the cool side of this ordeal I got to see my wrist under a live x-ray that they used to accurately inject the contrast dye between some bones. (for the MRI)

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    BobCesca wrote: »
    because it's just too depressing to go into extended detail, here are the trials and tribulations of Bobcesca from about the age of 10.

HOLYSHITTINGFUCK snip

And that's been the past 17 years.

Did you at least get a few lollipops on the way? Because. Damn.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    On the cool side of this ordeal I got to see my wrist under a live x-ray that they used to accurately inject the contrast dye between some bones. (for the MRI)

that would be pretty sweet, yeah.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At my sister-in-law's wedding reception (only a month and a half ago), I started feeling like there was some sort of rodent in my skull digging at and eating my brains. Then the right half of my face started to go very numb.

I was freaking out pretty bad about it, mostly holding my head in between my legs on the floor, rocking back and forth and moaning things like, "Oh god no it hurts it hurts IT HURTS". My wife ran me to the hospital where they gave me a percocet and a prescription for something not as fun as percocet.

Apparently I had had an extremely severe migraine (they aren't headaches, by the way. They're actually a nervous system disorder and have nothing in common with the common headache. I wish people would stop referring to them as such). The numbness was just a very weird aura symptom. It was still very worrisome.

Just a note to everybody: if somebody you know is having a bad migraine, you should know that they are not the sort of thing where you can just "suck it up and take a pill". I used to think that they were just like regular headaches, only a little worse. This is wrong. They can be debilitating.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    At my sister-in-law's wedding reception (only a month and a half ago), I started feeling like there was some sort of rodent in my skull digging at and eating my brains. Then the right half of my face started to go very numb.

I was freaking out pretty bad about it, mostly holding my head in between my legs on the floor, rocking back and forth and moaning things like, "Oh god no it hurts it hurts IT HURTS". My wife ran me to the hospital where they gave me a percocet and a prescription for something not as fun as percocet.

Apparently I had had an extremely severe migraine (they aren't headaches, by the way. They're actually a nervous system disorder and have nothing in common with the common headache. I wish people would stop referring to them as such). The numbness was just a very weird aura symptom. It was still very worrisome.

Just a note to everybody: if somebody you know is having a bad migraine, you should know that they are not the sort of thing where you can just "suck it up and take a pill". I used to think that they were just like regular headaches, only a little worse. This is wrong. They can be debilitating.

True, and they don't just come and go. A former girlfriend of mine used to just be stranded to the couch for days on end when hers would hit.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I get painless migraines. Basically, I start seeing sparkles floating in front of my eyes, like some kind of light colorful snow. I went the ophthalmologist about it, he took a quick look and concluded it was migraine and he's seen this before. He said that as long as I'm not getting any pain then there's no real reason to do anything, when it happens just sit back and enjoy the show.

I found out later that my mother gets almost the exact same thing. Painless migraine manifesting by snowing sparkles in her vision.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Any of y'all had to experience a cluster headache?

I've had three of those this year.

Oh my god, second worst pain I have ever experienced

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pony wrote: »

I actually ged headaches based on change in barometric pressure. My father had incredibly sensitive sinues, and he subsequently passed them to me. I can usually tell when it's going to rain about two days in advance. If the rain slowly rolls in, the time before it actually hits is hell on me. Once it begins to rain and the pressure levels out, I'm fine. Once it rolls out, I'm useless as a human being.

aseriesofchasms on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Of course, the worst pain I have ever felt in my whole life (keeping in mind the series of injuries I posted on the previous page) would be a case of the Shingles I got last year.

Shingles is one of those diseases that can be not so bad on some people, and horrific on others. I got the horrific variety, getting Shingles lesions in my spine.

Let me tell you a fun fact about pain: Most pain has an upper limit. Physically-induced pain (like say, from breaking your leg or a bleeding stomach ulcer) has a ceiling, because after a point it simply causes your body to go into shock and you don't really feel much of anything.

Pain from nerve damage, like from the Shingles? That has no ceiling. Nerve damage can cause unlimited amounts of pain.

To the point that I was in a hospital bed, every muscle tensed and back arched so much that I was basically standing on the top of my head and the back of my heels, screaming in agony. It took two orderlies, a nurse, and a doctor just to physically restrain me enough that they could jack me full of hydromorphone (an opiate that is 10 times more powerful than morphine and four times more powerful than heroin).

The pain from the Shingles (and the subsequent postherpetic neuralgia) was so nightmarishly bad that I spent over four months taking hydromorphone every day.

Don't get Shingles, kids.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

*cough* you didn't hear this from me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache#Non-established_and_research_approaches

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

*cough* you didn't hear this from me:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cluster_headache#Non-established_and_research_approaches

anecdotal evidence: i have in fact successfully used LSD to stave off a cluster headache

it worked

Pony on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I get painless migraines. Basically, I start seeing sparkles floating in front of my eyes, like some kind of light colorful snow. I went the ophthalmologist about it, he took a quick look and concluded it was migraine and he's seen this before. He said that as long as I'm not getting any pain then there's no real reason to do anything, when it happens just sit back and enjoy the show.

