As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Carolina Vinegar BBQ!

rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
edited September 2009 in Help / Advice Forum
I need a good sauce recipe.

# 1 cup cider vinegar
# 1 tablespoon salt
# 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
# 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
# 1 tablespoon brown sugar

That's what I did, minus red pepper flakes cause I didn't have any.

I did it all cold, but realized sugar and salt were never going to dissolve and warmed it up enough to dissolve it.

Is there a better way to do the classic carolina vinegar? I've got a shit load of pulled chicken that I want to make good!

I've googlefu'd some, but that one so far has been the best. Is there a Good Eats on this subject?

rfalias on

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Grape jelly (try different flavors) instead of the brown sugar adds a nice twist to the flavor... or even try using molasses instead of the sugar.

You definitely want to mix it together by cooking it to marry the flavors.

I want to say there is a Good Eats episode on barbecue.

From a totally different (Mexican) angle (I don't have a recipe, I tend to cook to taste... so... yeah):

Stew the chicken for 10 minutes or so (bring it to boiling and then turn it down to a simmer) in:

Water
    Cumin
    Garlic
    Cilantro
    Lime juice
    Cayenne pepper

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • rfaliasrfalias Registered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Well I made two batches so far. One with the above recipe and one with guinness reduced in a sauce pan...
    I like both, but still am looking for more ideas.
    Is it always necessary to reduce them?
    What about other (odd) ingredients that make unique sauces?

rfalias on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Reduce them is a good way to thicken the sauce (as opposed to using something like a corn starch slurry), and it also brings out the flavors.

You could try different flavors of the peppers as well, like chipotle instead of cayenne.

Chanus on
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2009
    Some people chuck mustard into carolina sauce (even the ones that aren't all mustard). Cumin adds a little spice without necessarily heat.

If you're asking for experimenting, I'll sometimes add a dash of cinnamon or a dash of nutmeg to sauces like this. Just a little bit, to make it interesting and new, rather than a heavy flavor, but they usually work out pretty well.

I also tend to use high quality white vinegar over cider vinegar, because the tang is a lot stronger.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast