As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

• Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    Is it just me, or is Movie Doom more like Ultimate Doom than 616-Doom?

That trailer looked... blurry. I want to see a proper HD encode of this trailer, because I liked the first film and the Silver Surfer is awesome.

A lot of the movies draw on Ultimate Universe in some ways. Which is logical, you get more streamlined origin stories and all that which translate better to film.

And in some instances the movies guided the Ultimate versions. I'm pretty sure movie Rogue was introduced before Ultimate Rogue, and was pretty much the template they used. I feel like there were other examples, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    Uh, Ultimate Rogue started out as a Weapon X slave, then went to the Brotherhood of Mutants, and at some point went over to the X-Men for reasons that are not at all clear to me.

About the only thing Ultimate Rogue has in common with Movie Rogue is that she's really young.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    werehippy wrote:
    Scooter wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    Is it just me, or is Movie Doom more like Ultimate Doom than 616-Doom?

That trailer looked... blurry. I want to see a proper HD encode of this trailer, because I liked the first film and the Silver Surfer is awesome.

A lot of the movies draw on Ultimate Universe in some ways. Which is logical, you get more streamlined origin stories and all that which translate better to film.

And in some instances the movies guided the Ultimate versions. I'm pretty sure movie Rogue was introduced before Ultimate Rogue, and was pretty much the template they used. I feel like there were other examples, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
    Uh, Ultimate Rogue started out as a Weapon X slave, then went to the Brotherhood of Mutants, and at some point went over to the X-Men for reasons that are not at all clear to me.

About the only thing Ultimate Rogue has in common with Movie Rogue is that she's really young.

Beyond the origin, the look is the same, the personality is similar (a hair emo, very young), and the powerset is the same (616 Rogue appear only a couple times before attacking Ms Marvel, right?).

Maybe it's just the contrast from the 616 version, but the Ultimate and movie Rogues always struck me as similar to the point of clear imitation.

werehippy on
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Actually, I'd say Ultimate Rogue has more in common with X-Men Evolution Rogue. Course, now 616's look has been altered and they all have the same basic look.

Ultimate X-Men's Rogue/Iceman romance could be drawn from the movies, though.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Actually, I'd say Ultimate Rogue has more in common with X-Men Evolution Rogue. Course, now 616's look has been altered and they all have the same basic look.

Does that mean Petes gonna dump MJ at the end of Spider-man 3 and talk about "This Kitty Pryde girl" he met?

Of course, considering Kitty in the movie was like 15, and Petes like 20-something that might be weird.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Does that mean Petes gonna dump MJ at the end of Spider-man 3 and talk about "This Kitty Pryde girl" he met?

Of course, considering Kitty in the movie was like 15, and Petes like 20-something that might be weird.
    And then we end up with sequels to X3, Spider-Man 3, and Hard Candy all in one film.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

X3 had me feeling weird already. The actress playing Kitty may have been 19 upon release but I'll be damned if she doesn't look like she's 12. Just check out this pic on imdb... Makes it look like Kitty is Rogue's and Iceman's daughter.

Kitty, Rogue, and Iceman

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    RonnieWooWoo!RonnieWooWoo! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    X3 had me feeling weird already. The actress playing Kitty may have been 19 upon release but I'll be damned if she doesn't look like she's 12. Just check out this pic on imdb... Makes it look like Kitty is Rogue's and Iceman's daughter.

Kitty, Rogue, and Iceman

Holy shit I feel dirty now.

RonnieWooWoo! on
    Woo!
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Kitty, Rogue, and Iceman

She played the Jail-Bait in Hard Candy, too.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    HadjiQuest wrote:

Kitty, Rogue, and Iceman

She played the Jail-Bait in Hard Candy, too.

Film of the year, mang.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006

Kitty, Rogue, and Iceman

"In X-Men: The Last Stand, the original version of the ice skating scene called for Page to kiss Iceman (Shawn Ashmore), but according to the Director's commentary, it was left out of the film because people who saw the scene in production were uncomfortable as Page looked "around 12 years old" and Producers felt it was out of character for Bobby Drake."

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    So if Dr Doom is supposed to return and the Silver Surfer is in there, anyone think that Doom will be feeling a little cosmic during the film?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited December 2006
    I read an interview with the guy who's writing it, I think it was in Wizard. He seems to have a really good grasp on the comics, and mentioned that Galactus was going to have some role in the movie. He also said Doom would be closer to his comic roots, I think.