I found out later that my mother gets almost the exact same thing. Painless migraine manifesting by snowing sparkles in her vision.

Holy shit, is that what that is? I've had those for years and thought I was alone. No eye doctor I've ever seen has had any idea what they might be.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Of course, the worst pain I have ever felt in my whole life (keeping in mind the series of injuries I posted on the previous page) would be a case of the Shingles I got last year.

Shingles is one of those diseases that can be not so bad on some people, and horrific on others. I got the horrific variety, getting Shingles lesions in my spine.

Let me tell you a fun fact about pain: Most pain has an upper limit. Physically-induced pain (like say, from breaking your leg or a bleeding stomach ulcer) has a ceiling, because after a point it simply causes your body to go into shock and you don't really feel much of anything.

Pain from nerve damage, like from the Shingles? That has no ceiling. Nerve damage can cause unlimited amounts of pain.

To the point that I was in a hospital bed, every muscle tensed and back arched so much that I was basically standing on the top of my head and the back of my heels, screaming in agony. It took two orderlies, a nurse, and a doctor just to physically restrain me enough that they could jack me full of hydromorphone (an opiate that is 10 times more powerful than morphine and four times more powerful than heroin).

The pain from the Shingles (and the subsequent postherpetic neuralgia) was so nightmarishly bad that I spent over four months taking hydromorphone every day.

What the fuck.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pony, from the sheer number of stories you have, I'm willing to bet cash money that your name is either Cabadath or Anima.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Pony, from the sheer number of stories you have, I'm willing to bet cash money that your name is either Cabadath or Anima.

I thought Job.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Not pigment dispersion syndrome? I had that and nobody ever called them painless migraines, but they gave me a "starry sky" over my regular vision. Unless you can see them with your eyes shut, which is altogether different.

Mine was caused by hiking mountains, where the hike down would cause the iris to flake off and float around inside.

Kipling on
    3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kipling wrote: »

Not pigment dispersion syndrome? I had that and nobody ever called them painless migraines, but they gave me a "starry sky" over my regular vision. Unless you can see them with your eyes shut, which is altogether different.

Mine was caused by hiking mountains, where the hike down would cause the iris to flake off and float around inside.

No, this is caused by seemingly nothing at all. You can be sitting around doing nothing and then little sparkles will start floating around. I am pretty sure you can still see sparklies with your eyes closed.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh, also, this story.

For the past few years, I have had what can only be called little heart attacks. I can be doing absolutely nothing and then it will feel like somebody has reached inside my chest and started squeezing/crushing my heart. I am unable to breathe or talk and I just fall on my knees and clutch my chest. It hurts.

I went to see several doctors, all of them said that unless I was willing to wear a heart monitor 24/7 until it happens again, there was nothing to do about it.

I created a H/A thread on this forum (I had seen doctors years before joining here) and the near-instant response was Precordial Catch Syndrome.

I went to a specialist the same day and he confirmed the diagnosis. I guess he just needed to know what he was looking for.

It was weird though, it's uncommon after adolescence. I still get it from time to time and I'm 27. I thought I had angina or heart disease or something.

Shit still hurts bad, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »

What the fuck.

Seriously.

Don't get Shingles.

You see a weird patch of bumpy spots on your back?

Don't dismiss at as an allergic reaction. Go to the doctor, now, because if they catch Shingles in 48 hours they can give you an anti-viral that can make it go away before it gets worse.

After those 48 hours, though, you are fucked.

Pony on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    My daughter had a 104.7 degree fever yesterday. We got fast tracked at the Urgent Care Center when they found out. The only reason we didn't end up waiting an hour for treatment is because of the uptick in swine flu cases. The nurses smartly decided to do some "pre-triage" for all people that had flu-like symptoms (getting nose swabs, taking temps) to make processing of flu patients quicker. They had us in a room about 30 minutes after we got there and her fever was down soon after a big dose of tylenol and ibuprofen. To my relief, the tests for swine flu, regular flu, and strep came back negative.

My personal experiences worth noting are the three times I had a lung collapse when I was 18. The first time it happened was on the eve of a college visit I'd planned for months. The pain in my chest started out dully, but by the time I'd driven home it felt like someone was squeezing my heart. I collapsed in pain in my living room, and an ambulance had to come and take me to the hospital. The ER doc misdiagnosed me (I don't even think he took a chest x-ray) and sent me home with antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection I didn't have. A few months later, my lung collapsed again halfway through my first tennis match of the spring season. I recognized the pain and knew I had to go to the hospital, so I calmly forfeited the match, informed my coach that I was going to the hospital, and drove across town to check myself into the ER. Despite the mounting pain, I calmly filled out forms, called my relatives, and explained the ER doc what was going on and about my previous "upper respiratory infection". He ordered a chest x-ray and found that my left lung was collapsed to a third of its normal size. I think he remarked about how I didn't seem too bothered about it, but honestly I had been basically having the pains for so long that I had just learned to manage the pain. Anyway, I was in the hospital a few days with a chest tube.

So a few months after that, it happens again. This time I knew it was coming on a good half hour before it got bad. Halfway through lunch, I told a few friends that I thought my lung had collapsed again and that I was going to the nurse. When I got there, I explained things to the nurse, who didn't believe me and insisted on checking herself. She was surprised that there was no turnover in my lung and quickly called an ambulance. I got wheeled out of school and whisked off to the hospital, where this time the doctor (the same one who'd done the chest tube) decided that surgery was necessary to figure out why I was prone to lung collapses. They did endoscopic surgery and discovered that I had blisters on my left lung that were just waiting to pop and let air escape into my chest cavity. They popped and sewed all of the blisters up, then sprayed the lung with talc, which made it swell up and fuse with my rib cage. I've never had a collapse since, but I do get occasional sharp pains while breathing, and I am no longer eligible for military service or scuba diving. It did make my senior year of high school very interesting, though

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    wwtMask wrote: »
    My daughter had a 104.7 degree fever yesterday. We got fast tracked at the Urgent Care Center when they found out. The only reason we didn't end up waiting an hour for treatment is because of the uptick in swine flu cases. The nurses smartly decided to do some "pre-triage" for all people that had flu-like symptoms (getting nose swabs, taking temps) to make processing of flu patients quicker. They had us in a room about 30 minutes after we got there and her fever was down soon after a big dose of tylenol and ibuprofen. To my relief, the tests for swine flu, regular flu, and strep came back negative.

My personal experiences worth noting are the three times I had a lung collapse when I was 18. The first time it happened was on the eve of a college visit I'd planned for months. The pain in my chest started out dully, but by the time I'd driven home it felt like someone was squeezing my heart. I collapsed in pain in my living room, and an ambulance had to come and take me to the hospital. The ER doc misdiagnosed me (I don't even think he took a chest x-ray) and sent me home with antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection I didn't have. A few months later, my lung collapsed again halfway through my first tennis match of the spring season. I recognized the pain and knew I had to go to the hospital, so I calmly forfeited the match, informed my coach that I was going to the hospital, and drove across town to check myself into the ER. Despite the mounting pain, I calmly filled out forms, called my relatives, and explained the ER doc what was going on and about my previous "upper respiratory infection". He ordered a chest x-ray and found that my left lung was collapsed to a third of its normal size. I think he remarked about how I didn't seem too bothered about it, but honestly I had been basically having the pains for so long that I had just learned to manage the pain. Anyway, I was in the hospital a few days with a chest tube.

So a few months after that, it happens again. This time I knew it was coming on a good half hour before it got bad. Halfway through lunch, I told a few friends that I thought my lung had collapsed again and that I was going to the nurse. When I got there, I explained things to the nurse, who didn't believe me and insisted on checking herself. She was surprised that there was no turnover in my lung and quickly called an ambulance. I got wheeled out of school and whisked off to the hospital, where this time the doctor (the same one who'd done the chest tube) decided that surgery was necessary to figure out why I was prone to lung collapses. They did endoscopic surgery and discovered that I had blisters on my left lung that were just waiting to pop and let air escape into my chest cavity. They popped and sewed all of the blisters up, then sprayed the lung with talc, which made it swell up and fuse with my rib cage. I've never had a collapse since, but I do get occasional sharp pains while breathing, and I am no longer eligible for military service or scuba diving. It did make my senior year of high school very interesting, though

D:

Three times?!

I am amazed that you handled it so calmly the second and third time.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow. This thread. Just... wow.

I don't have good injury stories. They're definitely not of the "OH FUCK" caliber of the ones already posted in here. In fact, I can count my number of broken bones on one hand.

Although last Friday I rolled my left ankle. That sucked. While at work, I hopped a fence in the dark, forgetting about the tree stump and my ankle just caught the stump and the rest of my leg kept going down. And then I hopped on one foot across the parking lot, went inside, put my left foot on a stool and directed me a newscast while hurting.

The kicker? The reason I hopped the fence in the first place is because I was on my way back from a nearby coffee shop because I was thinking that I'd need caffeine to stay alert during the show. And I didn't spill the coffee either, so I had both caffeine AND pain to provide me with stimulant effects during the show. Go figure.

Before that, my last significant injury happened while I worked at Walgreens. I had a fainting spell. While on top of a ladder. In the stockroom with a concrete floor. Thank God I was helping a coworker at the time, or I might have laid there for awhile before anyone found me and my head injury. No concussion, though, but I had to miss the Spring Formal which was that night.

So yeah, nowhere near the harrowing tales you guys have posted.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky