As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

In my perfect world, sex is a transient imposition...

electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Debate and/or Discourse
This is designed to try and prevent the derail in the whacky sex athletes thread.

My views on the future of transhumanism, in my opinion are perfectly summed up by Iain M. Banks with The Culture.

One of the aspects of this is that every culture citizen is genetically able, from birth, to choose to alter their sex at anytime they want and then organically grow into the new sex over the course of 9 months or so. This is awesome. We should have some guys working on this.

The sad thing is, while we should definitely have it, I always wind up depressing myself about the ramifications of it for human civilization. I don't think it would really help end sexism by example or improve the lot of women in poor countries. Instead I think if you were suspected of being born a women and changing into a man you'd beaten and killed by a mob. This would naturally result in a bunch of people having this done to them based on wild accusations. On the plus side, it would only be men killing themselves. This isn't a plus side.

What do you guys think?

electricitylikesme on

• Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2009
    I find it amusing that you think it would be only guys that have changed getting beat up on. There seems to be an implication that we would be accepting of men that have changed into women. (Something I doubt you believe.)

I am curious what the benefits are of this? I would imagine about the biggest reason people would have for changing sexes would be to try and avoid a situation that they managed to get themselves in.

I guess, the way I see it, in my perfect world, sex is just another thing. It is not a defining trait any more so than hair color. The ability to change it, if it existed would be just as frivolous in my mind as peoples abilities to change their hair color. Something they are more than welcome to do if they see fit, but I can not get myself to really care about it too much. Am I just missing something?

taeric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    No I'm just bored by that option. Men who want to be women are killed in other countries right now. Women who appear in public without a veil are killed and so on and so forth.

Also the biggest benefit of this is that the female orgasm looks like fun.

EDIT: No wait, I'm not bored by that option. Well I am, but you're right - any women suspected of previously being a man would probably be killed too. That's the more super-depressing part of the whole thing.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I'd enjoy the option to easily alter any aspect of my physical person. Even if I didn't use it, which as a person who's never even colored his hair I probably would not, I'd feel better having more options. Plus, time-lapse three-ways baby aw yeah.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    taeric wrote: »
    I guess, the way I see it, in my perfect world, sex is just another thing. It is not a defining trait any more so than hair color. The ability to change it, if it existed would be just as frivolous in my mind as peoples abilities to change their hair color. Something they are more than welcome to do if they see fit, but I can not get myself to really care about it too much. Am I just missing something?

a lot of people really don't like their hair color. Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would love their hair color and would feel comfortable walking around as a ginger.

I don't think ELM is attempting to describe a perfect world, but rather one where people are more free than they are in this one.

edit:actually he does say perfect in the thread title, but his post doesn't really follow suit.

EDIT: No wait, I'm not bored by that option. Well I am, but you're right - any women suspected of previously being a man would probably be killed too. That's the more super-depressing part of the whole thing.

worse still, that would probably happen in parts of the first world.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well, it would certainly shake things up.

If we could do it, it'd be interesting to see how it affected people (on average) at different ages and other factors. Presumably the young would adapt more easily, but I can only boggle at how you'd be living in essentially a whole new body after 20 of 30 years. How musculature, fat deposits and other structures shifting would possibly need to having to re-learn how to move around gracefully, and what the differences in horomones would have on their personality and outlook on the world.

Would the fluidity of physical sexuality be accepted by society at large, and lead to a greater portion of the population identifying as bi-sexual? Would male beauty be raised to the same pedastle (and expectations) as female? (which isn't to say that said idolization and unrealistic expectations hasn't had a negative impact on women worldwide, or that there isn't pressure on men to fit specific physical expectations as well)

If this change could be triggered safely, cheaply and with minimal trauma or downtime, it seems like it could radically alter our entire species.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    redx wrote: »

a lot of people really don't like their hair color. Yes, in a perfect world, everyone would love their hair color and would feel comfortable walking around as a ginger.

I don't think ELM is attempting to describe a perfect world, but rather one where people are more free than they are in this one.
    Yes - this. I mean, the main beneficiaries initially would be those who normally want sex change surgery but I like to imagine (outside of being depressed as fuck about it not helping in already fucked up places) that over a long enough time period it would sufficiently challenge and blur the lines of sex discrimination that people would be forced to give up on it.

Also, pregnancy wouldn't be so one-sided anymore.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I think if we ever get to the point where there is technology available to do this, there will much larger ramifications than just people being able to do sex changes. I mean if you consider that you could than basically change most of your physical appearance in a painless and easy way you would essentially have fashion trends, but instead of clothes you would manipulate your physical appearance.

Yes, plenty of it is already possible right now with surgery, but that is a costly and in some cases painful and imperfect procedure. Imagine the ramifications of people being able to choose their hair, eye, skin colour, body shape, height at low cost and without much trouble. Hell there are million dollar industries are based on the fact that you can not do this, but you can buy product xxx that brings you closer to this goal.

It might end racism, sexism in the obvious sense, but on the other hand you would have things like people changing their appearance to the currently trendy one. In essence it would make physical appearance less dependent on nature and more like picking out a set of clothes. And to be fair once this is possible I am sure there will be a movement for "true natural people" (as in unmanipulated), that will cause a whole new set of problems.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

Or would it?

I mean, sure, in this magical sci-fi fantasy where a thorough gender change can be made in less than a year, I suppose I'd have to conceed that either partner could then get pregnant.

However, if I'm not mis-remembering my sex education from ever so many years ago, aren't women born with all of the eggs they'll ever need in their ovaries, and don't produce any more past a certain age, whereas men produce sperm by the millions (hundreds of millions?) like it was goin' outta style on a regular basis.

Agreed that we're already talking about something likely impossible, so nit-picking the fine details might seem to be overly anal retentive, but imagine a catch to your imaginary procedure; only people genetically born as woman could have children (and while as women), and only people genetically born men could impregnate people. (barring other genetic issues, diseases, injuries or abnormalities)

It'd be quite a complication on a number of levels.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Funnily enough this is actually one of the last vestiges of inequality Iain M. Banks notes the Culture as having - the naturally beutiful.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    I really can't see many people drawn towards being a woman. People treat you like crap and your body tries to actively sabotage you.

Rook on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

Yes - this. I mean, the main beneficiaries initially would be those who normally want sex change surgery but I like to imagine (outside of being depressed as fuck about it not helping in already fucked up places) that over a long enough time period it would sufficiently challenge and blur the lines of sex discrimination that people would be forced to give up on it.

I guess, to me, the problem is that as a society we have people that really and truly care at a heavy emotional level about their hair color. :) We accept that people are that attached to something, but seem to want to question why they would be attached to their sex. Until we get it so that people do not feel defined by their hair in any shape form or fashion, I doubt we can achieve the same goal for sex. Allowing people to change their current state will only strengthen this attachment.

taeric on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Funnily enough this is actually one of the last vestiges of inequality Iain M. Banks notes the Culture as having - the naturally beautiful.
    Except it's a completely legitimate inequality in every species, designed to breed out undesirable traits. Except, in humans at least, what is 'beautiful' changes more often than I change my underwear. 100 years ago if you were toned and tan you were just a lowly day laborer. The fat pasty chicks were getting boned like nobody's business.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Rook wrote: »
    I really can't see many people drawn towards being a woman. People treat you like crap and your body tries to actively sabotage you.

I was kinda assuming that by the time we are able to do this stuff, most of the body blowing up and trying to kill you aspects of being a woman will have been dealt with. We aren't too far away from managing most of them pretty well now, but all the extra doctor visits and probing would probably be a bit of a turn off if it was still required.

Your talking about being able to grow new organs and deal with massive changes in hormones and such without it negatively effecting health, so hopefully it would not be too huge of a deal.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Funnily enough this is actually one of the last vestiges of inequality Iain M. Banks notes the Culture as having - the naturally beautiful.
    Except it's a completely legitimate inequality in every species, designed to breed out undesirable traits. Except, in humans at least, what is 'beautiful' changes more often than I change my underwear. 100 years ago if you were toned and tan you were just a lowly day laborer. The fat pasty chicks were getting boned like nobody's business.

It's not necessarily the most efficient or effective way to breed out undesirable traits, it's just the one that happened to evolve. Evolution doesn't always go for the most effective route. If it did, humans would have working lower backs.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    GrudgeGrudge blessed is the mind too small for doubtRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    The benevolent Mind overseeing your particular Orbital (let's face it, only primitives live on planets), would certainly prevent any mob violence.

On a primitive world, you'd certainly be either beaten to death by a mob, or captured and be carted around the media circus as a medical curiosity though.

Grudge on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I was kinda assuming that by the time we are able to do this stuff, most of the body blowing up and trying to kill you aspects of being a woman will have been dealt with. We aren't too far away from managing most of them pretty well now, but all the extra doctor visits and probing would probably be a bit of a turn off if it was still required.

Your talking about being able to grow new organs and deal with massive changes in hormones and such without it negatively effecting health, so hopefully it would not be too huge of a deal.

I was assuming it was more than just a physical change in secondary sexual characteristics. I mean even simple things like menstruation would be a massive issue for most people not having grown into it. Apart from a better wardrobe, I'm really finding it hard to see why people would change to be a woman.

Rook on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    By the time we can flip sexes, pregnancy will no longer be something that happens. Babies will gestate in some kind of vat or something, where they will be safer and zero burden for the mother. I mean pregnancy is a horribly dangerous state to be in, and giving birth even more so. Women have ruptured their own organs or severely damaged their spines just by pushing too hard. Natural birth will eventually be the province of extreme hippies.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    It'd be hella awesome is what.

Which goes for pretty much everything The Culture does.

Quid on
  • Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    That sounds like an interesting read...I'm going to have to pick it up this weekend.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Forar wrote: »
    Well, it would certainly shake things up.

If we could do it, it'd be interesting to see how it affected people (on average) at different ages and other factors. Presumably the young would adapt more easily, but I can only boggle at how you'd be living in essentially a whole new body after 20 of 30 years. How musculature, fat deposits and other structures shifting would possibly need to having to re-learn how to move around gracefully, and what the differences in horomones would have on their personality and outlook on the world.

Am I missing out on some big point in this thread? Trans-people do most of this already, this isn't some wild and abstract speculation.

cherv1 on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009

On the other hand if you were a beautiful woman you'd get a lot of sexual attention. Some people would find that enticing.

I mean, I wouldn't mind being treated like a sex object on a Saturday night if I knew I could turn it off Monday morning when I go to work.
    cherv1 wrote: »
    Trans-people do most of this already, this isn't some wild and abstract speculation.

Arguably imperfectly, and at immeasurable economic and personal expense.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Funnily enough this is actually one of the last vestiges of inequality Iain M. Banks notes the Culture as having - the naturally beutiful.

I could see a form of elitism arising where some people would be uncomfortable with gender-shifters. For instance, some men (and lesbians) wouldn't want to be sexually or romantically with a part-time-girl because she's not a "real" woman.

I'm imagining somebody on a date and finding a way to surreptitiously peek at their date's driver's license, discovering that "Stephanie" is actually "Stephen" for most of her life, and then finding some excuse to terminate the date early.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    lizard eats flieslizard eats flies Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »

I could see a form of elitism arising where some people would be uncomfortable with gender-shifters. For instance, some men (and lesbians) wouldn't want to be sexually or romantically with a part-time-girl because she's not a "real" woman.

I'm imagining somebody on a date and finding a way to surreptitiously peek at their date's driver's license, discovering that "Stephanie" is actually "Stephen" for most of her life, and then finding some excuse to terminate the date early.

This would almost assuredly happen, i mean, it does today. The difference with this 'perfect world' scenario is that hopefully people wouldnt be as hung up on it as it would be more common, and also the idea that genetically re-aligning yourself would be seen as more 'legit' than todays transition process.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    One of the aspects of this is that every culture citizen is genetically able, from birth, to choose to alter their sex at anytime they want and then organically grow into the new sex over the course of 9 months or so.

Since everyone will choose to be male this seems problematic for the continuation of the species.

Also, if a woman is pregnant and she changes her sex after conception would that count as an abortion, or would the fetus persist through the change and end up being birthed through the guy's non-vagina once the transformation was complete?

_J_ on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Feral wrote: »

On the other hand if you were a beautiful woman you'd get a lot of sexual attention. Some people would find that enticing.

I mean, I wouldn't mind being treated like a sex object on a Saturday night if I knew I could turn it off Monday morning when I go to work.

I think the problem here is, if you could make yourself beautiful you'd probably do just as well as a man than as a woman*. Or if you could make yourself beautiful, so can everyone else so you'd just end up as plain.

Lastly, if you just wanted the attention, why not stuff a bra and put on some lipstick. It works pretty well.

Rook on
  • Options
    cherv1cherv1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    _J_ wrote: »
    One of the aspects of this is that every culture citizen is genetically able, from birth, to choose to alter their sex at anytime they want and then organically grow into the new sex over the course of 9 months or so.

Since everyone will choose to be male this seems problematic for the continuation of the species.

What is this? Is there some kind of a problem in this thread with understanding transsexuality?

cherv1 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    cherv1 wrote: »
    _J_ wrote: »

What is this? Is there some kind of a problem in this thread with understanding transsexuality?

Why would everyone choose to be male?

edit: Why would that be a problem?

Parent/Child relations will, eventually, alter to the point that they bear no relation to the manner in which I was raised. Just like they always do.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about this idea. One MAJOR problem I see, is if this is possible, how would it affect parent/child relations? I am not referring to how the child feels about their parents, but the other way. I would imagine many families would force their children to be whichever sex they wanted, regardless of how they were born. And I am curious what affect this would have on gender behaviors. (As an example, say all parents wanted their teenagers to be boys. What would this lead to?)

taeric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    For some reason I couldn't stop thinking about this idea. One MAJOR problem I see, is if this is possible, how would it affect parent/child relations? I am not referring to how the child feels about their parents, but the other way. I would imagine many families would force their children to be whichever sex they wanted, regardless of how they were born. And I am curious what affect this would have on gender behaviors. (As an example, say all parents wanted their teenagers to be boys. What would this lead to?)

high suicide rates, runaways, etc etc. This problem already exists.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    KastanjKastanj __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2009
    It would take a serious realignment of the limbic system, the nervous system, the glands and other such networks on top of the quite bothersome fleshy business already required.

But I would gladly see society changed by the practice, and might consider altering myself in a fundamental way.

If nothing else it would piss of people like Mark Steyn, which makes it a noble enterprise and possibility by default.

Anyone here read Distress by Greg Egan? It's an excellent book set in a near future where some people have even chosen to go completely asexual, making their bodies as sexually incompatible as possible and eliminating both external and internal libidinous structures and signifiers.

Kastanj on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2009

high suicide rates, runaways, etc etc. This problem already exists.

Would it make it worse, is my question.

