As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steve Jobs just wants to rock (iTunes+iPod updates and Announcments)

2»

• Options
    Racist JokeRacist Joke Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So apparently after updating to itunes 9, I can't seem to update my podcasts to get the new one. I right click on it like I always did, and it just has two options, show description and delete. I've read that if you have at least one episode of the cast, it will update. It was never like this in previous versions. Really fucking dumb.

Racist Joke on
    Steam
    Xbox Live: Kunohara
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    i can sort of understand the video camera on the nano. i mean, it's so small and convenient to keep with you so if something happens you can record it
    but camera phones have been doing that for a while now... i guess the nano has a nice camera?

Not really nice... it's crappy enough that they disabled still shots because it looked crappy, and the crappiness isn't as noticable when it's doing video.

whoa, three crappies in a sentence

i just got 3.1 and wordace is coool

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    Monolithic_DomeMonolithic_Dome Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm actually intrigued about the nano video camera, kinda fits in the same category as the flip video. I've got a lot of little things that I'd kinda like to record, but not enough of a desire to buy a real camcorder. Add in a good 8GB music player for $150 and I'm interested.

The major snag though is actually the same reason I never bought a flip video... no microphone port. If I can't plug in my own mic then recording any kind of usable video in even a semi-noisy environment is a no go.

Of course, it's apple, so damned if they'd put another hole in their perfect little pink metal obelisk for me. Fuckers.

Maybe some enterprising company will build a shotgun mic that plugs into the dock port. That'd be sweet.

Monolithic_Dome on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    KalTorak wrote: »
    i can sort of understand the video camera on the nano. i mean, it's so small and convenient to keep with you so if something happens you can record it
    but camera phones have been doing that for a while now... i guess the nano has a nice camera?

Not really nice... it's crappy enough that they disabled still shots because it looked crappy, and the crappiness isn't as noticable when it's doing video.

whoa, three crappies in a sentence

i just got 3.1 and wordace is coool

...damnit, it wasn't even early in the morning enough to claim I was just waking up...

...poopy.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    it's like 6 AM here
    someone just ate my axle alive with sexed. word ace is the best

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I wish Apple could get iTunes to actually run well in Windows... I mean, I hate having it, but it's a necessary evil at times. Every update breaks any shortcuts I had made, and I have to keep deleting them and recreating them. ie. Updating to iTunes 9 broke the shortcut on my Win7 taskbar pin, so when the shortcut was clicked and the program started running it would create a new icon rather than just highlight the shortcut I had just clicked.. It's so annoying.

re: the bolded part. To be fair, I've found that most apps do that in Win7. they dont' quite know how to behave if you have the icon pinned.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Obs wrote: »
    Do you really need a camera?

It's nice to have, but how often do you find you need to take a shitty low res picture?

I want you to remember this. Because there's supposed to be a camera on the new touch, and Apple had to delay because of manufacturing problems. In several months time, when the iPod Touch comes out with a camera, what will you say? It wasn't needed?

No, you will say everyone really needs a camera on their MP3 player, or PDA, and that any device without it is stupid.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dont know if it's because of iTunes 9 or what, but I just plugged my iPhone in for the first time since getting iTunes 9 and it's going batshit crazy.

Vibrating at random, showing up in iTunes, then going away only to repeat that about three times. And now my iPhone display is showing the apple logo and I have serious doubts if it is going to change.

edit.

Yeah let me tell you, it's pretty fucking sweet that I can't sync my iPhone. That was my number 1 requested feature Mr. Jobs. It's so badass that my phone sits here and vibrates for about 10 seconds before rebooting. I mean really, I thought managing my apps through iTunes was going to be awesome, but fuck that, not being able to sync it at all, genius.

edit edit.
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2151449&tstart=0

Awesome! 3.1 is bricking iPhones!

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    DHS Odium wrote: »

It's nice to have, but how often do you find you need to take a shitty low res picture?

I want you to remember this. Because there's supposed to be a camera on the new touch, and Apple had to delay because of manufacturing problems. In several months time, when the iPod Touch comes out with a camera, what will you say? It wasn't needed?

No, you will say everyone really needs a camera on their MP3 player, or PDA, and that any device without it is stupid.

I have yet to ever take a cell phone picture. I carry a camera when I want to do that. Steve Jobs said they thought driving the price of the Touch down was more important than getting a camera in it, and I'd have to agree. In several months, if/when we see a Touch with a camera, I'll be saying cool we have it but it definitely wasn't needed. I think giving the Nano video capabilities is hilarious given its screen size.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Scrublet wrote: »
    DHS Odium wrote: »

I have yet to ever take a cell phone picture. I carry a camera when I want to do that. Steve Jobs said they thought driving the price of the Touch down was more important than getting a camera in it, and I'd have to agree. In several months, if/when we see a Touch with a camera, I'll be saying cool we have it but it definitely wasn't needed. I think giving the Nano video capabilities is hilarious given its screen size.

you've never seen a flip ultra or flip mino obviously. The flip mino HD takes 720p video, but only a 1.5" screen. Not perfect, but it works, and takes pretty good video. the Nano's screen is massive in comparison. Not that i'd use it. I'd much rather have a camera in the Touch than nano. And I really do believe that there were last minute production problems with the Touch with camera, considering we had already seen cases in the wild with a spot for it.

The camera in the 3GS is actually pretty decent. Good enough for a quick "oh shits, I need to take a picture of this" occasion. I have a palm pre that i use in a similar fashion. I have a Canon point and shoot for when I want to take better pictures that I care about.

Don't dismiss cameras in phones so quickly. yea, 90% of them are still shit, but when you get one that's a decent model, it's good enough for general purpose.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I don't disagree with any particular point there, I just agree MORE with Steve Jobs that a cheaper price will sell way more touches than catering to people who were thinking "man I would buy a touch at this price if it only had a camera"

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    But the price point the guy was harping on ($199) is for the 8GB Touch, which didn't get any update at all (other than the price). I can see wanting to get that pricepoint in as the cheapest way for people to shop the App Store, but why strip the camera out of the upgraded 32G and 64G versions?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    There are real photos of a touch prototype with a camera. The rumor is that Apple couldn't get the camera all set this release, said fuck it, kept the 8GB in production, and used its case for the new 32 and 64GB models with the separate camera module removed.

Apple has a history of axing features and waxing on about philosophy and product differentiation when their shit isn't together on time. Then, once it's all set, they do a complete 180 on their stance. I don't think the trouble it causes is a malicious move as much as a side effect of their weird corporate culture, an unwillingness to admit mistakes, and a slavish fan base that takes everything they say as an absolute truth.

So in 6-8 months, maybe a little more depending on when everything gets sorted out and sales start to lag a little (January?), we'll see the lowest end touch bump in capacity, the new CPU and OpenGL hardware across the board, and cameras in the top two models.

Making the bottom entry in the 3 product lineup seem lame is Apple's MO. The bottom entry serves only to sell the middle entry, which will contain $30 more in components and carry a $100 higher price tag. It agitates the market and get more cream to rise. The top of the line item serves to make people jumping from the lower end to the middle feel justified and, most importantly, skim off the real crème de la crème in the ultra-premium market.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Making the bottom entry in the 3 product lineup seem lame is Apple's MO. The bottom entry serves only to sell the middle entry, which will contain $30 more in components and carry a $100 higher price tag. It agitates the market and get more cream to rise. The top of the line item serves to make people jumping from the lower end to the middle feel justified and, most importantly, skim off the real crème de la crème in the ultra-premium market.

Plus they get to advertise at the lowest price ("from $199") at the same time as the highest specs ("up to 64 GB!").

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    There are real photos of a touch prototype with a camera. The rumor is that Apple couldn't get the camera all set this release, said fuck it, kept the 8GB in production, and used its case for the new 32 and 64GB models with the separate camera module removed.

Apple has a history of axing features and waxing on about philosophy and product differentiation when their shit isn't together on time. Then, once it's all set, they do a complete 180 on their stance. I don't think the trouble it causes is a malicious move as much as a side effect of their weird corporate culture, an unwillingness to admit mistakes, and a slavish fan base that takes everything they say as an absolute truth.

So in 6-8 months, maybe a little more depending on when everything gets sorted out and sales start to lag a little (January?), we'll see the lowest end touch bump in capacity, the new CPU and OpenGL hardware across the board, and cameras in the top two models.

*golf clap*

Well said sir. I have nothing to add.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    wtfitunes.jpg

Me and my iPhone are not amused.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Does this new update increase performance at all on Windows? If not, I think I'll just stick with 8. After all, I have a iPod Nano 2nd Generation, and everything's working, even if iTunes 8 seems to be intentionally slow and buggy. Also, does 9 fix the strange issue with iTunes refusing to play about a good third of my mp3s?

The Listener on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You gotta admit that's really weird though. I mean, is the Touch hardware that different from the iPhone? How hard could it be to port it over? And during the exact same time someone has been able to redesign the Nano to hold one? I doubt this has anything to do with engineering, and is just Apple milking their market of users for every penny they'll shell out. Sales of both were probably dropping, so they put out a new price points on the Touch, and some new features to compete with other MP3 players in the same class for the Nano. But there's no reason to throw the kitchen sink into something right away. You gotta roll that stuff out slowly.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited September 2009
    The touch is very noticeably thinner than the iphone; enough so that the circuitboard may need a total redesign to account for the sensor going all the way back to the screen internally.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Does this new update increase performance at all on Windows? If not, I think I'll just stick with 8. After all, I have a iPod Nano 2nd Generation, and everything's working, even if iTunes 8 seems to be intentionally slow and buggy. Also, does 9 fix the strange issue with iTunes refusing to play about a good third of my mp3s?

Dude, upgrade to 9. IT may not look like it on the surface, but it's probably the biggest upgrade to iTunes since iTunes 4 or 5.

wunderbar on