As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steve Jobs just wants to rock (iTunes+iPod updates and Announcments)

projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
I wouldn't have known about this if it wasn't for twitter so I would think there is a chance some of you guys missed it as well.

Steve Jobs hit the stage once more for a show that was more or less, purely about iPods and iTunes.

First up iTunes 9 was announced and released today. I just installed it so I haven't had any time with it, but here is a break down (from apple.com):

iTunes LP:
The visual experience of the record album returns with iTunes LP. Download select albums and experience a beautifully designed, interactive world right in your iTunes library on a Mac or PC — many are created by the artists. While you listen to your favorite songs, you can dive into animated lyrics and liner notes, watch performance videos, view artist and band photos, and enjoy other bonus materials. And become an even bigger fan.

Looks like a cool idea if it doesn't cost extra and artist take advantage of it.

Home Sharing:
iTunes makes it easier to share music, movies, TV shows, and more. With Home Sharing, you can browse the iTunes libraries of up to five authorized computers in your house, import what you like, and automatically add new purchases made on any of the computers to your own library.

Remember that program called 'MyTunes', it's basically that but by apple.

iTunes store has been redesigned (thank the lord).

Movies bought on iTunes will now have DVD like extras.

Genius Mixes. Get a 12 song mix that iTunes thinks you will like.

Improved Syncing
iTunes brings new, more flexible ways to sync your media from your computer to your iPhone or iPod. And it’s easier to organize all the apps on your iPhone or iPod touch, because now you can do it right in iTunes, right from your computer. Shop the App Store on your computer, iPhone, or iPod touch. Then go to your iTunes library to arrange (and rearrange) your apps and add (or delete) Home screens. iTunes automatically syncs your new Home screens with your iPhone or iPod touch.

YOU CAN NOW SET UP YOUR APPS THROUGH ITUNES YES YES YES

3.1 is out for iTouch and iPhone:
- Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
- iTunes U content organization
- Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
- Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
- Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
- Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
- Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
- Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
- Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
- Paste phone numbers into the keypad
- Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
- Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
- Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
- Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly

All the new iPod stuff taken from macrumors:

The iPod touch gets a hardware upgrade for the high-capacity models and a price cut on the lowest-capacity model. The 8 GB iPod touch will be $199 (down from $249), while the 32 GB and 64 GB models will be $299 and $399, respectively.

The 32 GB and 64 GB iPod touch models are "50% faster" than previous models and will run OpenGL ES 2.0. iPod touch owners who already have the latest 3.0 firmware will also be able to download the new iPhone OS 3.1 firmware, which is available today, at no charge, while those running older firmware versions can upgrade for $4.95.

The only change to the iPod classic model is a capacity bump to 160GB, up from 120GB, at the same price point of $249.

The iPod shuffle also receives a refresh today, including new pink, green and blue colors in addition to the original black and silver. A new polished stainless steel special edition model available only through Apple online and retail stores also joins the mix. The new iPod shuffle will be available in two capacities - 2 GB and 4 GB. The 2 GB model will be priced at $59 and the 4 GB model will be $79, while the stainless steel special edition will be priced at $99. Also, Apple is working with third-party headphone manufacturers to release new headphones that will be compatible with the iPod shuffle's feature set.

The iPod nano receives the most noticeable feature changes with the addition of a video camera, an FM radio, Voice Over, and the new Genius Mix feature. The iPod nano will also have a slightly larger screen at 2.2 inches within the same form factor as the previous model and with a polished anodized aluminum casing. To support video recording, a microphone and speaker are also added, as well a built-in pedometer. Available today at $149 for the 8 GB version and $179 for the 16 GB version, the iPod nano will also be available in nine different colors.

The Nano updates came as quite a shock to me. I figured those would be the next updates for the iTouch. Oh well, cheaper prices and all of that so thats good.

projectmayhem on

• Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i like this thread more.

Fuga on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Why does my task bar now say "iTunes 1"?

