As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - "Return to form for a beloved series" Eurogamer 9/10

• Options
    YashYash Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    I was never a Sega kid so I played Sonic 1 when the Wii came out and did not care for it at all. There was no speed, you had to take it really slow so as not to be killed by the multitude of deathtraps. If you wanted to run fast, ever, you better have memorized the level. Mario games played faster. I see a lot of fans decrying Sega's "run fast all the time" philosophy but what else is special about Sonic? Without that it's just a typical platformer.
    Sonic 1 isn't as quick as the other games, it has more slow platforming/puzzles.

I don't know where this "You have to go super slow or you'll run into shit!" rhetoric is coming from, because it's wrong. You're almost always given ample time to react to something.

Yash on
  • Options
    willmannyeatthatwillmannyeatthat Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't know how to react to this. It is like an old ex wanting to get back with you. You want to, but are afraid to be burned again.

willmannyeatthat on
    Pokemon Pearl: 4640 3998 1657
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    TSR, after seeing you get violently excited over so many terrible Sonic games I'm having trouble getting my hopes up. And going by the posts, everyone cares about the Sonic Cycle.

Then again the thought of a truly 2D Sonic could truly be a blessing.

Then again again Sonic Unleashed was supposed to be a true 2D Sonic, and look how that turned out.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cautious optimism seems wise here.

Bantry on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Teaser Site showing off platforms

Looks... odd
    http://www.needlemouse.com/

Looks awesome!

SEGA PLEASE DO NOT FUCK THIS UP!

I want an awesome old-school Sonic in glorious HD with well designed levels so bad.

Actually fuck that, just gimme Sonic 1 & 2 with glorious new graphics and I'll be happy.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Looks... odd

Tim Burton's Sonic the Hedgehog.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

Looks... odd

I would not necessarily be opposed to this.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zek wrote: »
    I was never a Sega kid so I played Sonic 1 when the Wii came out and did not care for it at all. There was no speed, you had to take it really slow so as not to be killed by the multitude of deathtraps. If you wanted to run fast, ever, you better have memorized the level. Mario games played faster. I see a lot of fans decrying Sega's "run fast all the time" philosophy but what else is special about Sonic? Without that it's just a typical platformer.

Sonic is about controlling the speed. Sonic can move very very fast, and yes, the only time you actually get to really see that is in Emerald Green Hill Valley City zone. Everything else is about having this crazy fast character but making him move with finesse.

also you're just mad because Sonic is cooler than you.

He's got an attituuuuuude

he's the fastest thing alive

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    agoaj wrote: »

Looks... odd

I would not necessarily be opposed to this.

Remember the storm when Ryan Drummond was replaced? How are people going to feel when Jason Anthony Griffith is replaced with Johnny Depp. "Where's the chilidogs love?"

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Xyton wrote: »
    http://www.needlemouse.com/ looks very Tim Burton to me. Also, I'm'a try to hold out hope that it's actually new and they're just using the Sonic 1 logo as a placeholder. Or perhaps a clue as to what it might be...! (Hmm.... :P)

I'm reminded of the Rayman series for some reason.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Dear SEGA. I havent played a Sonic Game since Adventure 2. Fix it, kthx.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    http://www.needlemouse.com/ looks very Tim Burton to me. Also, I'm'a try to hold out hope that it's actually new and they're just using the Sonic 1 logo as a placeholder. Or perhaps a clue as to what it might be...! (Hmm.... :P)

My first thought was a sonic-Earthworm Jim Hybrid

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    (I did like the fishing missions in SA1, really)

How on earth did you finish them? It took ages for me to finish the theme park level, and when I saw what I had to do for Chaos I decided I would never finish the game.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    BantryBantry Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Marth wrote: »

How on earth did you finish them? It took ages for me to finish the theme park level, and when I saw what I had to do for Chaos I decided I would never finish the game.
    All of bigs levels were boring, but they weren't even close to being difficult. As for Chaos all you had to do was hit the frog once, iirc.

