As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let us create microorganisms... and battle!

SlandererSlanderer Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
I'm really lazy, but this game is too damn fun to not post...so, as a compromise, I'll quote someone else on another forum.
This is how it works. Go to this website, download darwin version 2005, and create your own species. It's much easier than it sounds, and requires little to no thought. Simply fill your screen with food, add in around 500 random swimmers, and come back in 15 minutes. Your champion species will have evolved! After that, you may beef up your swimmer by competing it against other creations in preparation for the final challenge: The tournament!

The tournament will be a competition amongst 8 selected species. The fights are simple. One species versus another in a circular arena, the last one not extinct wins. Food regeneration will be set to 50%, and food spread will be 25%. In the event that one species has gone extinct, the winner's DNA will be carried on to the next round. Often this will result in the winner having mutated to become even stronger.

-What is this strange program you're asking me to download?

It is an evolution simulator. It works by generating random "swimmers", which go around eating and breeding. most of the swimmers generated will not be able to do either, and will simply die. The ones that can figure out how to get places will likely breed with other species. Sometimes this results in a more effective species being created. After that, the stronger ones continue eating and breeding, while the weaker ones die off. The swimmers can range from one to four limbs, and any number of limb lengths. They do not have any offensive attacks.

-But if they can't attack each other, how does one go extinct?

They can't attack, but they can breed and they can eat. Often the winner is the one who acquires more food and breeds the fastest. Species can also attack other species in a way by mating with them, producing retarded offspring, but weakening the enemy.

If anyone wants to do this and host their saved .dna files, we can stage some battles.

And yes, they will be epic.

((My hat's off to anyone who can beat my newly-evolved creature))

So, to summarize:

go to http://www.ventrella.com/Darwin/darwin.html

download darwin pond 2005

try to create a viable creature

upload the .dna file (if you want, that is)

EDIT:

if anyone wants to see an example, here's one of my favorites:

ceirren.googlepages.com/viper.dna

Midshipman wrote:
Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
Wii Code: 1231 4448 8299 3147 ((Send me a PM and come join the party))
Slanderer on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    .. Spore?

Zoolander on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zoolander wrote:
    .. Spore?

nah, spore's probably a lot more fun. and would involve at least a modicum of violence. thing the microscopic first level of spore, with less options in terms of bodies, and all your creatures do is eat and breed.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
    Looks like the Catholic Church would have fired the Virgin Mary if they had been in business back then.
    Hey, if God had sent an angel down to the principal's office that said, "Don't fire the bitch, the big man knocked her up." I am sure he would have given it due consideration.
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This reminds me of a little thingy I found a while ago alot like this... You could kinda hook two environments of that up and creatures could go between them, so my friend betted me that I couldn't make living creatures that would beat the dominant life form on his comp- grass.

Grass is a bitch, let me tell you.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    1 Meg download and spore like fun, hell yes.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    my swimmers are dropping like flies...is there any guarentee any of them will live? :shock: the population is starting to look mighty sparse

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    my swimmers are dropping like flies...is there any guarentee any of them will live? :shock: the population is starting to look mighty sparse

most of them wont. a few will, and then they'll multiply.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Slanderer wrote:

i'm down to 4..from around 200 starting..hopefully they start multiplying soon..at least they have plenty of food, from the corpses of their fellows i'm assuming

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I have over 400 Swimmers, I'm afraid that they won't die out.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    shit, this thing is old-school

640x480? 256 colours?

MFC application

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Slanderer wrote:

i'm down to 4..from around 200 starting..hopefully they start multiplying soon..at least they have plenty of food, from the corpses of their fellows i'm assuming

if you want a decent species, try the large garden of eden, and let it run for 20-30 minutes

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    shit, this thing is old-school

640x480? 256 colours?

MFC application

There's actually a new game by the same creator, with better graphics and more variety. I just like this old-school one more.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Some of these things move like silent hill creatures. It's freaking me out.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I found one I really liked so I cloned the shit out of it and they all died. :(

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Too much sex and not enough eating will do that.

