FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    subedii wrote: »
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »

You are right. Technically it is a bribe. I am saying that it is too small for anyone to practically consider it (assuming that they value their job and/or care about the potential consequences of their actions).

At least we agree that it is at least technically a bribe.

My problem is that once you establish that, you can't just say "the money's too small, that's alright to accept". That opens up the most ridiculously cavernously humongous gaping holes if you go that route.

Theoretically yes but I am somehow inclined to believe that videogame companies are not going to suddenly throw themselves down the slippery slope because we here on THE INTERNET decided it was ultimately okay because it's a joke.

I appreciate you're trying to make a point here, but you're just coming of as patronising and completely missing my point.

Let me ask you a question here:

Do you really and truly believe that how journalists treat this issue is going to have any relevance to future behavior?

Thanks for cutting out the second half of my comment.

I already said I really and truly believe this will be a non-issue because they're not actually going to end up accepting these.

Cool as long as we're clear that we're discussing an issue that's meaningless outside of the vacuum of hypothetical moral space.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

You are right. Technically it is a bribe. I am saying that it is too small for anyone to practically consider it (assuming that they value their job and/or care about the potential consequences of their actions).

My problem is that once you establish that, you can't just say "the money's too small, that's alright to accept". That opens up the most ridiculously cavernously humongous gaping holes if you go that route.

Theoretically yes but I am somehow inclined to believe that videogame companies are not going to suddenly throw themselves down the slippery slope because we here on THE INTERNET decided it was ultimately okay because it's a joke.

I appreciate you're trying to make a point here, but you're just coming of as patronising and completely missing my point.

Let me ask you a question here:

Do you really and truly believe that how journalists treat this issue is going to have any relevance to future behavior?

Thanks for cutting out the second half of my comment.

I already said I really and truly believe this will be a non-issue because they're not actually going to end up accepting these.

Cool as long as we're clear that we're discussing an issue that's meaningless outside of the vacuum of hypothetical moral space.

Hey, I was discussing with jclast about whether this could be classed as a bribe or not, and what the implications of that are. You're the one who wanted to know why that should even matter, and I explained it as such.

EDIT: And seriously dude, you're still cutting off half my response each time. I already gave my response as to what I felt about the case should it actually become an acceptable practice.

subedii on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Couscous wrote: »
    Burning the cheque is not a "different solution." It's the same as wasting the money. Kotaku still committed the sin of prodigality by burning the cheque.
    A different solution would be to cash the check and then secretly donate it to the church.

I chuckled.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Kotaku wrote:
    Not one to back away from controversy, Electronic Arts today mailed out real checks payable to game reviewers for $200.

Each check, mailed in wooden boxes decorated with twin skeletons and the words Dante's Inferno, was affixed to a velvet pillow inside a box. Inside the top of the box is a welcome to the fourth circle of hell which reads:

In Dante's Inferno, Greed is a two-headed beast. Hoarding wealth feeds on beast and squandering it satiates the other. By cashing this check you succumb to avarice by harding filthy lucre, but by not cashing it, you waste it, and thereby surrender to prodigality. Make your choice and suffer the consequence for your sin. And scoff not, for consequences are imminent.

Not wanting to give in to temptation by cashing the check or using it to market Kotaku, or waste the money, we came up with a different solution. Balls in your court EA.

(Kotaku burned the cheque)

Burning the cheque is not a "different solution." It's the same as wasting the money. Kotaku still committed the sin of prodigality by burning the cheque.

Pedantic: Burning an uncashed check is not wasting money. The money is still in EA's bank account. If they had burned two $100 bills, that would have been a waste.

grrarg on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    grrarg wrote: »
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Kotaku wrote:
    Not one to back away from controversy, Electronic Arts today mailed out real checks payable to game reviewers for $200.

Each check, mailed in wooden boxes decorated with twin skeletons and the words Dante's Inferno, was affixed to a velvet pillow inside a box. Inside the top of the box is a welcome to the fourth circle of hell which reads:

In Dante's Inferno, Greed is a two-headed beast. Hoarding wealth feeds on beast and squandering it satiates the other. By cashing this check you succumb to avarice by harding filthy lucre, but by not cashing it, you waste it, and thereby surrender to prodigality. Make your choice and suffer the consequence for your sin. And scoff not, for consequences are imminent.