Bantry on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I preferred the variety in SA1 to SA2's. The only fun levels were Sonic and Shadow's.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Ohtsam wrote: »

Shit, I'd play that.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bantry wrote: »
    Marth wrote: »

All of bigs levels were boring, but they weren't even close to being difficult. As for Chaos all you had to do was hit the frog once, iirc.

Maybe the controls were fucked for the Gamecube port, but that stupid frog would never stay on the hook long enough for me to catch it. And I don't think I was able to hit the frog in Chaos. I don't remember, it's been a few years.

Marth on
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    They'll release a few awesome videos, followed by an amazing demo, then every other level in the game will be a pit-fest.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Turkey wrote: »
    They'll release a few awesome videos, followed by an amazing demo, then every other level in the game will be a pit-fest.

In that you will be playing as an anthropomorphic cherry called Pit.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cowbomb wrote: »
    The old Sonic logo style is more synonymous with the classic Genesis titles, isn't it? Maybe it's a sort of separate branding from the 3D titles, sort of following New Super Mario Bros. use of a revised version of the classic SMB logo. Or Mega Man 9's graphic style.

They should release it as 'Sonic the Hedgehog 4'

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PROJECT NEEDLEMOUSE' WEBSITE IS NOT REAL

Been confirmed by Sega employees. REJOYCE!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Got a link in case anyone I tell asks for proof?

Zerokku on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Got a link in case anyone I tell asks for proof?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17511903&postcount=767

That guy is legit.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay.

Actually, I think more Sonic fans have asked you to stop raping the dying franchise and instead release something that you didn't flush down the toilet this morning.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also a non-sega-kid who first played them on the Wii.

1 was kinda sucky, 2 was pretty good, 3 was awesome.

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    GS: Why did Sega decide to bring Sonic back to 2D? Did the success of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure play a part?

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay.

Actually, I think more Sonic fans have asked you to stop raping the dying franchise and instead release something that you didn't flush down the toilet this morning.

No I'd say most people who identify themselves as Sonic fans at this point eat up whatever awful shit game sega shovels out in between posting pictures of their Sonic fan character on deviantart and writing erotic Sonic fan fiction.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rizzi wrote: »

Shit, I'd play that.
    410191-jazz_large.jpg

?

Tig on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Tig wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »

Shit, I'd play that.
    410191-jazz_large.jpg

?

Now I'm just sad. In the unlikely case Epic did make a new Jazz Jackrabbit game, there'd be little chance of them releasing it on PC.

Peewi on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »

No I'd say most people who identify themselves as Sonic fans at this point eat up whatever awful shit game sega shovels out in between posting pictures of their Sonic fan character on deviantart and writing erotic Sonic fan fiction.

Got me there.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »

I just consider Sonic a comic character foremost in my mind, and enjoy those as a "Sonic fan." The games are secondary in my mind (not that I wouldn't love a good new Sonic title).

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    jmdbcooljmdbcool Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    mSJhf.jpg
    Note: Unfortunately I cannot take credit for this. Blatantly stolen from Reddit.

jmdbcool on
    dragons2.jpgdragon-sig-edge.gif
  • Options
    FrabbaFrabba Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I laughed at the above image far more then I should have.

Frabba on
    I'm big in Internet Spaceships.
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Frabba wrote: »
    I laughed at the above image far more then I should have.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

I don't see this as something to rejoice about.

It's like them saying, "all the rumors that the next game will be 2D and have only Tails and Sonic playable are false! It's also a complete fabrication that there will be no shitty rock music with lyrics!"

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    *sniff*If you're strong, you can fly*sob* You can reach other side of the raiOH GOD SONIC WHAT ARE THEY DOING TO YOU!?!

:(

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hey, I liked the rock music in SA2's "City Escape."

Of course, I also liked "Sonic Boom"

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It's like them saying, "all the rumors that the next game will be 2D and have only Tails and Sonic playable are false! It's also a complete fabrication that there will be no shitty rock music with lyrics!"

The website is fake, not the project.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Htown wrote: »

The website is fake, not the project.

I know. And it's a huge disappointment that the site's designs will not be used in the new game. They denied a positive thing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Meh. I don't think I actually LIKE Tim Burton-ish art styles.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.