Oh, and Frankie Raye is in it as Johnny Storm's girlfriend, apparently.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    TM2 RampageTM2 Rampage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Here's the official release

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantasticfourriseofthesilversurfer/

Glad I waited for it instead of watching the dark Youtube one... I think.

Comment about the trailer:
    [spoiler:f2548b0eb1]The Silver Surfer is a lot more shiny than he looks in that first official photo they released. Good. [/spoiler:f2548b0eb1]

TM2 Rampage on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I've never seen the first one.

That was pretty awesome. A lot more so now that I can tell what is happening at the end.

august on
  • Options
    NondocNondoc Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Doom had better steal the Surfer's powers for this movie.

Nondoc on
  • Options
    awesome_andyawesome_andy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Why the hell does johnny storm get to quip more than spiderman?
    I'm still waiting for the defenders movie.

awesome_andy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006

Because they aren't trying to constantly make a terribly depressing film in the fantastic four.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Because they aren't trying to constantly make a terribly depressing film in the fantastic four.
    Also Johnny has 3 other people to stand around and be serious. Since the only kind of comedy the comic-movie writers can figure out is comic relief, it'd be kind of hard for Spidey to be his own comic relief.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    JudasJudas Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Toby Mcguire is a good actor, but somewhat lacking in comedic timing/delivery. Has he done any funny movies where he had to carry a majority of the comedy on his own? I don't recall any.

Judas on
    Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver.
    Situation excellent. I am attacking.

- General Ferdinand Foch
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Tokyo Suckerpunch (2008) Billy Chaka
    Quiet Type (2007)
    Spider-Man 3 (2007) Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    The Good German (2006) Lt. Patrick Tully
    Spider-Man 2 (2004) Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    Seabiscuit (2003) Red Pollard
    Spider-Man (2002) Peter Parker/Spider-Man
    Cats & Dogs (2001) Lou the Beagle (voice)
    Don's Plum (2001) (shot 1995-1996, premiere 2001, blocked in U.S. and Canada by DiCaprio and Maguire, black and white) Ian
    Wonder Boys (2000) James Leer
    The Cider House Rules (1999) Homer Wells
    Ride With The Devil (1999) Jake Roedel
    Pleasantville (1998) David
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998) Hitchhiker
    Deconstructing Harry (1997) Harvey Stern/Harry's Character
    The Ice Storm (1997) Paul Hood
    Joyride (1996) J.T
    Empire Records (1995) (scenes deleted) Andre
    Revenge of the Red Baron (1994) Jimmy Spencer
    Healer (1994) Teenager
    This Boy's Life (1993) Chuck Bolger
    Great Scott! (1992) (TV series) Scott Melrod
    The Wizard (1989) (uncredited) Lucas' goon at Video Armageddon

Well thats his filmography. Looks like one depressing line up. I'm really sadenned they decided to use Grace for a villain in this film because if they had to replace Maguire, hes quite possibly the least jarring transition they could make in terms of appearance. Not going Keaton to Clooney. You'd barely notice the difference AND he has experience with comedy timing.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Well thats his filmography. Looks like one depressing line up. I'm really sadenned they decided to use Grace for a villain in this film because if they had to replace Maguire, hes quite possibly the least jarring transition they could make in terms of appearance. Not going Keaton to Clooney. You'd barely notice the difference AND he has experience with comedy timing.

Wow, good call. I never thought of him, but he would have made a good replacement.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006

Wow, good call. I never thought of him, but he would have made a good replacement.

Jake Gyllenhaal is who they looked at when Macguire was in question for Spider-Man 2 - I think he'd do a better job.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    No, Topher Grace is probably the best candidate.

I mean, look at his character on That 70's Show. A nerdy skinny guy who makes jokes and has a hot redhead girlfriend

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

I mean, look at his character on That 70's Show. A nerdy skinny guy who makes jokes and has a hot redhead girlfriend

He's also a douchebag.

And a carbon copy of Ultimate Eddie Brock, so I'm happy.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

There are superficial similarities, but I think Topher Grace isn't as suited for the gregarious, extroverted mocking of Spider-Man. Aside from the fact that That 70's Show is usually pretty terrible, most of the main character's humor seems to be either rooted in nervous insecurity or humorous observation. It's not really the kind of personality that borders on cruel as he shits all over the self-esteem of a nerd with metal tentacles or a thug with a double-digit IQ.

Though maybe it could work if we actually had someone funny writing the scripts as opposed to people who seem to only be interested in the typical super-hero situations and the problems inherent in the whole secret identity thing. That or Topher Grace could change his look a little so people stop seeing him as a spindly, sniveling ass.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I find That 70's Show pretty funny

until they introduced that hippie guy

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I hate Wilmer Valderama.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The trailer looks neat. [spoiler:d911c73ba0]But I don't recall SS having the power to warp through solid matter. Wikipedia lists it as a power, but notes that a citation is needed. I suppose with the extent of the Power Cosmic, warping through solid matter certainly within his theoretical abilities.[/spoiler:d911c73ba0]

What I'm most interested to see is how his appearance relates to Galactus.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I find That 70's Show pretty funny

until they introduced that hippie guy
    You did not just bash Tommy Chong, did you?

Estupido.

Tach on
  • Options
    tehfalconertehfalconer moonrocks in my noseRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone else think adding Doom for this movie might be weird? I thought this movie is supposed to set the stage for a possible trilogy and showdown with Galactus. Putting Doom in a movie about the SS kind of makes me wonder if Vic will just be a cameo bad guy, which would be a bad move IMO. How serious of a threat could Doom be if SS could just take him out without trying too hard?

tehfalconer on
    ... you will be the falcon, and I shall remain... The Falconer!
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Briareos wrote:
    The trailer looks neat. [spoiler:529ae170cb]But I don't recall SS having the power to warp through solid matter. Wikipedia lists it as a power, but notes that a citation is needed. I suppose with the extent of the Power Cosmic, warping through solid matter certainly within his theoretical abilities.[/spoiler:529ae170cb]

Did you see the Cable vs. SS fight in C&D? They were basically destroying and rebuilding the entire area around them on a molecular level, while fighting each other. Yea, I'd say he could do it.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Man that sounds awesome.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scooter wrote:
    Briareos wrote:
    The trailer looks neat. [spoiler:71cf5e8354]But I don't recall SS having the power to warp through solid matter. Wikipedia lists it as a power, but notes that a citation is needed. I suppose with the extent of the Power Cosmic, warping through solid matter certainly within his theoretical abilities.[/spoiler:71cf5e8354]

Did you see the Cable vs. SS fight in C&D? They were basically destroying and rebuilding the entire area around them on a molecular level, while fighting each other. Yea, I'd say he could do it.

That was awesome by the way. The more I think about it the more I'm excited for this movie. Not so much because of the Fantastic Four, but more for SS and Galactus. Its too bad that each movie has to be in a vacuum within the continuity of the other comic movies though.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Does anyone else think adding Doom for this movie might be weird? I thought this movie is supposed to set the stage for a possible trilogy and showdown with Galactus. Putting Doom in a movie about the SS kind of makes me wonder if Vic will just be a cameo bad guy, which would be a bad move IMO. How serious of a threat could Doom be if SS could just take him out without trying too hard?

They could tie the trilogy together with Doom hating the FF and vice versa, but all of them being forced to work together to deal with the greater threat of SS/Galactus. It's cliched, but it's a old school superhero cliche that hasn't really shown up on the big screen yet.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    werehippy wrote:

They could tie the trilogy together with Doom hating the FF and vice versa, but all of them being forced to work together to deal with the greater threat of SS/Galactus. It's cliched, but it's a old school superhero cliche that hasn't really shown up on the big screen yet.

Besides X-men 2: X-men united, you mean, where Magneto teamed up with the X-men to fight someone who was a threat to both.

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Besides X-men 2: X-men united, you mean, where Magneto teamed up with the X-men to fight someone who was a threat to both.
    Or Spider-Man 2, [spoiler:f81edec5d2]where Doctor Octopus helps Spider-Man stop the tritium bomb.[/spoiler:f81edec5d2]

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    PepperSinclairePepperSinclaire Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Or Blade 2 where Blade teams up with the vampires. :D

PepperSinclaire on
    Signature pending.
  • Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ok, so maybe they should keep in line with most recent comic book movie series and have the supposed enemies team up in the second movie to deal with a greater threat.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Or Spider-Man 2, [spoiler:bddb4fc29a]where Doctor Octopus helps Spider-Man stop the tritium bomb.[/spoiler:bddb4fc29a]

And besides Batman Returns where Batman teams up with Catwoman to fight the Walken.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hensler wrote:
    Mai-Kero wrote:
    werehippy wrote:

Or Spider-Man 2, [spoiler:094187bef4]where Doctor Octopus helps Spider-Man stop the tritium bomb.[/spoiler:094187bef4]

And besides Batman Returns where Batman teams up with Catwoman to fight the Walken.

Or Spider-Man 1 where Peter teams up with great responsibility to take out the green goblin.

DarkWarrior on