Not wanting to give in to temptation by cashing the check or using it to market Kotaku, or waste the money, we came up with a different solution. Balls in your court EA.

(Kotaku burned the cheque)

Pedantic: Burning an uncashed check is not wasting money. The money is still in EA's bank account. If they had burned two $100 bills, that would have been a waste.

Quiet you!

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

My problem is that once you establish that, you can't just say "the money's too small, that's alright to accept". That opens up the most ridiculously cavernously humongous gaping holes if you go that route. You literally have no policy against bribery if you say that accepting cash "every now and then, as long as it's a small amount each time, is totally A-OK and fine".

I must have misrepresented myself. I do not think it is okay to take. In fact, I think the exact opposite (although I think what Joystiq did is pretty classy). My only point was that if EA really wanted to bribe that this is not the method or the amount that they would use.

If this is because I said that I personally would cash the check and use the money for Beatles: Rock Band then I should have made it more clear that I was joking.

Coincidentally, I do review games, and I would not cash the check. The only way I might consider walking it down to a bank and cashing it is if I discussed it with the site owner and coordinated a way to donate it to charity in EA's name a la Joystiq.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009

My problem is that once you establish that, you can't just say "the money's too small, that's alright to accept". That opens up the most ridiculously cavernously humongous gaping holes if you go that route. You literally have no policy against bribery if you say that accepting cash "every now and then, as long as it's a small amount each time, is totally A-OK and fine".

I must have misrepresented myself. I do not think it is okay to take. In fact, I think the exact opposite (although I think what Joystiq did is pretty classy). My only point was that if EA really wanted to bribe that this is not the method or the amount that they would use.

If this is because I said that I personally would cash the check and use the money for Beatles: Rock Band then I should have made it more clear that I was joking.

Coincidentally, I do review games, and I would not cash the check. The only way I might consider walking it down to a bank and cashing it is if I discussed it with the site owner and coordinated a way to donate it to charity in EA's name a la Joystiq.

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Sorry, I guess I was getting overzealous and misinterpreting you as well there.

subedii on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Next week they should mail journalists the strategy guide in a scary box saying "Sloth" :P

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Next week they should mail journalists reviews in a scary box saying "Sloth" :P

Fixed

Couscous on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    This may technically be a bribe, but I don't see how anyone could take it seriously. It's clearly a tongue-in-cheek grab for attention, and an amusing one at that. Everyone knows that real bribes in the game industry are much more complex. "Review our shitty game well or we'll pull our future advertising" kind of stuff. To take this seriously as a bribe betrays a childish outlook.

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Oh I'm so glad you thoroughly understand the nature of the argument that was being made.

Grief, I'll just leave off talking about it. I've already reached agreement with jclast, that's good enough for me.

subedii on
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I love this advertising team. Maybe it hasn't been all hits but they've all been pretty clever. I may buy this game because of that(if they don't censor the crap outta the awesome designs they have going for it)

Edit: Oh and I don't know if it's really a bribe, EA is technically just giving the money away. The journalists can still just turn around and give the game a bad review if they want. They aren't required or understood to do anything if they take it, aside from having their souls tortured for eternity.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I know is that EA is taking the whole "EA is the Devil!11!" and totally rolling with it.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'm just waiting for Wrath.

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    AkimboEG wrote: »

It'll basically be the "Go out and fight a dude" segment of Fight Club.

Get proof from your local Police Department that you were arrested for assault and mail it in for a prize! :D

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think this is EA's way of cleverly marketing this game to the bank employee demographic. See, here's how it goes: the game journalists who are by very definition easily swayed by trinkets and free stuff go to the bank to claim their $200. Teller says: "WTF, this cheque is fucked up, what's wrong with you?" Journalist then goes on to tell bank teller the whole story about the cheque. Now the game is in the Teller's mind.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    All I know is that EA is taking the whole "EA is the Devil!11!" and totally rolling with it.

And I did not expect it to be this awesome.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Seems to me "greedy" reviewers will get NSF charges of $25 on their accounts not long after trying to cash this thing.

HILARIOUS move, actually.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Cash it and donate it to Child's Play.

Problem solved.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Problem solved.
    So that more hospitals can get more copies of Dante's Inferno™!
    The evil™ cycle is complete!

AkimboEG on
    Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Problem solved.