My main contention is that giving people the ability to change something at will across the board might actually make it more important to them to have it a certain way. Instead of it being something that "just is" in many people (differing lengths of fingers, for example), it becomes something that is actively thought of to a larger level.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    It's worth noting that the bulk of the things in the fiction the OP mentioned are awarded gradually as one grows up, not given to a person immediately as a child.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have added it to my list of books to check out someday. In the meantime, I can only go with the OP. :(

In this culture where people can change sexes easily, what are the downsides? What are the gains? Why should I care any more about being male/female than about blond/brunette? Further, why should people really care about blond/brunette? One of my propositions is that many people in today's society place more emphasis on hair color due to their ability to change it, not less.

taeric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I have added it to my list of books to check out someday. In the meantime, I can only go with the OP. :(

In this culture where people can change sexes easily, what are the downsides? What are the gains? Why should I care any more about being male/female than about blond/brunette? Further, why should people really care about blond/brunette? One of my propositions is that many people in today's society place more emphasis on hair color due to their ability to change it, not less.

I think there is something profound about being able to choose. Choosing to have bright red hair, or being blonde, or what not then becomes part of your identity, as opposed to just a physical characteristic.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    The Culture is kind of like Star Trek. Only someone actually sat down, thought about the technology, thought about people, and realized Star Trek falls very, very short. Their civilization is post scarcity, people have a computer laced inside their brain, bodies are heavily genetically engineered to include things like drug glands, for both recreation and medical use, almost everything is run by sentient, computer Minds which, sounding slightly intimidating, isn't near as much once you realize the Minds are just people too. Only, really, really smart computer people. There are literally trillions of humans (Among other species) spanning the galaxy on various kinds of habitats. Imagine something that is feasible with Star Trek technology. The Culture has done it, and they've done it better. Also, fuck the prime directive they get involved with more primitive planets like no one else.

It's a pretty great series.

More to the point, if a person wants to change their sex it takes about nine months I believe as nanobots slowly make the changes. Some people stay with the other gender, some go back or flip back and forth over time, some choose something in between. Now, obviously with our current society at the moment this would cause some social issues for those that oppose it. Especially if they have no way of verifying what someone was originally and start getting paranoid.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009

I think there is something profound about being able to choose. Choosing to have bright red hair, or being blonde, or what not then becomes part of your identity, as opposed to just a physical characteristic.

I guess I don't see what is wrong with it just being a physical characteristic? If we make it so that it is something that really defines part of your character, won't this just really add more emphasis to the differences in the genders?

taeric on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    Kastanj wrote: »
    Anyone here read Distress by Greg Egan? It's an excellent book set in a near future where some people have even chosen to go completely asexual, making their bodies as sexually incompatible as possible and eliminating both external and internal libidinous structures and signifiers.

I can think of sparingly few things more depressing.

Feral on

• Options
    edited September 2009
    9 months is gradual enough I think where the process wouldnt be all that jarring. This is on par with a lot of the effects of hormone treatments for transsexuals. Also long enough, I think, that the decision wouldnt be frivolous. I think the vast majority of people would be consistent. Pick your sex and stick with it. There would be a small subset that would change on a regular basis of course, but I think it would be rather small. I DO think you would see a lot more gender variation crop up: some people would shoot for androgynous/intersex.

I wonder if the 'in between' stages over the transitional 9 month period would be less awkward than currently. I'd imagine yes, given that I think more people would be undergoing it, but its hard to say if the in-betweenness would still be looked down upon.

lizard eats flies on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I'd imagine the bulk of it, if done gradually and slowly wouldn't really be all that noticeable. One would presumably just look more masculine/feminine as time goes on.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited September 2009
    I still think this would give rise to more conflict between the genders. It is would be a choice, to the same level that democrat or republican is. Only, it is something that is very visible and in fact has some control over what you can and can not do. (I'm assuming that people would actually be changing their bodies, and would pick up stereotypical aspects of whichever sex they choose, and lose the ones of the one that they left. If it is just a matter of sexual organs, and not muscle production due to testosterone or whatnot.... I have to rethink this. I guess you could try and game it the same way you do the jobs system in FF Tactics. Boost intelligence in one class during level ups, but delevel in a different class to keep the intelligence high style stuff.)

As an example, it would no longer be sexual discrimination to not hire people that are currently men to do certain jobs. (Or would it?)

taeric on