79 down, a lot left...

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    is there any significance to the black rods with the dots on the end (yes, a growing number of my creatures have dotted black wangs) they dont seem to work like the other appendages...
    edit: nm..help says it IS their reproductive organ..dear god do some of them have huge wangs

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I tried the Garden of Eden scenario. It's like a gigantic microorganism orgy.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    my dominant species has emerged..they now compromise well over half the population and..they're boring...and pink...what kind of crappy dominant swimmer only has 2 appendages? they are a great dissapointment to me

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    This is great, I eagerly await the results of leaving this on overnight and seeing what's evolved by morning. :D

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I tried the Garden of Eden scenario. It's like a gigantic microorganism orgy.

No, no, that's not a real orgy. I've seen those. Sometimes tons of members of a single species will all choose one creature as there mating target, and go for it. at once. They'll follow it relentlessly.

And, on occasion, sometimes my faster species will end up creating a circle-orgy: they'll each be chasing a mate, who in turn will be chasing a mate, who'll be chasing a mate ..... who'll be chasing the original organism. They just swim around in a big circle for a while. it's funny.

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    My dominant species is a one-limbed, blue swimmer that likes to undulate. They also have massive amounts of sex.

However, I introduced a multi-limbed blue swimmer and at least 5 of them tried to make babies with it, so I hope that my next batch of babies will look different.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I have chosen one that can move decently, then cloned the shit out of him and threw in some random dudes, the hunt for the best is underway.

Bigger wang = larger vitality, haha.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006

feed them

aesir on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    aesir wrote:

feed them
    they all died

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OMG, I've discovered selective breeding...

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    downerdowner Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    My population went from 500 to about 50, and that's when my primary dominant species showed itself.. It reproduced until it hit about 200, and then I started to introduce mutations.

Lets see what happens now..

downer on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Huh, so this is kinda how life evolved on this planet?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I found this neat orange and yellow, four-limbed thing that I kind of liked, but it's absolutely retarded when it comes to swimming and dies out before it can both eat and breed.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Oh gross, one of them just cross-bred with another species as it died.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Suriko wrote:
    The four test-tube limit is annoying.

you know, you can save those in the test tubes and free them up for new ones

Slanderer on
    Midshipman wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    i just saved the best examples of my species from test tubes as i think the race is about to die out..stupid buggers shouldnt have eaten all their food, they're not getting anymore, they should have eaten slow enough to let more grow!

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Slanderer wrote:
    Suriko wrote:
    The four test-tube limit is annoying.

you know, you can save those in the test tubes and free them up for new ones
    I feel stupid now :P

I also now have huge swarms of eel-like things circulating around. They look... decidedly boring. Guess I'll whack them with the mutation stick a few times and see what happens.

Suriko on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've found an awesome species I have dubbed the 'Walker,' because it does just that. It flails one limb, and then the other, ad infinitum. It's extremely efficient, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So here I was with a homogenius population of green and orange little wormies and here comes a BLUE mutations!

I have hence named the blues, my chosen people and lead them to the promised land of milk and green dots!

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I've found an awesome species I have dubbed the 'Walker,' because it does just that. It flails one limb, and then the other, ad infinitum. It's extremely efficient, too.

No fair, I named my guy walker, I will upload soon.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Deswa wrote:

http://rapidshare.com/files/8739354/Walker.dna.html

That should work, but it might not (the file is apparently 0kb...is that even possible?).

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    my species is ready for combat, i give you, THE FLAILEY PINK THING!

www.penguinraid.com/flaileypinkthing.dna
    edit: errmm...do a right click save as...

taliosfalcon on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    this game is cool as hell

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    this game is cool as hell

Yes, it certainly is.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Deswa wrote:

http://rapidshare.com/files/8739354/Walker.dna.html

That should work, but it might not (the file is apparently 0kb...is that even possible?).

I imagine its just a save file of the attributes, then the starting color.

The Fight IS ON.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote: