As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vancouver PAX Forumer Events: November 2009 to April 2010 Edition

• TeenychickaTeenychicka Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wish I could go tonight :( My costume is too ...drafty. But have fun guys, take pics if you can!

Teenychicka on
    8502184533758290.gif OH YEAH!
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2009
    You guys better recognize my costume or I'll be pissed. Anyways I'm running about an hour late so I'll call you when I get there.

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • de4dmeta1de4dmeta1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    I'll be the guy in the wastelander getup, waving a guitar controller around. Aiming to be there around 6pm.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited October 2009
    So I can't find anyone. This is suboptimal.

de4dmeta1 on
  • tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    Wish I could go tonight :( My costume is too ...drafty

pics or it didn't happen

tr0tsky on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    wet_cat.gif

ACC3SS on
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited October 2009
    That picture is a perfect summary of how the night was.

Nothing else needs to be said.

parabola on
    edited October 2009
    So, a jumpstart, two hairbands and some masking tape, and an hour later, finally got the brakes on my car to turn off. Woo.
    Cold night was fucking drenched.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited October 2009
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »
    So, a jumpstart, two hairbands and some masking tape, and an hour later, finally got the brakes on my car to turn off. Woo.
    Cold night was fucking drenched.

That's some crazy Macgyver shit.

parabola on
    edited October 2009
    I still had fun, but I think it was the company. :D

Sumi on
    edited October 2009
    A+ on the costume BTW... I cant believe you didnt bring a rain jacket or anything.

Also i'm still laughing at security.

parabola on
    edited October 2009
    Thanks!

I could have used a garbage bag and been the sith instead. Maybe I'll do that next year when it rains like crazy on the day we decide to go to playland. :P

Also, does anyone else notice that it's sunny today... o_O

Sumi on
    edited October 2009
    Yeah. They've been calling for sunshine today for awhile.

Yay for people trick or treating, fail for us. :x

parabola on
    edited October 2009
    Well, I'm drying out my costume for tonight. Safe to say it won't be raining inside a pub.
    So, if anyone wants to join ACC3SS and myself, feel free.

de4dmeta1 on
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looks like the order of our Pub Crawl has changed, de4dmeta1. Not 100% sure I'll be there in time for Thickets, if at all.

On a side note: IT'S HALLOWEEN! YAY!

ACC3SS on
    edited November 2009
    I'm ready to blow stuff up, steal candy from the children and cause traffic delays when I have an epic light saber battle in the middle of the street. Ahhh, I love Halloween.

Sumi on
  • honestDhonestD Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    So you know, it's been a while since we've had a dedicated games night, so that's what we're doing.

Saturday, Nov 7, 2pm-late
    HonestD and GreenWitch's house
    Board Games
    Card Games
    XBOX
    Wii
    You know...

I'm thinking pizza, because cooking is always a bit of a hassle, and the cleanup is easier.

Please PM if you're in, especially if you don't know where we live!

honestD on
    In Vancouver? Want to meet up and play some Games?
    http://www.meetup.com/Vancouver-Gamers-Group/

Now with Twitter! @HonestoDoragon

Pokemon Black: 4555 9510 3686
  • AbsintheMindedAbsintheMinded Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Looks like fun. I'm actually working until 4pm on Saturday.... if I can find a way out there after work I'll come by, but the combination of having to show up late and leech a ride off someone else makes it doubtfull.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited November 2009
    Looks like fun. I'm actually working until 4pm on Saturday.... if I can find a way out there after work I'll come by, but the combination of having to show up late and leech a ride off someone else makes it doubtfull.

I may have already made plans for the 7th, but if not, I could chill in Van until you are ready to go and then head out with you. I'll edit this after I check my schedule.

tr0tsky on
    edited November 2009
    Totally down for that, can bring games[board and otherwise], and chip in for fud. I can likely also provide rides to people, provided they aren't too far afield.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited November 2009
    de4dmeta1 wrote: »
    Totally down for that, can bring games[board and otherwise], and chip in for fud. I can likely also provide rides to people, provided they aren't too far afield.

I doubt you'll need to bring board games... D's got a frickin wall of boxes =D

tr0tsky on
    edited November 2009

Neither of those should be a problem, we'll be going until late, so you can show up when you like. If you're willing to brave the Skytrain, we can have someone pick you up at King George, if you can't find a ride.

@De4dmeta1: Tr0tsky is right, we do have an awful lot of games, but don't let that stop you from bringing some of your own, if there's something that you'd like to play or think others would like to try.

Highlights of my collection include:

Zombinion - Zombie themed Dominion set with Entrails expansion (my genocide set isn't printed yet)
    Starcraft the board game
    Railroad Tycoon

As well as the usual set of games that are popular with the sweater-vest crowd, Puerto Rico, Princes Of Florence, Settlers, Ticket to Ride, etc

Lastly, everyone remember to bring your DS! and if anyone happens to have a copy of Mario Party DS, please bring that, too!

honestD on

edited November 2009
    I own cranium...

..but no one seems to like cranium. *cry*

Sumi on
  • GeneralsGenerals Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Should have started looking into this message board whiles ago. Anyways.

For anyone who are living in the island or are interested in gaming, there is supposedly a gaming convention being held in Victoria around next year. It's called Gottacon and from what I've heard, this will be the second year of the convention and they were able to get ~600 people in the first one.

Here's the info.
    evanhatch wrote:

GottaCon 2010 is a Canadian gaming convention to be held in Victoria British Columbia on February 5, 6 and 7, 2010 with over 20,000 square feet of gaming space. The convention doors open at 5:00pm Friday and do not close until 7:00pm Sunday.

GottaCon is a broad spectrum gaming convention to be held annually that embraces the science fiction and fantasy genres, covers many related hobbies and offers a one stop experience for the fans and enthusiasts of those genres. The vision of GottaCon is to host something for everyone including tournaments in collectible/non-collectible miniatures, collectible trading cards, role-playing games, board games, and electronic games as well as special guests, demonstrations, contests, information sessions, workshops, a variety of vendors and sponsors. Our goal is to deliver a high quality and exciting environment that will establish GottaCon as an annual destination that participants will return to for years to come. February 5th, 6th and 7th of 2010 will be our second show and will continue to take place annually on the first weekend in February for the years to come.

GottaCon 2009 saw over 600 people – an amazing turnout considering it was its inception year. GottaCon intends to deliver another successful year and is projecting attendance levels to be between 750 and 1000.

Where will it be held?
    GottaCon will take place at Pearkes Recreation Centre at 3100 Tillicum Rd. Victoria BC with approximately 20,000 square feet of floor space.

Who do I contact about getting my school/club/community involved?
    Please contact Evan Hatch - ehatch@gottacon.com

Who do I contact about running events at GottaCon 2010?
    Please contact Evan Hatch - ehatch@gottacon.com

Who do I contact about becoming a sponsor at GottaCon 2010?
    Please contact Michael Lum - mlum@gottacon.com

Who do I contact about becoming a vendor at GottaCon 2010?
    Please contact Michael Lum - mlum@gottacon.com or Evan Hatch - ehatch@gottacon.com

Who do I contact if I want to volunteer at GottaCon 2010?
    Please contact Carson Upton - cupton@gottacon.com

Where can I see a list of events being run at this convention?
    Please stay tuned to our website and message board for our events listing.

For more information on our convention please visit us at http://www.gottacon.com or send us an email. Also follow us on twitter at http://twitter.com/GottaCon.

Feel free to pop in if you are curious.

Generals on
    jsn: and there was some dude(note that: DUDE) dressed up as Mai from KOF
    Jeff: I see
    jsn: and I was like "I wonder how he goes to the washroom, does he just like...brush his loincloth to the side or what?"
    jsn: friend was like "DUDE he's BEHIND YOU"
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I'll be at Gotta-Con :)

It should be awesome, they even have an event where you can play games on the giant screens at Silver City :)

Also, if ppl from the mainland are interested in going, but short on cash, I have floor-space room at my place for a couple people. PM me if interested. (Cat Household btw)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited November 2009
    Just wanted to let you guys know I can't come on saturday because my friend is having a birthday dinner. :( Next time maybe.

Sumi on
    edited November 2009
    Sumi wrote: »
    Just wanted to let you guys know I can't come on saturday because my friend is having a birthday dinner. :( Next time maybe.

That the same friend that scheduled her wedding during PAX by chance? lol.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited November 2009
    Lol no.

But how dare she have a birthday on a day that there is a gaming night planned. Some people are just so selfish.

Sumi on
    edited November 2009
    That's too bad Sumi, I was looking forward to getting my ass kicked by you at Tetris.

If Eric isn't going to the Selfish Friend's Birthday, would you let him know that he's invited?

honestD on

edited November 2009
    Yeah no prob, I'll totally give him the option. :)

Sumi on
    edited November 2009
    I should be heading out for this shindig from Richmond, sometime between 2 and 3pm. If anyone who's coming is on the ensuing route and still needs a ride, let me know by PM, we'll make something work.

de4dmeta1 on
    edited November 2009
    I think I'm gonna pass on tonight. I have an annoying cold atm and I'd rather just try and sleep it off.

tr0tsky on
    edited November 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    I think I'm gonna pass on tonight. I have an annoying cold atm and I'd rather just try and sleep it off.

'tis the season I guess.