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Odd. Mine just says iTunes

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Question:

I have an a 1st gen IPod Touch. I have never updgraded my firmware cause fuck paying for those updates, but I'm finally getting tempted to do so since the 3.1 update is 5 bucks instead of the usual 10. If I get it, will it upgrade me to 3.1, or will I have to first upgrade to another firmware to have access to it?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    sir_pinch-a-loafsir_pinch-a-loaf #YODORegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Hmm, I might have to restart it. I've been having a lot of problems with iTunes and my classic today, though. I think my usb cable is shitting the bed.

edit: nope. Perhaps after a reboot?

sir_pinch-a-loaf on
  • Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    50% faster, wooo..... what?

Really? Not even a crummy camera?

Go zune HD/walkman X I suppose.

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Question:

I have an a 1st gen IPod Touch. I have never updgraded my firmware cause fuck paying for those updates, but I'm finally getting tempted to do so since the 3.1 update is 5 bucks instead of the usual 10. If I get it, will it upgrade me to 3.1, or will I have to first upgrade to another firmware to have access to it?

You'll have to upgrade to 2.0 first, which is $20, then the $5 for 3.1

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Having had my iPod classic stolen out of my car a month ago, I would have much rather seen ultra-cheap 60, 80, or 120GB classics than a 160GB at the same price. Are there really that many people who were suffering from lack of space on their 120?

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Question:

2.0 is still $20? Ugh, nevermind. Fucking Apple.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Here is the real question

WHEN THE FUCK CAN I MMS?!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Question:

Yeah, I'm never paying for a firmware update when it should be free in the first place like every other firmware update has been for all other devices, ever.

You would think since 2.0 gives you the App Store that Apple would happily give you the update for free so you could buy apps from them.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    As someone who just wanted to see them announce something good for the Classic that he was planning on buying in a few weeks, I am satisfied.

iTunes 9 is pretty sweet. I like the iPod management bits a lot more now.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Question:

Yeah, I'm never paying for a firmware update when it should be free in the first place like every other firmware update has been for all other devices, ever.

You would think since 2.0 gives you the App Store that Apple would happily give you the update for free so you could buy apps from them.

That's my main beef with it. I'm spending money for the priviledge of spending more money.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    ObsObs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    Question:

This is ridiculous. It's 20 US Dollars. That's barely an hour of work. An hour.

Obs on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Question:

Why is it ridiculous that he doesn't want to spend $20 on an update to his iPod? You know, Obs, sometimes I think you're contrary just for the sake of being contrary.

/off topic

I'm pretty meh about today's event.

A new version of iTunes isn't a news-worthy announcement.

A camera in the Nano? What a dumb idea.

Admittedly, I'm not in the market for a new iPod, so I wasn't very interested in the event in the first place.

Steve Jobs Liver 2.0? Okay, that's kind of news-worthy.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Question:

Why is it ridiculous that he doesn't want to spend $20 on an update to his iPod? You know, Obs, sometimes I think you're contrary just for the sake of being contrary.

A company trying to make money?

Unheard of!

Obs on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wow, Obs is actually alive, I haven't seen him post in months. Does anyone else think 2 threads of the exact same topic is kind of silly

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Spoit wrote: »
    Wow, Obs is actually alive, I haven't seen him post in months. Does anyone else think 2 threads of the exact same topic is kind of silly

One thread is for cynics, the other is for fans.

Obs on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I hear from this announcement is: Don't get the new iTunes because it will try to update your iPhone to 3.1, removing all your awesome jailbroken apps and the ability to share a net connection with your laptop.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Wait Jailbreak no longer works with iTunes9?

Probably not, but would be nice.

Obs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I just checked, iTunes 9 does not force the 3.1 update on you (though it did suggest very strongly that I update).

Obs, why on earth would you hope that jailbreaking would be disabled? What other people do with their phones should be of no concern to you. Not only that, jailbreaking helps the platform immensely by giving hobbyist developers a shot at the platform without paying $100 upfront. It gives innovators ways to explore and test out the hardware in ways that Apple or AT&T might object to purely out of fear.

There are many great apps now in the app store that started their lives as jailbroken creations due to firmware restrictions in 2.0. I'm sure there will be many more to come as Apple loosens the sillier parts of its grip on the platform in the coming months and years.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Wait Jailbreak no longer works with iTunes9?

Probably not, but would be nice.

Nope, works great. I expect the dev team will release the 3.1 jailbreak within a couple weeks. emot-smug.gif
    Obs, why on earth would you hope that jailbreaking would be disabled? What other people do with their phones should be of no concern to you.

