As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Outdated Rock Band thread, let it die!

• Options
    RCagentRCagent Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Entitlement: Not just for royalty anymore!
    Worse Idea wrote:
    Bad Idea wrote:
    I'm more concerned with how they'll implement Harmonies on existing DLC (I'm all for paying an extra $0.50 per song to add harmonies and backup vocals. "Feeling This" Anyone?)
    I'm not "feeling" paying extra money for something that HMX devs should have included on existing DLC in the first place. Whether or not RB1 or RB2 had the capability to manipulate harmony/background vocals separately, those individual vocal tracks should have already been included within each DLC file EXACTLY for this very reason of unforeseen technological advancements in the platform.

If those additional tracks aren't separated for individual manipulation within each DLC song file download, then Harmonix needs to re-master each DLC song file (800 or so) in the existing catalog to accommodate full maniplulative capabilities of any and all forthcoming RockBand platform software. At that point, Harmonix would need to re-upload the newly-mastered DLC files to the RB Store servers, so us consumers can re-download the existing DLC we've already paid for WITHOUT having pay for it again.

Uh, those people do know that the vocal tracks in The Beatles: Rock Band are just one track right? Harmonies aside, the vocal tracks aren't actually seperated for obvious reasoins (Majority of the masters had the vocal tracks merged.) Hence why even in the vocal training mode you can only listen to midi beeps to help you out.

So technically, it wouldn't be that hard to implement harmonies, but I'd imagine they'd have to relicense everything and it would be more trouble than it is worth.

RCagent on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Holy shit that guy.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reality: the DLC within 2 or 3 months of RB3s release will have harmonies. The rest will import into the game and just say it has no harmonies. DLC from there-on will have them.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I doubt harmonies will be implemented in regular Rock Band DLC until the next installment of the main game.

Also my first playthrough of Beatles Rock Band was a fucking awesome experience, literally sat down when I got back from work and played right through the story mode without getting up from my chair.

My bum hurts :(

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I doubt harmonies will be implemented in regular Rock Band DLC until the next installment of the main game.

Also my first playthrough of Beatles Rock Band was a fucking awesome experience, literally sat down when I got back from work and played right through the story mode without getting up from my chair.

My bum hurts :(

I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting it in there as soon as they realized they were adding it to their engine. I seldom have a singer in my group anymore though so it's not a huge deal to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Bought a mic stand today. It is great!

For funsies, after a few hours of B:RB, I pulled out RB2 and attempted Science Genius Girl as X drums/M vocals.

Failed at 97%. A valiant attempt!

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    Uh, those people do know that the vocal tracks in The Beatles: Rock Band are just one track right? Harmonies aside, the vocal tracks aren't actually seperated for obvious reasoins (Majority of the masters had the vocal tracks merged.) Hence why even in the vocal training mode you can only listen to midi beeps to help you out.

So technically, it wouldn't be that hard to implement harmonies, but I'd imagine they'd have to relicense everything and it would be more trouble than it is worth.

It's mostly about the sense of entitlement that demands HMX should've planned ahead for harmonies. Likely from a time before they even had the rights to use The Beatles music and thus had any inkling it would become 'important'. Because, as we all know, once The Beatles broke up, no other band ever used harmonies. So HMX wouldn't have ever needed to do anything like this.

Also, it's the demand that HMX rechart everything for a development that occurs later on and then release the resulting track for free. But god help them if not everybody decides to download the 'new' track. It's not a new concept since every now and again a track is released as DLC that doesn't measure up to expectations (Last Resort, for example) and thus should be replaced at HMX's cost.

So, no. They don't know. There's a thread by somebody who is asking now, despite the fact that it had been a 'fact' for a while (and they were aware of it), if any Beatles music would be made as DLC for RB2. And includes lamentations that HMX is clearly doing it only for the money and we should begin to see an interminable string of band-only titles.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Sometimes I wonder why I even bother with an OP.

Thank you Evander.

And I did check the OP (at least, the one on this thread- if it's on the older thread, I apologize) but there wasn't really mention of compatibility with the older RB games. I realize that's easily assumed, but I just wanted to be sure. IIRC one of the guitairs MSRP's for around $99.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yes, all that info is in the old OP that is linked on the top. A quick skim down and you should find Harmonix's own compatibility chart.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Any idea why I get totally different latencies depending on which instrument I use to set it up?

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Any idea why I get totally different latencies depending on which instrument I use to set it up?

Maybe it's because strumming is a smaller movement, so your reaction time is quicker or something like that?

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, my alt strumming is completely fucked up in this game. My sound latency was like -42 on guitar, and it was 5 ms on drums.

BlindPsychic on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    it's possible for different instruments to have different input lag

but it's probably pretty unlikely for it to result in that wide of a variance

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I still think they'll just rework earlier DLC and tell people to redownload it.

I mean, it's not like every one of those songs can be made to have harmonies, anyway. It's probably closer to only 200 songs rather than 700.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    No man if I can't have my drummer go "Eeey" on a separate microphone during "Hang You From The Heavens" then I'm going to never buy a Harmonix product again.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    So, my guitar won't play :(
    The light doesn't even come on on it. lewie will try to sort it out in the monring.

Beatles rock band is so good, even his daddy has had a go, at both drumming and singing. He was better than we al expected, and can only get better.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Is it a wireless guitar? Are the batteries new?

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Is it a wireless guitar? Are the batteries new?

It's probably the Hofner bass... Some people on the RB Forums have said they're having similar issues with the new guitar. If a change of fresh batteries doesn't solve the issue, an RMA is probably likely.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Yes, and yes. The guitar came out of its box for the first time ever this afternoon.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    What's an RMA?

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    What's an RMA?

Returning the defective item for replacement.

It means 'Return Merchandise Authorisation' just for the sake of being pedantic.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What's an RMA?

It's where you have to mail in your instrument 'cause it's broken and get a new one for free.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Check with the store first. Most times if you raise enough of a stink they will swap out the game and guitar for a new one. That is of course if they have one.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Thanks, guys! I'll try again in the morning, well, by that I mean I'll make Lewie try, then if it won't work, I'll send it back. We actually have as many plastic guitars as people in the house, so we'll still be able to play!

LewieP's Mummy on

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    RCagent wrote: »
    http://nyc090909.com/

Best thing ever.

To counter balance the awesome, I give you this horribleness

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCGYlEOVzUw

Hey! I enjoy that movie from time to time. If you're going to be stuck watching a romantic musical with the GF, at least watch one with Beatles music. Some of the actors even put out enjoyable covers, I know theres a couple of people in this thread who really enjoyed Bono's I Am The Walrus.

Endaro on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Arikado wrote: »
    Yes, all that info is in the old OP that is linked on the top. A quick skim down and you should find Harmonix's own compatibility chart.

Ah- then my apologies. :)

Guess I'll wait to see if there are any complaints about the new instruments first.

ringswraith on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Yep happened again. 100% on expert bass on "I Feel Fine" (which is a really easy one) used all my Beatlepower (or whatever its called) and didn't GS it. 36,186 wasn't enough

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    PantsB wrote: »
    Yep happened again. 100% on expert bass on "I Feel Fine" (which is a really easy one) used all my Beatlepower (or whatever its called) and didn't GS it. 36,186 wasn't enough

It's probably the overdrive path you're using. I can't remember it off the top of my head, but the rule of thumb is to use it on parts were there are more notes. If it means holding off for a while, it's for the better.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    TacoManTacoMan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I dunno, my alt strumming is completely fucked up in this game. My sound latency was like -42 on guitar, and it was 5 ms on drums.

I've never had consistent numbers with manual calibration. I was pleased to see that Harmonix thought to post some starting numbers for calibration in the game manual. I used LCD 1 (I think it's 80/50) and it worked wonderfully. Conversely, nothing has beaten the automatic Strat calibration for me.

I had the most excellent first time experience last night: three mics and all instruments filled in.

Harmonies are already posing a threat to my once passable RB vocal skills. Even knowing the songs/lyrics, my brain refuses to differentiate between singing an octave lower and actually harmonizing (+/- two notes from the melody is how it was explained to me last night). I find myself focusing so much on placing the arrow on the line, that I will register too high or too low (and back and forth across the tonal spectrum), resulting in one of the best impressions of a dying moose you'll find this side of Olympia.

That said, this game is purified joy, distilled into magic bottles of happiness. <3

TacoMan on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »

It's probably the overdrive path you're using. I can't remember it off the top of my head, but the rule of thumb is to use it on parts were there are more notes. If it means holding off for a while, it's for the better.

I don't recall on bass, but the song only has five power phrases on guitar... There isn't much wiggle room to score lots of points. Especially for a song that is pretty much just a constant rhythm of single notes.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    KatyaKatya Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    What B:RB lacks in difficulty it more than makes up in pure unadulterated art. Playing the entire game through with few (if any) breaks is a sublime experience. Wow.

Katya on
  • Options
    zimfanzimfan Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Man, I won't be able to have this game for a while

by a while I mean a few months

:(

zimfan on
    PasscodeSig.png
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I enjoy Across the Universe. Bono's covers are enjoyable, as well as most other ones.

Dana Fuchs's songs are fucking terrible, though.

This game is great. The presentation is so damn nice, but the stickers on the fret buttons of my Hoffner have worn off :( Also, I've heard people talking about Harmonix possibly doing another 'band specific' game, but what the hell could you follow The Beatles with?

Sir Platypus on
  • Options
    HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, I've heard people talking about Harmonix possibly doing another 'band specific' game, but what the hell could you follow The Beatles with?

Zepplin?

Hylianbunny on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd would be the only ones it'd really make sense with.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Decided to get this on a whim yesterday in spite being on the fence during its production.

Wow. First time I played 'Hard Day's Night', every car trip ever as a kid flashed before my eyes.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd would be the only ones it'd really make sense with.

I bought the beatles yesterday, and played it straight through. It was good, but there are some stupid beatles songs on there.

I dream of them doing a led zep. version of this game, because I think they could pick 40 or so songs that just don't miss.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Also, I've heard people talking about Harmonix possibly doing another 'band specific' game, but what the hell could you follow The Beatles with?

Zepplin?

Pearl Jam? Wasn't the band themselves thinking something like that was going to happen?

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd probably be pretty bored playing through more than like, two zeppelin songs. Ever.

commence the stoning, band just doesn't excite me in any way at all.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Top 3 best guitar charts in any music game ever ever ever

#3 BACK IN THE USSR

#2 REVOLUTION

#1 HELTER MOTHERFUCKING SKELTER

I swear I circled my room like 20 times just rocking the fuck out to Helter Skelter

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png