Like anybody is going to want to play that game.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2009
    This is like an Activision PR stunt with infinitely more class and style.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HoundxHoundx Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I can't believe that this is getting more attention than MS sending out a Halo 3 xbox, Halo 3 CE and all the other swag that was included to journalists just before the reviews were due. That shit amounted to at least a $500 bribe and it wasn't-tongue-in-cheek. I love my 360 and I think MS is an awesome company, but that stunt really put gaming "journalism" into perspective for me.

I think maybe two sites said they weren't going to keep the stuff and never saw any sites provide the names of the charities, etc that they would have donated everything to.

Houndx on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Problem solved.

Seeing as how EA's Resident Evil clone (Dead Space) was better than RE5, I have high hopes for this god of war clone.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Zerokku wrote: »

Problem solved.

Seeing as how EA's Resident Evil clone (Dead Space) was better as a survival horror than RE5, I have high hopes for this god of war clone.

fixed it for ya.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well of course. RE5 wasn't even survival horror :P

Zerokku on
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No, Dead Space pretty much raped RE5 and then took a giant shit all over its eviscerated corpse.

I do not expect a God of War-level of quality from Dante's Inferno, though I may be surprised again.

Either way, this is genius goddamn marketing.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Problem solved.

It will be so horrible all the children will miraculously heal themselves just so they wont have to play it at the hospital.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It's caught my attention. This marketing campaign is very very clever. I like it actually.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    After the utter stupidity that has encompassed every part of the Dante's Inferno marketing and development cycle so far I can only assume that any part of this latest event that appears thought out or clever is purely accidental.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Sony needs EA to teach them how to stir up some good old controversy. Not the bad, crude, racist kind.

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    LewieP wrote: »
    By the way, EA's marketing department are fucking geniuses.

I am going to note this as another example of how they know how to stir up excellent controvery marketing for very little money.

See the Mercenaries 2 petrol giveaways, and the Godfather 2 knuckleduster scandal.

Very little money in the grand scheme of things, and a lot of press coverages/discussion.

3 words: Dragon. Age. Origins

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    -SPI- wrote: »
    After the utter stupidity that has encompassed every part of the Dante's Inferno marketing and development cycle so far I can only assume that any part of this latest event that appears thought out or clever is purely accidental.

It doesn't really need to be that well thought-out. It's simple: Do things that get lots of attention. What gets attention better than highly-visible controversy? The whole deal earlier may have recieved bad press, but it got a lot of press.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

Anyone who reviews it badly gets sent a box with a loved one's head inside it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I like this but I don't get the 'not cashing this cheque is wasteful and hence a sin!' angle. It's like they've tried to construct some kind of sinful catch 22 but as has been said the money is still in EA's account, not taking it off them is hardly wasting it.

Personally I would like it better if they were offering to buy souls, now I'm not overtly religious but we've all seen that episode of The Simpsons and it is EA. I'd probably frame the cheque instead of cash it anyway but that would just reinforce my decision.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I want to sell my soul just to see if automatic doors will still open for me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

No, that's for the Special Limited Edition of Seven: The Game.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I want to sell my soul just to see if automatic doors will still open for me.

The theory may be tested simply by wheeling a shop mannequin in front of the doors.

That's science that is.

subedii on
  • Options
    toastmantoastman Registered User new member
    edited September 2009
    The routing number is legitimate.

(3(d1 + d4 + d7) + 7(d2 + d5 + d8) + d3 + d6 + d9) % 10 is the check digit algorithm.

Wait a minute. I read the wrong digit. I'm used to the routing number being the furthest left.

However
    125200879 doesn't pass muster either
    ((3(1 + 2 + 8) + 7(2 + 0 + 7) + 5 + 0 + 9) % 10 = 0
    ((3(11) + 7(9) + 14) % 10 = 0
    (33 + 63 + 14) % 10 = 0
    110 % 10 = 0
    0 = 0

Wait, double crap. The modulo must equal zero in that equation, not the check digit. Shit. That's a real routing number for that bank.
    Hopefully, that account was only opened for the express purpose of this promotion and doesn't contain any real significant amount of cash.

toastman on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited September 2009

California, tell your people to stay away. Stay away now, don't—don't come in here. Whatever you hear, stay away! Electronic Arts has the upper hand!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)