That's what Obs does, man. We missed him so.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Obs, why on earth would you hope that jailbreaking would be disabled? What other people do with their phones should be of no concern to you. Not only that, jailbreaking helps the platform immensely by giving hobbyist developers a shot at the platform without paying $100 upfront. It gives innovators ways to explore and test out the hardware in ways that Apple or AT&T might object to purely out of fear.

It is a concern. It breaks down the feeling of community and solidarity with other iPhone users. Because instead of everyone having the same phone with the same features to relate to, you have these other douches with jailbroken phones doing stuff like "LOOK AT MY SHITTY LIL TRANSPARENT ICONS AND WALL PAPER YEAAAAA! O SHIT MY RAAMMMM"

Obs on
  • Options
    unpurposedunpurposed Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

It is a concern. It breaks down the feeling of community and solidarity with other iPhone users. Because instead of everyone having the same phone with the same features to relate to, you have these other douches with jailbroken phones doing stuff like "LOOK AT MY SHITTY LIL TRANSPARENT ICONS AND WALL PAPER YEAAAAA! O SHIT MY RAAMMMM"

Wow.

Just...wow.

unpurposed on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I couldn't give two shits about what people do with their iPhones. It's a goddamn phone, there is no "community" to speak of other than, "Hey, 7 million other people in the United States are locked in to a shitty contract with a horrible service provider." (On second thought, that is extremely unifying...)

Look, the point is that it's a phone, not a medal of honor. You're putting a phone on a pedestal like some sort of crazy person.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Because instead of everyone having the same phone with the same features to relate to

It's true, I could sit around with "the community" and complain about having no Google Voice app, or I could jailbreak and have one. Hmm.

Fats on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Hey, 7 million other people in the United States are locked in to a shitty contract with a horrible service provider." (On second thought, that is extremely unifying...)

:cry:

There should be a support group.
    CALL FAILED

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    "Hey, 7 million other people in the United States are locked in to a shitty contract with a horrible service provider." (On second thought, that is extremely unifying...)

:cry:

There should be a support group.
    CALL FAILED

I totally agr
    [boop boop boop]

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    JasocoJasoco Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So.. I'm going to choose this thread.

Well, I'll be getting a 32GB touch because the one major thing I was waiting for happened. 32GB for $300.

But still, I was really hoping for the camera. Like everyone else I am shocked they put it in the nano. The fucking nano of all the models? The rumors were so sure. What about the cases that were leaked? They were obviously for the touch because of the lack of holes for the mic and speaker in the phone headset. What happened to that? I can't believe it. I was really hoping for a video camera and a still camera that didn't require me to jump through hoops like I have to with my shitty prepaid cellphone. (The highest end Net10 has bluetooth and USB... both which are PURPOSELY DISABLED FOR FILE TRANSFER TO MACS. FUCK YOU, MOTOROLA! In order to transfer the photos I take, which are pretty nice for a cell phone, I have to take the SDMicro card out, place it in an adapter, place the adapter in my Garmin, plug my Garmin into my MacBook, navigate to the folder with the photos and drag them manually to the desktop, then eject the disk. Instead of what I would have had to do had Apple implemented a camera in the touch, which consists of plugging the iPod touch into the computer, or uploading directly to the sites from the device.)

So I'm semi-disappointed. That there's no camera in the iPod touch. That people still need the nano. And that the nano got the camera AND the FM radio people were sure was going to show up in the iPod touch.

But I'm still getting one because the one requirement I had was met. And I still have a still camera in my phone. I'll just have to do without impromptu on the street video recording for now. Maybe next year.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Do you really need a camera?

It's nice to have, but how often do you find you need to take a shitty low res picture?

Obs on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    All the time actually. My "crappy" Net10 slider takes 1.3MP photos. As long as there's enough light they look good enough for FaceBook or Flickr. Much better than my previous candybar with a 640x480 resolution. Damn Motorola for forceably disabling BlueTooth and USB transfer to my computer. (OS X doesn't even recognize the phone as a generic unknown USB device. At all. Which means I can't even use software to dig into it.) With an iPod touch, it would be much better for me. It seems like a camera would have been logical. In this day and age of FaceBook and Twitter and Flickr, everyone's on the go posting photos as they walk around town. "OMG, look who I just saw at the Starbucks!!!" An iPod touch with a camera would have been the perfect social device. All it'd need is a module equivalent to the iPhone.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    If your friend pulled you over and said "The funniest thing happened, I got it on my phone!" you'd moan and roll your eyes because it's most likely this illegible smeared blur of a picture, and if it's a video, it'll be said illegible picture, stumbling along at 10 frames per second, switching camera frames 2 to 3 times per stored frame (so everyone moving looks like they've been chopped in 3 by some sort of farming accident).

The iPhone 3GS, on the other hand, has a truly adequate camera. It's basically a dedicated point and shoot from 2002 without the flash. The videos it takes are even better, solid VGA at 30 FPS with none of that bullshit non-V-synced wobble that you see on low end phones. Other phones like the Samsung Omnia have similarly good cameras, but the vast majority of phones do not.

Anyway, if the videos on Apples site are not COMPLETE fabrications, it looks like the new Nano inherited the 3GS camera and uses it exclusively for video.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What could have been. Should have been. Might still be... just not this year.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Apple: Always giving us what we didn't know we wanted, and never what we knew we wanted, until after we have already purchased what they determined we needed more.

No offense, but they have got to be either the brightest team of executives on the planet, or the absolutely dumbest. I mean, the first iPhone had it RIGHT THERE. A camera. How hard is it to put that into the iPod line? I mean, even the fact that the iPhone and iPod Touch didn't launch simultaneously is evidence of this.

EDIT:
    Oh this is precious!
    Engadget wrote:
    Wondering why Apple chose to add a camera to the iPod nano, but not the revised iPod touch? You're not alone, but one Mr. Steven P. Jobs has an answer for you: it's because the touch is a game machine, you see. Seriously -- that's what El Steve told the inimitable David Pogue today after the Rock and Roll event. According to Steve, Apple wasn't "exactly sure how to market the touch" at first, but once they listened to their customers and started to focus on gaming, "it just took off." That certainly explains the "funnest iPod ever" tagline, but still, why no cam? "We don't need to add new stuff -- we need to get the price down to where everyone can afford it." And... that's all he said about it, and Poguey didn't pursue the blindingly obvious followup: that's great for the $199 8GB model, but does Apple really think customers paying $299 and $399 for the larger editions would be turned off by paying slightly more for a camera sensor? Something tell us we won't hear Jobs say one more word about it until he's ready to actually unveil a touch with a camera -- at which point it will be a revolution.
    Interview

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Gaming machine my ass. I want a camera in the 4G or I'm buying a Zuuuuuune....

Nah, I'm kidding, but still.

Jasoco on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I wish Apple could get iTunes to actually run well in Windows... I mean, I hate having it, but it's a necessary evil at times. Every update breaks any shortcuts I had made, and I have to keep deleting them and recreating them. ie. Updating to iTunes 9 broke the shortcut on my Win7 taskbar pin, so when the shortcut was clicked and the program started running it would create a new icon rather than just highlight the shortcut I had just clicked.. It's so annoying.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    What annoying is how iTunes 9 eats up my RAM like a sumabitch.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i can sort of understand the video camera on the nano. i mean, it's so small and convenient to keep with you so if something happens you can record it
    but camera phones have been doing that for a while now... i guess the nano has a nice camera?

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Do you really need a camera?

It's nice to have, but how often do you find you need to take a shitty low res picture?

I don't really need a camera. I don't really need an iPod either. But I'd like to be able to listen to music, and I'd like to be able to take impromptu pictures.

And the camera in the iPhone is pretty decent. Enough to be a step above "shitty low res picture" which is what my current phone (and most non-smartphone cameras) takes. A new iPod Touch with a camera was going to be an instant sell for me, as my 3.5 year old ipod is on its last legs. Now? I'll probably wait until it actually dies, and maybe get a refurbished 2G touch as a stopgap.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    i can sort of understand the video camera on the nano. i mean, it's so small and convenient to keep with you so if something happens you can record it
    but camera phones have been doing that for a while now... i guess the nano has a nice camera?

Not really nice... it's crappy enough that they disabled still shots because it looked crappy, and the crappiness isn't as noticable when it's doing video.

KalTorak on