I'm feeling pretty lousy as well today. I was considering toughing it out and going anyway.... but doing a long skytrain trip today probably isn't a good idea, a bit too cold and damp out.

I guess I'll be under a blanket on my couch playing Dragon Age this afternoon if anyone needs me. After I get home from work at 5 that is.... :cry:

AbsintheMinded on
    edited November 2009
    tr0tsky wrote: »

'tis the season I guess.

I'm feeling pretty lousy as well today. I was considering toughing it out and going anyway.... but doing a long skytrain trip today probably isn't a good idea, a bit too cold and damp out.

I hope you guys feel better! Always sucks to be sick...

We will be having another event in the new year (but I'll announce it soom) so stay tuned!

honestD on

edited November 2009
    So I'm heading out to T-town tonight, and hopefully will figure out the definite date for our party. :)

Sumi on
    edited November 2009
    honestD wrote: »
    I hope you guys feel better! Always sucks to be sick...

We will be having another event in the new year (but I'll announce it soom) so stay tuned!

I felt a lot better once I was able to get home and dry off/warm up.

If I didn't have to jump on the sky train for the trip I probably would have still shown up.... but I figured asking deadmetal to wait around 3 hours for me to get off work before heading out wouldn't have been reasonable. lol.

How was the gaming night anyway?

I might be having a small gaming night at my place (possibly on the 22nd) but I'll be sending out PM's about that later. I don't have tons of space so it won't be a big party atmosphere, probably just for the 8-10 of us that are regular forum event attendees.

AbsintheMinded on
    edited November 2009
    You know, having New Years fall on a Friday, means that people are going to be going extra hard on New Years eve, being that they have three days to recuperate. However, it’s not common knowledge that the best cure for a two day hangover (if you’re still feeling it on the day after New Years Day) is to drive out to Surrey and play some board/card/video games! In that spirit, GreenWitch and I have decided to do another games day, and we’re doing it open house style! That’s right, we’re having people over all day, starting with brunch and going till, well until everyone’s left. So, everyone should be familiar with my standard W5 format of event announcement by now:

GreenWitch and HonestD’s New Years Open House Game Day Extravaganza

Who: Everyone!
    What: Board, Card and Video Games. I’m thinking RockBand downstairs until someone comes up with something better. Perhaps a potluck for dinner? We do brunch, you do dinner? Does that sound fair?
    Where: Our house, if you don’t know where it is, just drop me a line
    When: 11am-Close Jan 2, 2010
    Why: Because. That’s why.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW!
    - Due to limited space, we are making this an ‘By Invitation Only’ event. If you are a work friend or family member and you think that so-and-so would like to come, CHECK WITH ME FIRST, THIS MEANS YOU!
    -If you have a DS, bring it
    -If you have a game you would like to play/introduce us to, bring it
    -If you have the swine flu, don’t bring it.
    -RSVP with an approximate arrival time and what meals you’re coming for, so that we can plan who eats how much of what.

honestD on

edited November 2009

How was the gaming night anyway?

I might be having a small gaming night at my place (possibly on the 22nd) but I'll be sending out PM's about that later. I don't have tons of space so it won't be a big party atmosphere, probably just for the 8-10 of us that are regular forum event attendees.

It's funny you should mention that, as it wasn't a big party atmosphere at our place either (it never is, it's usually more of a chill-with-friends vibe). That's what the New Years games day is for (which will also have a chill-with-friends vibe).

honestD on

edited November 2009
    I will possibly be working until at least 1:30 on the 2nd, if not 3 or 4, but i'll try to make it if people are still there at that time and it's not winding down.

Sumi on
    edited November 2009
    So friends, Save the 12th of December for the Super-Awesome-Happy-Fun-Times-Videogaming-Party-Extravaganza!!!!11!!!1!!

It's at Eric's place in Tsawwasen. We don't have a start time yet but there will be pizza, fondue (amongst other snacks), drinking jenga, drinking videogames, possibly even drinking board games, a place for everyone to sleep, and even waffles in the morning.

If you're on the forms and have met me at at least two pre or post pax events, then you're definitely invited! If you want to bring someone, please ask via PM first.

(I'm posting this rather than PMing it so that I don't forget anyone. If anyone reads this who I don't know personally, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to make anyone feel left out. Also there is a bit of leeway if someone I do know says you're cool.)

So far we've only got one TV and a PS3 and a Wii, so hopefully we can get one or two more screens and an Xbox or two. I know some of you have offered to bring stuff, so if you haven't changed your mind, could you please PM me with what you can bring? Also please just send me a PM if you're planning on coming.

I am super looking forward to this, I hope I don't sound too much like a nerdy little kid here. :)

Sumi on
This discussion has been closed.